Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i sorta wonder if it's a story being told to someone, maybe like a kid for a bedtime story, and that's why history echoes to the extent that it does (noland, roger, luffy, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If someone read One Piece to their kids as a bedtime story, it would take them years even if they did a chapter a night.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Mraagvpeine posted:

If someone read One Piece to their kids as a bedtime story, it would take them years even if they did a chapter a night.

A chapter every single night without skipping one would take about 3 years

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's the plot of One Thousand and One Nights isn't it.

Some dude starts marrying a woman and killing her the very next day until he marries a woman who tells him a story each night and leaves the stories on cliffhangers so he's convinced to leave her alive another day.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

huh, neat, i never made that connection

whales are a really common form of symbolism and theres the windfish too. lot of drawing from ff4 which also had a whaleship.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

whales are a really common form of symbolism and theres the windfish too. lot of drawing from ff4 which also had a whaleship.
do whales normally hatch from polkadot eggs

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Nihilarian posted:

do whales normally hatch from polkadot eggs

It is extremely hard to study whale eggs, but they do exist. Not outside the whale, generally. It's certainly very rare to find them on mountaintops, though.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Desumaytah posted:

It is extremely hard to study whale eggs,

I actually thought "huh, that makes sense" for about 1.25 seconds

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Desumaytah posted:

It is extremely hard to study whale eggs, but they do exist.

but they're so big :confused:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Link's Awakening was released 4 years before OP btw.
Inclined to believe this because the first time I played through Dragon Quest V I discovered Oda had blatantly borrowed a whole bunch of stuff from that game too

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Since the ending was thought up 30 years ago, the One Piece is a trove of "advanced" tech from the moon people. Woah! this small device only has 4 buttons and a d-pad, but it's really durable! And Gin's back, in pog form!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A fun reminder that it's been 25 years since Gin showed up in the manga, meaning there are people that have been born and grown up to have children who themselves could start reading One Piece since he stopped being relevant.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If he's not relevant, why'd you bring him up?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

All this Gin talk gonna give me a drinking problem

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

All this Gin talk gonna give me a drinking problem

Agreed there’s been too much gin talk and not enough gin action.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Why was he called Gin anyway when Don Krieg was the one who spiked the punch

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That's the plot of One Thousand and One Nights isn't it.

Some dude starts marrying a woman and killing her the very next day until he marries a woman who tells him a story each night and leaves the stories on cliffhangers so he's convinced to leave her alive another day.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

My lord, tis a break week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/eIzawalkers/status/1677004380241788932

Katakuri's soul mate ~*

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bilibin Oda is that you?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It's funny that they share the whole hosed up mouth thing but have direct opposite views on their siblings.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

tbp posted:

i sorta wonder if it's a story being told to someone, maybe like a kid for a bedtime story, and that's why history echoes to the extent that it does (noland, roger, luffy, etc)

Narration-wise, the overarching story of One Piece is definitely being told some time after its events have occurred. That's how the narrator is able to foreshadow stuff like the Egghead Incident, or talk about how Momonosuke would eventually become known as the greatest leader of Wano on the day of his coronation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A Laugh Tale....

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Inadequately posted:

Narration-wise, the overarching story of One Piece is definitely being told some time after its events have occurred. That's how the narrator is able to foreshadow stuff like the Egghead Incident, or talk about how Momonosuke would eventually become known as the greatest leader of Wano on the day of his coronation.

Or about how the Florin Triangle already had a reputation for ships going missing before Thriller Barque made that it's home.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inadequately posted:

Watch the final chapter be old man usopp telling his grand kids the story and none of them believe he was ever a pirate because he's always such a liar.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Personally I’m hoping for the epilogue where Usopp has to lie to undersell his achievements because really, who the gently caress would actually believe he helped slay a dragon, had 10,000 men as his loyal devoted followers (for five minutes), or saw his captain turn into super saiyan Popeye and beat up a dragon-ogre?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Don't forget that Sabo's dream was to travel the world and write a book about everything he learned.

:five:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DizzyBum posted:

Don't forget that Sabo's dream was to travel the world and write a book about everything he learned.

I'm connecting the dots

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

follow the signs, people...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Violen posted:

I forgot if I pointed this out when that chapter dropped, but Imu's tall thin profile and the sight of the Five Elder Stars transforming reminds me of the Florian Triangle shadows:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/9/9d/Florian_Triangle_Monsters.png

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

we are so loving back

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
E: dumb question

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Violen posted:

dreams come true, so the celestial dragons are nightmares. makes sense.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cat Machine posted:

we are so loving back

Oda waking up with his new cyber eyes to go online and post spoilers for the newest chapter.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What is that little puffball Zoro uses when hes maintaining his swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's called an Uchiko. They're used to help polish and maintain swords.