Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is it even trees that you are removing or just weeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

Is it even trees that you are removing or just weeds?

I’m fairly sure it’s buckthorn. There are also mulberries but I’m not loving with those. I’ll take my chances with tree law since they’re growing between my privacy fence and the immediately adjacent neighbor’s chain link.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's the best way to get about 20cuft of soil for a raised bed, a big stack o' bags?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

What's the best way to get about 20cuft of soil for a raised bed, a big stack o' bags?

You're not likely to get less than a yard delivered by any materials place (20 cu ft is about 3/4 yard) but it's a very shovelable amount. Anyone with a pickup truck or a trailer would be able to move that easily if you have a soil place nearby.

Stack 'o bags is of course possible, but likely the most expensive way.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get a yard delivered and put the rest in some pots or a yard low spot or w/e imo. stack o bags is likely the most annoying way

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

You're not likely to get less than a yard delivered by any materials place (20 cu ft is about 3/4 yard) but it's a very shovelable amount. Anyone with a pickup truck or a trailer would be able to move that easily if you have a soil place nearby.

Stack 'o bags is of course possible, but likely the most expensive way.

About half of the places around here will make deliveries under a yard, but after delivery fees it isn't much cheaper than buying it in bags if you're getting that little. May be worth it anyway to not have to lug it around.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I was surprised buying mulch by the yard/scoop at a landscape supply was not much cheaper than buying bags. Considering the landscape supply was 40 minutes away and not open Sunday or Saturday PM, bags from Lowe's 10 minutes away works fine for me.

If you're gonna get bags (and 20cu. ft is not that much really) get a couple bags of Black Kow or the mushroom compost to top whatever you get with. My Lowe's usually has something called 'composted organic humus' which is basically rotted pine bark with a little sand and manure and it's real cheap and makes a decent base if you mix in some peat moss and Black Kow. The peat moss and pine bark are both fairly acidic, so be generous with the lime your first year too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My Lowe's usually has something called 'composted organic humus' which is basically rotted pine bark with a little sand and manure and it's real cheap and makes a decent base if you mix in some peat moss and Black Kow. The peat moss and pine bark are both fairly acidic, so be generous with the lime your first year too.
can you leave out the lime if you're growing blueberries?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tunicate posted:

can you leave out the lime if you're growing blueberries?
Yeah for sure. Even without liming I’ve grown plenty of stuff in that mix, you just might have problems with things that prefer basic or very neutral soils. Most plants do fine in acidic soil but would be a bit happier in more neutral soil. Some plants are very picky about pH and really like more neutral or basic soil. They might be problematic in that mix but I don’t know anything about them because all the dirt here is real acidic and I’m not gonna fight it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son came in yesterday and said, "If you just sat down and told me where to plant, would you like to garden?"

He did and I did. I have chronic health conditions. My son is the best. Now I have a bed full of flower seeds and a few simple veggies.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lol @ One Green World thinking a recently shipped plant is going to stop looking like poo poo, let alone show new growth in ten days.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That Old Ganon posted:

Lol @ One Green World thinking a recently shipped plant is going to stop looking like poo poo, let alone show new growth in ten days.

It has happened for me once or twice

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Learned today that OGW's guarantee is only ten (10) days. I bought a couple honeyberry bushes to replace the slew of dead blueberry bushes, and the Blue Hokkaido (left) is looking like poo poo compared to the Keiko (right) I bought with it. They were both in the same box.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My son came in yesterday and said, "If you just sat down and told me where to plant, would you like to garden?"

He did and I did. I have chronic health conditions. My son is the best. Now I have a bed full of flower seeds and a few simple veggies.
That's pretty sweet :3:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is really sweet

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
got absolutely ravaged by slugs last year. These pricks were everywhere and all the beer traps in the world barely dented them.

Did my research and every time I found a wolf spider in my yard (or house :colbert:) I transplanted it to the garden.

NO SLUGS THIS YEAR.

Biological warfare

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Szechwan posted:

got absolutely ravaged by slugs last year. These pricks were everywhere and all the beer traps in the world barely dented them.

Did my research and every time I found a wolf spider in my yard (or house :colbert:) I transplanted it to the garden.

NO SLUGS THIS YEAR.

Biological warfare

Have you tried Sluggo, because the house spiders you’re moving will probably just die outside, but the ones in the yard will eat well hopefully. Sluggo is Iron Phosphate and is something naturally occurring in your soil and is approved for organic gardening. It gets very wet here, so I use it about once a year on a wet day in the veggie beds and I’m good for the season.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Sluggo is lit

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
squirrels ate my dads tomatoes. recommendations to keep them away?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

samcarsten posted:

you ever watch A Christmas Story?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

you ever watch A Christmas Story?

That's right, release the hounds

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I think Caddyshack is the more appropriate varmint parable

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Conibear traps, a large dog, not putting out bird food, and an air rifle holds them at bay for me

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

We have deer, chipmunks, squirrels and birds that eat practically every vegetable we grow outside of hot peppers (and the birds even eat some of those), so we went the nuclear route of paying someone to build a massive cage over our main vegetable bed. So far it has kept everything out, but it's probably only a matter of time until a chipmunk figures out how to burrow in there.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Speaking of annoying critters, we have a rabbit that keeps digging holes in our front yard. I filled one and put some seed over it, so it dug a new one. Filled that one, and it dug up the original again. Any tips for chasing it away? Does stuff like this repellent actually work?

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Jhet posted:

Have you tried Sluggo, because the house spiders you’re moving will probably just die outside, but the ones in the yard will eat well hopefully. Sluggo is Iron Phosphate and is something naturally occurring in your soil and is approved for organic gardening. It gets very wet here, so I use it about once a year on a wet day in the veggie beds and I’m good for the season.

I have, although I was admittedly hesitant to spread it around food plants

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Speaking of annoying critters, we have a rabbit that keeps digging holes in our front yard. I filled one and put some seed over it, so it dug a new one. Filled that one, and it dug up the original again. Any tips for chasing it away? Does stuff like this repellent actually work?

you’re gonna have to catch him and move him, or kill him, or hope that somebody/something else kills him

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My experience with gardening this year has taught me that actually i hate rabbits. My yard has moles also but they haven’t been interested in the garden area. At my old house our neighborhood was filled with snakes and possums, nary a bunny to be found. It was great

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

My experience with gardening this year has taught me that actually i hate rabbits. My yard has moles also but they haven’t been interested in the garden area. At my old house our neighborhood was filled with snakes and possums, nary a bunny to be found. It was great

tall trees

tall trees bring hawks

hawks bring the cleansing

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We had rabbits at our old house and they are incredibly persistent, especially if they pick a spot as a burrow or warren. We even put hardware cloth around the bottom of the fence we had and one rabbit in particular just chewed through it all.

Using blood meal as a soil amendment helps, spreading hair clippings around helps, but they'll basically get used to anything repellent pretty quickly.

Edit:

Ok Comboomer posted:

tall trees

tall trees bring hawks

hawks bring the cleansing

Either a no cost relo or a dirt nap. We have several birds of prey in our woods and the squirrel (and cat) population is usually pretty brief. I don't think I've ever seen a rabbit out here.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I put up a very ratchet cage made of chicken wire and used some stakes to bury the line. Rabbits have not gotten in since and the squirrel population in my new hood is pretty low.

My volunteer squash has resulted in two mystery plants that are probably zucchini and some yellow squash, transplanted onto my fence line and doing ok. The single squash seedling that I kept in my actual garden has gotten enormous and I think is going to provide me with the banana squash I intended to grow in the first place, which is nice. Meanwhile my tomato plants have been doing pretty well, the grape one is indeterminate and sprawling out everywhere. Will post some pixxx later

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, hawks are probably better to have around than lynx and bobcats.

Vvvvv top them or train horizontal, I guess?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 12, 2023

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What do I do once my indeterminate tomatoes are at the top of my trellis / netting? It's 8 ft tall right now...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

samcarsten posted:

Now that they know that there is a food source there they will keep coming back, and nothing short of completely eliminating them or completely eliminating their ability to get to the tomatoes will stop them.

Basically you can either kill the squirrels or completely and throughly exclude them. There is no in-between.

Of the two exclusion is the better long term solution and has the benefit of keeping other critters away, but it is a daunting project to pull off mid-season. You need to use chicken wire or hardware cloth (bird netting is useless because they will chew through it) and build a support structure to keep it off of the plants. Be sure to leave a way to easily get inside of it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

What do I do once my indeterminate tomatoes are at the top of my trellis / netting? It's 8 ft tall right now...

I trained my kabocha squash up a six foot trellis last year and it grew up that, down the back, across the yard and up the trellis of the same size I had originally planted cucumbers on. Just poke the vines where you want them and if you don't want them cut them off

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I just run them laterally at that point. You end up with hilarious tomato panels until something breaks.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I may have planted my tomatoes too close together / let them split (2 maybe 3) times too many.... :f5:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Tomatespalier

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Spikes32 posted:

I may have planted my tomatoes too close together / let them split (2 maybe 3) times too many.... :f5:

They don't get upset when you prune them.

I say that of course and i have another massive sprawling sun gold for the third straight year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Spikes32 posted:

My wife loves to grow as many kinds of tomatoes as possible, so we plant at 15” spacing and prune extensively for airflow. The plants are probably slightly less vigorous overall but we still harvest dozens of pounds every year.