Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Valentin posted:

e: uraraka's bid to toga fundamentally being like "you were always jealous of me, the normal girl, but actually i was jealous of you because you seemed so happy when you were stabbing me" just doesn't quite land and imo just doesn't really address any of the stuff that made toga's plot interesting or worthwhile (also the ochako likes seeing people smile stuff always felt like a very slapdash patch on the way more interesting "i'm going pro hero so i can make some money for my family" stuff that gets floated for her early then dropped extremely hard), so i'm curious if it goes further from here or if this big speech is our emotional climax here

I think you can interpret it as Uraraka being jealous of how open and honest Toga can be about who she is, when Uraraka has struggled with bottling up her feelings the whole manga.

Mymla posted:

Can't wait for Uraraka to end up marrying Toga because "I can fix her" weighs heavier than "he's cute".

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mymla posted:

Can't wait for Uraraka to end up marrying Toga because "I can fix her" weighs heavier than "he's cute".

Uraraka: I can fix her

Toga: I can make her worse

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

happy for them

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vinylshadow posted:

This is how successful marriages work

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vinylshadow posted:

The UraGa DeKugo polycule is one step closer to reality.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Nephthys posted:

I think you can interpret it as Uraraka being jealous of how open and honest Toga can be about who she is, when Uraraka has struggled with bottling up her feelings the whole manga.

I don't think that interpretation sticks the landing since Toga's flashbacks has shown multiple times that she cannot suppress her urges because of her quirk. It would be akin to Uraraka being envious of someone who has a quirk that forces them to confess their undying love. She can be envious of that if she wants, but it seems to be a moot point.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
yeah the conclusion to this non-arc isn't landing for me. almost feels like uraraka is just throwing word salad at toga until she finds something that sticks

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, I thought you guys were just memeing about the whole Toga and Uraraka ship thing, but no, this was the most passionate Uraraka was towards anyone this entire manga.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Flair posted:

I don't think that interpretation sticks the landing since Toga's flashbacks has shown multiple times that she cannot suppress her urges because of her quirk. It would be akin to Uraraka being envious of someone who has a quirk that forces them to confess their undying love. She can be envious of that if she wants, but it seems to be a moot point.

A teenager being irrationally jealous? Say it ain't so!

I think there's definitely a parallel between Toga being jealous of Uraraka for being able to freely love without being judged and Uraraka not being able to openly love because of her insecurities and therefore being jealous of Toga freely expressing herself. It may not be the strongest link given how stretched out Uraraka's romance plot has been but I do think it's there.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
weird chapter bc i really like toga but the comic was never going to deliver on her thing well enough. about what i expected, would likely have worked better if uraraka had done anything in the past however many hundreds of chapters

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheHan posted:

yeah the conclusion to this non-arc isn't landing for me. almost feels like uraraka is just throwing word salad at toga until she finds something that sticks

:yeah:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheHan posted:

Same energy as her "let Deku come back to school speech". Can't wait to be confounded by edit in the anime.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Woah wait a sec, they hosed up Uraraka's speech in the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

oh jay posted:

Same energy as her "let Deku come back to school speech". Can't wait to be confounded by edit in the anime.

Wait, what was wrong with her speech in the anime? Near as I can tell it was identical to the manga version (at least in the subbed version, can’t speak for the dub)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 10, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It was adapted "fine", I guess. The scoring was a little over the top even if you were a fan. But I've always thought the scene was ridiculous and contrived just to give her something to do, and the anime did nothing to change my opinion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, I guess I had better start the arduous task of catching up from where I stopped....last march jesus

The good part is I don't need to refresh myself on anything because Nothing Was loving Happening Anyway

E: WHY THE gently caress IS THE SCHOOL IN THE SKY

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 12, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jesus I forgot Shigaraki shrugging off the plasma cannon powered by character development and Bakugou loving dying were back to back.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
LETS GO LESBIANS!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus I forgot Shigaraki shrugging off the plasma cannon powered by character development and Bakugou loving dying were back to back.

We're almost at a year since Bakugo died, I think

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FireWorksWell posted:

We're almost at a year since Bakugo died, I think
It's okay he's getting better

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Horikoshi's just been busting out every character that's ever been in the manga to have their ultimately ineffectual moment and it's getting really repetitive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Horikoshi's just been busting out every character that's ever been in the manga to have their ultimately ineffectual moment and it's getting really repetitive

I don't think there's any particular reason to assume this particular moment is going to be ineffectual?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman is catching up on old chapters

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Is there anyone after Toga that needs to have resolution before Shigaraki? I'm hoping we're reaching the end for real soon. I'm just so tired of this hero academia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Waffleman is catching up on old chapters

Oh. Well, uh, I didn't actually say that, being wrong was part of my master plan all along, not it was YOU who failed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I am actually now all caught up and love it when shonen authors are so bad at writing romance between their hero and heroine that they make them accidentally gay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I am actually now all caught up and love it when shonen authors are so bad at writing romance between their hero and heroine that they make them accidentally gay

Look, declaring you love someone's smile and that you want to spend the rest of your life exchanging bodily fluids with them is perfectly normal, I do it with all my friends.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Is there anyone after Toga that needs to have resolution before Shigaraki? I'm hoping we're reaching the end for real soon. I'm just so tired of this hero academia.

all for one and stain versus one for all

another few months spent with the world’s least interesting badman

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Waffleman speedrunning the exact same reaction this thread had over last year in 4 posts was pretty funny, ngl.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

Tbf he used to be really cool

“Evil mentor that is genuinely interested in his protégé’s success” was a fantastic hook imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Waffleman speedrunning the exact same reaction this thread had over last year in 4 posts was pretty funny, ngl.

I wasn't expecting it to go so quick, but I guess you can read a lot of manga in an hour lunch

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Oxxidation posted:

Hey you know what, I completely forgot all for one existed. Wow. And gigantomachia is involved with that one too. Just completely left my mind until just now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait did AfO not already die

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's gonna be a hoot when the anime gets there.

Though the pacing for that will probably be better since it won't trickle out over years.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait did AfO not already die

yes, but he lived

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CharlestonJew posted:

Tbf he used to be really cool

“Evil mentor that is genuinely interested in his protégé’s success” was a fantastic hook imo

It was also always fake as all hell and Shigaraki was clearly his final vengeance against All Might. He probably legitimately did not expect to ver be free, but he was never interested in Shigiraki's success anything more than an extension of All for One's whole thing. In contrast to All Might actually mentoring and encouraging Izuku to grow into his own sort of hero.

All for One sold it incredibly well, but I at least was always sure he was on some level full of poo poo, Shigaraki as a successor is the only chance he has and fits his petty rear end in a top hat nature, not some legitimate desire for mentorship.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

so it's like Naruto

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Spoilers for newest chapter are out and Ladies is it gay when the honest trust and acceptance of a woman quells your lifelong self hatred and bloodlust and replaces it with real love of both yourself and her? Is it gay when she offers up a sacrifice of herself to sustain you and allow you to really connect with one another?

is it gay to reassure your naked gal pal clinging to you that to you she is the cutest in the whole world?

I'd argue....yes.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 12, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Did anyone ever actually post the translated chapter this week?

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-393/chapter/39634?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018283

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fabricated posted:

so it's like Naruto

Green Naruto....