Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
People actually watched Warcraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think it's the second or third highest grossing video game movie once Mario is taken into account.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Fimmel's character is the only one that's interesting or has a personality, but the movie is extremely bad yeah

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I saw it because I love trash and it was trash. It was way, way less fun than Gods Of Egypt, though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's amazing how everyone agreed the big CG orcs were by far the best part of the movie and everything else was a disaster.

What a tremendous waste of Ben Foster and Ruth Negga that movie was.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missed out on having Jamie Lee Curtis in it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The MSJ posted:

I think it's the second or third highest grossing video game movie once Mario is taken into account.

Wikipedia says it was #1 til Mario which is just fascinating. I assumed it was a massive bomb. I'm guessing I could say that for every lovely effects-heavy blockbuster of the last 20 years though tbf.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
A vast majority of Warcraft’s gross was China while it relatively flopped domestically, which unfortunately wasn’t good enough for The Accountants That Be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And that may or may not have been some kinda fraud shenanigans going on in China given it was supposedly posting record box office from cinemas in cities currently flooded by a tropical storm.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GoldStandardConure posted:

What a tremendous waste of Ben Foster and Ruth Negga that movie was.

That was part of the issue, too, though: every human character, including the king and the Saruman-ish traitor, read as under 40, recently groomed, and fairly-to-extremely attractive. It felt like cosplayers doing a fan film. The CG orcs worked because they were the only part with any texture or gravitas at all.

I like the WC games fine, but I loved Diablo 1 & 2 more than anything as a kid. The WC movie was so off-putting and lovely, I never want to see Blizzard adapt Diablo to anything, just to preserve its memory.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The fishing boat in man of steel is called “Debbie Sue”. Any bets on Deb Snyder’s middle name?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

well why not posted:

The fishing boat in man of steel is called “Debbie Sue”. Any bets on Deb Snyder’s middle name?

putting it all on martha

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's amazing how everyone agreed the big CG orcs were by far the best part of the movie and everything else was a disaster.

I forget the main orc guy but he was a case study in "a stock character with enough extra trappings to keep my interest." And the movie just kills his rear end dead for no real reason!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I forget the main orc guy but he was a case study in "a stock character with enough extra trappings to keep my interest." And the movie just kills his rear end dead for no real reason!

The movie coming up in this thread made me watch it for the first time yesterday, what a shitpile. But I agree, for most of the runtime I was thinking it would be better if instead of it being Warcraft 1 ORCS VS. HUMANS it was just a movie about all the orc stuff because that was a way better executed story. I agree Someone mentioned that Travis Fimmel is miscast but I think he's just going above and beyond every other human actor in it.

There's a lot of points where the actors are trapped just sitting or standing facing each other spouting exposition but he's the only one that really gets into it body language-wise. You can tell they were trying to actively avoid it or something too because there's a ton of talking head kind of shots where you can tell he and whoever he's acting across are communicating with each other much more naturally because of how they're moving but the shots are so close up like the camera was actively fighting against the performances.

Basically his character was the only one that came off as kind of genuine when everyone else was a video game cutscene incarnate.

From what I read Duncan Jones' cut of the movie was 40 minutes longer but I don't think 40 minutes more of what we experienced would make for a better movie unless it's like an Alien 3 style every individual scene was more fleshed out kind of thing AND there's more story and not just a large amount of deleted scenes.

The CG generally is really is good across the board and holds up well to me.

Also I gotta say, like, ALL the comedy attempts fell completely flat, like dang.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 3, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I should probably watch Warcraft again, as it's one of the most astonishingly bad movies of the 21st century. What I remember:

- Travis Fimmel being lit like he's a bad guy in a funhouse at the end

- The orcs being in some better but still not quite good movie (which is apparently the part Duncan Jones worked on most)

- Dominic Cooper's hilarious helmet

well why not posted:

I saw it because I love trash and it was trash. It was way, way less fun than Gods Of Egypt, though.

Gods of Egypt was just an even less good Clash of the Titans remake

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

That was part of the issue, too, though: every human character, including the king and the Saruman-ish traitor, read as under 40, recently groomed, and fairly-to-extremely attractive. It felt like cosplayers doing a fan film. The CG orcs worked because they were the only part with any texture or gravitas at all.

I like the WC games fine, but I loved Diablo 1 & 2 more than anything as a kid. The WC movie was so off-putting and lovely, I never want to see Blizzard adapt Diablo to anything, just to preserve its memory.

For real, a Diablo (even just a Diablo 1!) movie or miniseries could whip rear end but there's no way Hollywood would allow that.

We need more fantasy horror in general.

A no-nonsense hard R rated Dredd or The Raid-esque fantasy movie where you get 30 minutes of solid build up of small stuff and setting the stage with a very small cast followed by 70 minutes of violent asskicking to the bottom of the dungeon+revelations about The Dark Lord would rule.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

For real, a Diablo (even just a Diablo 1!) movie or miniseries could whip rear end but there's no way Hollywood would allow that.

Diablo 1 and it would need to be low dialogue, minimalist movie (but still violent as gently caress), otherwise it will get bogged down in the Diablo 2 onwards bullshit of Decard Cain saying 'horadric' nine times in a single sentence.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
a diablo miniseries would just be netflix castlevania but worse

it brings me no joy to say this

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

Diablo 1 and it would need to be low dialogue, minimalist movie (but still violent as gently caress), otherwise it will get bogged down in the Diablo 2 onwards bullshit of Decard Cain saying 'horadric' nine times in a single sentence.

Yeah like I always loved Conan the Barbarian but the more fantasy movies I see the more and more I seriously respect it for its pacing and having entire scenes that have no dialogue at all.

For real someone give Panos Cosmatos $100,000,000 and a longplay of Diablo 1 and let him go to town.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Correct.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah like I always loved Conan the Barbarian but the more fantasy movies I see the more and more I seriously respect it for its pacing and having entire scenes that have no dialogue at all.

For real someone give Panos Cosmatos $100,000,000 and a longplay of Diablo 1 and let him go to town.

Definitely check out Conquest if you haven't seen it. I think it's right up your alley.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
rose tico's sister, but a sith lord. kino.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snyder would've probably made a pretty rad Warcraft movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Definitely check out Conquest if you haven't seen it. I think it's right up your alley.

I loving love Conquest :hfive:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Snyder would've probably made a pretty rad Warcraft movie.

Henry would have made a kickass Arthas

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

Panos Cosmatos' "The Viewing" except its the villagers of Tristram sitting around for an hour talking about everything gone wrong in Sanctuary, before they hype themselves up to storm the church and get massacred by The Butcher.

Garret Dillahunt as Farnham the Drunkard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Picture a molten metal sword. Picture what it does to things it hits. Now picture a lightsaber and what it does to things it hits.

It's the same dang thing!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hopefully their people never run into this guy

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/man-slaps-molten-metal-with-bare-hand-old-video-baffles-twitter-2856784

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Picture a molten metal sword. Picture what it does to things it hits. Now picture a lightsaber and what it does to things it hits.

It's the same dang thing!

"Lava sword is just like a lightsaber."
Lightsabers have always-already been made out of lava.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There has to be a lava lightsaber in the whole history of the Star Wars EU. Like, something used by a Sith Lord in a DLC to a late-00s LucasArts game or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
To briefly return to Warcraft, it could be used to teach the importance of actually adapting source material. The Orcs are transplanted wholesale from the game, complete with their bizarre proportions. They actually look pretty good, which makes sense since there are short CGI segments in the game. The humans aren't, though, not entirely. They have the big goofy armour, but on normally proportioned humans. Aside from looking stupid (and it does look really stupid) it also results in humans who a) look like they can't move or fight and b) probably actually couldn't do any serious stuntwork. Which means that the war aspect of 'warcraft' has to be on the backburner since none of your human actors can actually do any stunts. As a result, you have to spend a lot more time on the lore, and the lore is really loving stupid. Much more noticeably stupid than if it was at least punctuated by some decent fight scenes or big setpieces.

A better Warcraft movie is either complete CGI or more of its own thing, able to adapt the designs, characters and themes into something that works in the context of a live action film.

There's also the woman orc who is literally the below meme to a genuinely embarassing extent.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Okay to be fair both lady trolls and demons have weird feet.

Wait, that's not better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Durotan vs Gul'Dan was pretty decent iMO but that falls into the side that all the orc centric stuff was really drat good. I hated anything involving the Alliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWWIRlDW4M

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowman_McK posted:

There's also the woman orc who is literally the below meme to a genuinely embarassing extent.

Not to defend it, but Garona Halforcen's whole deal is that she doesn't belong in either culture because she's of mixed parentage (and possibly also fel corruption in vitro, thanks Medivh) and that's why she's not huge like literally every other Orc. Durotan's wife is more indicative of what Orc women would look like.

Again, not defending the choice (I was supremely disappointed in WarCraft and my expectations weren't high to begin with), but the text did back up their choice

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Snowman_McK posted:

To briefly return to Warcraft, it could be used to teach the importance of actually adapting source material. The Orcs are transplanted wholesale from the game, complete with their bizarre proportions. They actually look pretty good, which makes sense since there are short CGI segments in the game. The humans aren't, though, not entirely. They have the big goofy armour, but on normally proportioned humans. Aside from looking stupid (and it does look really stupid) it also results in humans who a) look like they can't move or fight and b) probably actually couldn't do any serious stuntwork. Which means that the war aspect of 'warcraft' has to be on the backburner since none of your human actors can actually do any stunts. As a result, you have to spend a lot more time on the lore, and the lore is really loving stupid. Much more noticeably stupid than if it was at least punctuated by some decent fight scenes or big setpieces.

A better Warcraft movie is either complete CGI or more of its own thing, able to adapt the designs, characters and themes into something that works in the context of a live action film.

The human knights move and fight and do stunts in their armor fine - it's not real armor or combat so Jones used all sorts of movie magic. The sfx and design aren't really the problem with warcraft, it's the story - of course it's stupid, that's inevitable, but it's also very boring, which is unforgivable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

just read Anthony Hopkins is gonna voice a chappie in rebel moon

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hell yes he is

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

just read Anthony Hopkins is gonna voice a chappie in rebel moon

Not just any regular sort of chappie, his character is like a knights templar chappie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
* nudge *

* point *

That's Anthony Hopkins.