Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tomarse posted:

Anybody who deliberately meshes wifi AP's in the same building deserves to be locked in an L-shaped loft space on a hot day and forced to download lots of massive files.

This L shaped house better end up with a properly managed wifi setup

poo poo wifi sucks for tons of connections.
Good wifi is better than your standard 1gbit wired connection now.

Max throughput is faster if you have one device, but the latency is longer and less consistent and that speed is a total shared by all your devices. I wouldn't say that's "better" without some qualifications.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Lotta network partisans ITT. Bet you lot also had xbox vs playstation arguments at school.

My Sega Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

Max throughput is faster if you have one device, but the latency is longer and less consistent and that speed is a total shared by all your devices. I wouldn't say that's "better" without some qualifications.

My Sega Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Best internet is pure artisinal 28.8 kilobaud. Prove me wrong :colbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well the 28.8k in an old modem like that stood for kbps or kilobytes per second. Baud is another unit:
https://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/scen103/projects/96s/thosguys/baud.html

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well the 28.8k in an old modem like that stood for kbps or kilobytes per second. Baud is another unit:
https://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/scen103/projects/96s/thosguys/baud.html

Very brave to “um actually” nerds on a nerd topic and be wrong.

Hand in your mouse and your keyboard.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 29, 2023

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Very brave to “um actually” nerds on a nerd topic and be wrong.

Hand in your mouse and your keyboard.

Also very brave to correct a correct correction wrongly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

Also very brave to correct a correct correction wrongly

Baud is an equivalent unit to bits/sec and older modems were not in kilobytes/sec. Surely you don't think 56k dialup modems were just shy of half a megabit? First gen ADSL in 2001 was 512kbit/s. Not kbyte.

edit: anyway I don't want to make a dumb derail on someone else's thread, come fight me on 20th century transfer rates elsewhere, main point is wired and wireless both have their place and it's fine to have and use both, and overdoing it is what I think we're all about here

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 29, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If the arguing continues I'll turn the internet off altogether

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’ll turn these packets right around

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the arguing continues I'll turn the internet off altogether

Might be for the best tbh

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
By mesh I mean it needs a dedicated Ethernet Backhaus but same SSIDs on them, other than the one closest to that aforementioned lovely doorbell.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m always making a mesh.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Baud is an equivalent unit to bits/sec and older modems were not in kilobytes/sec. Surely you don't think 56k dialup modems were just shy of half a megabit? First gen ADSL in 2001 was 512kbit/s. Not kbyte.

edit: anyway I don't want to make a dumb derail on someone else's thread, come fight me on 20th century transfer rates elsewhere, main point is wired and wireless both have their place and it's fine to have and use both, and overdoing it is what I think we're all about here

Oops, you were right on that count, I saw kbps (which I read as kilo bit per sec) then skipped right over where they wrote kilobyte instead of kilobit. My bad!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Starbucks posted:

By mesh I mean it needs a dedicated Ethernet Backhaus but same SSIDs on them, other than the one closest to that aforementioned lovely doorbell.
We saw that there's a mesh, it has like 72 cables coming through it. So what's your point, guy?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

How does running a thousand individual electrical wires through your walls impact the WiFi signal?

The answer for this house is clear: add giant 5GHz waveguide pipes connecting every room.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Baud is an equivalent unit to bits/sec
It's symbols/sec. For old modems with only one bit per symbol, they're the same, but more modern stuff will have more. Wired gigabit ethernet, for example, sends one of 5 different possible voltage levels instead of just high/low so the bit rate is bigger than the baud rate

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Starbucks posted:

It's very dumb to me that expensive smart doorbells have wired power but not PoE.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

~Coxy posted:

It's very dumb to me that expensive smart doorbells have wired power but not PoE.

I’d have thought a smart doorbell would be a perfect use case for PoE.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Possibly so people can't just rip your doorbell off and plug into your network?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Messadiah posted:

Extremely normal behavior that

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Messadiah posted:

Not thought of that, but still it is a pain. It is pretty easy for me to do because for some reason my developer when they put in the standard doorbell they used Cat 6 cabling and then had three wires for live and three neutral.

There is a POE adaptor for the new one.

As for access point stuff, no point, just in the year 2023 I have seen some poo poo network stuff put in

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
From now on when NJAN99 makes bad posts I'm going to have to consider the possibility that a hacker has compromised his account via his doorbell

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I do wonder if someone could shitpost as me via my car charger.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Failed Imagineer posted:

From now on when NJAN99 makes bad posts I'm going to have to consider the possibility that a hacker has compromised his account via his doorbell

I'm imagining a thief knocking off the doorbell, plugging in a laptop and hacking the front door smart lock.

Meanwhile, his colleague breaks a window.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm also fairly sure that hackers in China will be able to detect which password NJAN99 uses just by detecting the low frequency rumbles of his keyboard passed through the earth's core via the foundational piles.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sagacity posted:

I'm also fairly sure that hackers in China will be able to detect which password NJAN99 uses just by detecting the low frequency rumbles of his keyboard passed through the earth's core via the foundational piles.

ebayninja69

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Messadiah posted:

You don't have all your externally mounted devices on an isolated vlan? What are you even doing?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

devicenull posted:

You don't have all your externally mounted devices on an isolated vlan? What are you even doing?

I'm sorry I'm trying to figure out spanning trees

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Splode posted:

I'm imagining a thief knocking off the doorbell, plugging in a laptop and hacking the front door smart lock.

And opens the door for the nerd as he types away, of,course

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Messadiah posted:

I'm sorry I'm trying to figure out spanning trees

No he cut down all the spanning trees

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I’d call the council about that myself.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splode posted:

As a Russian, he used a rock.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hmmm. hadn't thought about baddies just ripping things off the wall and plugging into network. Oh dear, already run like about 10 power over ethernet and two data cables for the car chargers to the outside. I guess there'll be someway to separate those out onto some sort of ringfenced network somehow.

Got a pack of network tool thingies to make short work of wiring in all the network cables to the patch panels.

The thing that pushes the wire into the socket has a little pair of scissors on it that cuts the ends of neatly automatically.

except it doesnt.

thats 5 of 72. And this is tedious.

I thought I'd put loads of length on the cables but some are a bit worryingly short. I had to rerun one of the car charger ones as it was just far too short.

The bedroom wing of the house (and the utility room I guess) are going to have a range of different lights. Mostly each room will have a big light in the middle of the ceiling which will be I dunno what sorted out later. Hallways, bathrooms and utility will have some little gu10 downlighters in a few separate switching groups. Then the long hallway will have LED strips down either side of the ceiling run in an aluminium profile. I was going to do this in each bedroom too, so you'd get cool colour changing ambient lighting cascading down the walls. So like if theres an emergency i get it to flash blue or something. But the profile is stupid expensive so each room will only get it on one wall rather than all 4.

like this

Theyre 3 metres long and delivered to home so need to shift to site. Theyre too heavy for the smart car really so I have to act like a grown up.

The downlighters will have an airtight seal into the ceiling, so I'll run all my singles wiring to a number of small junction boxes accessible in the loft, switch in there to twin and earth and run to each one from there in series. LED profiles will get juntction boxes too, switch to whatever suitable cable and have a bank of LED drivers next to the junction box and then run to each location.

For the central big lights though I dunno exactly what they are yet so I'll install plastic boxes above the ceiling that the wiring conduit can properly terminate into. These will be sealed to the air tightness membrane in the ceiling of each room. The boxes are just like ice cream tubs with some punch out circles etched on them. But someone called them ecoboxes so they cost loads of money. They also want 16quid to ship them. from Carlisle. I'm drove to scotland last weekend for a funeral so I stopped at the warehouse and collected them for free. Only just made the funeral and no one had told me i was a pallbearer so it was a bit awkward but fine in the end.

So to finish off the wiring runs I'll share the neutral and earths again where sensible. a version of sensible. Then run a loom of lives to each location as required back to the plantroom consumer unit.

So that is all the wiring in I think. Just need to fit all the lids on.

Then get an electrician to come in and say nice job and sign it all off. Maybe I'll do the consumer unit myself? dunno

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

So the foundations and wiring are over-engineered, but you don't seem to have cut any major corners anywhere else to compensate.
I'm worried that this project may burn you out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More wiring than my local telecoms cabinet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

goatface posted:

More wiring than my local telecoms cabinet.

Literally I’ve seen big subdivision boxes left open accident tally and they don’t run that much wire

GOONSPEED SIR

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You need to either adjust the pressure on your punchdown tool (should have a little dial on it somewhere) or punch it down at a slight angle to make sure the cutting edge is hitting the wire correctly. You just might have to do it 2-3x per wire. The cheap punch down tools are just generally poo poo at this. Make sure you do have the cutting head on cuz usually they are two sided and one side isn't sharp.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m still annoyed that I lost my nice metal BT punch down tool. Real nice.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m still annoyed that I lost my nice metal BT punch down tool. Real nice.

I ran into a Hubbel patch panel the other day where each pair was a staggered punchdown and it didn't have room for my punch to actually terminate things properly, it was very upsetting.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

All of us checking in on the thread:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nova69 posted:

I'm worried that this project may burn you out.

This had better not be a Tesla/wiring joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I respect the commitment to the bit, if nothing else