Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I concur with Cyrano that all of the feelings you're associating with these flags are learned responses. As an anecdote, when I was working on my videogame (which is about sailing around the world and fighting tyranny), at one point I needed to add flags to the ships, along with the ability to customize them. My first implementation used real-world flags, because those were easily available and made sense...but looking at the US national flag flying from one of my ships was deeply uncomfortable to me. I've learned a lot about American politics and how the American flag has historically been used as a symbol for all kinds of unpleasant things. I didn't want to be pulling those associations into a game that I wanted to resonate with people from any background. So I set about making alternate flags, with the goal being that they should clearly represent real-world countries, without actually being those countries' flags. ...and the one I made for Japan was an altered version of the Rising Sun flag. Because it was a Japan-associated flag that I knew about, and while I was broadly aware that atrocities had taken place in China during the Imperial Japan era, I hadn't connected the dots that that made the Rising Sun a problematic symbol.

Fortunately, I found people who know a lot more about vexillography than I do. I ended up paying them to make much better flags than I could have made on my own. For the sake of example, here's a few:

Just by the by, these flags kick rear end.

Really good work to all involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ChubbyChecker posted:

from the waffle images thread:

that was printed in 1900

drat, more hits than misses in there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ngl I walked more than ten miles before noon today, most of it with between 15 and 40 pounds on me, and I do consider being unable to walk ten miles unladen while below 50 years to be a weakling thing

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 3, 2023

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Fangz posted:

Even now you can clearly see when graphic designers are trying to evoke the Nazi flag for sci-fi bad guys - there's a clear and distinctive aesthetic to it.

:hmmyes:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Edit: Never mind.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

…because gently caress giving those assholes credit for even making their own country. They didn't, they were just political hermit crabs inhabiting the husk of a better government that better people had built.

I am stealing the gently caress out of this. It’s so godamned good.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ChubbyChecker posted:

from the waffle images thread:

that was printed in 1900

There's a lot of 'huh, on the money' and then 'far off the mark' in like two sentences here. Also 'a university education will be free to every man and women' :negative:.

'Every river will dammed' yeah, that's not exactly true in 2023 but it's pretty close to the reality of the situation. Virtually every river of consequence for water or power is dammed in the US at some point, thankfully Washington, Oregon, and California are coming to their senses on how horrible this is ecologically and for fisheries. I've read that climbing a fish ladder for a fish is like climbing a twenty story downstairs running escalator, though I have no idea if this was just hyperbole or the close to the mark. As for walking ten miles, well, in countries wherein they didn't adopt absolutely dogshit city building practices (read: surbubia), most people walk an appreciable percentage of this on their daily commute.

I do love the image of a world wherein nobody ever realizes the power of shaped charges, or more specifically, shaped charges+rockets+computers, and instead man does battle with Warhammer 40k Maus sized tanks.:black101:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
He was largely right when he made predictions along the lines of "transportation and communication technologies will be better," although this arguably an easy application of Asimov's First Law of Futurics ("What is happening will continue to happen"). Some of his other correct predictions were arguably cheating a little; his prediction of x-rays sounds impressive until you realize that he was writing 5 years after Röntgen discovered them. On the other hand, you get the bizarre obsession with fruit and vegetable size, and the mass animal extinctions that Watkins seems to have thought were a good thing.

And lol at "the trip from suburban home to office will require a few minutes only." Well, maybe in some areas with very good subway systems.

Also, we still haven't made true blue roses, even with genetic engineering.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 4, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Since we’ve seen WW1 day by day on Twitter here’s ID4 https://fxtwitter.com/1996ID4/status/1676244485871906817?s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

A Festivus Miracle posted:

'Every river will dammed' yeah, that's not exactly true in 2023 but it's pretty close to the reality of the situation. Virtually every river of consequence for water or power is dammed in the US at some point, thankfully Washington, Oregon, and California are coming to their senses on how horrible this is ecologically and for fisheries.

I can't really condemn some guy 100 years ago feeling this way, though, given how destructive river floods can be. On the very upper scale the 1887 Yellow River flood killed at minimum close to a million people, but more commonly lots of people lost their homes or at least some property all the time all over world. Additionally you get power generation and irrigation canals. Those strawberries as big as apples need water and electricity!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

And drinking water

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have absolutely seen strawberries as big as (small) apples. And on that note, it wouldn't remotely surprise me if modern apples are 50-100% bigger, on average, than apples from 1900.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Giant strawberries are definitely the size of a typical year 1900 apple, although they don't taste very good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Since we’ve seen WW1 day by day on Twitter here’s ID4 https://fxtwitter.com/1996ID4/status/1676244485871906817?s=19

Might want to screen grab whatever that is since you know, can't see, musk etc.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Chamale posted:

Giant strawberries are definitely the size of a typical year 1900 apple, although they don't taste very good.

yeah, all those overly large fruits and berries just taste more watery

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, all those overly large fruits and berries just taste more watery
There's doubtless a factor there but this predates the decades of breeding for market shipping characteristics, don't it?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

And lol at "the trip from suburban home to office will require a few minutes only." Well, maybe in some areas with very good subway systems.

My commute to my (home) office, as with a lot of people's since early 2020 for some reason, takes about 30 seconds :shobon:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ngl I do kinda think of people who can't walk ten miles as weaklings

especially given I live in the land of people needing their lifted F150 to go from the house to the mailbox and back

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ngl I do kinda think of people who can't walk ten miles as weaklings

especially given I live in the land of people needing their lifted F150 to go from the house to the mailbox and back

Look out, we got a badass here :rolleyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Look out, we got a badass here :rolleyes:

nah, not at all, but like dude across multiple threads including this one already you've made it really clear you don't like me, so can you just send a mean pm or something instead of constantly reiterating

if we're posting foes now just gonna point out only one of us is on the most ignored users of all time list, and it ain't me

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

The NVA use of armor began in 1970 or so, but the first major offensive that featured it heavily was the Easter offensive in 1972, and the NVA armor took horrendous losses- it was uncoordinated, the US and ARVN had been tipped off about the threat when tanks proved to be dangerous in the Lam Son 719 operation in 1971 so they were much more ready for them. The NVA spent the next couple of years working on training on how to use tanks in combined arms and they did a lot better in 1975, but it was still hardly perfect.

Sorry, I was out this weekend.

The NVA's first use of armor in combat was in February 1968; they sent a few (13) PT-76 tanks to attack a Special Forces camp near Khe Sanh. There were a few more engagements in 1968 - 1969 (Ben Hai, Ben Het).

Cyrano4747 posted:

But the point being discussed is that people in Asia DO react rather viscerally to Imperial Japanese iconography for much the same reason. Which, it should be noted, your average European or American doesn't.

My father in law grew up in China in the 1940s and somehow survived.

One time while visiting our house he got upset that my son had a book of airplanes with a Japanese Zero fighter in it. He wasn't mad at my son or anything like that, it was more "who wants to see this crap?"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Cessna posted:

Sorry, I was out this weekend.

The NVA's first use of armor in combat was in February 1968; they sent a few (13) PT-76 tanks to attack a Special Forces camp near Khe Sanh. There were a few more engagements in 1968 - 1969 (Ben Hai, Ben Het).

as shown in "fall of lang vei" map in battlefield vietnam

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How common is straffing runs on infantry between WW2 and Vietnam. I'd assume that a plane would have a hard time acquiring targets that aren't either in vehicles or in prepared positions without advanced sights, so I'd assume a gun run on dudes walking around on patrol or advancing to a position on foot would be fairly rare.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

How common is straffing runs on infantry between WW2 and Vietnam. I'd assume that a plane would have a hard time acquiring targets that aren't either in vehicles or in prepared positions without advanced sights, so I'd assume a gun run on dudes walking around on patrol or advancing to a position on foot would be fairly rare.

If there was an ideal chance I think they would go for it but for the most part they have better targets to go after.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hunt11 posted:

If there was an ideal chance I think they would go for it but for the most part they have better targets to go after.

And if you're attacking infantry there are things that are a lot better than strafing with guns. Like, say, bombs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

IMO you can't really focus fire at multiple foot soldiers at once unless they're really packed up which they shouldn't be, so you'd be more or less aiming at one individual soldier which is not worth it even accounting for spread leading to bullets raking a much larger area. There also isn't that much ammo in most fighters to waste for that. OTOH if you have a mission to interdict enemy movements and you have dropped your bombs and there's no threat from the air, you might as well empty your belts, it should demoralize the grunts well even if it does nothing.

But there are better targets for strafing, and chances are you will also catch or at least scare a bunch of infantry guys by strafing those. Namely any targets in the rear, be it trucks, gun emplacements, depots...

Lastly what are we talking about by "between WW2 and Vietnam"? Korean war and some colonial stuff? Or doctrinally?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are there any confirmed instances of a plane doing a strafing run and getting downed by small arms fire?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Are there any confirmed instances of a plane doing a strafing run and getting downed by small arms fire?

Tons. They found some poor SOB's body from one in bum-gently caress nowhere guadalcanal or one of the outlying islands a few years ago, to name one that's leaping to mind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also infantry as a target of opportunity for aircraft is really, really well established. Just shitloads of anecdotal evidence from both pilots doing the strafing and infantry getting shot at. One I mentioned ITT the last time this came up was an American POW getting moved late-war before his camp got overrun and some CAS aircraft thought the prisoner column was an infantry column.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Lastly what are we talking about by "between WW2 and Vietnam"? Korean war and some colonial stuff? Or doctrinally?

More of talking about a technology period where your optics on planes are limited so picking out soldiers from foliage as a target of opportunity would be a challenge. I assume we don't really see FLIR optics on planes until the mid 70's/early 80s?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

nah, not at all, but like dude across multiple threads including this one already you've made it really clear you don't like me, so can you just send a mean pm or something instead of constantly reiterating

if we're posting foes now just gonna point out only one of us is on the most ignored users of all time list, and it ain't me

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

More of talking about a technology period where your optics on planes are limited so picking out soldiers from foliage as a target of opportunity would be a challenge. I assume we don't really see FLIR optics on planes until the mid 70's/early 80s?

Hmm... I suppose yes, but also at that point things have moved to all jet aircraft which are both way too fast to really strafe anything the size of a man, and they are mostly relying on missiles even for aerial combat.

Obviously in Vietnam the foliage was a huge problem for American aviators finding targets but even if it wasn't strafing wasn't going to change the course of war.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The US gave the VNAF slower prop planes like the T-28 explicitly for CAS, so presumeably they did some strafing now and then. Part of the conversion to the "counter-insurgency" 28D version was sticking on some 50 cals.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 6, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

The US gave the VNAF slower prop planes like the T-28 explicitly for CAS, so presumeably they did some strafing now and then.

Do you think that they gave them those planes specifically so they could strafe the jungle better?

Or because they were cheap to give, cheap to use and cheap to train for?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nenonen posted:

Do you think that they gave them those planes specifically so they could strafe the jungle better?

Or because they were cheap to give, cheap to use and cheap to train for?

Strafing is part of the package. It wasn't the only thing they could do, but the planes were explicitly for counter-insurgency, and upgrading the MGs was part of the design. And this was a new model of plane, so it wasn't just hand-me-downs.

In addition, it might be noted that the 28D had *only a few* MGs, but a ton of ammo. This IMO shows a clear intent for a strafing focus, compared to fighters that want to have lots of MGs so that you can maximise damage done in a short interval of being on target.

Vietnam isn't like 100% jungle anyway. (Especially given all those attempts at defoliation...)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Hmm... I suppose yes, but also at that point things have moved to all jet aircraft which are both way too fast to really strafe anything the size of a man,

What?

This guy isn't exactly strafing Soviet armor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5KkadJWAY

Note that most jet aircraft in the modern age are slinging cannon shells, which effectively are grenades as far as people on the ground are concerned.

Plenty of similar footage from Vietnam and Korea, just google "<war name> gun cam strafing" and you'll turn poo poo up.

Also keep in mind that it's not like you're targeting an individual dude standing in a field. The forward observer on the ground radios that they are taking fire from the tree line 700 yards to their front or whatever, and that's the thing that gets pummeled.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

What?

This guy isn't exactly strafing Soviet armor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5KkadJWAY

Note that most jet aircraft in the modern age are slinging cannon shells, which effectively are grenades as far as people on the ground are concerned.

Plenty of similar footage from Vietnam and Korea, just google "<war name> gun cam strafing" and you'll turn poo poo up.

Also keep in mind that it's not like you're targeting an individual dude standing in a field. The forward observer on the ground radios that they are taking fire from the tree line 700 yards to their front or whatever, and that's the thing that gets pummeled.

:what:

Defenestrategy posted:

Your strafe run just missed the context.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Don't prop planes also have better loiter time?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

:what:

Your strafe run just missed the context.

I was replying specifically to the part I quoted, where you said jets move too fast to strafe man sized targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Don't prop planes also have better loiter time?

Depends on the airplane. Some jets have pretty beefy fuel tanks and can loiter for quite a while, some prop planes have/had pretty short ranges.