Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The downlighters will have an airtight seal into the ceiling

I can't lie to you about your chances, but...you have my sympathies.

Is it really too late to push the airtightness envelope out a bit further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I mean its not too late to start all over again I suppose.

I don't actually have any hugely onerous air tightness requirements (i don't think although I suppose we are yet to see) in terms of actual building regs approval. Its more just for my own sake, to be able to tell myself there is decent air tightness between rooms. The only downlighters that are directly piercing the outer air tightness envelope are in the utility room/WC ceiling so if I'm not convinced, these could have further cowls placed above as its only 7 fittings.

To be honest my brain has leaked out and I no longer really know what I'm doing. Starting again I would design the house from the start for the most simple and complete external airtightness envelope possible, wrap the house I guess.

I'm also struggling hugely to record all these electrical wiring plans on any kind of legible document. Both to satisfy myself but also to hand to an electrician to show what I've done. There doesnt seem to be any software really setup to do it in? I'm going to use ms paint

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm also struggling hugely to record all these electrical wiring plans on any kind of legible document. Both to satisfy myself but also to hand to an electrician to show what I've done. There doesnt seem to be any software really setup to do it in? I'm going to use ms paint

This is the kind of book of forbidden knowledge that others will find later, in a deserted house, book wrapped in human flesh next to a tape recorder telling them in no uncertain terms not to read the book.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

What's the backup plan for when the fifth sparky takes a look at the plan doc and immediately goes mad? I assume once they're no longer of sound mind or capable of interacting with paperwork it'll be hard to get them to sign off on it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This is not an L of honor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This video is about south Texas built homes, but I feel it's appropriate for you to watch as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjjwY6zzG8

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Diagrams.net (aka Draw.io) is not half bad for throwing together big diagrams. It's basically a free, simplified version of visio.

I mainly use it for system block diagrams rather than wiring diagrams, but it should be better than mspaint.

I'm also concerned you're going to struggle to find a sparky who will sign off on it, good luck!!

Splode fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 4, 2023

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

kitten emergency posted:

I respect the commitment to the bit, if nothing else

Excuse me, it's actually 'commitment to the byte.'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

aniviron posted:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mustache Ride posted:

This video is about south Texas built homes, but I feel it's appropriate for you to watch as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjjwY6zzG8

Excuse you. Those are central Texas homes.

A friend of mine tried to get in touch with Rissinger about tearing down/rebuilding his home in central Austin and was told back in 2019, or so, that he didn't do builds for less than $450/sq ft. That friend wound up going with another architect to design and build a custom home, and I think they employed some of those high efficiency concepts that Rissinger advocates for. It cost a fortune and several years of course.

I contacted the business that Rissinger mentioned in his "Insulation 2.0" video a year or two ago to get quotes to have my blown in insulation vacuumed out, and either air seal attic penetrations and blow in new stuff, or spray foam the roof deck.

I want to say those quotes were high $6k to $10k for the two options. I really need to get my insulation improved, but that quote was painful.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

MetaJew posted:

A friend of mine tried to get in touch with Rissinger about tearing down/rebuilding his home in central Austin and was told back in 2019, or so, that he didn't do builds for less than $450/sq ft.

That would put my build at possibly as high as a million dollars

How much?!?!

1 miLLion doLLars

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 3, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

aniviron posted:

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

LoL

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
L
OL

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Those piles are definitely deeper than I thought

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bobbilljim posted:

Oops, you were right on that count, I saw kbps (which I read as kilo bit per sec) then skipped right over where they wrote kilobyte instead of kilobit. My bad!

I just wanted to clarify (haven't been back here in a while) that I did mean kilobits, it was a typo on my part.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

everdave posted:

Literally I’ve seen big subdivision boxes left open accident tally and they don’t run that much wire

GOONSPEED SIR

Every power plant has a room or two somewhere where all the sensors and indicators get wired to, thousands of devices. This is only a few full height equipment racks away.

I cant wait for the post where you turn on the bathroom light and the garage door opens.

Good luck

edit

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pro E, theres also a Solidworks product for doing controls design. You're already into industrial controls territory.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Might've been more efficient wiring-wise to just have secondary fuse boxes. But a bit too late for that. Well, until the sparky turns up and gets a heart attack.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's ok, I'm sure they can wire up an emergency defib.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Each room can already be used as an iron lung, so adding electrocution to the mix would make EMTs' lives a lot easier.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

vanity slug posted:

Each room can already be used as an iron lung, so adding electrocution to the mix would make EMTs' lives a lot easier.

Don't make me tap the " 'electrocute' means 'killing with electricity' " sign

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Defib will def kill you when done wrong.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goatface posted:

Defib will def kill you when done wrong.

True! Does that make EMTs lives easier? Probably a matter of perspective

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Or to injure, depending on your dictionary. Anyway, dead people are less work than injured people.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I imagine "I was clinically dead for two minutes!" would still qualify for the original definition.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SpeedFreek posted:

Pro E, theres also a Solidworks product for doing controls design. You're already into industrial controls territory.

I don't know much about Pro E, but Solidworks Electrical IIRC is designed for industrial control panel type stuff, so similar to AutoCAD Electrical or EPLAN.

I've used the latter 2, but never SW Electrical. I've heard it's... better than it used to be, but not quite up to snuff compared to the other packages.

I'm sure one of those packages can do a decent job at building wiring, but I dunno. If I had to pick one, I'd pick EPLAN.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

CAD thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532

There will be something free and better than MS Paint. I get EPLAN and SolidWorks through work so I'm spoiled, but I've heard NanoCAD, Draw.IO are decent options. NanoCAD being more like AutoCAD, and Draw.IO being more like visio. Either is probably better than MS Paint.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Go full BIM 2 and get Revit

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Free easy drawing solution: slideshow software (powerpoint isn't free but libreoffice or whatever). Basic lines and shapes. Basic manipulation (lengthen, rotate). Easy and smooth grouping and copy/paste functionality. And the real key to victory: the align and distribute functions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think I'm just going to try explaining it to an ai and get it to produce whatever it thinks is necessary to get an electrician to sign it off.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Just ask the AI to sign it off, it can probably approximate an electrician

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think I'm just going to try explaining it to an ai and get it to produce whatever it thinks is necessary to get an electrician to sign it off.

I suggest a bundle of 20s in a white envelope.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

"Computer, create a diagram capable of defeating an electrician."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

draw.io is not too shabby at diagrams, and fairly intuitive. You can wind up with too many layers and grabbing things to move them up and down layers can start to get annoying, but hell, it's free. It can export to .svg, .png, whatever, and you can import icon libraries

One of the nice features is if you have lines attached to a shape and you move the shape, the lines follow it/auto-update so you can shift poo poo around without having to reconnect everything.

Here's a library of ECE icons for draw.io: https://github.com/NicklasVraa/Draw-io-ECE

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Epitope posted:

Free easy drawing solution: slideshow software (powerpoint isn't free but libreoffice or whatever). Basic lines and shapes. Basic manipulation (lengthen, rotate). Easy and smooth grouping and copy/paste functionality. And the real key to victory: the align and distribute functions.

If you're installing LibreOffice in the first place, Draw is surprisingly nice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Computer, load up Celery Man

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The electrician viewing the diagrams:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs