Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Saw this and thought of thread

Also the fact that it looks like a loss edit is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, I can't. Our clawfoot tub is a little over knee height and flares outward, and to get out of it without the grab bar, I'd have to bend way over, grab the rolled edge, straddle it, then swing the other foot over and stand up. Built-in tubs aren't usually that tall.

If you're bending over anyway, I would simply somersault out of it like a true chad

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cat Hatter posted:

I once saw an adult film that basically turned into an infomercial for bathroom grab bars halfway through. They were in the shower and most of the dialogue became "and if you have this bar you can do it like this...then you can grab this other bar and do it like this...or you can open the shower door and grab the bar attached to the toilet and do this". It was bizarre but persuasive.

Not gonna lie, the ads they run on network television for extra tall jet tubs with a seat and a door are starting to look appealing.
Same. As it happens, I'm going to the orthopedist this afternoon to discuss a knee replacement.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'd be worried that installing grab bars would just encourage people to pull the walls over on themselves.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's OK. The walls are reinforced by miles of pre-stressed wires and stiffened with giant conduits. The real concern is anchoring the grab bars to the foam, one good yank and they'll just come off with a comical puffball of powdery fluff attached to each end.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Load-bearing grab bars you can hold on to to reinforce the frame during storms.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cat Hatter posted:

I once saw an adult film that basically turned into an infomercial for bathroom grab bars halfway through. They were in the shower and most of the dialogue became "and if you have this bar you can do it like this...then you can grab this other bar and do it like this...or you can open the shower door and grab the bar attached to the toilet and do this". It was bizarre but persuasive.

An old guy lived (and then died) in my house before I bought it and he had some mobility issues. Consequently there were 6 grab bars in the 35sqft bathroom and I left all the ones in the shower (mostly just because it would look like poo poo if I removed from from the fiberglass shower surround) and they're...honestly really nice to have? I do tend to hang onto one as I am stepping and in out of the shower, and there is one that is in the perfect place to hold on to while leaning into the water. The shower also has two seats, which I highly recommend to anybody in the process of installing or remodeling their bathroom.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sirotan posted:

An old guy lived (and then died) in my house before I bought it and he had some mobility issues. Consequently there were 6 grab bars in the 35sqft bathroom and I left all the ones in the shower (mostly just because it would look like poo poo if I removed from from the fiberglass shower surround) and they're...honestly really nice to have? I do tend to hang onto one as I am stepping and in out of the shower, and there is one that is in the perfect place to hold on to while leaning into the water. The shower also has two seats, which I highly recommend to anybody in the process of installing or remodeling their bathroom.

Yeah we are redoing a bathroom and building a little bench across the end of the shower opposite the head. It’s tiled, not a fiberglass shell, so pretty easy to incorporate. I dunno that I’ll ever want to just like sit there but it’s convenient for a number of things. My wife wanted it to ease shaving in particular.

Wasn’t planning on a railing as we aren’t that decrepit yet but now I’m thinking a little about preemptively adding one…

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'll just take one of my building site plastic chairs in there and sit on that

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah we are redoing a bathroom and building a little bench across the end of the shower opposite the head. It’s tiled, not a fiberglass shell, so pretty easy to incorporate. I dunno that I’ll ever want to just like sit there but it’s convenient for a number of things. My wife wanted it to ease shaving in particular.

Wasn’t planning on a railing as we aren’t that decrepit yet but now I’m thinking a little about preemptively adding one…

I realize this sounds cliché as hell but honestly I find myself doing some of my best thinking while sitting in the shower. After a long stressful day it is the best way to destress and cogitate on whatever issue I have or future project I need to plan. I dunno, it's just very relaxing.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sitting in the shower will only ever make me think of the Reply All episode where it is revealed that Alex sits in the shower

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Little plastic stool in a dull tiled wetroom, no real shower just a hose with a spray head.

It's a mood.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I could sit down in the shower then I would stay in there for far too long.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have one small grab bar that has a removable shelf insert, added when I had bathroom Remodeled. The lead guy said it would be dumb not to add something like it with the wall down, added reinforcement behind it. Added nothing to the job cost except for the $50 part.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

goatface posted:

Little plastic stool in a dull tiled wetroom, no real shower just a hose with a spray head.

It's a mood.

A very Buffalo Bill mood

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

no loving way he is going to be able to dig a barement now

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll just take one of my building site plastic chairs in there and sit on that

Trying to laugh it off, but can't resist the compulsion to add fully optimized grab bars and seats.

He had grown to hate what he was building, hate what it had become, hate what it was causing him to become. But there was no escape. When had he lost control? Had he ever been in control? Had he laid solid foundations, or had he only brushed off the dust from the eternal chains which tie him to his prison?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Realised i missed a few more wiring bits. Gonna have to remove some lids. Couple of switches should have had two live lines, for indoor light and outdoor light. Also smoke alarm in hallway, that one was easy to add back in though. For now I'm just gonna stuff everything in the trunks though and get them covered up as...

Man coming to assess first fit electrics on Tuesday morning. So we shall see.

Decided to change the sinky toilet box thing. Can't reliably find a low enough slung in wall cistern so basin will now sit on a legless extruded timber box thing and the back bit will just go up a bit higher. like wicker basket in it or something to put all the crap. hmmm actually need to check theres suitably sized basket available before I finalise dimensions.

So once I bolt that to the wall and floor a million times hopefully, and I don't think I'm wrong to largely rely on hope at this point for most things, the sticky out bit with the basin on will be well enough supported by the four uprights next to it. If not, I'll drill through all the way into the guest bedroom and install grab handles on the back side of the wall and put up a sign saying don't fill the sink unless theres someone on the other side holding the bracing handles.

get wood

darren, the manager at wickes is loving gormless. I could just walk out with things from there without paying and tell him its fine and he'd accept it. Something weird is going on there if he really is, as they all insist, the boss.

design doesnt quite survive reality of course what with the waste pipe to deal with and wonky walls, scruffy floors and whatnottery. Same end result.

much the same in the en suite, but 10cm narrower cos I made the shower 10cm wider here for all the seating I plan to drag in there.

Unrelated but something else odd I noticed today is a weird sort of stain around the bottom of all the wall straps on the external walls.

Some sort of moisture thing I guess? Or some weird unexpected chemical reaction between two commonly installed elements in every house in the country? I'm sure its nothing.

Or terrible.

Then my elderly neighbours came round, not with a cup of tea but a can of beer.

He doesn't drink, and if this is whats in his fridge I can see why.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is the UK immune from the unbelievable stupidity surrounding Bud Lite in the US? If so I envy your innocence where it's just piss beer and not an icon of the culture wars

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

er... oh dear yeah I think so. Like I say my neighbours are in their 80s and dont really have the internet.

Like I can imagine a bud light isnt a real manly pickup driving all american can of beer.

But as we all know when it comes to pickups, I drive a fiat panda.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Is the UK immune from the unbelievable stupidity surrounding Bud Lite in the US? If so I envy your innocence where it's just piss beer and not an icon of the culture wars

It's just another generic piss beer around here as far as I'm aware.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever drink a bud lite in the uk.

Normal bud is light enough.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Man coming to assess first fit electrics on Tuesday morning. So we shall see.

Will this be live-streamed?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It is surprising to me they even sell Bud Light in the UK, or it’s readily available enough for your neighbor to just pick some up. Nothing to do with politics just thought it was an American focused product. Yes Budweiser is available and known all corners of the earth.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i thought terf island would've gotten rid of any bud lights by now, maybe that's why they're giving it to you

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I can only imagine that someone brought that round for a BBQ one day and they left it there. I have only had bud light once but never again.

Interesting story about poo poo lager, I was going for a bit of a long walk and eventually got to a pub that only did fosters but it was cold and fancied a cold pint.

A poo poo lager on a hot as gently caress day when you are thirsty does hit the spot, I don’t know if it is because it is pretty much water or not but since then always done this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I usually go for a nice bitter shandy in those situations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's time for a nice crisp cider imo

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I prefer a radler to a shandy but sure

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
We've got some friends that visit from England and they love trying all of the different poo poo beers I can find for them. I procure only the most artisanal of poo poo beers now that they've tried the usual suspects.

My crowning achievement was making them try "Mountain Brew," a beer that was brewed and sold by a chain of gas stations and was about as sweet as Mountain Dew. Unfortunately they stopped selling it but you used to be able to get a pallet of of for like $20.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Come to install tile backer boards in the bathroom and been reminded of what an utterly poo poo job the screeders have made of the floor. Ffs. They texted me after to get a review which I snorted at derisively, but I'm pissed off enough now to go back and leave one.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

No sign of the electrics guy, blown up the drill mixing up tile adhesive and the backer boards won't stick to the wall, going to smash the poo poo out of something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm smashing the poo poo out of that like button

e. in my home where backer boards are attached to wooden studs we'd use screws, I assume you're trying to stick them using some sort of glue that won't stick to the weird ultralight foam brick things?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 11, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

I assume you're trying to

Dangerous thread for this

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like you didn't prime the block work properly. Are you using s1 flex rapid set adhesive? Not that you need much flex with the pilings...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah I'm installing hardie backer boards onto the blockwork to take the tiles. From googling nutters on forums they eventually argued their way to just using the same tile adhesive to fix up the backer boards as to fix up the tiles. So I did that. Yeah I used flex rapid set stuff.

Also they said not to prime the blockwork with PVA or whatever so I didn't, not particularly because I valued the opinion but because it was less stuff to do.

All they said was to wet the blocks a lot as they soak up water like nobody's business.

So I caked the whole back of a board in the gunk and slapped it up but it flops and flexs away from the wall. So I used some plasterboard screws and washers to screw it up into place. As long as you don't overtighten them it works, then the adhesive will set and its all good I guess. Annoyingly there is a thing called a spanker dowel which is essentially the same thing but much funnier sounding I could have used if I'd have known.

got some more done

but then stalled out a bit as I'm unsure what to do with the electronic data lines down for the controllers. I'd just chiselled out tiny narrow/shallow chases to run them in and adhesive straight over but...

I accidentally rtfm

Now i dunno, should I put them in a conduit so they can be pulled out?

the connectors on the end are big fuckers

and won't fit down a normal conduit.

I dunno.

Also finished off the boxing in for the final WC down the other end. This one needs a box all the way up to run a soil pipe up to a vent in the roof. I wasn't sure if i needed to do this as building regs are weird and its like I dunno 1 in 5 houses need this. It could be you?!?!?

But I do need it as I'm on my own self container sewer pump so otherwise I could blow myself up/gas myself.

And heres the wiring tidied away into the trunking for my non visit.

Also note the data baskets, car charger fat black conduit and ventilation pipe runs all neatly contained in the triangle service runs.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

drat those service triangles look good, yum yum yum

Highly recommended that you prime any surface before using tile adhesive on it (actual primer not PVA). The primer is cheap as if you get it from a tiler supply shop. Hell I primed the backs of the backer boards as well and they stuck really well. Your backer boards may be only attached with dry wall screws to a low density block wall which might end badly...

Also I dot and dabbed the backer boards, but I was going onto uneven 100 year old brick work rather than flat block work.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah. I should have primed it. SInking feeling. Now its do I carry on doing it wrong to be consitently... wrong. Or prime from now on and know that some wasn't.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Really pissed myself off now. What an idiot. Ordered primer from Toolstation to pickup tomorrow morning. Might tear all that back down and start again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Really pissed myself off now. What an idiot. Ordered primer from Toolstation to pickup tomorrow morning. Might tear all that back down and start again.

From the sounds of it it might not require much by way of tearing to come down.