Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cessna posted:

- You'd go on patrols, driving with convoys to make sure the roads between bases were clear and open. Hipe you don't hit a mine.

An old family friend (who I think I mentioned in thread before) was a PT boat crewman in WW2. His son was in tanks in Vietnam and got all kinds of hosed up when they ran over a
mine. I don’t know how common it was, how bad the casualty rates were etc but it certainly was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Iirc tank crew casualty rates were way higher than average in WW2. Wonder how they were in the post-WW2 conventional wars, though.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cessna posted:

You're never going to find a single tank blundering down a road.

A number of videos from Syria and Ukraine suggest otherwise

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Scratch Monkey posted:

A number of videos from Syria and Ukraine suggest otherwise

You're never going to find a competently run tank running down the road alone.

I know that sounds like some sort of "no true Scotsman" thing, but it's really basic, the sort of thing that is drummed into your head from day one of armor school. You NEVER work alone. I'm sure you can find exceptions - maybe the other tanks in the section were knocked out, maybe their crews and command are inept - but it's the sort of thing you avoid at all costs, and take drastic steps to fix. It's certainly not the sort of thing you do intentionally.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 30, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dance Officer posted:

Iirc tank crew casualty rates were way higher than average in WW2. Wonder how they were in the post-WW2 conventional wars, though.

Tank crew casualties are way lower than many other branches, e.g. infantry.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vietnam might have been skewed if the tanks were mostly periodically driving out between firebases or to particular outposts and back. I know a lot of tank 'losses' historically were because it threw a track or got winged by a big shot and the crew ditched out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You have limited options when your superior commander (likely infantry) considers tanks to be essentially invincible and wants one to "go over there *waves hand vaguely*" to "check things out".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

You have limited options when your superior commander (likely infantry) considers tanks to be essentially invincible and wants one to "go over there *waves hand vaguely*" to "check things out".

I always thought of that kind of mindset as being "videogame brain", where tanks are often the supreme ground-based combat unit, basically the end of a line that starts with a guy with a club. Same job as any other ground unit, better stats. It's kind of grimly funny to hear that even people who really ought to know better still fall into that mindset.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Greggster posted:

What was life like for tank crews in Vietnam?
Like infantry I get have to go on patrol all the time, never knowing if they would find anything and generally just having a bad time in the jungle but it got me thinking, running around in a stinking and obnoxiously hot metal box must've been pretty good in terms of protection but not so much in all other aspects?
Was it mostly just sitting around and endless maintenance or did they suffer the endless ambushes (and constant paranoia) of the bushes all holding VC, ready with an RPG?

For North Vietnamese tankers, possibly a mix of boring and horrifying. I watched a long, German documentary about the Vietnam War years ago, and they commented that the Vietcong was forced to keep most of their tanks in reserve for most of the war, since the US would have loved them coming out into the open.

There was a quiet phase after the US retreated, where the VC-commanders couldn't believe the US would actually be this stupid, but when the bomber fleets didn't come back, North Vietnam finally unleashed their tanks and crushed South Vietnam in short order. But before that? Lots of hiding, I assume. (Sadly I can't remember if the documentary mentioned if the US was aware of how many tanks North Vietnam had, or how often the US managed to catch some in the open.)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cessna posted:

You're never going to find a competently run tank running down the road alone.

I know that sounds like some sort of "no true Scotsman" thing, but it's really basic, the sort of thing that is drummed into your head from day one of armor school. You NEVER work alone. I'm sure you can find exceptions - maybe the other tanks in the section were knocked out, maybe their crews and command are inept - but it's the sort of thing you avoid at all costs, and take drastic steps to fix. It's certainly not the sort of thing you do intentionally.

I remember The Chieftain railing about the whole "it took 5 Shermans to defeat 1 Tiger" thing by saying, no poo poo, there's 5 Shermans in a platoon, 5 is gonna be the minimum number of Shermans for basically any task.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MikeCrotch posted:

I remember The Chieftain railing about the whole "it took 5 Shermans to defeat 1 Tiger" thing by saying, no poo poo, there's 5 Shermans in a platoon, 5 is gonna be the minimum number of Shermans for basically any task.

Yep.

US Tanks sort of work in two sections of two, four to a platoon. (This is how you can do things like bounding overwatch with a single platoon.) That platoon of four sticks together, but moves in pairs when things are tactical.

* Pre- 1992 / the adoption of M-1s the USMC used a platoon of five - a "Heavy" section of three under the platoon commander of three and a "Light" section of two under the platoon sergeant. I don't know when the Army switched from 5 to 4 per platoon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The NVA use of armor began in 1970 or so, but the first major offensive that featured it heavily was the Easter offensive in 1972, and the NVA armor took horrendous losses- it was uncoordinated, the US and ARVN had been tipped off about the threat when tanks proved to be dangerous in the Lam Son 719 operation in 1971 so they were much more ready for them. The NVA spent the next couple of years working on training on how to use tanks in combined arms and they did a lot better in 1975, but it was still hardly perfect.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Greggster posted:

What was life like for tank crews in Vietnam?
Like infantry I get have to go on patrol all the time, never knowing if they would find anything and generally just having a bad time in the jungle but it got me thinking, running around in a stinking and obnoxiously hot metal box must've been pretty good in terms of protection but not so much in all other aspects?
Was it mostly just sitting around and endless maintenance or did they suffer the endless ambushes (and constant paranoia) of the bushes all holding VC, ready with an RPG?

The infantry would often not actually patrol all the time at all. Cessna already answered the tank question but the intensity of the activity of the soldier was often much lower than you’d first imagine.

Lot of it was guard duty at base and various oddball assignments like sorting mail or helping to fix vehicles. The GI might walk on patrol a few times a week, and for one 12 or 24 hour period sit on Quick Reaction Force Duty awaiting someone else to get in trouble. The firebases would see also weekend or week long tours where once it is over you just fly or walk back to a larger airbase and those would be basically impregnable fortresses or deep in the South without much of any threat or action.

It’s similar to how the turbo war WW2 Eastern Front might see a mega hard offensive for a few weeks, and then there’d be a month long period of guard duty and camping out with zero action.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Are there any good books about Vietcong or North Vietnamese side of things? Books that go to grassroots level, like how normal infantry soldiers did things and exploration of their experiences?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's this group: https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-33408096

Only skimmed it, so I'm not sure if you can find their full findings online..

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Glah posted:

Are there any good books about Vietcong or North Vietnamese side of things? Books that go to grassroots level, like how normal infantry soldiers did things and exploration of their experiences?

A Vietcong memoir by Truong Nhu Tang. A bit of an elite view from the upper ranks but it’s a classic and has a pretty honest take on what was good about the movement and what was hosed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

A Vietcong memoir by Truong Nhu Tang. A bit of an elite view from the upper ranks but it’s a classic and has a pretty honest take on what was good about the movement and what was hosed.

Would it be asking a bit much to ask for a quick précis on what was good and what was hosed?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tomn posted:

Would it be asking a bit much to ask for a quick précis on what was good and what was hosed?

Super tldr is that the colonial system was bullshit and it was an honest attempt to kick foreigners out and do something better.

poo poo got kinda hosed towards the end as the government became ever more autocratic and a lot of dumb rivalries and grudges started playing out. Just the standard crap you see where some members of the revolution start feathering their own nest and using eg the secret police to gently caress with people they don’t like.

At the end of the day it wasn’t exactly a democratic system and that gave a lot of opportunities for bad actors to screw things up. Not that democracy by itself prevents that, but it’s still easier when you can carve out your own fiefdom and don’t need to worry about elections.

Dude started as a fighter early on (anti-French stuff) rose to be the VC Minister of Justice, ended up a refugee on a boat. Highest level VC official to defect to the west, foreign educated. A very interesting perspective from a man who was all in on the anti-colonialist struggle and then grew very disillusioned after the peace.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just found some old Nazi general fanboy postcard. Normal picture postcards, but with a signed photo of a Wehrmacht general as the picture.
The series line is "Der Führer und seine Generale des Heeres".
Some of them were used, by my grandfather writing home while he was occupying Belgium in 41.

It just sounds crazy, did any other militaries do that, ever?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had a set of Desert Storm baseball cards. Deeply embarrassing now, but I was 10.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

FuturePastNow posted:

I had a set of Desert Storm baseball cards. Deeply embarrassing now, but I was 10.

I have a gw2 card deck

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VictualSquid posted:

I just found some old Nazi general fanboy postcard. Normal picture postcards, but with a signed photo of a Wehrmacht general as the picture.
The series line is "Der Führer und seine Generale des Heeres".
Some of them were used, by my grandfather writing home while he was occupying Belgium in 41.

It just sounds crazy, did any other militaries do that, ever?

What, haven't you heard of the Nazi card before? Those are invaluable in Internet debates!

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

What, haven't you heard of the Nazi card before? Those are invaluable in Internet debates!

that's not what they mean by n-word pass

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The nazi flag looks so evil. Is that entirely a product of how we’ve come to perceive what it represents, or was it originally designed to… inspire terror? Would a German in 1937 see the harsh red/white/black and think of it as something visually pleasant?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Koramei posted:

The nazi flag looks so evil. Is that entirely a product of how we’ve come to perceive what it represents, or was it originally designed to… inspire terror? Would a German in 1937 see the harsh red/white/black and think of it as something visually pleasant?

Red White and Black are are the colors of the Imperial German flag, and wouldn't have had any specifically bad associations at the time. Meanwhile, the swastika was an ancient (and fairly universal) symbol (usually meaning protection) before the Nazis got their hands on it. The negative reaction you're feeling is almost certainly just a case of "what it represents", few symbols generate that kind of loathing sans meaning.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

from the waffle images thread:

that was printed in 1900

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Red White and Black are are the colors of the Imperial German flag, and wouldn't have had any specifically bad associations at the time. Meanwhile, the swastika was an ancient (and fairly universal) symbol (usually meaning protection) before the Nazis got their hands on it. The negative reaction you're feeling is almost certainly just a case of "what it represents", few symbols generate that kind of loathing sans meaning.

I dunno, we don't get the same feeling with the imperial Japanese flag.

I think to an extent the Nazi flag was intended to be somewhat intimidating. Even now you can clearly see when graphic designers are trying to evoke the Nazi flag for sci-fi bad guys - there's a clear and distinctive aesthetic to it.

And you know, it was literally designed by Hitler himself to represent anti semitism. Graphic design ist mein passion!

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 3, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I can assure you that the population of China and many of the other Asian countries that faced brutal occupation and mistreatment have the same reaction to the Imperial Japanese flag as most Europeans and North Americans do to the Nazi flag.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ChubbyChecker posted:

from the waffle images thread:

that was printed in 1900

I almost started believing in these prophecies, but then they claimed that everyone will walk 10 miles. Hopefully you didn't leave your day job, Nostradamus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SerthVarnee posted:

I can assure you that the population of China and many of the other Asian countries that faced brutal occupation and mistreatment have the same reaction to the Imperial Japanese flag as most Europeans and North Americans do to the Nazi flag.

This. I've heard several stories from people from Asian countries having visceral reactions when seeing rising sun flags in real life or in children's cartoons. One Chinese woman I'm acquainted with said that the first time she saw a big Imperial flag in real life, being flown at a WW2 memorial in Japan, she felt like she'd just seen the boogeyman walk across the stage and wave to her.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah the Imperial Japanese flag is very much a agh gently caress no thing in places where the IJA/IJN dropped by. It's always weird to me how nobody said anything to the main in Big Trouble In Little China (It's a weird film of it's time I know, but still) but I am curious if a Japanese Navy ship has to stop by in the modern ports of those nations do they replace it with a more neutral flag?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

I dunno, we don't get the same feeling with the imperial Japanese flag.

I think to an extent the Nazi flag was intended to be somewhat intimidating. Even now you can clearly see when graphic designers are trying to evoke the Nazi flag for sci-fi bad guys - there's a clear and distinctive aesthetic to it.

And you know, it was literally designed by Hitler himself to represent anti semitism. Graphic design ist mein passion!

They use the Nazi flag, wear Hugo Boss, and deploy stormtroopers because nazi are the stock western bad guys. Shops in Asia selling big ol swastika shirts don’t seem to evoke primal fear.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/12/27/asia/taiwan-nazi-school-asia/index.html

Alternatively, consider that red, white, blue, stars, and Saint Andrew’s Cross are all over the place, and yet

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, this got me doing some cursory wtf googling because I was genuinely unaware that they still used the old naval ensign and I found this loving :laffo: website dedicated to:''

quote:

このサイトは旭日旗を正しく理解して貰う為に用意しました。
This site was made to understand correctly of The Rising Sun Flag.

韓国の悪質なプロパガンダ(ネガティブキャンペーン)に騙されないで下さい。
Please don't be tricked by Korea's vicious propaganda(Negative Campaigning).

Leaving the naked URL because it's funny too: http://risingsunflag.com/

Like, dudes, this isn't the own you think it is. I mean, yeah, the Iron Cross is an Imperial (and previous) thing and I can even nerd out with you all about how the Nazis even changed the cross with the Balkenkreuz (although it's a WW1 innovation, but one that got picked up by the Nazis in '35 specifically because of it's "front fighter" connotations which was big with them), but the reality is that when people watch old news reel movies of horrible atrocities and mass murder, it's not happening under the symbol that the Luftwaffe uses on their fighters today. Unlike the rising sun which, you know, there are living people who watched their families be murdered while it flapped away in the background.

And as a side note, it's worth pointing out that there absolutely WERE atrocities and even straight up genocides committed under Imperial Germany (the Herero say hello), and there are corners of the world where I imagine Imperial German iconography is still a sore point.

Anyways, I know this is low hanging fruit but just wanted to share the presumably Japanese ultranationalist website I found with my morning coffee.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They use the Nazi flag, wear Hugo Boss, and deploy stormtroopers because nazi are the stock western bad guys. Shops in Asia selling big ol swastika shirts don’t seem to evoke primal fear.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/12/27/asia/taiwan-nazi-school-asia/index.html

Alternatively, consider that red, white, blue, stars, and Saint Andrew’s Cross are all over the place, and yet

Yes, cultural context matters and for various reasons people in Asia don't react as viscerally as Europeans and Americans to swastikas.

But the point being discussed is that people in Asia DO react rather viscerally to Imperial Japanese iconography for much the same reason. Which, it should be noted, your average European or American doesn't. If I flew a Japanese naval ensign on my front lawn here in the US people would think I'm a weirdo (barring the S. Asian / Asian first gen immigrants in the area, they'd probably think I was a fuckhead). If I flew a swastika people would start from the basic assumption that I'm a world class shithead.

It's a symbol that got pretty well dragged through the mud as far as their neighbors are concerned, and keeping it in circulation would be like the Germans keeping a lot of the symbols that were prominent 1933-1945.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Missed this a while back:

Gnoman posted:

You're correct that red/white/black was the colors of the Imperial German flag, but it had specifically right-wing connotations in the 30s. I have an effort post on this elsewhere that I'll try to dig up, but the tl;dr is that going back to at lest the middle of the 19th century red/white/black was the colors of the monarchist/conservative right and red/gold/black was the colors of (very loosely) the liberal, democratic left. When the Weimar Republic was founded they very consciously adopted the flag of the 1848 revolutionaries as opposed to the Prussian-derived flag, and Hitler equally self-consciously switched back. It's not just the colors - he changed the German national flag to a red/black/white tricolor in 1933, there's a pic somewhere of it hanging at a SF Consulate party next to the Nazi flag.

This is also why both the East and West German successor states went with variations on the black/gold/red.

This is ALSO why modern day right wing shitheads in Germany lean on Imperial imagery. I mean, you've got Hitler in the mix obviously, but the point is that the hitler poo poo was a contribution to the ongoing history of what these colors represent in German politics rather than their origin.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here, found it, the style is a bit more shitposty than what I usually do here because that's the tone of the other thread:

It was kicked off by a discussion of neo-nazis and other right wing dipshits leaning into Imperial German imagery.

Cyrano4747 posted:

They also lean into the old Imperial-era red/white/black too, and looking for examples for that turned up this picture too amazing not to share:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Since I'm in the flag groove and it's kind of applicable to here what with German history and how the flags are used, here's a bit of history on the German flags and how they represent the dueling political ideals you find in Germany in the 19th and 20th century.

So in the beginning there was the Holy Roman Empire. I'm not going to say too much about that because we'd be here all night, but suffice it to say it was a medieval organization that broadly encompassed most(ish) of the German speaking lands in Central Europe, plus a bunch of Polish, Czech, a bit of French, Italian, etc.

Napoleon happens, and as a result the HRE goes up in flames. Post-Napoleon you have the Congress of Vienna which re-organized Europe in the wake of his defeat, and as part of that the German Confederation was set up. This was an extremely loose federation where it did have laws that superseded national laws, but didn't have much power to make them. Think of the EU, only with even less power. But, it WAS a supra-national organization.

This was its flag, which may look familiar to you:

So at the same time as you have that going on you have the Austro-Hungarian empire of which the Austrian part is the senior member in this German Confederation. Imagine if California was in the EU, and had some veto power. Meanwhile you also have Prussia, which is ALSO only partially in the German Confederation. Brandenburg and western Prussia were considered German, while the eastern chunks of Prussia were considered Polish (and indeed are part of Poland today). So now imagine Russia is also in the EU, but only the parts west of the Urals. Or I dunno, Texas, if we want to extend the American metaphor.

Prussia and Austria were constantly jockying for power and influence over the other states in the German confederation. We're going to ignore the Austrians because they lose (more on that later) but the Prussians had a bunch of flags. Prussian flags get confusing because of what's the "kingdom" (as in property of the King of Prussia) vs what's the "state." I'll be honest, I'm not even fully dialed in on this, and I spend too much time thinking about old German poo poo. Basically as Prussia moves from being a duchy to a kingdom they have a version with an eagle that gets progressively fancier (adding crowns and swords and other poo poo like that) but they also have this flag, which you'll see referenced as the "Prussian civil flag."

Simple two stripe horizontal, black over white.

So in the 1840s a bunch of loving poo poo goes down. 1848 in particular is a year of revolutionary fervor across Europe. If you get into studying revolutions 1848 looms pretty large, and you'll hear it referenced as the "Springtime of Nations" or "Springtime of Peoples." Real "do you hear the people sing?" kind of poo poo (although Hugo was writing about the earlier Parisian uprising in 1832. And yes the French got out in 1848, do you think they're going to sit on the sidelines when people are revolting?).

These revolutions were especially impactful in Germany. German historians refer to the period before 1848 as the Vormärz, literally "before March." March is when these revolt kicked off. March, "Springtime of Peoples," I'm sure you can see the theme.

So in Germany a bunch of these rebels actually had some pretty notable success, especially in SW Germany. This spurred a bunch of German liberals to hold what amounted to a constitutional convention in Frankfurt and try to whip up a German state founded on liberal, democratic ideals. Keep in mind that this is 1848, so none of this is going to pass muster as far as liberal idealism in 2022 goes, but it's all very much in line with other pro-democracy movements elsewhere in the world at this time. The "Basic Rights of the German People" that they published are of a kind with the US Bill of Rights or the French Declaration of the Rights of Man. So these revolutionaries make a constitution and declare a new German Empire. In reality it was a smattering of small states along the Rhine, but they claimed the whole territory of the German Confederation. And this is the flag they adopted:

Same as the Confederation. I'm going to not get too into the weeds on the history here, but tl;dr events overtake them and the Prussians and Austrians both curb stomp their revolutionaries and start sending armies out into the rest of German territory to do the same. Turns out absolute monarchs aren't fans of things like "universal rights and liberties" who knew? The Frankfurt convention tries a clever ploy to unify Germany under their more liberal regime: they offer the crown to Frederick Wilhelm IV, King of Prussia. This would be his chance to step up and become Frederick Wilhelm I, Emperor of Germany.

And he declines. He famously said he refused to stoop to "pick up a crown from the gutter," by which he meant become the king of a country with the liberal constitution that the new Germany would have had. Something else to keep in mind is that this Frankfurt Assembly German Empire nee Confederation was also claiming Austria as part of it, so accepting that would have meant almost certain war with the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

So the Frankfrut Assembly fails, the "German Empire" never gets off the ground, and we move forward. Prussia continues expanding its influence over the northern German states and starts picking wars with its neighbors. First they throw down with the Danish menace, asserting that Schleswig and Holstein are part of Prussian territory. They win that one, pretty handily. In 1866 Bismark manages to maneuver the Austrians into a corner and gets the new Italian state to join in on kicking their asses. Basically the Austrians objected to the Danish war, and Bismark baits them into biting off more than they could chew. The Italians wanted the bits of what are now N. Italy that the A-H Empire held, while the Prussians wanted a clear delineation of spheres of influence between them and the Austrians. Prussia and the Italians win. As part of the peace settlement the Prussians create the North German Confederation.

Now, importantly, and in marked contrast to the older German Confederation, this is a confederation with teeth, almost to the point of being an actual federal system. Even more importantly it is utterly dominated by the Prussian state. There's a lot of poo poo to get into like customs unions etc. but for all intents and purposes we can pretty much call this Prussia 2.0.

And here's it's flag:

I don't know the heraldic meaning of any of this poo poo, but the message is clear: It's just the old Prussian civil flag with a red stripe stapled on. Like I said, Prussia 2.0.

Jump forward a few more years and the North German Confederation fights a war with France, wins, and importantly pulled the South German states (which were previously recognized as being in the Austrian sphere of influence) in as allies. That's the springboard for a bunch of treaties that officially bring those allies into the Confederation, which is promptly renamed the German Empire and King Wilhelm I of Prussia (son of Frederick Wilhelm IV up there) does what dad couldn't and becomes Emperor Wilhelm I of the German Empire. Needless to say, Prussia still dominated things politically. The flag stays the same:

So, history happens. Blah blah blah, 20th century, blah blah blah, WW1, blah blah Versailles. The German Empire gets knocked down and is re-founded. Officially it's the "Deutsches Reich" (as opposed to the "Deutsches Kaiserreich" of the Imperial era) but we all know it as the Weimar Republic. I'm also going to tip my hand a little bit right now by pointing out that "Weimar Republic" was a term coined by Hitler to disparage the inter-war government. Its kind of like if bullshit MAGA speech became part of our common lexicon, and the fact that it's widely referred to this day by that name is kind of tragic in its own way.

Anyways, new government, new constitution, and along decidedly more democratic lines than the Prussian model. Note that I'm vastly over-simplifying here, you actually do se some liberalizing tendencies in the Kaiserreich, especially in the 1880s/90s, but these are still two governmental systems that stand in stark opposition to each other. One much more conservative, one much more liberal.

The founders of the Weimar Republic sought inspiration not from the Kaiserreich, but the old German Confederation an the short-lived German Empire of the Frankfurt Assembly. The new constitution that they brought in compares pretty well to other democratic constitutions of the same era - the US, France, etc. Universal suffrage, equal rights before the law, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, all that jazz. As such it also echoed the revolutionary constitution of the Frankfurt Assembly, in much the same was as the modern French constitution draws heavily on the Declaration of the Rights of Man.

So, in keeping with this new ideological direction and expressly desiring the callback to the ideals and ethos of 1848, the new Deutsches Rich adopted the flag of 1848:

Move forward some more, and Hitler takes over. Pretty much the first loving thing he did was to get rid of the hated flag of the state he denegrated as the "Weimar Republic." So, straight to swastikas right?

Nope. That was originally the Nazi Party flag and his position wasn't nearly secure enough to fly his party's flag as the national flag. It would be in a few years, but not yet. So, we need a flag that all German conservatives will recognize as their own and understand as a signal of what this new government will be about, expressly in opposition to the liberal frivolities of the Weimar years.

So what does he do? Re-introduces the Imperial tricolor.

That's right, the very first flag of a Nazi-ruled Germany* wasn't the swastika flag you all think of, it was the Prussian black/white/red.

Fast forward again, Hitler's dead, and new German states are emerging from the ashes. It's notable that while the East Germans did their own thing with a national seal, both east and the west were very self-consciously drawing on that democratic tradition. You can see it in the names: German Federal Republic (West) and German Democratic Republic (East). And, as they were all Germans drawing on the same history they did grabbed the same flag, resurrecting the black/red/gold of both the Weimar years and the 1848 revolutionaries.

*as a side note, the Nazis never officially junked the Deutsches Reich. They passed new laws to curtail the freedoms that the 1919 constitution granted, but it wasn't a blank slate new nation like the 1918-1919 transition. So calling Germany "Nazi Germany" from 33-45 is a bit of a misnomer, and I prefer "Nazi-ruled Germany" because gently caress giving those assholes credit for even making their own country. They didn't, they were just political hermit crabs inhabiting the husk of a better government that better people had built.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So why the flag based history lesson?

Because it's an OG example of how flags come to represent more than just the nation or the regime that flies them, but become a short hand for a very specific set of beliefs. For a German, flying the Imperial tricolor vs. the Republican tricolor is making a clear statement re: conservative vs. liberal politics, and one with history that goes all the way back to Prussia and the 1848 revolutionaries. Doubly so if they're waving a version with the Prussian eagle on it, which is a branch of flag history I didn't dive down.

So the next time you see someone waving the Imperial black/white/red around remember that that's also the first flag Adolf Hitler hoisted when he took over power.

And just to drive that home, and bring this around to dipshits on other continents latching on to this crap, here's one final picture:

That's a rally of the German-American Bund at the San Francisco City Hall in 1935. The Bund were the US Branch of the Nazi Party and got pretty deep roots in the German-American communities in a lot of major cities in the 30s. So actual American Nazi fucks, and they LOVED to wrap themselves in both American patriotism and Nazi Party bullshit.

Look at the flags. American flag on the left, Nazi Party flag on the right, and in the middle the black/white/red tricolor that Hitler brought back when he came into power. I'm pretty sure the German Consulate in SF hosted this rally, hence throwing the German national flag up there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Really appreciate the posts, those are super informative!

Beyond just the political statement of it though, I’m really curious about the feelings it might have meant to inspire. You famously get in fascist art for instance the “patriotic family” stuff showing ultra traditionalist families in a way that looks pretty repulsive to us now but was to my understanding meant to inspire warm fuzzy feelings in their nazi target audience at the time.
Was the flag, before our modern cultural baggage, meant to be similar?
Did they imagine a world in 1950 or whatever where a rosy cheeked German child would walk through the streets of a post-war Berlin and feel their heart flutter with national pride looking at all the hideous swastika adorned bunting with a smile and a tear in their eye in the same way we might for the Stars and Stripes in the USA? Or was it always supposed to be kind of intimidating? I guess as a provocative statement from the get go there’s gonna be that to it to an extent no matter what, but I wonder if they were thinking there’d be more besides. Did they envisage a post-war world where there’d always be a layer of intimidation?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Koramei posted:

Really appreciate the posts, those are super informative!

Beyond just the political statement of it though, I’m really curious about the feelings it might have meant to inspire. You famously get in fascist art for instance the “patriotic family” stuff showing ultra traditionalist families in a way that looks pretty repulsive to us now but was to my understanding meant to inspire warm fuzzy feelings in their nazi target audience at the time.
Was the flag, before our modern cultural baggage, meant to be similar?
Did they imagine a world in 1950 or whatever where a rosy cheeked German child would walk through the streets of a post-war Berlin and feel their heart flutter with national pride looking at all the hideous swastika adorned bunting with a smile and a tear in their eye in the same way we might for the Stars and Stripes in the USA? Or was it always supposed to be kind of intimidating? I guess as a provocative statement from the get go there’s gonna be that to it to an extent no matter what, but I wonder if they were thinking there’d be more besides. Did they envisage a post-war world where there’d always be a layer of intimidation?

To the best of my knowledge, not really. For that matter those feelings were never intended to be conveyed by the American flag, and the US flag often inspires a pretty different set of feelings in, say, native communities.

There's certainly a degree of intent in designing symbols, but usually it boils down to the heraldry and what they say the colors represent. But at the end of the day context gives symbols meaning and emotional weight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I concur with Cyrano that all of the feelings you're associating with these flags are learned responses. As an anecdote, when I was working on my videogame (which is about sailing around the world and fighting tyranny), at one point I needed to add flags to the ships, along with the ability to customize them. My first implementation used real-world flags, because those were easily available and made sense...but looking at the US national flag flying from one of my ships was deeply uncomfortable to me. I've learned a lot about American politics and how the American flag has historically been used as a symbol for all kinds of unpleasant things. I didn't want to be pulling those associations into a game that I wanted to resonate with people from any background. So I set about making alternate flags, with the goal being that they should clearly represent real-world countries, without actually being those countries' flags. ...and the one I made for Japan was an altered version of the Rising Sun flag. Because it was a Japan-associated flag that I knew about, and while I was broadly aware that atrocities had taken place in China during the Imperial Japan era, I hadn't connected the dots that that made the Rising Sun a problematic symbol.

Fortunately, I found people who know a lot more about vexillography than I do. I ended up paying them to make much better flags than I could have made on my own. For the sake of example, here's a few:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The angular, high contrast properties of the flag (and its origins as a political party flag) just seems quite distinct from other flags. I suppose maybe that sort of thing was more normal at the time.

Wiki alerts me to the existence of

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Swastikas

And more lolworthy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Savings_Movement

I guess the use of the swastika in commercial art at the time does persuade me that it wasn't so big of a deal.