Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
$50 seems pretty high when you can often buy the whole set for $50.

A simple list of the parts would be helpful, though. I'm sure most can be ordered from B&P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Okay this eldorado set is cool as hell

Once you get past 50% of the build being the base rocks and sea caves it has some really interesting building techniques and the fact that it's modular means you can display it however you want

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What's the best site to sell old sets? The only sets I have that are worth anything are the 7190 and the 7186 that I posted earlier. I'm interested in offloading them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SA mart is probably the least agonizing. After that it's off to bricklink with you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mutata posted:

What's the best site to sell old sets? The only sets I have that are worth anything are the 7190 and the 7186 that I posted earlier. I'm interested in offloading them.

There is no best site.

You have a handful to choose from:

Ebay: probably the easiest place to sell, but you have the highest fees, the least seller protections, and if you sell enough ($600) you have to pay income tax on your sales, as well.
Bricklink: no buyer protections at all. You might be able to get more $ but it will probably take longer.
craigslist: no buyer protections. You won't get as much, and it is a crap shoot how long it will take.
Bricks & Minifigs: a crappy chain that is popping up around the country that will give you pennies on the dollar of the value of your sets and then charge higher than ebay prices to resell.
facebook marketplace: see craigslist
offerup: see facebook and craigslist
SA Forums: Arguably your best bet here if someone wants the set.

The biggest thing, is make sure the set is 100% complete with the instructions. If it is not, then buy the missing stuff to make it complete. You may end up getting less but it will actually sell. No one wants to buy used incomplete sets unless the price is seriously reduced.

E: because you have the watto figure, you might want to sell the two sets together on ebay in an auction with a reserve. Because that figure is in high demand, it might pull up the rest of the stuff with it. It would be easy to sell by itself, of course.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 9, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Beasteh posted:

Okay this eldorado set is cool as hell

Once you get past 50% of the build being the base rocks and sea caves it has some really interesting building techniques and the fact that it's modular means you can display it however you want

i've heard that the base rocks are pretty tedious but i have to admit i'm curious on the build for the ramp. that cobblestone effect also looks pretty cool

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i'm like 50 points away from getting that 100 bucks discount though and nothing else tickles my fancy until the himeji castle and the japanese garden

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Borsche69 posted:

i'm like 50 points away from getting that 100 bucks discount though and nothing else tickles my fancy until the himeji castle and the japanese garden

I save up all my points each year until January and then knock a (big) chunk off the modular.

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008
Those of you that sell on Brinklink, how long does it take to sell, and how are the customers to deal with? I've been dragging my feet on setting up my store; they make you jump through so many hoops.

Facebook marketplace works well for me for selling small sets, I have not had luck with bigger/expensive sets.
I hadn't considered SAmart though, anyone interested in 10123 Cloud City?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

There is no best site.

You have a handful to choose from:

Ebay: probably the easiest place to sell, but you have the highest fees, the least seller protections, and if you sell enough ($600) you have to pay income tax on your sales, as well.
Bricklink: no buyer protections at all. You might be able to get more $ but it will probably take longer.
craigslist: no buyer protections. You won't get as much, and it is a crap shoot how long it will take.
Bricks & Minifigs: a crappy chain that is popping up around the country that will give you pennies on the dollar of the value of your sets and then charge higher than ebay prices to resell.
facebook marketplace: see craigslist
offerup: see facebook and craigslist
SA Forums: Arguably your best bet here if someone wants the set.

The biggest thing, is make sure the set is 100% complete with the instructions. If it is not, then buy the missing stuff to make it complete. You may end up getting less but it will actually sell. No one wants to buy used incomplete sets unless the price is seriously reduced.

E: because you have the watto figure, you might want to sell the two sets together on ebay in an auction with a reserve. Because that figure is in high demand, it might pull up the rest of the stuff with it. It would be easy to sell by itself, of course.

Thanks for the rundown. The Falcon is missing perhaps 2 pieces. Watto's Slavetime Jamboree is fully complete though. Both have boxes and all pack in documentation. I'll probably source the missing bits and do that combo auction you suggested. Thanks!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Poke Chop posted:

Lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I save up all my points each year until January and then knock a (big) chunk off the modular.

if i couldve just gotten that midiscale super star destroyer during the 4x points period i wouldve been golden

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'll give you double MSRP for it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I sold a few sets a while ago on Bricklink but shipping boxed sets is a pain (and expensive) and also high-value sets sit for a while because the number of buyers is low. So you end up having to rush to ship when you finally get an order, out of nowhere.

I have to try selling on Facebook marketplace. If there’s a local market, it seems way easier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Poke Chop posted:

Those of you that sell on Brinklink, how long does it take to sell, and how are the customers to deal with? I've been dragging my feet on setting up my store; they make you jump through so many hoops.

Facebook marketplace works well for me for selling small sets, I have not had luck with bigger/expensive sets.

If you're not joking, Cloud City is one of the most sought after Star Wars sets(mostly due to the minifigures) and the Boba fett alone goes for like $2k if it's in good condition

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mutata posted:

Thanks for the rundown. The Falcon is missing perhaps 2 pieces. Watto's Slavetime Jamboree is fully complete though. Both have boxes and all pack in documentation. I'll probably source the missing bits and do that combo auction you suggested. Thanks!

You might want to just get those missing pieces because it will probably make someone more likely to want to buy it. Otherwise, they have you buy your set, but also figure out how to get the missing pieces.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

You might want to just get those missing pieces because it will probably make someone more likely to want to buy it. Otherwise, they have you buy your set, but also figure out how to get the missing pieces.

Oh, for sure. There's 2 missing pieces, I believe, so it would be silly to try to sell it without replacing those.

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008

RatHat posted:

If you're not joking, Cloud City is one of the most sought after Star Wars sets(mostly due to the minifigures) and the Boba fett alone goes for like $2k if it's in good condition

Lando's cape is a little wonky, but its all there. I had no idea until i went to list it on BL. I've never sold anything locally for more than $100 or so.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Poke Chop posted:

Lando's cape is a little wonky, but its all there. I had no idea until i went to list it on BL. I've never sold anything locally for more than $100 or so.

Yeah that Boba Fett is a mortgage payment, lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yeah that Boba Fett is a mortgage payment, lol

Must be nice have a $1200 mortgage payment. What country are you in?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Must be nice have a $1200 mortgage payment. What country are you in?

One of those states nobody likes, on a mortgage well before the world went insane, thank God.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That market for rare crappy old minifigs is so weird.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I love that Han and Luke are yellow, Leia is peach, and Lando's head is just the classic : ) with a mustache but printed on a brown lego head.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arcella posted:

I love that Han and Luke are yellow, Leia is peach, and Lando's head is just the classic : ) with a mustache but printed on a brown lego head.

The first black person lego head, if memory serves?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Arcella posted:

Yeah Leia should be yellow as well if you're selling it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The_Doctor posted:

The first black person lego head, if memory serves?

Nope, first were the creepy-as-gently caress NBA mini figures. They were the first flesh toned mini figures as well

Cloud city was the same year though

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 10, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why is Boba worth $2k?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Because it’s old and only came in that set

And Star Wars superfans are nuts

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It was also an expensive set. $100!

Lol

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Lego online community right around 2007 was kinda crazy in hindsight. The announcement that a Cloud City set, one that would feature Lando, was big news, and incredibly divisive. Virtually everyone agreed that the NBA line was incredibly awkward and maybe unintentionally racist, but Brown Lando vs. Yellow Lando was a whole different ballgame. A lot of the arguments were the same ones you'd see a decade later about 'it's just a toy for kids, why are you trying to make it woke' (although the term was 'PC' then) versus 'Lando is a Black guy and it's gonna be super weird if he's yellow'. IIRC, the whole debate is actually the primary reason all their licensed sets moved to skintone minifigures rather than yellow going forward -- brown Lando was the obvious correct decision, but once you have a single brown dude and a bunch of everyone else in arbitrary yellow, you've eventually gotta give everyone else their skin tones too or it's just going to make the whole thing even worse.

Hell, people even made webcomics about it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Poke Chop posted:

Holy poo poo

This is one of those baseball cards in the attic moments. How do you even sell that without getting robbed?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 10, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
cloud city is where they smoke marijuana

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
But why is Leia not yellow

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Poke Chop posted:

What's the USD total in this photo?

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's not the Leia from 10123.

Edit: Or it's an anomaly from the transition period from yellow to skintones?

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 10, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lego jaundice

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, you’re right that is the wrong Leia. But I can’t find a Leia figure with that torso but not yellow hands. Is it a bootleg or did someone replace the hands?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mutata posted:

Edit: Or it's an anomaly from the transition period from yellow to skintones?

Looking at this list of Leia minifigures, they never made a different version of that figure, so something weird is going on.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

mutata posted:

What's the USD total in this photo?

With the right Leia? The figures are probably ~$2,000, give or take a little. Luke, Lando, and Boba doing some really heavy lifting in that total.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Maybe it's bootleg, maybe it's from another set , or maybe it's a one of a kind misprint upside down stamp worth millions!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

OP should spend $4 to buy the yellow version of that same head on Bricklink and all of a sudden his figure is worth $100.