Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
The Winter of Our Discontent: exceptional. I've only read of mice and men and grapes of wrath, so I'm not a major Steinbeck head, but this is probably my breakaway favorite. There may have been no other writer as dialed in on the American experience than him and it's a pretty good failson narrative to boot.

The Genesis Machine: Bad. I got really interested in reading about cloning and genetic science so I got this with another I haven't read yet. Amy Webb (the primary author) sells the future of genetic science with the same zeal as a person trying to get their friends into a mlm scheme. Spends a lot of time explaining the origins of mass-produced insulin to launch how exciting it'll be to only eat synthetic meat or rewrite genetic abnormalities. without anything written on the 'progress' actually happening. Feels like reading something from a website called DailyScienceNerd but 200 pages long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Finished Feet of Clay and started Jingo. Discworld books make for perfect vacation reading

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

herculon posted:

Finished Feet of Clay and started Jingo. Discworld books make for perfect vacation reading

Lol I think I read those specific ones on vacation years ago as well. Discworld ftw

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

herculon posted:

hell yeah. i just finished going postal and i'm starting thud!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Frank posted:

The Winter of Our Discontent: exceptional. I've only read of mice and men and grapes of wrath, so I'm not a major Steinbeck head, but this is probably my breakaway favorite. There may have been no other writer as dialed in on the American experience than him and it's a pretty good failson narrative to boot.

East of Eden is epic, haven’t read it for a long time but it had me completely hooked. Tortilla Flat + Cannery Row are both short, hilarious and very underrated imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

going postals really good, thuds good too but it's really dark nd not as funny. you can tell thats the one he was diagnosed while he was writing it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Never read East of Eden but the film is pretty win from what I remember.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

East of Eden owns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

east of eden is incredible, steinbeck ftw. i should read grapes of wrath again now that i'm not in high school lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

east of eden is incredible, steinbeck ftw. i should read grapes of wrath again now that i'm not in high school lol

I read it for the first time last year and it owns.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

especially all the interstitial chapters where perspectives shift to roadside turtles or a tractor or the dry wind.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Going Postal is a great one. I’m reading the city watch books in order so I’ll get to Thud! eventually

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

begging all steinbeck imps to read tortilla flat and cannery row if they haven't already

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

especially all the interstitial chapters where perspectives shift to roadside turtles or a tractor or the dry wind.

Chill.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I"m finally on vacay and my first order of business is to find a bookstore and get some new books, and hell, they'll probably be discworld.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

East of Eden is epic, haven’t read it for a long time but it had me completely hooked. Tortilla Flat + Cannery Row are both short, hilarious and very underrated imo

yeah I'm definitely going to start working through the rest of his novels now. thank you for the recommends

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Enies Lobby is so loving sick, soypointing like hell at Gear 2

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gear 2 is so insanely fuckin epic!!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

Enies Lobby is so loving sick, soypointing like hell at Gear 2

Countdown to this motherfucker crying lol

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Fungah! posted:

going postals really good, thuds good too but it's really dark nd not as funny. you can tell thats the one he was diagnosed while he was writing it

it’s darker but thud introduces Sally and the Sally and Angua storyline is the best

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this flashback is slowly making a pit form in my stomach

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

this flashback is slowly making a pit form in my stomach

jesus christ

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tyhats right

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

you were right and gently caress you but also holy poo poo Declaration of War might be one of the most powerful manga chapters of all time

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

you were right and gently caress you but also holy poo poo Declaration of War might be one of the most powerful manga chapters of all time

its loving amazing. it just keeps going dude one piece loving rules so much. im getting second hand hype just knowing somebody is reading it for the first time lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

also the thing about "timshel" in east of eden just strikes me out of nowhere like once or twice a year ever since i read it. great loving book

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

bother you're not even close to done yet lol. the spread from that chap is one of the best of all time + luffy showing his godlike instinct for helping his friends. him handling nami and robin completely differently but still doing exactly what they need to get the help they deserve is what puts him in goat status in the list of shonen protagonists.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

declaration of war rules so hard

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

feel sick from spending $200 on a giant frank frazetta artbook lol but it HAD to be done. would be an idiot to not have it :redass:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

feel sick from spending $200 on a giant frank frazetta artbook lol but it HAD to be done. would be an idiot to not have it :redass:

how giant is it

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

how giant is it

470 pages, 12x16. if his art doesnt put some hair on my chest, lifting the book itself will

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

HolePisser1982 posted:

Hell yeah

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My wife had never seen/read Romeo and Juliet so I showed her the baz Luhrmann one with subtitles and it was a loving trip seeing someone on the edge of their seat like Romeo might not drink the poison.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My wife had never seen/read Romeo and Juliet so I showed her the baz Luhrmann one with subtitles and it was a loving trip seeing someone on the edge of their seat like Romeo might not drink the poison.

lol. reminds me of this post which i still think about from time to time

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Watching Seinfeld with my wife recently. She's never seen an American sitcom in her life and she claps and busts her gut laughing at things like George dropping the eponymous statue as if the bounds of comedy she knows have been torn down and destroyed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seinfeld ftw.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

Lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

mycophobia posted:

Lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

lmao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU