Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

It also doesn't really feel like they ever had a concrete outline for the trilogy planned and just made things up as they went along (not to mention the two competing directors that seemed hellbent on sabotaging each other's plot points)

yeah lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Angry Salami posted:

I still don’t understand how we got Phasma being defeated, humiliated and left for dead twice without ever getting a payoff in the third film.

:effort:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Between TLJ and the DCU it's lol how you got two major franchises completely derailing because they just couldn't possibly have a black man serve as the heart of the narrative even if that meant tearing it out and replacing it with incoherent bullshit.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Between TLJ and the DCU it's lol how you got two major franchises completely derailing because they just couldn't possibly have a black man serve as the heart of the narrative even if that meant tearing it out and replacing it with incoherent bullshit.

Lot harder to edit out a black protagonist than a gay kiss.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmnrMKf9Q3A

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally, someone remembers the real Star Wars movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpHfFIWCR_k

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, Lucas was really into Clone Wars, at least when it started. There's some interview that I can't find right now, I think it was on Conan, when the show was about to come out, where he's describing it as a show where they can tell adult stories, but in an animated format, and it'll play on a kid's network, but isn't for kids, so he didn't really know how to sell it or who it was for. And Conan (or whoever the host was) joked, "Well I'm sure this will be a huge hit, then." But Lucas really liked the idea of using it to tell more stories in between Episodes 2 and 3.

Lucas really did rule when he was in charge.

Going back a little bit, but I came across the clip I was talking about where George Lucas talks about the Clone Wars TV show, so I thought I'd post it. And I got the quotes basically right. Timestamped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDE3eJP9vc&t=291s

George Lucas: "It's very much Star Wars. It's not a South Park comedy. It's not a kiddie Sponge Bob Square Pants. It's sort of, the first dramatic animated show that is, uh, PG-13. So it doesn't really go on late night, it doesn't really go on Saturday afternoon, it actually doesn't go anywhere, I don't really know what we're gonna do with it. But we're having a hell of a lot of...we've had a great time making it."

Conan: "Excellent marketing strategy. You'll love it, and you'll never see it."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 7, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My girlfriend casually asked me "How much do you like Star Wars?" yesterday. I took a very long pause and said "That's a really complicated question."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did the new Daisy Ridley movie rumour turn out to be fake ?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
My wife knows I love Star Wars with my whole heart.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Did the new Daisy Ridley movie rumour turn out to be fake ?

No? It was officially announced earlier this year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There was a brief plot summary leak that may or may not have been genuine?

But the movie is happening.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

on a scale of 1 to 10 how excited are ya'll

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maybe that's referring to this?

That's been debunked - the only things currently known about the movie are that it'll have Rey rebuilding the Jedi 15 years after the end of Episode IX, and that two writers have already left the project.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I was under the impression the movie would of been Rey discovering if she even should restore the Jedi Order. Even the Galaxy at large seems to just hate Jedi or be indifferent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who the hell could the villain possible be ??

Edit

I mean besides the Jedi

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

euphronius posted:

Who the hell could the villain possible be ??

Edit

I mean besides the Jedi
Somehow, Palpatine returned. Again.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the villain is rey, as she walks into her trainee's room in the middle of the night and draws her lightsaber because she senses the darkness inside them

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CheshireCat posted:

Somehow, Palpatine returned. Again.

They are totally doing this

Palpatine is Bowser for the disney Star Wars

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Robot Style posted:

Maybe that's referring to this?

That's been debunked - the only things currently known about the movie are that it'll have Rey rebuilding the Jedi 15 years after the end of Episode IX, and that two writers have already left the project.

It may have been debunked, but you just know Disney took a look at that premise and thought to themselves, "Hey...that's pretty good!"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mantis42 posted:

SuperMechagodzilla out of 10

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ungulateman posted:

the villain is rey, as she walks into her trainee's room in the middle of the night and draws her lightsaber because she senses the darkness inside them

Rey just wants to talk to them

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Got to watch Return of the Jedi with an orchestra playing the soundtrack and it was just fantastic. Had been a long time since I have seen it and that was a fantastic reintroduction. Highly suggest watching them with an orchestra.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mantis42 posted:

it might be good but I am cultivating an inner nature which is absent of hype

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It has every potential to be a more interesting shitshow to mull over than star wars 9. Realistic expectations wise that's probably the most anyone should hope for

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

9 was bad but 8 out of 9 of the main title movies were good and that’s a way better success rate than Marvel hits

I like our chances of another good movie

The Star Wars movie genre is def not over exposed like comic book movies are also

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's absolutely no way Episode X isn't going to have even more ridiculous levels of retconning and backfilled story that changes the entire context of the sequels with it, if only to have an actual story to work with.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I kind of want Rian Johnson to start X so that JJ Abrams can come in for XI and squeeze out a turd on his creation. It's like poetry, it should rhyme.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They should skip to episode 13 so they can change everything and then leave it to some other rear end in a top hat to make prequels

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

euphronius posted:

9 was bad but 8 out of 9 of the main title movies were good and that’s a way better success rate than Marvel hits

The Star Wars movie genre is def not over exposed like comic book movies are also

8 out of 9?

I’m not too sure I agree with your police work there, Norm

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's absolutely no way Episode X isn't going to have even more ridiculous levels of retconning and backfilled story that changes the entire context of the sequels with it, if only to have an actual story to work with.

Somehow, it's now directly after the destruction of the Death Star! Luke had a terrible dream where a bunch of stupid poo poo happened because he was drunk on Ewok liquor and passed out with a nicotine patch still on. Anyway....

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PT6A posted:

Somehow, it's now directly after the destruction of the Death Star! Luke had a terrible dream where a bunch of stupid poo poo happened because he was drunk on Ewok liquor and passed out with a nicotine patch still on. Anyway....

I'm now picturing Luke being a smoker offscreen but Darth Vader convinced him to kick the habit. Indirectly or directly.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Luke hit that Ewok Yub Chug so hard that he's still trying to sober up with space sea cow milk straight from the teat.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Episode X (pronounced ecks not ten): Now that literally every form of governmental authority Republic or Imperial has been destroyed and the galaxy is in murderous anarchy, Rey decides to to take the Order in Jedi Order literally, uniting the Galaxy under her stern but benevolent theocratic rule.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rule of the Girlboss

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Trilogy X - No republic this time. Just autocratic war games settling diplomacy every 4 years like the Olympics.

Also set 100 years in the future but still including ST characters because time dilation or some poo poo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Funny how the films are going to follow the pattern of the original EU, with everyone losing interest after the legacy characters are no longer the focus and the creators failed to come up with any compelling new ideas. And they're both called The New Jedi Order.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I take it this Trilogy X will be contrasted with another Trilogy. Might I recommend that one be called Sever?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

8 out 9 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can probably get to 8 good star wars films but you'd need to expand the field beyond numbered installments quite a bit. 2 ewok films and ~3 andor arcs that are just films go a ways, but even they might not get you over the line