Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mycophobia posted:

lol. reminds me of this post which i still think about from time to time

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What does she think of the jacket.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
read the chapter in the castle where K speaks to the chairman about why he's not allowed in and I had to read out loud quietly too keep up lol. put my brain in knots, love it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Researching Little Miss Sunshine, one of those films I watch every couple of years. Good stuff

Edit: rewatching. I don't need to research a very straightforward film I've seen four times

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 8, 2023

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nutmeg posted:

read the chapter in the castle where K speaks to the chairman about why he's not allowed in and I had to read out loud quietly too keep up lol. put my brain in knots, love it

The Trial was tight btw. Blows 1984, Brazil, 1984 (1984) starring John Hurt and the hot chick, etc out of the water IMO.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I should read more kafka

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

What does she think of the jacket.

She can’t remember it because we’ve been watching it for almost 2 years. Season 7 now. The wedding invitations are gonna gently caress her up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

casting dio as toji zenin FTW FTW this season is going to own. mappa owns

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

finished Shadow and Claw last night. book owns, thanks for the rec imps. gonna pick up the second half soon. Severian is a charming dork and it makes me laugh how he falls in love with every woman he meets

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

finished Shadow and Claw last night. book owns, thanks for the rec imps. gonna pick up the second half soon. Severian is a charming dork and it makes me laugh how he falls in love with every woman he meets

it's super funny how he goes from, "i am a humble torturer apprentice who knows not the ways of love" to "yeah this chick wanted to gently caress me instantly" over the course of the narrative, it's probably what hanging out with bill clinton is like. especially knowing what happens with the albazo ceremony in book 2, which is the biggest part of why i'm obsesssed with the book. throwing 'btw my first love exists within me' is absolutely insane and throws how severian described himself before that into question AND makes his weird hangups about women even harder to pin down, especially his treatment of jolenta. we learn she's not so sweet when severian describes her going into the jail to torment the captives so how much of severians misogyny is his and how much is it theclas? pinning down who he was and who she was and who was created by the unholy communion is why i'll be rereading this until i die

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the new wes anderson movie is probably gonna turn people off of him for good lol. I liked it but even I think it was annoying on purpose

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martman posted:

the new wes anderson movie is probably gonna turn people off of him for good lol. I liked it but even I think it was annoying on purpose

i disagree tbh, it just felt like Anderson cranking himself up a notch for people who already like his style. i went out and saw it a second time today since my old man was interested in it and i really appreciated being able to look at stuff like themes he's touched on before and the cinematography since i wasn't rlly focused on trying to understand anything beyond the plot during the first time, and i ended up liking it even more after that

to that end, what's some good Anderson to dive into? already seen Asteroid, Tenenbaums and Mr. Fox

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

symbolic posted:

i disagree tbh, it just felt like Anderson cranking himself up a notch for people who already like his style. i went out and saw it a second time today since my old man was interested in it and i really appreciated being able to look at stuff like themes he's touched on before and the cinematography since i wasn't rlly focused on trying to understand anything beyond the plot during the first time, and i ended up liking it even more after that

to that end, what's some good Anderson to dive into? already seen Asteroid, Tenenbaums and Mr. Fox

rushmore and grand budapest hotel are both great. and bottle rocket is good too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

rushmore and grand budapest hotel are both great. and bottle rocket is good too

Life Aquatic!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rushmore & grand budapest are my faves. Moonrise kingdom is chill as well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Grand Budapest Hotel is the last one of his that I’ve seen. They’re all good

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Life Aquatic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbtAYUgJGA&t=13s

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

by annoying I'm thinking about all the ways the movie is kinda teasing the audience on purpose. like how there's a roadrunner running around the whole movie but there's no coyote because it got hit by the schoolbus before the movie started lol. Or how Jeff Goldblum plays the alien but the alien doesn't speak. Kinda feels like a huge aspect of the movie is setting up "obvious" movie situations but then leaving something crucial out

I really did like it and I also want to rewatch it, but I went with a friend who got super pissed at it and heard other people sounding pretty annoyed by it afterwards

e: I'd say Rushmore and Life Aquatic would be my next two recommendations

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 9, 2023

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

I dont like all of his stuff, but Life aquatic and grand budapest are great movies.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ty for the recs all, gonna check out either Budapest or Aquatic tomorrow when i'm sober :cheerdoge:

Martman posted:

by annoying I'm thinking about all the ways the movie is kinda teasing the audience on purpose. like how there's a roadrunner running around the whole movie but there's no coyote because it got hit by the schoolbus before the movie started lol. Or how Jeff Goldblum plays the alien but the alien doesn't speak. Kinda feels like a huge aspect of the movie is setting up "obvious" movie situations but then leaving something crucial out

I really did like it and I also want to rewatch it, but I went with a friend who got super pissed at it and heard other people sounding pretty annoyed by it afterwards

tbh i didn't really take those into account until you just mentioned them but they kinda the overarching theme of the movie innit, that trying to chase closure or meaning is ultimately futile, and as long as you act your part the best you can, that's enough? that's what i interpreted the "you can't wake up if you don't fall asleep" scene about, a somewhat of a rebellion against that mentality...i get where you're coming from now about being intentionally annoyed but i don't think it's a movie that needs total closure as much as it's an experience that begins and ends when it wants to

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

ty for the recs all, gonna check out either Budapest or Aquatic tomorrow when i'm sober :cheerdoge:

tbh i didn't really take those into account until you just mentioned them but they kinda the overarching theme of the movie innit, that trying to chase closure or meaning is ultimately futile, and as long as you act your part the best you can, that's enough? that's what i interpreted the "you can't wake up if you don't fall asleep" scene about, a somewhat of a rebellion against that mentality...i get where you're coming from now about being intentionally annoyed but i don't think it's a movie that needs total closure as much as it's an experience that begins and ends when it wants to
yeah exactly! maybe frustration is more what I mean, I think the movie is literally about letting go of frustration but as a result it's gonna frustrate a lot of people

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martman posted:

yeah exactly! maybe frustration is more what I mean, I think the movie is literally about letting go of frustration but as a result it's gonna frustrate a lot of people

theyre normies and they shan't be heeded

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i should add that after the movie i asked my dad how he felt about it since he loves more action-driven, blockbuster stuff and he told me "there were pretty colors and a roadrunner...wonder if i can get a refund?"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

i should add that after the movie i asked my dad how he felt about it since he loves more action-driven, blockbuster stuff and he told me "there were pretty colors and a roadrunner...wonder if i can get a refund?"
lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

symbolic posted:

moonrise kingdom

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I liked Fantastic Mr Fox but I thought Budapest was insufferable twee bollocks. I watched it at an extremely low point though so maybe I was unfair on it lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I liked Fantastic Mr Fox but I thought Budapest was insufferable twee bollocks. I watched it at an extremely low point though so maybe I was unfair on it lol

You are. Gbh top tier

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

budapest is godly man

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

oddium posted:

moonrise kingdom

This.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

budapest is godly man

This

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

symbolic posted:

asteroid gets home release this week and im looking forward to that rewatch

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Watched top gun: maverick for the first time last night. What a movie. Kind of tempted to watch it again tonight. got me extremely hoype to see the new summer blockbuster, Mission Impossible 7 - Dead Reckoning: Part One.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They’re all kinda insufferably twee imo, but sometimes it clicks. I liked Budapest but when I tried to watch Mr. Fox the other night I ended up turning it off after like 10 minutes, could not handle it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oztVG-gsbaE

watch this video of george clooney acting out fox scenes its so good

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oztVG-gsbaE

watch this video of george clooney acting out fox scenes its so good

lol cool

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mbt posted:

You are. Gbh top tier

Yeah Budapest feels like the culmination of everything he’s done before.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Life Aquatic is perhaps my favorite movie. Or I should say, I could watch it over and over like Groundhog day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did no one like isle of dogs