Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I do like MMA's angle of having him suck at every other part of fighting but grappling, but still sticking with mixed martial arts as a discipline. There's nothing I dislike so far.

Do Retry definitely isn't going to be about boxing form or learning how to actually fight. I can't tell if I like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm stupid and I skimmed some of the comedy chapters that aren't doing it for me, who is this girl who betrayed everyone in Witch Watch?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

she’s a pretty minor character from their high school that you’d miss if you’re skimming the joke chapters, iirc her speaking debut was in a chapter where they imbued a bread man with sentience to find out if a boy liked her back

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Mashle stuck the ending, and that's the most we can ask for any story. The Mash in a coma part may have went a biiiiiit too long, but the eventual pay off of Jesus just going "Yeah I gave him power as a joke" was worth it. I will look back on it fondly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That being said, I look forward to the sequel series; Ultimate Mashle. :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Blue box gave us pervy chii this week and I couldn't be happier.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

It was the first time I found Blue Box cute in a long time, especially given Chii is actually the least perverted 17 year old to have walked this earth outside of sex-repulsed ace teens.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like the ending of Mashle. It could have been long running like One Punch Man, though I like that it ends as it is.

Brought To You By posted:

Goosebump Girlfriend: I love the seesaw of yandere we got here.

The mangaka is great at running a tight line between wholesome and toxic.

Kingtheninja posted:

I can appreciate a romance that is depicted more realistically than others.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess Do Retry is also probably a sports manga?

I know its about boxing but not sure the sports vibes were there in the few chapters I read

What else was Do Retry going to be? A biopic in postwar Japan?

SpacePig posted:

Do Retry definitely isn't going to be about boxing form or learning how to actually fight. I can't tell if I like it or not.

Do Retry, so far, seems to be like Kuroko's Basketball, Prince of Tennis, March Comes In like a Lion, etc., where the sport or game in question is more used as a setting for a story rather than as a story about the sport or game.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flair posted:

What else was Do Retry going to be? A biopic in postwar Japan?

It is kind of weird that it doesn't make much use of its setting except as an excuse for tragic backstories.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Do Retry's use of postwar Japan is gonna come into play later when the main character's tenacity let's him Do Retry of the pacific theater and turn the tide on America.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hajime no Ippo already did that! :v:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Marriage Toxin: New girl certainly knows how to make an entrance.

“So you’re the ones driving for us?”
-“With what car?!”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Incredible chapter of MarriageToxin

:stwoon:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: new girl already looks like a cool disaster and Kinosaki is also turning up the...uh assertiveness?:stare:

Also that whole "don't have much time left" sure doesn't sound ominous at all!

EDIT: Yeah, was thinking about the exact same panel. :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Misread that as Magilumare. Frankly, given what happened (and that 4 week haitus, woof) it's still apropos.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Marriagetoxin:New girls's bombastic entrance aside. At first I thought that Sensei had clenched his jaws in anger so hard a tooth popped through his skin from the outside. Him not having any skin whatsoever is actually worse.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kinosaki is so clearly the best choice it's not even close

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RuBisCO posted:

:hmmyes:

Especially after that panel, my goodness.

Also, sister's partner was cute and I'm glad they actually acted like a couple

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Been obvious from the beginning.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is an advanced kabedon technique only usable by elite kabedon practitioners.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

:hmmyes:

Especially after that panel, my goodness.

Also, sister's partner was cute and I'm glad they actually acted like a couple

I rather love how Marriagetoxin uses this relationship. It’s completely normal and quite healthy.
Also, I guess Hikaru is about to show how good he is with kids.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mashle delightful to the end, good series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Checking in on the rankings:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/14rm4ss/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_30_june_26_2023/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/14rmk8g/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_31_july_3_2023/

It looks like Cipher Academy is safe for now. Fabricant 100 might be in trouble, but maybe not; the editors might feel that Jump has had enough lineup changes lately that they'll wait a bit before another cancellation. And there's a new bottom-place series (Do Retry).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/14rm4ss/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_30_june_26_2023/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/14rmk8g/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_31_july_3_2023/

It looks like Cipher Academy is safe for now. Fabricant 100 might be in trouble, but maybe not; the editors might feel that Jump has had enough lineup changes lately that they'll wait a bit before another cancellation. And there's a new bottom-place series (Do Retry).

I’m still amazed that Fabricant is still trucking and received color pages. Not that I’m complaining I like it a lot.

Something I don’t like: Kaiju nr 8 can’t write fights at all.

Thinking about undead unluck and how much I like the new game + that’s going on. I wonder if Shen will get untruth this time. Somehow I expect Mui to get it now.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Darth TNT posted:

Something I don’t like: Kaiju nr 8 can’t write fights at all.

Kaiju no. 8 is so frustrating because the early stuff with Kafka was pretty solid and then the series proceeded to introduce like a dozen characters and he hasn't gotten like any focus in what feels like years. And the last year has been nothing but fights with aforementioned dozen characters. The bi-weekly pacing also makes this brutal.

How hard is it to just have cool guy punch things occasionally, drat. Twin-tail axe girl can stay too, but dump everyone else.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Kafka revealing his identity as Monster 8 and getting captured by the wider defense organisation was a pretty brave attempt to shake up the status quo, but unfortunately it didn't pan out. The quality pretty much nosedived after that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Y'all SAY that about Kaiju No.8, but seeing the shonen corps work out their family/identity issues via chopping up kaiju takes two spoons for me to scoop it all down every other week.

Tastes good!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'll agree that I didn't much care about the super-eyes dude who got to surpass the general even though he had much less emotional connection to him from our POV compared to everybody else....

But I actually like Hoshino and Kikoru, and it's nice to see them go past their trauma/issues. It's admittedly a lot more stock than it was but to be fair, a huge chunk of the "pacing" issues come down to the release schedule, and I'm ultimately glad the author is (probably) not working himself to death.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silver2195 posted:

Ichinose Family being in the middle makes me wonder what the hell is going on with it now. Everything feels like it's heading towards a conclusion but now I'm expecting another swerve

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Thinking about undead unluck and how much I like the new game + that’s going on. I wonder if Shen will get untruth this time. Somehow I expect Mui to get it now.

The NG+ speed run is pretty cool but it also makes unjustice look like kind of an idiot for failing 99 times in a row.

I do realise that the game is kind of rigged so the best artifacts only spawn the last couple of cycles. But unluck is doing much better on her first try than unjustice did after nearly a hundred do-overs. And previously unjustice seemed like one of the more competent characters (hence her consistently being first seat.)

And it’s not like unluck is a particularly useful ability for recruiting allies. Hell her new found martial arts skills have a better record for recruiting people than her ability does.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Fabricant was apparently nominated for some manga awards recently; the winners will be announced at the end of August and based on historical precedent even series that otherwise ended up axed seemed to at least make it till the results were announced. Cipher Academy also got a promotional Twitter account recently so it's unlikely to be going anywhere. Both have pretty miserable sales and F100 especially has had some bad rankings for a while now (and Cipher's are only somewhat better, but very inconsistent) so it's likely only a matter of time but for now Jump's editors seem likely to axe some of the newer series first.

Meanwhile Kill Blue and Nue's Exorcist look like they'll both manage to survive, they're doing pretty well in the rankings. Do Retry and Tenmaku Cinema are dead in the water, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elite posted:

The NG+ speed run is pretty cool but it also makes unjustice look like kind of an idiot for failing 99 times in a row.

I do realise that the game is kind of rigged so the best artifacts only spawn the last couple of cycles. But unluck is doing much better on her first try than unjustice did after nearly a hundred do-overs. And previously unjustice seemed like one of the more competent characters (hence her consistently being first seat.)

And it’s not like unluck is a particularly useful ability for recruiting allies. Hell her new found martial arts skills have a better record for recruiting people than her ability does.

She has a lot of information gathered by in previous runs . Beyond that her Unluck does case things to go different which is why she was chosen to go back in the first place. IIRC they even said Unluck just hadn't shown up before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unluck fucks with causality by its very nature. it is definitely a power with limits, but it's still better for changing up a time loop than any of the alternatives.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elite posted:

I don’t really feel like she looks like an idiot at all. She tried 99 times, missed one god slayer artifact that’s only going to spawn this cycle and basically gave Fuulo the Rulebook to create the organization.

RuBisCO posted:

Kaiju no. 8 is so frustrating because the early stuff with Kafka was pretty solid and then the series proceeded to introduce like a dozen characters and he hasn't gotten like any focus in what feels like years. And the last year has been nothing but fights with aforementioned dozen characters. The bi-weekly pacing also makes this brutal.

How hard is it to just have cool guy punch things occasionally, drat. Twin-tail axe girl can stay too, but dump everyone else.

I don’t even hate the characters. Eyes guy was a pretty cool design. But we now have 3 fights in a row that boil down to: virtually unknown character gets the perfect counter opponent, but he wins after flash ack and slicing just a little harder. And :shrug: And I think there’s another fight going on, so get ready for the next round.
It’s okay to suddenly have side chats get the spotlight, but at least make it look good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Elite posted:

I think Fuuko is also a more compassionate character than Juiz was. She always seemed very focused on the "business" side of things; she was focused on winning and justice and all that, and only seemed to really care emotionally about Andy. Fuuko meanwhile seems to genuinely care for everybody and tries hard to empathize with them and see things from their perspectives to try and help them avoid trauma, which winds up being the solution. That's kind of a running theme of the series - everyone else is so focused on winning that they often miss the much simpler route of empathy. It's no coincidence that Fuuko's Unluck triggers when she cares for someone, considering that negator abilities are tailor-made to gently caress with their owner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RuBisCO posted:

Mina and Bakko are cool and the image of her using him as a literal support animal for her gun was what drew me to the series and I... think she's still fighting? It's been a while since I checked in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A Rurouni Kenshin reboot anime apparently just started today (though I know the franchise kind of has a black mark on it now thanks to its creator being a creep)

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t really feel like she looks like an idiot at all. She tried 99 times, missed one god slayer artifact that’s only going to spawn this cycle and basically gave Fuulo the Rulebook to create the organization.

Unjustice was trying hard on the 99th cycle saying that she had finally assembled a good team and they had a chance. Except the Union didn’t really feel that strong, it felt like Uncover was actually stronger if you discount undead + unluck (and it also felt like Uncover was largely thrown together outside of the core ~3). And Unjustice’s rules meant that Unavoid and Unchange died kind of pointlessly in order to give their seats to Undead+Unluck when Unchange and Unavoid were some of the Union’s strongest members. Even when they’re limited to 12 seats for missions they could’ve still had some sideliners around (which is what Fuuko does and seems to work much better).

And Fuuko has been averting everyone’s tragedies first try, where Unjustice doesn’t seem to have even tried. Some of them sure Unjustice didn’t have enough information to do much, but for say Unsleep / Unforgettable not being able to help them seems kind of dumb when they’re central members of her organisation and presumably have been across multiple cycles. And Unforgettable is one of the major reasons why cycle 99 suddenly went to poo poo.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Elite posted:

Unjustice was trying hard on the 99th cycle saying that she had finally assembled a good team and they had a chance. Except the Union didn’t really feel that strong, it felt like Uncover was actually stronger if you discount undead + unluck (and it also felt like Uncover was largely thrown together outside of the core ~3). And Unjustice’s rules meant that Unavoid and Unchange died kind of pointlessly in order to give their seats to Undead+Unluck when Unchange and Unavoid were some of the Union’s strongest members. Even when they’re limited to 12 seats for missions they could’ve still had some sideliners around (which is what Fuuko does and seems to work much better).

And Fuuko has been averting everyone’s tragedies first try, where Unjustice doesn’t seem to have even tried. Some of them sure Unjustice didn’t have enough information to do much, but for say Unsleep / Unforgettable not being able to help them seems kind of dumb when they’re central members of her organisation and presumably have been across multiple cycles. And Unforgettable is one of the major reasons why cycle 99 suddenly went to poo poo.

Fuuko does benefit from experience whereas after a certain amount of time I could imagine Unjustice just kind of becoming resigned to fate.

Fuuko is literally going balls to the wall speed run all glitch 100% completion. Godspeed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the idea is that Juiz was stuck in her own head trying the same things over and over again and Fuuko is shaking things up by trying something new.