Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That is of course impossible for all current AI image generators, which were trained on unlicensed copyrighted material.
So it is a de facto ban on AI image generation.

adobe firefly might be permissible since that's only trained on adobes stock photo library, which they own the licenses for

stability/midjourney on the other hand... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah valve are for sure half assing it and enforcing this inconsistently. i mean, it's valve. they always do that

but their actual statement, quoted in that article, describes a policy of banning AI:

half assing it is, which I think doesn't qualify as "policy" because if there are actual (that threat isn't unreal even) fear over copyright issues, this would be in place retroactive and for everything and the prominent case I linked seems to be extremely unaffected, so that I absolutely wouldn't refer to this as "policy" at any point but half-assed (yes) handling of the whole "AI" dreck that is currently going on

/e to be clear I take offense in the loving terribel yellow press like blogpost poo poo
One (1) game we do not know anything about was rejected by Valve with the implication its because of "AI art". Could've been midjourney gens for celebrity likes for a dating sim or whatnot, I highly doubt the capacity for individual texture scanning for generated content is realistic.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 30, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

repiv posted:

adobe firefly might be permissible since that's only trained on adobes stock photo library, which they own the licenses for

stability/midjourney on the other hand... lol
ironically i believe there's stuff on adobe stock that is made in MJ/SD

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

I just 100% completed Dredge, it's a good game. I wouldn't say anything about it was great, it just stayed solid the whole way through.

this one looked pretty fun but i think im gonna wait a bit on it so they have time to add more content, cause i doubt ill play it twice

i think they have at least one dlc planned?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

ironically i believe there's stuff on adobe stock that is made in MJ/SD

doubt they included their 70ksomething MJ pictures in training data, but Adobes sources are still very much obscure with just general statements not really saying where they gather the data ("legally obtained")

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this one looked pretty fun but i think im gonna wait a bit on it so they have time to add more content, cause i doubt ill play it twice

yeah, they plan to release a DLC in Q4 this year, it'll be a paid one though. I'd say yes, you won't play it twice but might still be cheaper to buy the base game now and the DLC then. But idk, its only 5€ off so there may be a complete edition then for roughly the same

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I'm gonna say it's worth the current price. It's a very strange, creepy and unique game, and it's just so well made.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Zathril posted:

I'm planning to pick up a strategy game during the sale, any recommendations between Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga, Triangle Strategy and Tactics Ogre: Reborn?

May I suggest horizons gate? It's a cool indie tactics game on boats.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The C&C remake is like 70% off just get that instead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
baffling that freedom planet 2 only ever gets 10% discounts. i wouldn't mind trying it after the last one, but not that much

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Kins posted:

Just got a Humble Choice e-mail teasing next month. Their headliner for July is The Outer Wilds: Spacer's Choice Edition.

Wilds or Worlds

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wealds

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

outer wilds should have been so, so much more popular and well-known than it is and it actually cheeses me off that that happened lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll take outer worlds for free, zero shot I actually play it, but such is life

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ciaphas posted:

Wilds or Worlds

"Spacer's Choice" is Outer Worlds lol

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Ragequit posted:

The dock is on sale along with the Steam Deck. It sounds like the official dock is the best way to go as it continues to receive updates and has a dual screen option. Is that still accurate?

Dock is great, but when I connect it to my LG flatscreen TV I have to unplug the power from the dock, plug the Deck, then plug the power back in.

It's annoying but it works!

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Thanks Anno and Gyoru, I have never played any Tactics Ogre games, is this the best version? the recent reviews are mixed.

Jarvisi posted:

May I suggest horizons gate? It's a cool indie tactics game on boats.

This is a good call, I did like their last two games, thanks, how is the procedural generation?

Mordja posted:

The C&C remake is like 70% off just get that instead.

The C&C remake was so good, I am impatiently hoping for a sequel, loved those games.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Zathril posted:

Thanks Anno and Gyoru, I have never played any Tactics Ogre games, is this the best version? the recent reviews are mixed.

For a new player I’d think absolutely yes. I’ve played all three major versions of the game in English, and this is probably my favorite, though there are pros and cons vs. prior ones.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Wiltsghost posted:

Gollum was so bad they aren't making games anymore, just publishing. Rip

https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1674811115040129026

Yeesh, what was the other LoTR game they had lined up?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yeesh, what was the other LoTR game they had lined up?

A gollum sequel apparently, haha

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's that from?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ultrafilter posted:

What's that from?

Ghost Trick, one of the greats.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

What's that from?

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If the demo seems remotely interesting to you, then play it. Preferably without looking up anything about it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm greatly enjoying watching her solo game of one-upsmanship

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sab669 posted:

A gollum sequel apparently, haha

lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goIIum except the l's are roman numerals

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My steam wallet says I have 5 bucks or so but if I look at my account I actually have zero. Has anyone else had that issue?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Just finished Sayonara Wild Hearts... well, that was quick! It's really not a long game if you want to just want to complete it - something like an hour to an hour and a half, but boy is it sure a fantastic experience. If you really want to master it, there's Gold ranking everything and doing all the Zodiac Challenges, but that's a little bit too much for me. Definitely a game to get on sale if you can swing it, but fortunately it does seem to go on sale all the time including during the current one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

repiv posted:

lol at using AI writing for a game, the quality of prose you get out of even the best LLMs is absolutely dire

The quality of writing in most games is absolutely dire too

Llms produce bland competent prose that a clever twelve year old would write and that's about the level of 80% of video games

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah, that just happened!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

My steam wallet says I have 5 bucks or so but if I look at my account I actually have zero. Has anyone else had that issue?

The new client seems to have a complicated relationship with the backend currently. Yesterday some of my Humble Choice keys went through but the games didn't actually show up. And then similarly I bought a clutch of games and zeroed out my wallet but the client thought otherwise.

Both problems were fixed after restarting Steam and/or jiggling between offline/online status.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Llms produce bland competent prose that a clever twelve year old would write and that's about the level of 80% of video games

that is true i suppose, but LLMs make it so easy to produce vast amounts of bland white-noise text that i'm not looking forward to seeing devs get too enthusiastic with them

i just tried asking chatgpt to write an item description for a master key in an RPG and it shat out like 8 paragraphs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

play better games

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

repiv posted:

that is true i suppose, but LLMs make it so easy to produce vast amounts of bland white-noise text that i'm not looking forward to seeing devs get too enthusiastic with them

i just tried asking chatgpt to write an item description for a master key in an RPG and it shat out like 8 paragraphs

That could probably be refined by modifying the prompt, but that's me playing devil's advocate, because I think human-generated writing has an intrinsic value that AI writing doesn't have, even lovely writing. We all need to believe in a couple of silly things, that's one of mine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

That could probably be refined by modifying the prompt, but that's me playing devil's advocate, because I think human-generated writing has an intrinsic value that AI writing doesn't have, even lovely writing. We all need to believe in a couple of silly things, that's one of mine.

yeah, if i specify that i want a "one sentence" description then it will oblige, but at that point it just states the obvious in the most boring way possible

i'm contrasting with the item descriptions in dark souls which work lots of little worldbuilding details into just one or two sentences each, and i can't imagine how you'd write those with an LLM without it being easier to just write it yourself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

repiv posted:

yeah, if i specify that i want a "one sentence" description then it will oblige, but at that point it just states the obvious in the most boring way possible

i'm contrasting with the item descriptions in dark souls which work lots of little worldbuilding details into just one sentence each, and i can't imagine how you'd write those with an LLM without it being easier to just write it yourself

That's like one of the best item descriptions around though. But yeah as you say you could get an LLM to write those but it would be a lot of effort in figuring out how to do it, so much that it's not worth it.

I was thinking more along the lines of a descriptions for items in a ultra-low-budget indie text-based lifesim (or that's what I'm using it for). Think Rimworld crossed with Academagia and A Legionary's Life.

I can write those manually but ultimately it would be even shittier and involve a lot of copy&paste, because writing intricate descriptions that fit the theme/gameworld would take literal man-months or man-years.

It's obviously a very different situation for an AAA studio, or even a mid-sized indie dev team with a few writers and artists.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

play better games

I shall not