Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bought a new car in 2020 and I think as late as a couple months ago I was finding new things with clear protective film on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i've also scratched up something convincing myself it had a plastic layer on it when it didn't

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I instinctively remove it when I see it on things, even at friends houses. It drives me insane, at least they've started making it blue on a lot of the stainless so people know it's there.

I had a friend who complained about his new appliances getting scratched super easily. When I was over for dinner I realized it was just the film. Peeled it off and revealed a bright shiny new layer of stainless. It blew his wife's mind. We had a good laugh.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

All the walls in my house have this same texture I really don't love:

They are plaster over rock lath. I'm going to be doing some renovations soon and part of that will include repainting the entire interior, so if I'm going to ever do anything about the texture, now is the time.

Is there anything to be done about it? Could I sand and skim coat and sand and skim coat ad nauseum. with joint compound per the thread title, or will that not stick well to existing paint? There are also cracks in the plaster of course, especially along borders between sheets of the rock lath-anything to be done about those if I were to coat over it? The texture was obviously put there for a reason because the walls are uhhhh not very straight or flat-I'd probably still have sort of texture but maybe more of a venetian plaster kind of thing instead of this rough orange peel I hate.

I know thin drywall is an option, but alot of the trim around my base/crown/doors etc. is pretty shallow so I would have to either add more trim there or replace the existing, neither of which I really want to do. Also because of the plaster/rock lath, stud finders are pretty useless and its an older house so the stud spacing isn't super consistent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my paint thread is dead but the guy who did post there is super knowledgeable

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

StormDrain posted:

OK none of that made any sense to me based on any fixture I've ever dealt with but I'm glad you got it sorted!

The center "cylinder" is the fixture. It is attached from above somehow. The bottom two rectangles are the ceiling plaster. As you can see, it's keeping the fixture from coming all the way down. The red is what I had to remove with sandpaper.

The blue represents the springs that are meant to hold the light faceplate (and what holds the bulb) in place, which is in green. You can see how, originally, the faceplate couldn't be inserted properly and be held in place.

When I removed the red, it was able to be pulled down so it could be in the right position but when I tried to insert the face plate, it just pushed everything up, so it didn't work. That's why I had to stuff some cardboard (brown) with rubber cement up there after I pulled the thing down.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

All the walls in my house have this same texture I really don't love:

They are plaster over rock lath. I'm going to be doing some renovations soon and part of that will include repainting the entire interior, so if I'm going to ever do anything about the texture, now is the time.

Is there anything to be done about it? Could I sand and skim coat and sand and skim coat ad nauseum. with joint compound per the thread title, or will that not stick well to existing paint? There are also cracks in the plaster of course, especially along borders between sheets of the rock lath-anything to be done about those if I were to coat over it? The texture was obviously put there for a reason because the walls are uhhhh not very straight or flat-I'd probably still have sort of texture but maybe more of a venetian plaster kind of thing instead of this rough orange peel I hate.

I know thin drywall is an option, but alot of the trim around my base/crown/doors etc. is pretty shallow so I would have to either add more trim there or replace the existing, neither of which I really want to do. Also because of the plaster/rock lath, stud finders are pretty useless and its an older house so the stud spacing isn't super consistent.

I'd take the opportunity to fix the cracks properly- cut them out, secure the plaster to the lathe, and fill em- then skim coat and sand flat. Idk if skim coating with joint compound over plaster is contraindicated.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

you know how some new electronics and appliances have plastic film over them for protection during shipping, that you remove once it's installed? i just realized my bosch dishwasher does

i bought it pre-covid

I did the same thing. It was very satisfying peeling it off, 5 years later

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

totalnewbie posted:

The center "cylinder" is the fixture. It is attached from above somehow. The bottom two rectangles are the ceiling plaster. As you can see, it's keeping the fixture from coming all the way down. The red is what I had to remove with sandpaper.

The blue represents the springs that are meant to hold the light faceplate (and what holds the bulb) in place, which is in green. You can see how, originally, the faceplate couldn't be inserted properly and be held in place.

When I removed the red, it was able to be pulled down so it could be in the right position but when I tried to insert the face plate, it just pushed everything up, so it didn't work. That's why I had to stuff some cardboard (brown) with rubber cement up there after I pulled the thing down.

I'm colorblind.

J/k I see now. I went through that thinking it was a can light housing and I kind of still do, that isn't installed correctly at all. Well I'm certain of the second half anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It is, and I'm also sure it isn't installed correctly, but my skills only extend so far and I think this is, well..

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Here's some unexpected joys of home ownership. Rabbies Vaccines!

I had, what I think (but can't confirm) was a bat swoop down and hit my neck. Could have been a large bug. But because we do have bats around the house and the health department says that there are a number of positive rabbies tests in bats this year... that as a precaution I need to get the vaccine.

And to get the first dose, at least in Wake County NC, you *have* to do it via an ER visit. So in addition to the $300 per shot (4 shots) vaccine I have to incur an ER visit too.

yay. Better than the alternative but yeesh.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Jesus Christ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

God drat man, that's lovely
:psyduck:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BonoMan posted:

I had, what I think (but can't confirm) was a bat swoop down and hit my neck. Could have been a large bug. But because we do have bats around the house and the health department says that there are a number of positive rabbies tests in bats this year... that as a precaution I need to get the vaccine.

And to get the first dose, at least in Wake County NC, you *have* to do it via an ER visit. So in addition to the $300 per shot (4 shots) vaccine I have to incur an ER visit too.

Need a dracula avatar jfc

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also why am I spelling rabies with two Bs? Is that a symptom? (At the ER now)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
How is Rabbies Formed?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BonoMan posted:

High five rabies buddy!

I woke up to my cats loving around with a terrified bat in my bedroom. I grabbed with with a heavy duty welding glove and threw it outside. For anyone who may be in this situation please keep the bat. This happened on a Saturday night, so I had to go to an ER visit on Sunday. Then a followup on Wed, sun again, and sun again. The next three were at a specialized place though. All in 2020! Not the vaccine I was hoping for at the time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

StormDrain posted:

High five rabies buddy!

I woke up to my cats loving around with a terrified bat in my bedroom. I grabbed with with a heavy duty welding glove and threw it outside. For anyone who may be in this situation please keep the bat. This happened on a Saturday night, so I had to go to an ER visit on Sunday. Then a followup on Wed, sun again, and sun again. The next three were at a specialized place though. All in 2020! Not the vaccine I was hoping for at the time.

Hah yeah mine is 3 days after the fact. Within 24 hrs is preferred but within 14 days is acceptable. The fourth kinda screwed me on getting fast info.

And yeah after the ER I can just go to urgent care of the health department.

And second yep to keeping the bat. That's what the health department told me. They need to send them all to state testing if possible. Even dead ones... If it's like a decaying skeleton that's too dead. But recently dead should also get sent to the labs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Goddamn. On the topic of rabbies, I was up on my roof cleaning my cutters and prepping for the tree work we're having done in the next week or two when I noticed a little arm poking up from the wedge of this tree. Then it moved. As I blew the leaves off my roof, I could see him wake up and just continue sleeping/hanging out. He watched me on the roof, then observed my dog beow in the yard.

I've known he goes up there from time to time because the tree is right outside our bedroom window and we've woken up a few times to my dog barking at the window in the middle of the night only to see a raccoon making his way back up. One morning my wife opened the blinds to find two raccoons in the tree staring into our bedroom.

I felt bad but these lombardy poplars are coming down so I need to keep him from coming back before that time. The next day I went up and taped my phone to my pole saw to check and make sure the nest was empty and no baby raccoons were present. It was indeed empty so I tore the nest out hoping the raccoon doesn't return because our arborists have said if there are any animals in the trees, we will need to call pest control before they can proceed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My dad kept a raccoon as a pet one summer. No idea why... I'm glad it didn't have rabies because that thing was a huge aggressive rear end in a top hat that would hide in bookshelves and jump on your back when you walked by.

Also just got word that my remaining 3 shots can be administered at the ER with no extra costs. So that'll be easy

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Possum started hanging out under my deck step. My dog is determined to eat to 2x8s to get to it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Did you get the HRIG too or just the RabAvert?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Did you get the HRIG too or just the RabAvert?

Both! 2 shots in the legs and 1 in the arm.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Hello thread! I received a quote for my home for LeafGuard installation just now for 74' @ 13.00/ft, gutter cleaning, and labor ($350) for $1,412. The company has a 5-star rating on Thumbtack, and the ownership is local. I have two close proximity locust trees that drop beanpod garbage all year and I'm sick of it.

The 5-minutes of research I did suggested that the typical cost for install is usually between $2,200-$4,200, so I feel like this is a great deal to never have to worry about clogged gutters and overflow again. Is it worth getting a competing quote or is this kind of a "just do it idiot" price?

Thank you~

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Both! 2 shots in the legs and 1 in the arm.

That's good, though technically the HRIG should have gone closest to the wound. (And TECHNICALLY technically it's supposed to go IN the wound, which really sucks.) But you got in there pretty fast, you should be fine.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

ex post facho posted:

Hello thread! I received a quote for my home for LeafGuard installation just now for 74' @ 13.00/ft, gutter cleaning, and labor ($350) for $1,412. The company has a 5-star rating on Thumbtack, and the ownership is local. I have two close proximity locust trees that drop beanpod garbage all year and I'm sick of it.

The 5-minutes of research I did suggested that the typical cost for install is usually between $2,200-$4,200, so I feel like this is a great deal to never have to worry about clogged gutters and overflow again. Is it worth getting a competing quote or is this kind of a "just do it idiot" price?

Thank you~

My understanding is that leafguard is a scam because the leaves will just end up sitting on top of the screen and block the rainwater from entering the gutters. In other words you’ll still have clean the gutters to keep them working properly

No personal experience , just what I’ve heard from others

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
They have their uses but are often sold as if you'll never clean again when it's more like you can clean less often, and how much less will depend on the trees and whats getting dumped on you

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's good, though technically the HRIG should have gone closest to the wound. (And TECHNICALLY technically it's supposed to go IN the wound, which really sucks.) But you got in there pretty fast, you should be fine.

Yeah the PA initially said he wasn't going to give it since there was no obvious wound to apply it to but then just said he'd do it IM anyway

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Jenkl posted:

They have their uses but are often sold as if you'll never clean again when it's more like you can clean less often, and how much less will depend on the trees and whats getting dumped on you

hmm ok. thank you both. The trees in question are a combo of two black locusts that drop a ton of beanpods and other yard garbage, plus smaller leaves in the fall, and a silver maple in the back with bigger leaves thats not as big a deal but still contributes.

my calculation is that at 1400 they'll pay themselves off in about 3 years and we're definitely not (planning on) moving in that time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I had, what I think (but can't confirm) was a bat swoop down and hit my neck. Could have been a large bug.

bats are bugs

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I put up leaf guards myself. I bought these things. They weren’t difficult, but I have 4” gutters, so I had to use tinsnips to trim an inch or two off every piece lengthwise.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Lock-in-Gutter-Guard-Black/1000979076

I have lots of tall mature trees and my gutters used to get clogged and stuffed constantly. It’s been 3 years since I’ve had to climb a ladder to clear them out. 5-stars.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
On topic, my mom has a flat rubber roof that’s seen better days. It started leaking in the kitchen yesterday so i went up and patched all the cracks and holes with roofing cement. It needs replacing or even another layer entirely but money is tight at the moment so i was thinking of applying a coat of waterproofing sealer to keep it watertight for a few years until we save enough money for a proper fix.

I’m just not sure which sealer to get. There are a whole bunch of options, ranging from $100/bucket to $400/bucket. Acrylic, polyurethane, silicone, etc. The ones for $100/bucket seem a little too good to be true, so I was leaning towards this one:
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...6471-c-5822.htm

“Stands up to ponding water” sounds enticing, but it might be overkill given that her pitched roof doesn’t have that issue .. would it make more sense to use the same money to buy a few more coats of something like this?

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/roofing/roof-coating/duck-coat-rubberized-roof-coating/h3115/p-4364363666063111-c-5822.htm

Anyone have any recommendations or experiences to share?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eddiewalker posted:

I put up leaf guards myself. I bought these things. They weren’t difficult, but I have 4” gutters, so I had to use tinsnips to trim an inch or two off every piece lengthwise.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Lock-in-Gutter-Guard-Black/1000979076

I have lots of tall mature trees and my gutters used to get clogged and stuffed constantly. It’s been 3 years since I’ve had to climb a ladder to clear them out. 5-stars.

I need some solution like this as well. I live in an alcove of mature trees and I have no joke done about 5 full gutter cleans in a single year. It's exhausting.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Yeah the PA initially said he wasn't going to give it since there was no obvious wound to apply it to but then just said he'd do it IM anyway

Yeah, totally meets standard of care. He knew not to put the HRIG and the vaccine in the same shoulder/thigh, which is something I've seen people do!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I bought the EZ On stainless mesh gutter guards from costco and installed them a year or two ago shortly after we moved in. We get a lot of sticks, pine needles, and leaves on our roof, to the point that our gutters were clogged when we moved in. The gutter guards need an occasional sweep off but thankfully my roof is low and pretty flat so its easy to hop up and clean them off. With an extension pole, they make a brush that you can clean your guards with from the ground.

They work pretty well. The pine needles sometimes stick into the mesh but the gutters themselves stay clear and the debris sits on top.

No gutter system is fully hands off unless you embrace your inner gary and just ignore it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I need some solution like this as well. I live in an alcove of mature trees and I have no joke done about 5 full gutter cleans in a single year. It's exhausting.

We paid to get our leaf guards removed and gutters cleaned and they all clogged again 3 weeks later lol

Gutters are a scam

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

actionjackson posted:

i've also scratched up something convincing myself it had a plastic layer on it when it didn't
The first generation of folding cellphones had that problem. A lot of reviewers carefully peeled off the plastic layer, not realizing it was part of the display.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

We paid to get our leaf guards removed and gutters cleaned and they all clogged again 3 weeks later lol

Gutters are a scam

If you have a situation where trees are just shifting leaves down on your roof I honestly don't think any gutter is going to work without needing cleaning frequently. But I'm a condo guy not a house guy so what do I know.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don’t have pine needles, but I have a variety of deciduous trees dumping leaves, helicopter seeds and sweetgum balls.

Everything I get blows right off the gutter guards. I certainly don’t get the big clumps of wet biomass that used to totally clog my downspouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I get everything. All of it. I have every tree over my loving house. Maple, oak, pine, sweet gums. All of it. My gutter is full of loving everything.