Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I bought the mesh gutter covers from Costco last fall and just haven't had the time to install them, and have had to clean them out 2x since then. Nothing quite like laying in bed and listening to your gutters overflowing during a big storm. If somebody knocked on my door right now and said they'd install em for $1400 I'd probably break out my checkbook on the spot. Cleaning gutters sucks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I get everything. All of it. I have every tree over my loving house. Maple, oak, pine, sweet gums. All of it. My gutter is full of loving everything.

Same, and most of it is too high/steep for me to be comfortable clearing it myself.

I’m probably going to have to get a new roof within the next 5 years. Do I just ask for the biggest gutters they got!?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

But because we do have bats around the house and the health department says that there are a number of positive rabbies tests in bats this year...

fffffffffff we're in Wake county too and I see tons of bats flying around when I take the dog out for his last trip at night. I like bats, because they keep the mosquitos down... but now not so much.

My wife swore that she saw some bats flying in/around our attic a while back, but I was up there a short while ago and didn't see anything...

BonoMan posted:

Also just got word that my remaining 3 shots can be administered at the ER with no extra costs. So that'll be easy

That's surprising. We've had to bring our youngest in a few times for croup. They do the exact thing every time, but the bill keeps getting higher each time. It was $1,500 out of pocket last time ($3,100 before insurance).

This was a WakeMed, because they have an ER literally down the street, but that probably doesn't matter because any ER is going to do this. They'll all charge you $500 as a "you looked at the sign when you drove by" fee.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Verman posted:

I bought the EZ On stainless mesh gutter guards from costco and installed them a year or two ago shortly after we moved in. We get a lot of sticks, pine needles, and leaves on our roof, to the point that our gutters were clogged when we moved in. The gutter guards need an occasional sweep off but thankfully my roof is low and pretty flat so its easy to hop up and clean them off. With an extension pole, they make a brush that you can clean your guards with from the ground.

They work pretty well. The pine needles sometimes stick into the mesh but the gutters themselves stay clear and the debris sits on top.

No gutter system is fully hands off unless you embrace your inner gary and just ignore it.

This. We got the name brand bullshit, which was more expensive than I would have liked, but whatever. Every storm so far, water keeps flowing. I do need to get up on the roof and blow off all the used sperm sacks from my oaks, but as long as the water flows and doesn't rot out my soffits its a win-win. Since the previous YEARS before we bought our house didn't do that, I am currently replacing all the 1960's soffits now they they stay dry. ( kill me).

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 7, 2023

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

DaveSauce posted:

This was a WakeMed, because they have an ER literally down the street, but that probably doesn't matter because any ER is going to do this. They'll all charge you $500 as a "you looked at the sign when you drove by" fee.
Yeah, facility fees are preposterous. I will intentionally write lovely charts and skip documenting simple procedures on people who were concerned about the ED bill, but the facility and inflated billing costs (as opposed to certainly incredibly low but unknowable Actual Cost or the less-low-but-still-much-lower-than-what-uninsured-people-have-to-pay negotiated cost with the insurance companies) still wreck people and it's just honestly loving gross that we let healthcare get to this point.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I need some solution like this as well. I live in an alcove of mature trees and I have no joke done about 5 full gutter cleans in a single year. It's exhausting.

Have you tried using a leaf blower to clean your gutters? The slope of my roof is shallow enough that I can walk on it, so I walk the perimeter and get the gutters spotless in about 5 minutes. It takes longer to get the leaf blower and ladder ready than it does to clean the gutters.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

fffffffffff we're in Wake county too and I see tons of bats flying around when I take the dog out for his last trip at night. I like bats, because they keep the mosquitos down... but now not so much.

My wife swore that she saw some bats flying in/around our attic a while back, but I was up there a short while ago and didn't see anything...

Yeah he did say it wasn't abnormal that they usually have lots of bats test positive so... not sure if I was supposed to be comforted by that lol. When we first moved in we had a bat in the attic. We had interior gable vent screens, so he wasn't IN in the attic. Just hanging on the interior of the gable vent. But we had exterior gable screens put on just to double up just in case.

quote:

That's surprising. We've had to bring our youngest in a few times for croup. They do the exact thing every time, but the bill keeps getting higher each time. It was $1,500 out of pocket last time ($3,100 before insurance).

Are the croup shots unique visits though? This is a WakeMed too (I live just down the street from the one in Cary). I'll double check but she specifically said that because shots 2, 3 and 4 are part of the same series as the first visit it won't count as anything but a nurse follow up. Which I'm sure has a charge, but hopefully not an ER charge.

My other two options are to go go urgent care which is a $300 charge plus the cost of the shot (minus what insurance pays) or the health department which they said they will bill to insurance, but I have to foot the $300 upfront shot cost first.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Skunkduster posted:

Have you tried using a leaf blower to clean your gutters? The slope of my roof is shallow enough that I can walk on it, so I walk the perimeter and get the gutters spotless in about 5 minutes. It takes longer to get the leaf blower and ladder ready than it does to clean the gutters.

I have! I can walk my roof and leaf blow the roof itself off all the time (because of the aforementioned monumental amount of poo poo that collects in my gutters...also collects all over my roof).

but I have two issues.

1.) The amount of organic matter that collects with the leaves makes everything so heavy that leaf blowing doesn't really get it up.

2.) My shingles hang too far over my gutters so the actual available space to leaf blow (or get my drat hand in when cleaning them out) is way smaller than normal.

So it ends up not really working unfortunately.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My house came with the Gutter Hood system, which was absolutely awful. The gap between the hood and the gutter was just big enough that birds would fly in to build sheltered nests that I'd have to pull out with weird ladder angles. If I didn't pull the nests out, baby birds would likely die in the next big rainstorm.

So when I had the gutters replaced, I got the metal screen type like the Costco version and haven't had a problem since. My house has a gigantic spruce tree in the front, so every now and then I have to take a brush-on-a-pole and clear any of the needle clumps. The water that gets blocked by the clumps was going to zoom off the roof and miss the gutter to begin with, so A+++ would spend thousands for screens again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have zero big trees but our gutters, especially the car port, still get clogged from birds dropping seeds and algae spores from the rice fields. Mostly we can blast it out with the hose but I don't want to go on the roof. poo poo is wild.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There are telescoping gutter wands you can hook up to a hose that work pretty well if you use it regularly. https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58543-Telescoping-Cleaning-Ratcheting/dp/B00CLOG5MK

We've got a few 70' silver maples that will completely fill our gutters to the brim with seed pods. If I hit them with the wand every other week or so once they start to fall it keeps me from having to get the ladder out.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

Are the croup shots unique visits though? This is a WakeMed too (I live just down the street from the one in Cary). I'll double check but she specifically said that because shots 2, 3 and 4 are part of the same series as the first visit it won't count as anything but a nurse follow up. Which I'm sure has a charge, but hopefully not an ER charge.

Yeah, they are all unique visits. But they were practically identical and yet we got charged a wildly different amount each time. We are going to go back to them all and ask for itemized statements because it's so ridiculous.

I was more commenting on the fact that "ER with no extra costs" is just such a weird collection of words to string together in this country.

Enos Cabell posted:

There are telescoping gutter wands you can hook up to a hose that work pretty well if you use it regularly. https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58543-Telescoping-Cleaning-Ratcheting/dp/B00CLOG5MK

We've got a few 70' silver maples that will completely fill our gutters to the brim with seed pods. If I hit them with the wand every other week or so once they start to fall it keeps me from having to get the ladder out.

We have the same problem with maple seeds. You really got to get on those the instant they start falling. They have a habit of collecting in the downspout seed-down so they get packed in super tight, and if you wait too long they will clog up.

Have to be careful spraying them out too... work from the downspout backwards, and make sure the seeds wash out the bottom before you move on. If you start at the end furthest from the downspout, you'll have a huge slug of them all hit the downspout at the same time, and it'll clog up pretty quick.

We pay someone once a year now to do this after the seeds stop dropping... it's such a huge hassle, plus they get all around the house in areas that are too high for me to reach.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
We have magnolia trees right in front of the house, which dumps enormous quantities of leaves all the time. Then there's a Japanese maple tree right up on the back of the house as well as a bunch of tall pine trees that gently caress everything up with needles. I goddamn hate these trees now. But if we get rid of the magnolia trees the front (Southern-facing) aspect of the house will be unshaded.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, they are all unique visits. But they were practically identical and yet we got charged a wildly different amount each time. We are going to go back to them all and ask for itemized statements because it's so ridiculous.

I was more commenting on the fact that "ER with no extra costs" is just such a weird collection of words to string together in this country.

Oh yeah for sure. Medical billing in this country is just criminal. I'm STILL dealing with poo poo from my daughter's colonoscopy 3 years ago. Doctor's office didn't bill the insurance correctly, then didn't send the first bill until FIFTEEN MONTHS after the procedure (for the facilities bill, they sent the doctor's bill and that was filed and paid properly). Just a nightmare of incompetence all around.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There's probably a 'hosed up medical billing' thread in BFC or somethin but this one ain't it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It was like a couple of off-hand comments. Not some huge derail. I think we'll all be ok.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I succesfully replaced the multipoint lock for my pella patio door (loving $560 for that thing), but the person who told me it would only take 15 minutes can eat my entire rear end

it was going ok until I realized that 5/11 screws were stripped. I was able to use my trusty channel locks to turn some of them and get them out, but the others were really stuck in there so I couldn't get a grip. ended up having to bend off the metal lock so I could get to the rest of the screw, and very slowly go at it with pliers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That sounds like a use case for a manual impact driver. You put the appropriate bit in, push it into the screw head as hard as you can while turning it, and then smack it with a hammer. Works great at shocking screws loose.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

That sounds like a use case for a manual impact driver. You put the appropriate bit in, push it into the screw head as hard as you can while turning it, and then smack it with a hammer. Works great at shocking screws loose.

Remember this thing? Where they have a delicate screen on the hammer section?

But yes - this is the way. Even a manual screw driver can work for this depending on how stripped to hell it is. Driver in, maybe a size up, press HARD, strong WHACK with a hammer, then turn slowly putting your weight into it. You basically just need it to come out half a turn and then it eases up dramatically.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I recently moved and got a chance to see my TV console in different lighting... and is this mold on the TV console??? It was sold as a "reclaimed wood" console from Wayfair. It's been in my basement den (which didn't have the best lighting) since 2020, but it was a finished basement without any real humidity problems as far as I know (it was always the most pleasant room in the house). It's possible that it's been like this since the beginning, but I'm not sure.

Because it's pretty unfinished reclaimed wood, it seems like it would be tough to clean it out if it was mold. If it is mold, how should I clean it?

EDIT: I have never spilled anything on it or ate around it. I only wiped with a damp cloth to dust it from time to time.

small butter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 8, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That'll happen with stuff stored underground.

Dust it with spray Lysol, wipe down, then hit it with Murphy's Oil Soap.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Looking for other opinions on my current project!

We ordered a custom laminate countertop from Menards for our master bathroom. Tried to fit it onto the existing cabinets, it's too perfect! Our walls are definitely a bit wonky. The countertop, when installed, will be flush on both sides to the wall, so it's a tight fit with the wonky walls.

We tried slightly angling it, one side slightly lower than the other, nope. Tried keeping it level and inching it into place but it was too tight of a fit. Got a belt sander, sanded off 1/16", still a bit tight to keep it level and walk it in.

Our current plan is sanding off another 1/16" and trying the same technique, but I'm wondering if anybody's done it and if there are any tips or tricks?

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 8, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

small butter posted:

I recently moved and got a chance to see my TV console in different lighting... and is this mold on the TV console??? It was sold as a "reclaimed wood" console from Wayfair. It's been in my basement den (which didn't have the best lighting) since 2020, but it was a finished basement without any real humidity problems as far as I know (it was always the most pleasant room in the house). It's possible that it's been like this since the beginning, but I'm not sure.

Because it's pretty unfinished reclaimed wood, it seems like it would be tough to clean it out if it was mold. If it is mold, how should I clean it?

EDIT: I have never spilled anything on it or ate around it. I only wiped with a damp cloth to dust it from time to time.

Doesn't look like mold to me

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Side splash can help but bowed walls really suck. I ran into a similar problem when installing butcher block in my laundry room. I would go throw a level or straight edge on walls to know if you’re dealing with a bow or if the walls are just racked. If you have or can barrow a laser measures it wouldn’t take long to figure out the minimum distance between the two walls. Maybe put a tiny amount of wax on the edge that you have been sanding? Or even on the drywall?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Calidus posted:

Side splash can help but bowed walls really suck. I ran into a similar problem when installing butcher block in my laundry room. I would go throw a level or straight edge on walls to know if you’re dealing with a bow or if the walls are just racked. If you have or can barrow a laser measures it wouldn’t take long to figure out the minimum distance between the two walls. Maybe put a tiny amount of wax on the edge that you have been sanding? Or even on the drywall?

Oh these are great ideas, thank you. I didn't even think to try to assess how the walls were hosed up!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Walls are never straight, corners are never 45 degree and drywall is never flat

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

eddiewalker posted:

Could be worse, I don't think I want all of my corners to be 45 degrees anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

My walls are never straighterer than yours!!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hmmm yup that's a straight wall alright!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's not terrible, put a side splash on it and you'll never even notice.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

Hmmm yup that's a straight wall alright!

This is why when you get pro countertop install they brag about laser measuring and all the fancy stuff. They can get it cut exactly to match the existing shape.

Of course not to say you're in trouble or won't be able to make it work and look good. Now of you consider the front width vs back width and measure the corners and angles perfectly you can fine tune with the belt sander and only remove where you need.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Johnny Truant posted:

Looking for other opinions on my current project!

We ordered a custom laminate countertop from Menards for our master bathroom. Tried to fit it onto the existing cabinets, it's too perfect! Our walls are definitely a bit wonky. The countertop, when installed, will be flush on both sides to the wall, so it's a tight fit with the wonky walls.

We tried slightly angling it, one side slightly lower than the other, nope. Tried keeping it level and inching it into place but it was too tight of a fit. Got a belt sander, sanded off 1/16", still a bit tight to keep it level and walk it in.

Our current plan is sanding off another 1/16" and trying the same technique, but I'm wondering if anybody's done it and if there are any tips or tricks?

Is this a counter with a separate backsplash?

When I remodelled the kitchen, I had to work with the original plaster wall behind the counter/backsplash and it had over 1/4" of run-out. This was how I solved it.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 8, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Countertop is custom made so no sidesplash.

StormDrain posted:

Of course not to say you're in trouble or won't be able to make it work and look good. Now of you consider the front width vs back width and measure the corners and angles perfectly you can fine tune with the belt sander and only remove where you need.

Yeah this is what we're doing lol, trying to belt sand a few spots. We're gonna take another 1/16 off of it and try again tomorrow!

Definitely will either have something like this installed professionally next time... or use a sidesplash :derp:

PainterofCrap posted:

Is this a counter with a separate backsplash?

When I remodelled the kitchen, I had to work with the original plaster wall behind the counter/backsplash and it had over 1/4" of run-out. This was how I solved it.

Backsplash is separate and already tightly squeezed between the walls lol. It was narrow enough that I used a mallet to get it into place, we're not taking that sucker out now!

Not sure what your picture is meant to show, though? I'm on my phone so maybe zooming is necessary?

It's not the backsplash or back wall that's my problem it's the one side. We tried belt sanding a bit of the wall but the drywall is just bowed completely, I sanded it down to the paper without making really any appreciable difference I think.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone know where to order rugs with a very specific color palette? Need a nonskid one for the kitchen at the family cabin and it has to match sherwin Williams 7612, 7611, 7617 or 6417

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

spf3million posted:

Doesn't look like mold to me

What does it look like? Is it just natural variation in the wood? Damage due to it being reclaimed wood?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

trevorreznik posted:

Anyone know where to order rugs with a very specific color palette? Need a nonskid one for the kitchen at the family cabin and it has to match sherwin Williams 7612, 7611, 7617 or 6417

You're probably better off finding a carpet color that matches and having someone turn a small section/remnant of it into a rug tbqh

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Cut a template from cardboard, use that to guide your sanding.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

trevorreznik posted:

Do you mean exactly match one of those colors? That's probably not going to happen. If you mean 'coordinates with' there are lots of options. Something like this would probably play well with all those blues and the yellowy greenhttps://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/shop-by-color/blue-6x8-uzbek-ghazni-area-rugs-382031. You can get non-slip rug pads for basically any rug.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Choosing a cramped closet with a crazy angular end cap to be my first attempt at cutting/installing baseboard and quarter round was a huge mistake. Especially without the wrong tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
At least no one looks too closely at closets?