Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember thinking it would be hilarious if Yamato snuck onto the wrong ship and he ended up temporarily crewing with Kidd.... boy that idea aged poorly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Andrew_1985 posted:

Didn’t Sanji get a transfusion from a gay guy in Fishman Island and that was the last of his nosebleed problems?

They weren’t particularly positive towards that character from memory.

It was a pair of twins that he got a transfusion from. The treatment of the pair was not great and was essentially just a continuation of the Kamabakka Kingdom business.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The mildest defense of those really indefensible characters is that only Sanji thinks there's anything wrong with them. It is presented as a completely Sanji specific pathology to have any issue with these people at all.

Of course they're presented in a way where Sanji's revulsion is supposed to be something the audience can understand, and that's just purely lovely, but considering their role in the story and the world it's clear Oda doesn't hate them.

Still, even with the "positive" characters, it's a constant joke that they're unattractive. (With the sole exception of Inazuma.) I had a Mr. 2 avatar for my first decade or so on this site, because Mr. 2 owns, but eventually that aspect- the joke of being absurdly unattractive on the outside, contrast with his beautiful heart- made me uncomfortable enough in the context of actual trans people I know dealing with body image issues that I kind of cooled even on that largely positive depiction.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I remember thinking it would be hilarious if Yamato snuck onto the wrong ship and he ended up temporarily crewing with Kidd.... boy that idea aged poorly!

In that scenario I just see him ditching Kidd for Shanks or bashing Kidd's head in cause I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be down for Kidd's reckless attack either.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

In that scenario I just see him ditching Kidd for Shanks or bashing Kidd's head in cause I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be down for Kidd's reckless attack either.

in that scenario Yamato would be able to tell that Shanks is merely 97% as powerful as Kaido's base power, and that with the full moon his zoan powers would outrank Shanks, however if you were to put Mihawk in the mix, who we know is the strongest swordsman, then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The numbers don't lie, Shanks, and they spell disaster for you at Laugh Tale

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eiba posted:

Still, even with the "positive" characters, it's a constant joke that they're unattractive. (With the sole exception of Inazuma.) I had a Mr. 2 avatar for my first decade or so on this site, because Mr. 2 owns, but eventually that aspect- the joke of being absurdly unattractive on the outside, contrast with his beautiful heart- made me uncomfortable enough in the context of actual trans people I know dealing with body image issues that I kind of cooled even on that largely positive depiction.

I guess it’s subjective and all but Bon Clay doesn’t feel like a mean spirited depiction of trans/nonbinary people the way the generic background okama do. He just looks like a guy who would fit in alongside most other significant named characters like Lucci, Enel, Moria and Mihawk. I don’t he’s supposed to be read as specifically a trans women as opposed to just queer/nonbinary though, because he has his whole cool hero speech at the end of Alabasta where he says he has the heart of both at times.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

He is kinda... iffy.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Interesting note that even in the middle of Kamabakka Kingdom's utter bullshit and harmful stereotypes about "the predatory gays", Sanji refused to attack his pursuers because he considered them women.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I guess it’s subjective and all but Bon Clay doesn’t feel like a mean spirited depiction of trans/nonbinary people the way the generic background okama do. He just looks like a guy who would fit in alongside most other significant named characters like Lucci, Enel, Moria and Mihawk. I don’t he’s supposed to be read as specifically a trans women as opposed to just queer/nonbinary though, because he has his whole cool hero speech at the end of Alabasta where he says he has the heart of both at times.
You're right. He's a lot more positive, and he's definitely not mean spirited. He's one of the coolest most heroic characters in the whole manga.

But Bon Clay is ugly as a joke. I think he's awesome. I think he looks awesome. But there's a very early gag with him where he puts together the ugliest face in the world, and he puts together his own features with Usopp's nose. Oda was trying to draw someone ugly when he drew Mr 2.

Oda was ultimately making a point about how an absurdly "ugly" person had an absurdly beautiful soul, but that contrast was part of the joke. Not the most defining part like the background okama later in the story, but definitely a part of it.

"A man who wants to be more feminine ends up an ugly parody of femininity" is... kind of core to his character design. There's a lot to mitigate that- he's happy with himself, he's a good person, he's representative of a certain kind of person, a positive representation of someone who doesn't "pass" and kind of revels in the am-bi-gui-i-ty, and all that. I really like Mr 2. A lot. One of my favorite characters in all of fiction.

But it is a joke that he's ugly. Once I actually liked that joke, to be honest. I appreciate "ugly" characters who aren't idealized in a medium where everything could easily be idealized. He's way more interesting the way he is. But I know trans people- trans women, and nonbinary trans people- who have serious issues with body image. So that joke lands differently for me now.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Eiba posted:

[...] So that joke lands differently for me now.

At least there's some very conventionally attractive trans representation in one piece now too, like Yamato, Kiku and Sir Crocodile

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The numbers don't lie, Shanks, and they spell disaster for you at Laugh Tale

I love this joke in all it's permutations. I'll still watch the original and be utterly fascinated it even happened in the first place. :allears:

Craptain Mid wasn't enough of a GENETIC FREAK apparently.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Gyges posted:

Change it back, doc, change it back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjCxyruU8NI

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In a series with a wider variety of trans narratives Bon Clay would be fine. In a series where our primary exposure to queer folk is constantly "hideously ugly but good at heart" Bon Clay is simply the most well written instance of a cruel theme

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eiba posted:

The mildest defense of those really indefensible characters is that only Sanji thinks there's anything wrong with them. It is presented as a completely Sanji specific pathology to have any issue with these people at all.

Of course they're presented in a way where Sanji's revulsion is supposed to be something the audience can understand, and that's just purely lovely, but considering their role in the story and the world it's clear Oda doesn't hate them.

Even if it was played this way, where they look normal to everyone else, that'd make Sanji a homophobe and... yeah there's no way to be kind to that arc, it just straight up sucks, I wish Oda didn't do it, and I don't think it's defensible in any way.

Did Oda ever acknowledge, comment on it, or apologise in any way?

Yamato & Kikunojo being great characters at the very least means he's learnt not to do that poo poo again

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Not that the Kamabakka stuff was great, but I thought that it was based on a specific Japanese drag scene/performer that Oda liked. Or at least I read that somewhere before.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Deki posted:

Not that the Kamabakka stuff was great, but I thought that it was based on a specific Japanese drag scene/performer that Oda liked. Or at least I read that somewhere before.

Ivankov specifically is based off an actual queer person he met through Luffy’s voice actor, who actually voiced him for a while in the show after nailing the audition that Oda insisted he do. He then got recasted after being arrested for more or less bullshit, but the first part’s pretty neat!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There is, of course, a lot of Frank N. Furter there as well, which is probably why the official translation writes him like Tim Curry doing a bad German accent.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

He then got recasted after being arrested for more or less bullshit, but the first part’s pretty neat!

Lost role due to *checks notes* indecent photos of him showing off his tattoos.

You forget how regressive Japan is about a lot of things.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do think the okama stuff comes off as worse to a foreign audience who doesn't recognise the subculture that's being depicted (actually in a pretty positive light most of the time). There are definitely jokes that play into offensive stereotypes though, particularly the whole Sanji timeskip story.

Infinitum posted:

Has he ever apologised for anything?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In the WSJ author comments in October 2020, Oda wrote

because he had to take a break cause he was sick

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the original ivankov voice was so much better. the replacement just sounds like he's short of breath.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
is this poo poo almost back i wnat to learn more about imu

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

tbp posted:

One more week before leaks. Official chapter will drop on the 17th or the 18th, speedscans a bit earlier like the 12th. It's a matter of days rather than weeks now. We're almost there.

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 6, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

I'm not convinced that we're going to. Sabo is running away during the retelling. we still have Garp & Rescue crew, Bonney & Kuma backstory and Saturn heading to Egghead

I think we have the jist of what happened at Reverie and will move on

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Infinitum posted:

yeah he did the level 3 apology from the like a dragon business sim

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah this seems like a logical time to return to Egghead.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think it’s worth acknowledging that there is a difference between being a drag queen and being a trans woman, and I think it’s reasonable to assume that Kamabakka Kingdom is supposed to be a (still not great) portrayal of the former but not necessarily the latter. If anything, the examples we have of explicitly trans people in One Piece are generally positive, I think?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bleck posted:

I think it’s worth acknowledging that there is a difference between being a drag queen and being a trans woman, and I think it’s reasonable to assume that Kamabakka Kingdom is supposed to be a (still not great) portrayal of the former but not necessarily the latter. If anything, the examples we have of explicitly trans people in One Piece are generally positive, I think?

Considering Ivankov transitions people with their fruit, and those people are always hot girls or boys, I figured it was all but stated that anyone with a 5 o'clock shadow and a dress was just big into drag/dressing in women's clothing. It's not like Japan is unfamiliar with the concept of femboys.

It's hard to separate that long stretch of absolute terrible Sanji's reactions and how normal people react. We just don't have very many people other than Mr. Sexual Harassment Nosebleed to serve as data points for how society reacts to them. Like, outside Sanji I think the only actual group of people interacting with that "type" was in Impel Down. A place where half the guards are explicitly deep into kinks, and 90% of everyone else is an irredeemable monster well deserving of being locked away in the deepest pit.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think the Bon Clay ugly-on-the-outside (BECAUSE HES A TRANS/DRAGQUEEN HO HO HO) joke is progressive for its time and country, but very much not great today. I think it's the same as rampant sexism in 80's manga, and blatant nose-bone racism in otherwise excellent children's books from the 50's. (E.g. Pippi Longstocking's sailor dad being a 'friend of the family king' (yes that really is what is written in the books) in a faraway country). It's just how the times were and people know better today, and the best you can do is consider it an educational moment and a measure of societal progression. It's fine to point out how gross they are but also just accept it as the history of the world.

Oda is handling these issues muuuuch better today, I mean compare Bon Clay, a fantastic and heroic character with problematic presentation, to Mr. Pink and Yamato, both fantastic and heroic characters but with loving perfect presentations. I feel you can clearly tell his heart has always been in the right place and he has been learning and improving with the times.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 6, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I can accept the impel down queer characters as being "of their time and place" but the squad of near identical 11 ft. Tall hairy berserkers that existed to flirt with Sanji and get transhobia'd at were of no time or place

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

oda was bad with trans issues before but he's gotten significantly better over the last few years esp as he's stopped doing the joke that's been discussed over the last few pages really

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i have a little pet theory that i'm not sure why i think, but it feels right to think about: i think imu is "dreaming" the one piece world in some sense. this si why they command such utter devotion from the power structure which exists, and ties into bb's line about a "man's dream never dying". i think they're functioning as some sort of lynchpin for the world itself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

the will of d

ream

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tbp posted:

i have a little pet theory that i'm not sure why i think, but it feels right to think about : i think imu is "dreaming" the one piece world in some sense. this si why they command such utter devotion from the power structure which exists, and ties into bb's line about a "man's dream never dying". i think they're functioning as some sort of lynchpin for the world itself

Discord friend was talking about something similar in that line of thought...

Link's Awakening was released 4 years before OP btw.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

tbp posted:

i have a little pet theory that i'm not sure why i think, but it feels right to think about : i think imu is "dreaming" the one piece world in some sense. this si why they command such utter devotion from the power structure which exists, and ties into bb's line about a "man's dream never dying". i think they're functioning as some sort of lynchpin for the world itself

Plutonis posted:

quote:

DREAMIN'

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
His name is Link he's just like a Samurai
L-A-D-Y, Zelda's not shy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

The Pirate Rap way the key all along.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Couldn't see if anyone posted this yet but the One Piece youtube channel put this out for the new volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sb4wxbHh-4

Love the custom song they made just for Vegapunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Plutonis posted:

huh, neat, i never made that connection