Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
it doesnt have any of the plant room gubbins on yet, nor the POE cameras and stuff but heres a first go at basic electrics. Not really how I wanted to do it as doesnt show really the actual physical runs through trunking and stuff.

hmmm or the smoke/heat/whatever alarms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It all seems straightforward enough.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
You should have just carved your house out of a giant L-shaped bundle of cables.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I don't understand any of this. I though cabling had to be run at right angles

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you should tear it all out and do a subpanel at each end of the L to minimize runs

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't understand any of this. I though cabling had to be run at right angles

See this is the problem, cabling has a minimum bend radius so you literally can't put cable in an L-shaped house. The only thing stopping the house springing open like a mousetrap is the deep foundations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jaded Burnout posted:

See this is the problem, cabling has a minimum bend radius so you literally can't put cable in an L-shaped house. The only thing stopping the house springing open like a mousetrap is the deep foundations.

What if the foundations are stronger than the earth? Will the force of the cabling rip open the earth's crust itself???

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

it doesnt have any of the plant room gubbins on yet, nor the POE cameras and stuff but heres a first go at basic electrics. Not really how I wanted to do it as doesnt show really the actual physical runs through trunking and stuff.

hmmm or the smoke/heat/whatever alarms

Create virtual termination points at the cable bend junctures and map them from node to node until they truly terminate. It’s probably only necessary to provide per-cable detail on the initial origin and final termination; that should immensely improve both accuracy-to-life and readability.

Unless I’m misunderstanding how complex the cablings trunk/branching is. I’m definitely misunderstanding.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Have you considered that what you've done here is make the plant room a single point of failure in the event of a targeted strike on your house and what you should have done is build several duplicate plant rooms along with associated cabling scattered around the property to provide redundancy and continuity of service.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The real failure here is lack of sub panel per room. If you trip a breaker do you really want to have to leave the room you're in to walk all the way to the plant room every time

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The real failure here is lack of sub panel per room. If you trip a breaker do you really want to have to leave the room you're in to walk all the way to the plant room every time

I'm sure there will be a full industrial substation integrated into the house with auto reclosers on all breakers :science:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tidal wave emulator posted:

Have you considered that what you've done here is make the plant room a single point of failure in the event of a targeted strike on your house and what you should have done is build several duplicate plant rooms along with associated cabling scattered around the property to provide redundancy and continuity of service.

Long ago I worked for a tech company that was courting Sony as a client, and one of their vetting questionnaires included asking for our contingency plan should London be hit with a nuclear weapon. Since everyone in the company lived and worked in London, the answer was "we won't be around to care".

For this house, I call this scenario "L-dom Has Fallen".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like all good electricians I decide to take a break on it and do some plumbing instead.

Deleted this whole post again by the way with my cackhanded typing, loving hell.

Anyway. The bathrooms need tile backer board covered all over all the walls as trying to tile the blocks will make them explode. It will also give a nice surface to tank with the waterproofing gunk around the wetroom areas.

Before I can stick those up though I need to run down the various water pipes and electronic control cables from the service loft areas above where the water manifolds and shower/bath mixer control units are.

There is going to be a boxed in area in the corner of each bathroom to hide the wastes and also the cistern of the toilet. The basin will then sit on top of this element also. So for now I just need to run 2 colds and a hot pipe down to that area where I can pick them up later. Because I've got individual shut offs on the manifold for each thing, toilet, basin, etc I need to run two colds down to the box rather than just one and T from it there. Not a big deal. The shaver socket will also go somewhere on this box so need to run a cable down for that too.

The shower head will be mounted directly in the ceiling so don't need to worry about that just now, but theres also a shower wand thats mounted on and fed from the wall so need to run a line down from the shower control unit for that. The shower controls are electronic, a rotary dial for temperature and a button to switch between rain/wand, so another line for that into the shower. The actual on button is separate and will go across on the back wall. Don't really know why. The bath has the same rotary control with a stop/go button in the middle, but also a cool "run a bath" one touch button. I can also control this from my phone. Anywhere in the world. Or like ask google to run a bath verbally.

Material finishes aren't confirmed yet but something relatively simple and elegant, design wise this is roughly what it'll be: (the en suite the same, just minus the bath)

I'm not getting any younger though so I may need to consider the possibility of females coming into my life, and so house, at some point. I might decide to go for something a bit more interesting to attract them, we'll see.

I'm running the pipes down the wall in copper as they need to be chased into the blockwork and the copper allows much less bulky fittings than the plastic Hep2o stuff. hep2o fittings are also really expensive, but once out of the wall I'll switch into them for ease of construction and to connect into the existing hep2o manifolds and shower/bath control units.

so making up some bits with the brazing torch.

some of the solder joints are tidier than others, this is a good one btw

fit them in their chases

Seems to be a bit of conflicting advice about whether the copper is OK to run without sheathing. But I decide it probably is best to avoid direct plaster/tile adhesive/cement touching and potentially corroding them so I get and fit some cheap lagging stuff.

It squashes down neatly by hand so boarding over should be fine.

As i say the hep2o fittings start to add up and I need a fair few as I don't want to drill through the engineering timber trusses, so I need to hop about in the access loft to get each run in the right bay of the ceiling joists.

Obviously those coloured wires won't stay there, need shoving in the trunking and lids putting on.

Repeat in the en suite

For various reasons it actually seems a bit more complicated here. Remember those windows 98 screenshavers?

hmmm

this next shot is from where you'll stick your head through an access panel in the loft, so it should be reasonably easy to access all the manifold taps and whatever

temporarily break some insulation out to squeeze down the back of the last truss.

Nice.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
In retrospect those foundations were actually a good idea because you have more cables than actual house in there

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Screenshavers?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure if the building code in Britain has an allowance for unusual weight of copper in calculating loads.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The bathroom is infinitely improved by the addition of the red & black, it just needs doom-wad non euclidian geometry to really make it pop.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The bathroom is infinitely improved by the addition of the red & black, it just needs doom-wad non euclidian geometry to really make it pop.

perhaps a tasteful wall texture like this? bonus points if it's somehow animated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do yourself a favor and run a hot water line (and electric) to the toilet, so you can upgrade to a smart toilet & warm water bidet in the future

trust me, :females: appreciate a lad who's got a fancy bidet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah digging the early 90s IBM PC color scheme in the bathroom. Great filter, anyone who agrees to put up with that every morning is sure to never leave you

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I'm sure there will be a full industrial substation integrated into the house with auto reclosers on all breakers :science:

He can hire me as a live in substation operator; I have been a substation operator for 15 years. We can discuss wages and compensation, DM me!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah digging the early 90s IBM PC color scheme in the bathroom. Great filter, anyone who agrees to put up with that every morning is sure to never leave you

is there a chance you weren't around HCH three or four years ago and don't get the reference?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

...to squeeze down the back of the last truss.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

loving amateur hour running copper down to feed the bath tap, just have it come out the ceiling like magic, bonus points if it hits the bath

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Leperflesh posted:

do yourself a favor and run a hot water line (and electric) to the toilet, so you can upgrade to a smart toilet & warm water bidet in the future

trust me, :females: appreciate a lad who's got a fancy bidet

You don't need a hot water tap. All of the good bidet/washlet seats have a built in water heater of some sort. You just need a cold water line.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MetaJew posted:

You don't need a hot water tap. All of the good bidet/washlet seats have a built in water heater of some sort. You just need a cold water line.

Well sure, then you need an outlet and a cord, which I also suggested.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lets not lose our poo poo over this. especially in a bidet

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

with all that underfloor heating piping what if it ran right up into the toilet and gave you a warm seat too, I bet you could engineer your own cozy toilet design

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Leperflesh posted:

Well sure, then you need an outlet and a cord, which I also suggested.

Leperflesh posted:

with all that underfloor heating piping what if it ran right up into the toilet and gave you a warm seat too, I bet you could engineer your own cozy toilet design

I forgot which thread I was in. Yes, run a hot water line from the radiant floor plumbing to heat the seat-- maybe engineer a special heat exchanger within the toilet.

It's a shame this house hasn't been featured on Grand Designs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The bathroom design is nice imo, although I've never enjoyed those in ceiling showers - being able to control the location of the showerhead above head height is much better.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hear me out…ladies would probably dig like maybe a sunken tub with some gravel around it

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

everdave posted:

Hear me out…ladies would probably dig like maybe a sunken tub with some gravel around it

Just trim the top off the I beams.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NJAN, do yourself a favor and put grab bars next to the freestanding tub and in the shower. Bathroom falls are dangerous, and standing on slippery surfaces is hard. Furthermore, freestanding tubs are harder to get out of than you think they are, because you can't anchor your hands on the rim when getting out of the tub.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Furthermore, freestanding tubs are harder to get out of than you think they are, because you can't anchor your hands on the rim when getting out of the tub.

You can't?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well, I can't. Our clawfoot tub is a little over knee height and flares outward, and to get out of it without the grab bar, I'd have to bend way over, grab the rolled edge, straddle it, then swing the other foot over and stand up. Built-in tubs aren't usually that tall.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, I can't. Our clawfoot tub is a little over knee height and flares outward, and to get out of it without the grab bar, I'd have to bend way over, grab the rolled edge, straddle it, then swing the other foot over and stand up. Built-in tubs aren't usually that tall.

Sounds like a good way to stay limber.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Heated toilet seats exist and are very nice when a full washlet bidet is unavailable.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

NJAN, do yourself a favor and put grab bars next to the freestanding tub and in the shower. Bathroom falls are dangerous, and standing on slippery surfaces is hard. Furthermore, freestanding tubs are harder to get out of than you think they are, because you can't anchor your hands on the rim when getting out of the tub.

I once saw an adult film that basically turned into an infomercial for bathroom grab bars halfway through. They were in the shower and most of the dialogue became "and if you have this bar you can do it like this...then you can grab this other bar and do it like this...or you can open the shower door and grab the bar attached to the toilet and do this". It was bizarre but persuasive.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not gonna lie, the ads they run on network television for extra tall jet tubs with a seat and a door are starting to look appealing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Not gonna lie, the ads they run on network television for extra tall jet tubs with a seat and a door are starting to look appealing.

you're getting old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Deleted this whole post again by the way with my cackhanded typing, loving hell.
Not unlike the feeling you will have when the electrician tells you you need to do it over.