Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

sebmojo posted:

The idea of putting ten billion people into ships is completely absurd but idk if that's an author not understanding numbers thing or John being John.

I think that's just John being John with his messianic complex and retroactive justification of omnicide that's had 10,000 years to fester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

The idea of putting ten billion people into ships is completely absurd but idk if that's an author not understanding numbers thing or John being John.

It's John being John -- he spend the entire time telling everybody that the FTL project is clearly an impractical fake, there's no way it can possibly work at a scale large enough to save everybody and never connects the dots that the cryogenic project was also clearly an impractical fake and can't work at a scale large enough to save everybody.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That tracks, yeah.

He's such an amazing character, all sort of kind and frazzled and humble but also Galactically Evil, but also also regular evil in how he uses the first qualities to pretend to be be good

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Also he is definitely not sorry

Only sorry he was only able to stop one of the escaping ships

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pseudorandom name posted:

It's John being John -- he spend the entire time telling everybody that the FTL project is clearly an impractical fake, there's no way it can possibly work at a scale large enough to save everybody and never connects the dots that the cryogenic project was also clearly an impractical fake and can't work at a scale large enough to save everybody.

Sure, but the cryogenic project probably would have saved more people if they'd gotten it to work. Nothing short of, well, John actually being God and saving Earth was going to save everybody.

Instead the billionaires apparently hijacked and redirected the resources from the cryogenic project toward building FTL ships to save themselves, their most loyal servants and a bunch of their stuff while leaving the rest of humanity to choke on sewage air

I can get John's mindset. I get why even after 10,000 years he still loving hates them. It's a completely human thing. Which is why humans should never play (or be) God.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Everyone posted:

Sure, but the cryogenic project probably would have saved more people if they'd gotten it to work. Nothing short of, well, John actually being God and saving Earth was going to save everybody.

Instead the billionaires apparently hijacked and redirected the resources from the cryogenic project toward building FTL ships to save themselves, their most loyal servants and a bunch of their stuff while leaving the rest of humanity to choke on sewage air

I can get John's mindset. I get why even after 10,000 years he still loving hates them. It's a completely human thing. Which is why humans should never play (or be) God.

No, the billionaires abandoned the cryogenics project because FTL actually worked so they didn't need it. They were never going to build any additional ships for the hoi polloi.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

Do you know who else saved himself, his most loyal servants and a bunch of his stuff while killing the rest of humanity?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Robo Reagan posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the genocidal maniac John...

John is “you know I am sensitive to the holocaust BUT”

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

John is “you know I am sensitive to the holocaust BUT”

... if it wasn't for John, the only humans in the universe would be the descendants of the billionaires, but because of John there are two clades of humanity.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Everyone posted:

Sure, but the cryogenic project probably would have saved more people if they'd gotten it to work.

. Not very many. Nona is pretty clear that John’s powers were pretty localized and required personal attention, except when he juiced them with a big shot of thanergy by loving murdering a ton of living things. The nun even spells it out for him; he can’t possibly get anywhere by curing cancer one human at a time, but he never applies that logic to his cryo-plan.

Even if he hadn’t gone full genocide, his final plan was probably something almost as horrific like killing half the planet to save the other half.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

pseudorandom name posted:

... if it wasn't for John, the only humans in the universe would be the descendants of the billionaires, but because of John there are two clades of humanity.

It kind of seems like the descendants of the billionaires would be doing just fine without John, because the billionaires have all been dead for ten thousand years.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

It kind of seems like the descendants of the billionaires would be doing just fine without John, because the billionaires have all been dead for ten thousand years.

life on return to battle of the planet of the billionaires in Nona doesn't really seem like roses and sunshine either tbh

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
dang there were so many new posts in the thread I thought there was a cover reveal or something.

On balance I don't think John handled things any better or worse than the average human would—which is to say, most of us handle extraordinary things in a regretable way, if only due to sheer shock or inexperience. But that sort of presumes he's a reliable narrator, and there are little details in Nona that make me think he's fudged his version of the story a lot. On the other hand, "John is actually more horrible than previously thought" wouldn't be much of a revelation—my pet theory is that there is some fundamental aspect of the universe he's lying about. Whether it's the amount of time passed, the nature of the river, or something else. A game changer.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
there's also the possibility that he's painting himself as a bigger monster than he is out of survivors guilt. I don't think it's particularly likely but it's possible

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Saraiguma posted:

life on return to battle of the planet of the billionaires in Nona doesn't really seem like roses and sunshine either tbh

John being real angry that it's been ten thousand years and a multitude of other planets and IT'S THE SAME loving SOCIETY, THE BILLIONAIRES AND THEIR DESCENDENTS JUST SOMEHOW REBUILT THE OLD SOCIETY THAT KILLED EARTH from what we've seen of things feels... not fair, as such, but comprehensible. Because that's at least a lot of what it looks like happened, things don't feel like they changed enough. So that wound was never going to heal for him even if it could.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

FuturePastNow posted:

Not to defend the literal genocide of humanity, or many horrible things that happened afterward, but it's also a question of "what if you gave a normal human the power of God, then betrayed them and pushed them past the breaking point?" and I think the result isn't surprising at all.

Starting to sound like that Japanese cartoon with the robots

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Goffer posted:

get in the lyctor, shinji

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Sitting Here posted:

dang there were so many new posts in the thread I thought there was a cover reveal or something.
I'm holding out hope that someone in the marketing department is cheeky enough to wait until the Barbie movie premiers to drop the cover. Or anything really, even one of those "On this day we'll reveal the release date". A release date for a release date, if you will.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kesper North posted:

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Kesper North posted:

Deus apate, major

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Do you know who else saved himself, his most loyal servants and a bunch of his stuff while killing the rest of humanity?

To be semi-fair John saved himself and maybe some of his stuff, but he killed everybody else. He just brought some of them back to life, too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kesper North posted:

Ironically, this is the only time "I'll get in your mum" is an appropriate response.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Saraiguma posted:

That planet's currently occupied by the Cohort and is suffering from overcrowding and scarcity due to a refugee crisis caused by the imperialists murdering liveable planets with death magic, not fair to pin that on the people. We haven't really seen how their society might work when they're not embroiled in a forever war with a narcissistic Twitch streamer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

cptn_dr posted:

Ironically, this is the only time "I'll get in your mum" is an appropriate response.

What's your mum's name

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cows watch sunsets, you know?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Everyone posted:

Sure, but the cryogenic project probably would have saved more people if they'd gotten it to work.
Realistically, probably not.

Even if you have physics defying freeze/thaw, getting even a couple thousand people's worth of mass to a different star along with something to thaw them is a harder problem than building enough sealed habitats for all of humanity nearby. Space is big.

Physics defying FTL is a much better pick if you want to maximize people transported, transport is just also a poor solution

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Saraiguma posted:

It doesn't seem like sunshine and rainbows because they are at war with a bunch of necromancers who also killed a ton of other nearby planets causing a refugee crisis. also the Resurrection Beast. None of that external strife would exist without John's actions. We have no idea what their society would look like.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Goffer posted:

You're going to need to be a touch more specific.

I just reread the confession scene between Harrow and John. It's clear that John cares about Harrow and really does want to help her, but there's this weird undercurrent of admiration for what her parents did with a further undercurrent of "I'm gonna have to take a crack at that myself to get some really souped-up Lyctors."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Evangelion, I'm guessing? And yeah good catch.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Reclaimer posted:

That planet's currently occupied by the Cohort and is suffering from overcrowding and scarcity due to a refugee crisis caused by the imperialists murdering liveable planets with death magic, not fair to pin that on the people. We haven't really seen how their society might work when they're not embroiled in a forever war with a narcissistic Twitch streamer.

twitch streamer? please, john is clearly a cspam poster

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harrow question: So I've been listening to the book in irregular chunks so I'm sure I missed something but was it seeing Gideon's eyes in Harrow's face that made Augustine and Mercy realize Perfect Lyctorhood was a Thing or something else? The follow up question is why didn't Jon want the Lyctors to be perfected but I'm guessing he was afraid of making more Alectors, maybe?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whether it's perfect or just "I didn't have to kill my best friend" which amounts to the same thing, yes that's pretty much it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Mercy and Cristabel were married, and then Cristabel formed a suicide pact with Augustine's brother because nobody wanted to eat their best friend and use their soul as fuel for the next myriad. Finding out they didn't have to die would make someone pretty mad.

Also as for which of the A's Augustine is I feel like after listening to Nona again that Alfred was the scientist and Augustine was the finance bro who came in later. But that hardly matters since the people they were post-resurrection isn't the same as they were at the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Mercy and Cristabel were married, and then Cristabel formed a suicide pact with Augustine's brother because nobody wanted to eat their best friend and use their soul as fuel for the next myriad. Finding out they didn't have to die would make someone pretty mad.

I didn't catch that at the time but remember it now. The 'under pressure' bit meaning Augustine and Mercy had to hurry up and kill their brother/wife before they could off each other could indeed leave you feeling pretty raw for a few millennia.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kesper North posted:

Holy poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Epilogue plus As Yet Unsent: Wow.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Epilogue plus As Yet Unsent: Wow.

They're all just such disaster lesbians.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I loving forgot this line from Harrow

that color which Ianthe called black roses, because she was overfamiliar and, frankly, a pervert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

They're all just such disaster lesbians.

Honestly disaster pansexuals in a lot of cases.