Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

king is the hottest. that's why he's called king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Even though Kaido is pissed that Yamato wants to be like Oden, and is a brutal warlord that wants to create a state of anarchy, he still calls him his son.

Kaido is secure with Yamato's gender identity. KAIDO. One of the biggest villains in the series.

Though it is fun to see transphobes out themselves on Twitter whenever this rolls around.

"Dude, nice rack, bro!" "Yo, thanks!" *fistbump*

Yeah, Kaido didn’t care that his kid wanted to be a boy, his issue was that his kid specifically wanted to be Oden

I miss Yamato, I hope he comes back before long

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Elblanco posted:

I don't know. The bath scene has sanji and brook pretty psyched to see a dude's boobs. They seem more secure than most of the fandom.

boobs are good

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

RC Cola posted:

boobs are good

How did your eye surgery go, Oda-sensei

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They nuked Big Mum from orbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJ6tPGDc0E

mdct posted:

the Okama Kingdom is a place that Sanji found so gross he learned how to fly to get away from the people there, which obviously sucks.
But at the same time, they're an important part of the revolutionary army and are on the whole a force of unambiguous good in the setting, so it's kind of like lose two take one in the end. It's weird.

Okama Kingdom is rough re-read, cause the entire premise of Sanji getting his power-up was Drag Queens are gross uggos and it was just.. yeaaaaah. Not great.

And not even in a 1 note throw away joke, but multiple chapters.

Waffleman_ posted:

There was also a good portion of the arc where it really felt like Yamato was going to become a crew member, so it would have been a trans main character

Honestly it was pretty much right up until the chapter where they were leaving it felt like they were going to join the crew

But again it was also the arc where Jimbei officially joined, so I guess Oda talked himself out of adding 2 new crew mates at once.
Probably a too many cooks situation re:battles as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"This arc's been going on too long, I gotta wrap this up before my vacation"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Infinitum posted:

They nuked Big Mum from orbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJ6tPGDc0E

Okama Kingdom is rough re-read, cause the entire premise of Sanji getting his power-up was Drag Queens are gross uggos and it was just.. yeaaaaah. Not great.

And not even in a 1 note throw away joke, but multiple chapters.

Honestly it was pretty much right up until the chapter where they were leaving it felt like they were going to join the crew

But again it was also the arc where Jimbei officially joined, so I guess Oda talked himself out of adding 2 new crew mates at once.
Probably a too many cooks situation re:battles as well.

There’s still a possibility of Yamato (and maybe Vivi) joining back up towards the end though

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the onigashima raid was already long as hell with every straw hat needing their own battle sequence so I don't even know if oda is actually finishing the story by 2030

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't want Yamato at the end! I want Yamato now!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Terper posted:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

RuBisCO posted:

How did your eye surgery go, Oda-sensei

Prepare for Nami's boobs to double or even triple in size by next arc! Her waist will invert on itself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

On the contrary, now he can see what women actually look like

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

On the contrary, now he can see what women actually look like

Change it back, doc, change it back!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Part of me still hopes Yamato will roll in by the end of Egg Head or something, especially in hindsight as Egg Head would have been an awful "first time Straw Hat" arc for him, but that's clearly cope and also seeing all this twitter poo poo pop up again maybe it was for the best :sigh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yamato joins the Straw Hats, but it's the Space Battleship Yamato

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I seriously doubt Oda made any last minute changes on Yamato joining. A new crew member should be a huge deal and major part of the story backbone.

That said, yeah I also dunno what he was doing with Yamato's writing wrt to being part of the crew in the last bits of Wano. The ending was kind of a rushed mess.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think yamato is being specifically utilized for the final war or the epilogue

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There's going to be a moment where all the straw hat allies sail out to go to war with the government and/or blackbeard and Yamato will likely be part of the Wano fleet as a commander

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yamato will be driving pluton

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I like that oda draws like he does. I'm not horned up for it, I just think its a funny pg13 pervy comic by a funny pg13 pervy guy. It's 2023 and I see another "awooga!!!" joke in my manga about stretchy pirates and I think "hehe hell yeah"

RC Cola posted:

Prepare for Nami's boobs to double or even triple in size by next arc! Her waist will invert on itself

NOW we're talkin!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kild posted:

Yamato will be driving pluton

if odens role was supposed to be this i would love it

maybe pluton was meant to fly and be steered by a dragon?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
People always default to the Vivre Card and that one intro box saying Yamato is Kaidos daughter. But for whatever reason they ignore the fact Kiku had the same loving text box introducing her as "Izous brother."

It's cause nerds get scared of jerking off to a dude. That's it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

People always default to the Vivre Card and that one intro box saying Yamato is Kaidos daughter. But for whatever reason they ignore the fact Kiku had the same loving text box introducing her as "Izous brother."

It's cause nerds get scared of jerking off to a dude. That's it.
they don't really care about Kiku but if they did, anyone desperate to prove Yamato is a girl would gladly accept that as proof Kiku is a guy

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
It's really funny to me that all the captains get cool epithets except Kid's, which is just "captain."

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
but its an homage to captain crunch

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain is actually just Kid's middle name

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MisterDuck posted:

It's really funny to me that all the captains get cool epithets except Kid's, which is just "captain."

*taps thread title*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It works better in Japanese because his epithet is literally just "Captain" in English rather than just the normal word for captain

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3wNv8peZI

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Kaido literally calls him with masculine pronouns too. The villain of the arc is less transphobic than these "fans" lmao.

There's an entire scene where Yamato is bathing with Luffy and the male part of the crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could call Kiado crulle, and a tyrant but not a transphobe.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 5, 2023

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

Waffleman_ posted:

It works better in Japanese because his epithet is literally just "Captain" in English rather than just the normal word for captain

"Captain" has deep cultural meaning in America that can't possibly be portrayed with Japanese words like "キャプテン."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
honestly it would have been funny if they made his english epithet the romanized version of a japanese word for captain.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eustass "Honcho" Kid

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eustass "The Big Cheese" Kid

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I seriously doubt Oda made any last minute changes on Yamato joining. A new crew member should be a huge deal and major part of the story backbone.

That said, yeah I also dunno what he was doing with Yamato's writing wrt to being part of the crew in the last bits of Wano. The ending was kind of a rushed mess.

The interesting thing is that someone in this thread made a complaint along the lines of "Yamato's reason for staying behind doesn't make sense to me; my headcanon is that Yamato is staying to protect Wano and isn't saying so in order to spare Momonosuke's feelings." And then it turned out that Yamato was indeed staying to protect Wano and came up with the thing about wanting to tour the country to spare Momonosuke's feelings!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The captain is the most important person in a pirate crew so if thats your nickname you must be very important.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The captain is the most important person in a pirate crew so if thats your nickname you must be very important.

drat, good for usopp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Didn’t Sanji get a transfusion from a gay guy in Fishman Island and that was the last of his nosebleed problems?

They weren’t particularly positive towards that character from memory.