Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It’s been a while since I saw He Never Died, I know I liked it but also I never saw She Never Died and I feel that’s a good excuse to rewatch it for a double feature someday soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Woah cool, I didn't know there was a kind-of sequel. Checkin' that out sometime :hfive:

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i'll vouch for he never died. i don't know if it's very good but it sticks with me more than a bunch of other movies. it's a good and violent and not so serious time.

:yeah:
There's probably a better way to phrase this, but it's one of the more "realistic" depictions of what endless life would actually do to a person. Sure it would be all fun an games at first, but after watching your 10th wife grow old and die before your eyes at what point would you just stop making human connections or valuing others at all?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 11, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Takes No Damage posted:

There's probably a better way to phrase this, but it's one of the more "realistic" depictions of what endless life would actually do to a person. Sure it would be all fun an games at first, but after watching your 10th wife grow old and die before your eyes at what point would you just stop making human connections or valuing others at all?

This is a big part of the plot of Highlander. Ramirez warns Macleod against becoming too attached to mortals, the Kurgan is evil because he has no attachment to them, but ultimately they're both wrong as life matters even if - or maybe because - it's transitory.

One of the German producers described Highlander as "not an action movie. It is a love story with sword fights", and that's actually really on point.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

I wasn't really heavily invested in it but I'm watching Occult (2009) by Shiraishi and uh goddam I was not expecting the swerve in this film.

:catstare:

Just watched because of you and I found it awesome.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just casually having Koyoshi Kurosawa show up as the occultust scholar version of himself puts it in a whole other league. I love Noroi but there's no other movie like Occult. its terrific

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Joke would of been better if it was just the same stone faced expression everytime

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
Woah cool, I didn't know there was a kind-of sequel. Checkin' that out sometime :hfive:

:yeah:

Yeah, to me this is the most interesting thing about vampirism, and the “meths” from Altered Carbon. There’d be no way to empathize with or relate to mortals, after a point.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, to me this is the most interesting thing about vampirism, and the “meths” from Altered Carbon. There’d be no way to empathize with or relate to mortals, after a point.

Kinda depends on how good your memory is. The comic Powers (I think) had an immortal, but his memory for anything more than about 70-80 years back was about the same as a normal persons memories of being 5. You'd probably be permanently jaded and old-fashioned, but not necessarily incapable of forming bonds.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

You'd probably be permanently jaded and old-fashioned, but not necessarily incapable of forming bonds.

Also possibly completely insane!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i also watched Evil Dead Rise last night which was similarly a pretty bad movie with one great performance (Alyssa Sutherland).

Had similar thoughts, what a face, man.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I like Lady Gaga and all but why didn't they get her to play Harley Quinn in that Joker sequel?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Had similar thoughts, what a face, man.

Also incredible to realize it was her second acting gig ever. She's so good in EDR.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m sure it’s mostly garbage, but Fanatical has a horror game bundle, 50ish games for less than :tenbux: . Probably something worthwhile in there

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
SMG had a great post long ago about Occult, the movie theater at the end, suicide bombing and the effects but I dont even know where to look for it. Anyways, the bad effects are actually the way the other dimension looks to us and this reinforces the horror that eternal suffering is in 16-bit.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

alf_pogs posted:

just casually having Koyoshi Kurosawa show up as the occultust scholar version of himself puts it in a whole other league. I love Noroi but there's no other movie like Occult. its terrific

The anthology film he did has Takashi Shimizu showing up for a short too, lol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Uh the trailer for Godzilla minus 1 has premiered or at least a teaser. I'mma go ahead and start my gofundme to travel to japan to see the movie. Thank you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’ll be out in the us a month later

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

CelticPredator posted:

It’ll be out in the us a month later

I'm still going to make the gofundme to send me to japan.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Shin Godzilla prequel? Extremely here for it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll be honest I'm disappointed that its not a sequel to Shin Godzilla.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also incredible to realize it was her second acting gig ever. She's so good in EDR.

Wait that can’t be true. I just saw her in a vampire flick the other day and she was in that terrible Mist series. Like maybe it’s her second starring film role or something? But she’s been active and has a couple of extended tv roles.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chris James 2 posted:

It’s been a while since I saw He Never Died, I know I liked it but also I never saw She Never Died and I feel that’s a good excuse to rewatch it for a double feature someday soon

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^

As someone who really liked He Never Died, avoid She Never Died at all costs. It's as if some studio exec saw HND and said "It was good, but we need more action and romance"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They're really two separate films that should be watched as such. I think both have some good ideas even if HND is quite a bit better but SND suffers a lot from the "Never Died" moniker.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I’m sure it’s mostly garbage, but Fanatical has a horror game bundle, 50ish games for less than :tenbux: . Probably something worthwhile in there

It's actually a bundle of the five DreadX collection games, which are like horror anthologies. They gave a bunch of indie developers a few days to make a small spook and put them together into one game.
They're pretty good overall. The whole set for just a few bucks is a steal.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

alf_pogs posted:

the other extended horror universe that kind of rocks is Benson and Moorhead

This is like describing a series of acid trips as a cinematic universe because they all happened within the same brain.

And I fully mean that as a compliment

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Skrillmub posted:

It's actually a bundle of the five DreadX collection games, which are like horror anthologies. They gave a bunch of indie developers a few days to make a small spook and put them together into one game.
They're pretty good overall. The whole set for just a few bucks is a steal.

I can vouch, this is a steal for all the DreadX stuff. All the 'mini games' in each of them are generally pretty good (or at least creative), and the bundle would be worth it at quadruple the price. If you like short horror games and you haven't played these, I would strongly recommend jumping on this if you can.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Waching Senritsu Kaiki File Kowa Sugi File, and I'm kinda confused where the short spin-off movies should go in my watch order. Like, I assume chronogically but the internet is very unclear when some of these were actually released (Kudo's Secret is listed as both 2012 and 2014 depending on where you look, for instance). Is there a recommended order to these or, hell, even just a place with more detailed and reliable release dates?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
#1: Senritsu 1 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-01【口裂け女捕獲作戦】)
#2: Kudo's Secret
#3: Senritsu 2 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-02【震える幽霊】)
#4: To the other side
#5: Anna Ishibashi
#6: Senritsu 3 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-03【人喰い河童伝説】)
#7: Goodbye
#8: Senritsu 4 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-04【真相!トイレの花子さん】)
#9: Mystery Man
#10: Senritsu 5 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!劇場版・序章【真説・四谷怪談 お岩の呪い】)
#11: Her Brother
#12: Senritsu 6 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!史上最恐の劇場版)
#13: Shimokita
#14: Senritsu 7 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!最終章)
#15: Message from Beyond

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Docetic Mountain posted:

Waching Senritsu Kaiki File Kowa Sugi File, and I'm kinda confused where the short spin-off movies should go in my watch order. Like, I assume chronogically but the internet is very unclear when some of these were actually released (Kudo's Secret is listed as both 2012 and 2014 depending on where you look, for instance). Is there a recommended order to these or, hell, even just a place with more detailed and reliable release dates?

e; beaten by that cooler poster above, here's the few additions

#16: Senritsu 8
#17: Rest
#18: Senritsu 9
#19: Please

e2: then you're ready for Welcome to the Occult Forest

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Occult was great, I loved the last shot but all of the leech stuff really freaked me out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My favorite part of Occult will always be the unexpected role of Indiana Jones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I'll be honest I'm disappointed that its not a sequel to Shin Godzilla.

Leaving us on that tail cliffhanger was dirty, but also peak Anno so :shrug:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My favorite part of Occult will always be the unexpected role of Indiana Jones.

speaking of things that have made me scream "it's hell it's hell"'

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Horror thread, I need your help!

I'm trying to track down copies (either physical or, preferably, digital) of Koji Shiraishi's two Ada films (Part One and Part Two). Anyone have a line on these?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Ever seen a (very slow) film called "Only Lovers Left Alive"?

I don't remember much about it, but it really captured the boredom/depression side of being an immortal vamp and I remember Tom Hiddleston's character buying expensive memorabilia and generally despairing at the dullness of being alive for so long. But at last they have other immortals to relate to

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

Ever seen a (very slow) film called "Only Lovers Left Alive"?

I don't remember much about it, but it really captured the boredom/depression side of being an immortal vamp and I remember Tom Hiddleston's character buying expensive memorabilia and generally despairing at the dullness of being alive for so long. But at last they have other immortals to relate to

Yes! Interesting take on the vampire story.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Only Lovers Left Alive is my fav Jarmusch flick. Tho it barely beats out Ghost Dog

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ghost Dog edges it out for me but OLLA loving rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.