Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
decided to play stranger of paradise. i am enjoying how weird and stupid it is so far.

also just immediately, even though the dialogue was all nothing, the idea of just selecting NPCs from a list in a town gives me a lot of enjoyment without needing them to design the whole town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

FF15s open world felt empty and lifeless

I am also empty and lifeless, so I enjoy most open world games

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Just like reality! :smith:

E:

Ragequit posted:

I am also empty and lifeless, so I enjoy most open world games

:smith::respek::smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF15s open world was slightly better than an average Ubisoft open world but all that really means is

fridge corn posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF15’s open world didn’t have much going on in it but it had the four bros driving down the highway blasting Sunleth Waterscape and that was magical

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also way better than XIII's lack of a world, just a bunch of landscapes randomly connected together.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
I'm just gonna come right out and say it. All Final Fantasy games are good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Baykin posted:

I'm just gonna come right out and say it. All Final Fantasy games are good.

*Glances at this post*

*Glances over at Dirge of Cerberus*

"Bullshit."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have held for a while that all mainline FF games are at least a little bit good

That only applies to mainline though. There are some real stinkers in the spin-offs.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
All the bad spinoffs are worth it to give us Stranger of Paradise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Heck, even XV stuck the landing in the end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I were to make a mainline Final Fantasy tier list the tiers would be “Among My Favorite Games,” “Games I Like a Lot,” and bottom tier is “Games I Like Just Fine.” There really aren’t any I outright dislike.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

If I were to make a mainline Final Fantasy tier list the tiers would be “Among My Favorite Games,” “Games I Like a Lot,” and bottom tier is “Games I Like Just Fine.” There really aren’t any I outright dislike.

Great, Good, and Bad But Funny

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i like final fantasy, as a series and as a concept

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The only FF game that I didn't like (but didn't hate) was WoFF. All the rest are at least "good"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Despite all of the things wrong with Final Fantasy 1, it'll always have a special place in my heart because I couldn't remember the name of it.

When I was young, I was spending the night at a friend's house, and after we'd stayed up all night watching movies, they decided to play Final Fantasy. They explained that there was only one save slot, so I couldn't start my own game, but offered to let me play with their save. Since I wanted to experience the game from the start, I politely declined, and watched them go through the Ice Cave.

A few years later, I was spending the night at another friend's house. This friend had a Sega Genesis, and was playing Phantasy Star 3. The only thing I could remember about the game my other friend played was that it had Fantasy in the name, so I assumed this was the 3rd game.

It was a few more years before I learned that they were different games.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

FrostyPox posted:

The only FF game that I didn't like (but didn't hate) was WoFF. All the rest are at least "good"

I had a lot of fun with WoFF: Exploring dungeons while riding magitech armor or favorite monster, lots of nods to FF series, ATB with stacking mechanics were fun. The flaws are pretty bad though; the mandatory minigames are enough to keep me from replaying it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Less Fat Luke posted:

I just finished the main story, still have DLC to go, but it is absolutely incredible. Really just nails the atmosphere and the story reveals.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
al-Cid is fantastic but actual Cid named his son Ffamran, it's like one and a half good Cids

although honestly every time Dr. Cid's on camera he steals the show so I should probably rethink this opinion, his voice actor (who I guess has also done some anime? thanks imdb) had a goddamn blast with his lines

sadly there is not a youtube video of him just going "a trial for Ashelia B'nargin DALMASCA!!!"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kyoujin posted:

I had a lot of fun with WoFF: Exploring dungeons while riding magitech armor or favorite monster, lots of nods to FF series, ATB with stacking mechanics were fun. The flaws are pretty bad though; the mandatory minigames are enough to keep me from replaying it.

For sure. It was the definition of mediocre. It had some pretty good aspects but some very underwhelming aspects too.

The concept was great, it could've been a much better game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crisis Core question: I got my Buster Sword proficiency up to 30% but I haven’t learned break damage limit, what gives???

Edit: found the answer after digging a bunch. You unlock it after hitting max damage with abilities while in strong stance a certain number of times. You can get it as early as like 14%.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 5, 2023

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Harrow posted:

This is me. Even though there's evidence in this very thread of me being a moron about FF13. I really like all of the mainline games, including Tactics. Like 13 and 15 are probably the weakest of the modern games, but I still ended up enjoying them both. 13 just really needed to finish giving you combat mechanics much much earlier than it did. 15 was a mess story-wise but I liked the music and the combat. Some of the Hunts and optional bosses were rad.

Can't say the same about the various spin-offs, but I haven't played them all. X-2 is great

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Less Fat Luke posted:

100% correct

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

wizard2 posted:

100% correct

https://i.imgur.com/kKvr0TT.mp4

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyoujin posted:

My main issue with WoFF was the horrible lag on Vita before/after battles. That was enough that I couldn't make it past the Yuna chapter.

Like it was worse than FFIX.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

HD DAD posted:

Having to go through all your pictures and pick one to take with you at the end of the game is unironically one of the best moments in FF.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

I have held for a while that all mainline FF games are at least a little bit good

That only applies to mainline though. There are some real stinkers in the spin-offs.

100% this. The worst FF is still probably a decent enough game. There's a lot of poo poo out there.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The only FF I'd say I didn't like is 2, and I still unironically play DoC for fun. It's me, I am the person they put Shelke into WoFF for.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Shulk is in it?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Shulk is in it?

Shelke, a character from FF7: Dirge of Cerberus. A weird girl with dual corded lightsabers and the shadow clone jutsu that immediately overcame years of abuse and being conditioned to be an emotionless living super computer by Cid asking her to be cool for a little bit (and also a dead sister). She rocks.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Flytrap posted:

Shelke, a character from FF7: Dirge of Cerberus. A weird girl with dual corded lightsabers and the shadow clone jutsu that immediately overcame years of abuse and being conditioned to be an emotionless living super computer by Cid asking her to be cool for a little bit (and also a dead sister). She rocks.

Except for the part where she has the body of a 10 year old girl, the game explicitly points out she has the body of a 10 year old girl, and then makes her Vincent's love interest.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Except for the part where she has the body of a 10 year old girl, the game explicitly points out she has the body of a 10 year old girl, and then makes her Vincent's love interest.

Yeah that part sucks, as does the uncomfortable amount of time the game spends focusing the camera on her rear end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Starting to think Dirge of Cerberus might be a bad game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm still baffled she made it into World of Final Fantasy.

Somebody at Square loves the character and I bet almost anything she'll be in the FFVIIR sequels.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Still funny how the English version of Dirge removed the multiplayer but added jumping

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HD DAD posted:

FF15 is the single greatest ending to almost any media in history. I base this entirely on it completely turning my feelings around on the story despite the last 20 hours being pretty mediocre on that front. Ending so good it made me like the rest of the story retroactively. The inverse ME3.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the discussion that lead to the name of this thread is very funny in hindsight since it turns out the easy mode of FFXVI is called "playing the video game"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

kirbysuperstar posted:

Still funny how the English version of Dirge removed the multiplayer but added jumping

Even better, they added double jumping.

Except they made zero changes to level boundaries, so all double jumping will ever do is bonk against invisible walls since the levels were designed around having a single jump.

Also they changed your evade from a dodge roll to a dash because ??????

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quickstepping looks cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

the discussion that lead to the name of this thread is very funny in hindsight since it turns out the easy mode of FFXVI is called "playing the video game"

To be very fair it's a very homo game (non-derogatory).