Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

That said, what happens if Indy just cold doesn't get involved with Donovan at all, or like he rescues his dad and they just peace out (not that Jones Sr. would do or allow that but just saying) once they've got a motorcycle? I forget if the Nazis still needed the grail diary or like if they get the info from it after Elsa takes it from Indiana. But then she doublecrosses Donovan anyway I guess because gently caress that guy lol

Hard to imagine they don't brute force their way through eventually, at which point yea I think Donovan still probably ends up dead but who knows what happens after that. Good chance they all die trying to take the Grail past the seal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

General Dog posted:

I don't think anybody ITT is trying to say Raiders is a bad or (diagetically or non-diagetically) pointless movie.

No, I am loving with Megaman's Jockstrap.

The question of whether or not Indy "did anything" in Raiders is irrelevant, because who cares if his actions "mattered" in the end? Like, going point for point over how actually Belloq would still have done X or Y is immaterial, because characters trying to do stuff and not succeeding doesn't make a story pointless. Walter White could've just not made meth and still died of cancer, the Avengers could've just let Thanos have all the stones, Luke could've just stayed on Dagobah. But those characters had goals and arcs, and there were stakes that mattered in the moment, and the experiences changed them. Which is the entire point of following characters in a narrative.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Sardonik posted:

On the note of YouTube commentary, Jesus did a lot of people target Dial as 'the worst thing ever'. The gulf between the ire of the reviews and the thing itself is one of the biggest gulfs I've seen in the space.

Definitely felt like there was a lot of cheering for it to fail, even going back like a year ago before anything had come out.

Although I feel like even without that, or if the response at Cannes hadn’t been so dire, it still wouldn’t have done great — been coming to the sad realization Indy has kinda aged out of being popular.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is Cinema Sins not having fun with it? I never took their videos to be serious critiques, it's just having fun with silly nitpicks.
Cinema Sins will do things like say "the characters act like they are safe... but they don't know danger is about to happen! *SIN*"

I think their most hated video was on Cabin in the Woods because they spent the entire video not understanding that the film makers were doing things on purpose and it was sort of a comedy satire on horror tropes. So characters would say things like "lets split up!" and thats part of the whole shick of the film and cinema sins would go

actually you know what i don't care

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I didn't like how Helena went from:

- Trying to get Indy framed for murder.
- Trying to get Indy murdered.
- Dancing and singing immediately after Indy's friend got murdered.
- Suddenly crying and caring about Indy.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Koramei posted:

Definitely felt like there was a lot of cheering for it to fail, even going back like a year ago before anything had come out.

Although I feel like even without that, or if the response at Cannes hadn’t been so dire, it still wouldn’t have done great — been coming to the sad realization Indy has kinda aged out of being popular.

The people he's popular with aren't the people that go to movies in theaters.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Grey posted:

I didn't like how Helena went from:

- Trying to get Indy framed for murder.
- Trying to get Indy murdered.
- Dancing and singing immediately after Indy's friend got murdered.
- Suddenly crying and caring about Indy.

She’s not a character. She would be in an insane asylum. She doesn’t act in any consistent way that indicates a brain at work and everyone around her acts like everything she does is fine and just goes with it.
Oh, you left me to probably get murdered by thugs but I will literally never address this and we are still buddies.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

Cinema Sins will do things like say "the characters act like they are safe... but they don't know danger is about to happen! *SIN*"

Yes. They’re a content mill. They don’t care at all about what they make, they just found a low-effort niche that gets views. Their “complaints” are just whatever fills out a 20 minute video. “Hey this pitcher of lemonade is at different levels across shots.”

I’m pretty sure they’ve done videos for, like, Se7en or The Shining. “Everything wrong with Rear Window,” or whatever. Sure, ok, tell me what Hitchcock or Kubrick did wrong as filmmakers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AlternateAccount posted:

She’s not a character. She would be in an insane asylum. She doesn’t act in any consistent way that indicates a brain at work and everyone around her acts like everything she does is fine and just goes with it.
Oh, you left me to probably get murdered by thugs but I will literally never address this and we are still buddies.

[Indy about to time travel from ancient Greece to medieval Norway] I CAN'T LEAVE WITHOUT MY BUDDY HELENA.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lampsacus posted:

I think their most hated video was on Cabin in the Woods because they spent the entire video not understanding that the film makers were doing things on purpose and it was sort of a comedy satire on horror tropes. So characters would say things like "lets split up!" and thats part of the whole shick of the film and cinema sins would go

actually you know what i don't care

I mean, yeah, that's kind of my point, I don't see how anyone can look at that and think "ah yes this is serious cinematic criticism". It's literally just listing everything from "person makes sub-optimal choice" to "common movie trope" to "person says name of the movie". There's no coherent argument or thesis to any of it.

E: anyway, not to derail too much, I think the apparent age demographic for DoD is interesting; my 73 year old dad, by no means a movie buff, was by far the most enthusiastic about going to see it in a way that kind of surprised me and my mom. It definitely feels like it's tapping that age group, which unfortunately is not the biggest movie market.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 11, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Like I said, she's MCU Indy

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sardonik posted:

On the note of YouTube commentary, Jesus did a lot of people target Dial as 'the worst thing ever'. The gulf between the ire of the reviews and the thing itself is one of the biggest gulfs I've seen in the space.

Yeah, there's a ton of culture war poo poo with Kathleen Kennedy ruining nerd stuff with wokism or whatever.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Gonna lol when Helena becomes the new Indy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah, there's a ton of culture war poo poo with Kathleen Kennedy ruining nerd stuff with wokism or whatever.

Like I said, idk how much she's actually to blame but it's there is the funny coincidence that every LucasArts film is about a brunette British woman now

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Low effort comment trolls keep calling the movie "woke"; which is just the weirdest thing ever since the female lead in it barely does anything of note and as stated, is kind of a non character and just exists to oush the plot in directions regardless of character.

This is also in conjunction with Caviezels movie that's "exposing the liberal pedo agenda" movie beating it one day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It might make for a fun movie, but Helena having archeology adventures in the 70s just feels completely divorced from what Indiana Jones is in my mind. It's just too modern. Globalization has begun, the monoculture is rearing its ugly head. Singapore in the 30s and 70s are vastly different places when it comes to Westernization.

The 30s are a fascinating moment in world history where the globe has just begun to get smaller and more accessible via air travel, and the "exotic" nature of other cultures still makes (some) sense from a Westerner's POV—the world is still mysterious and strange and undiscovered. There's a baked-in naivete, if you're being generous.

By the 70s everything is cynical and depressing and connected and Westernized. Without Indy around as a representation of the old world, it just becomes a very different beast and one that has nothing to do with what I love about the first 3 flicks, or even Young Indy, or even what does work about the lastest 2.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

[Indy about to time travel from ancient Greece to medieval Norway] I CAN'T LEAVE WITHOUT MY BUDDY HELENA.

The Nazis secretly gave him a poison that'll kill him if his heart rate drops too much. Helena helps with that by engineering situations to boost his heart rate. It's Crank with an 80 year old man getting "cranked."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Indy getting punched so hard he doesn't wake up till NY is some funny poo poo.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Indiana Jones and the Concussion of Convenience.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 12, 2023

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Indiana Jones and the Subdural of Contrivance.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Just got back from seeing it. There's something wrong with an Indiana Jones film that's set even partly during my lifetime (born in 1968). I also think I dozed off a couple times during it. I did like Shaunette Renée Wilson as Mason/Secret Agent Foxy Brown.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Sardonik posted:

Is it? The warmest praise I've seen for this movie is, "It's okay."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Working my way through rewatching the series and goddamn does Temple of Doom have a great score.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Temple of Doom owns. I just watched it again the other night. Fun movie

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

In terms of overall rankings among Indiana Jones movies, I'd probably rank it somewhat low - it's tonally all over the place, and its got some, uh, questionable issues of race and colonialism - but it sure is fun to watch. Spielberg and Lucas were clearly having a blast making this and throwing in just about every goddamn thing they wanted to do. The opening musical number, the club fight, the Shanghai chase, the screwball comedy of the "five minutes" sequence, the bug/crushing room scene, the hard shift to horror with the heart ripping scene, Mola Ram escaping through a trap door while cackling maniacally, the whole ending chase and fight - it's less a single coherent story and more of Spielberg directing every type of action, horror, or comedy scene he could imagine at the peak of his abilities. There's a bit from those tapes of Spielberg/Lucas/Kasdan writing Raiders where Spielberg just decides off the top of his head that the monkey should sieg heil because hey, a heiling monkey is funny, why not do it (and he was right). This is a whole movie of heiling monkeys.

Also as already mentioned, Williams is in top form here. This might be one of his best scores.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SolarFire2 posted:

Is it? The warmest praise I've seen for this movie is, "It's okay."

Okay.

I liked it, it was cool and good and I look forward to getting the 4K steelbook. The action was cool and kept my attention, Helena ending up being basically a selfish backstabbing tag-along was not hinted at in the trailers *at all* and it was refreshing, Mads Mikkelsen can do no wrong, and you could tell that Harrison Ford truly gave a poo poo about a character he loves. Easily my third favorite Indy flick, and I even enjoy Temple and Crystal Skull more than most. I will watch Dial again, and likely enjoy it more on the rewatch.

Also CinemaSins is, always has been, and always will be, total garbage. For actually funny and interesting humorous critiques of movies, Pitch Meeting and Honest Trailers are the way to go.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also as already mentioned, Williams is in top form here. This might be one of his best scores.

Temple of Doom has the "freeing the kids" theme which is an all-timer.
But Last Crusade has the beginning chase, which rotates through some great "young Indy" motifs that you never hear again.

And Raiders is just fuckin nuts. That and Conan the Barbarian are the two best soundtracks I own, I think.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Raiders’ soundtrack is phenomenal. The ark theme has a divinity to it I don’t think I’ve heard from anything else in cinema. That final scene in general is honestly still kind of mind blowing (ha) to me.

I grew up with a taped copy of Last Crusade and as a result I’ve always kinda loosely considered it my favorite movie; i hadn’t seen it for like 15 years though so I was worried about how it would hold up. Fantastically? It turns out. Not saying anything new here but it was a relief to me all the same. It sticking to Christian artifacts and crusader setting means even politically I don’t think it’s aged nearly as poorly as the others in the trilogy. In a bunch of ways I think it’s a more fun and polished experience than raiders, even.
And yet rewatching them again, the personality of raiders lingers with me more. It’s rougher around the edges and has a couple of parts that drag, whereas imo Last Crusade is flatly perfect. But Raiders hits higher highs, and I think the way the ark is portrayed is a big part of that. It’s just a thing, but it has such a profound presence.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Dial is extremely bland and has absolutely zero iconic scenes, unlike the other three (yes, three) which all have very memorable set pieces. Who really wants to see CGI Indy on a CGI train? Or a stuntperson fending off CGI eels? There is a half-hearted bug scene which seems just kind of sad after the excellent bug tunnel in Temple of Doom, and the villain doesn't even get a spectacular and gory set-piece send off like the other ones. There's even a world war 2 motorbike chase like we already had in Crusade except it is much less exciting and harder to see what's going on because of the lighting, editing and direction. It all just makes you wish you were watching one of the actually good ones instead.

Now I think of it I don't actually think this is better than Crystal Skull in any meaningful way. The disappointment I felt in Skull was more palpable, but it had a few interesting scenes and a fairly OK villain comeuppance.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Dial felt a lot more like a Tintin story than an Indiana Jones story.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Payndz posted:

Skull lacked what several posters have pointed out about the other films: they weren't afraid to get brutal as Indy took out even random mooks, never mind mini-bosses and main villains, whereas this was very 'clean'. The only deaths I can remember were the ant guy and Blanchett's character, and they were so obviously CG-heavy they felt fake in a way that the equally effects-dependent fancy kills in the older movies got away with.

('Clean' could also describe the movie in general. Like Chris Nolan's scrubbed and sterile Gotham, it lacked the mud and dust and dirt of the first three. Indy falls in a swamp, but later on his trousers still look pressed.)

Skull also criminally wasted John Hurt and Ray Winstone. I can't even remember how Winstone's character died!

Reading this thread after my unpleasant watch of this movie and this post from the beginning of it reminds me, did Indiana kill any of the bad guys in Dial? Even the big guy they set up as pushing him around got merked by the annoying thief kid.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Yeah, I won't lie that was pretty disappointing and went against the Themes of the movie pretty hard. I can't help but wonder if they only did that because they didn't want to show the process of going back to 1969, feeling that the movie was dragging too much.

There's so many cuts they could have made to this movie its insane. Like the half dozen times Indy is caught but the villains don't kill him...for some reason.

And there were like 4 bad guys? It feels so much smaller than the other movies.

Also the movie is really nasty. Antonio Banderas got fd over imo

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Reading this thread after my unpleasant watch of this movie and this post from the beginning of it reminds me, did Indiana kill any of the bad guys in Dial? Even the big guy they set up as pushing him around got merked by the annoying thief kid.

He shot a mook at Archimedes tomb, that’s all I can remember

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rename this Indiana Jones and the Snooze Dial of Mediocrity

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Koramei posted:

Raiders’ soundtrack is phenomenal. The ark theme has a divinity to it I don’t think I’ve heard from anything else in cinema. That final scene in general is honestly still kind of mind blowing (ha) to me.

I grew up with a taped copy of Last Crusade and as a result I’ve always kinda loosely considered it my favorite movie; i hadn’t seen it for like 15 years though so I was worried about how it would hold up. Fantastically? It turns out. Not saying anything new here but it was a relief to me all the same. It sticking to Christian artifacts and crusader setting means even politically I don’t think it’s aged nearly as poorly as the others in the trilogy. In a bunch of ways I think it’s a more fun and polished experience than raiders, even.
And yet rewatching them again, the personality of raiders lingers with me more. It’s rougher around the edges and has a couple of parts that drag, whereas imo Last Crusade is flatly perfect. But Raiders hits higher highs, and I think the way the ark is portrayed is a big part of that. It’s just a thing, but it has such a profound presence.
This is broadly the same as I feel about the Raiders vs. Crusade debate, even if I prefer the latter. Crusade flows significantly better scene to scene, and the father/son arc gives it an emotional depth that the other movies lack, but there's some shots in Raiders that stick out just a bit more individually (uncovering Tanis at night, crated ark melting the swastika, zoom out of the warehouse at the end, etc.). I'll have to re-listen to Temple's soundtrack I guess, I don't remember much about it.

Top. Movies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Rename this Indiana Jones and the Snooze Dial of Mediocrity

Indiana Jones and Destined to reach for the Dial whenever this one comes on

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

There's so many cuts they could have made to this movie its insane. Like the half dozen times Indy is caught but the villains don't kill him...for some reason.

And there were like 4 bad guys? It feels so much smaller than the other movies.

Also the movie is really nasty. Antonio Banderas got fd over imo

If posters/ads hadn't been hitting me over the head that Banderes was in the movie I wouldn't have recognized him. Wow, he's 62 years old.

I loved that they had four bad guys and still couldn't be arsed to give them any real character. There was Mads, Pornstache guy, Big guy and... a couple others. I mean, Jesus, if you have the few mooks, give them some personality or something.

I did like the Mason girl getting pissed not because the others were evil but because they were so gently caress-witted. I kept expected Mads to just say something like "Well, clearly some portions of the Race have more Mastery than others."

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Everyone posted:

If posters/ads hadn't been hitting me over the head that Banderes was in the movie I wouldn't have recognized him. Wow, he's 62 years old.

When Indy said he had an old friend who owns a diving boat, I thought they were going to bring back a character from one of the old movies. That was the perfect opportunity for it.

Then it was Banderes and I started thinking, "He hasn't been in an Indiana Jones movie before, has he?"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Grey posted:

When Indy said he had an old friend who owns a diving boat, I thought they were going to bring back a character from one of the old movies. That was the perfect opportunity for it.

I was 100% certain it was going to be Mr. Katanga, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
This thing's gonna lose Disney a lot of money too, huh. That's probably it for Indy IP for a while then. Is that game still happening?

Here, Disney, do this: Indiana Jones animated series. Just get a good voice cast, no super expensive celebs. Stylized, sort of like Spiderverse, but more like a 1930s pulp comic style, fluidly animated. All set pre-WWII. No loving three season long "mythology" buildups, just different artefacts and sidekicks and villains every episode. Also, make it good (important!).