Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really wish there were more British horror movies like Hammer and Amicus. Like hell yeah give me Peter Cushing blasting the gently caress out of the Mummy with a shotgun.

Like just give me that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Honestly I've always just been grateful that Hammer and Amicus were so prolific during those golden years, they really did churn out a ton of films. It's definitely a bummer though when you start to feel like you've seen them all.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally got around to watching Infinity Pool and while I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, the scenes towards the end of Mia Goth shouting at a bus in a weird baby voice, and then getting drunk on the hood of a car during a death march and squealing in a godawful accent was loving hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I've always just been grateful that Hammer and Amicus were so prolific during those golden years, they really did churn out a ton of films. It's definitely a bummer though when you start to feel like you've seen them all.

Amicus didn't produce near the number that Hammer did.

Give me gothic horror straight into my veins.

Like The Asphyx is my jam.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 13, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoePassmore/status/1618587006900252673

She's the best

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just noticed that there was a new horror thread and somehow it’s already 16 pages. please stop posting so much everyone

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just noticed that there was a new horror thread and somehow it’s already 16 pages. please stop posting so much everyone

There was a announcement for like 2 weeks that we were getting a new thread.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You don’t need to go backwards in this thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

Welcome to the party!

Now go watch some koji

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You don’t need to go backwards in this thread

Speak for yourself my posts are precious

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I feel like I’m constantly posting around the periphery of actual horror movie stuff but there’s a funny thread on Bluesky with Mike Flanagan posting about the insanely awful notes he got from Netflix execs on his spooky stuff for them—no idea if this link will work but it rocks:

https://bsky.app/profile/flanaganfilm.bsky.social/post/3k2dlcdy34w2j

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I feel like I’m constantly posting around the periphery of actual horror movie stuff but there’s a funny thread on Bluesky with Mike Flanagan posting about the insanely awful notes he got from Netflix execs on his spooky stuff for them—no idea if this link will work but it rocks:

https://bsky.app/profile/flanaganfilm.bsky.social/post/3k2dlcdy34w2j

Nope it won't work.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ah gently caress. Let me copy paste

quote:

Wish I'd kept a record of some of the gems from my time at Netflix. Bad notes are bad notes, but that place was special. There were times I seriously wondered if my execs had been drugged

Just a tiny example - there was one exec on Midnight Mass who just couldn't accept that Riley - who had just been released from prison - didn't have a job.

I pointed out that Riley trying to find purpose, and having absolutely nothing, was important for how we meet the character, but they wouldn't be dissuaded.

"We at least need to him filling out job applications."

I pushed back again, and said that Riley specifically talks about life after prison and how he has been reduced to simply existing, without any direction or purpose...

"What about a montage where he fills out a lot of applications on the mainland, but no one calls him back?"

I asked if a single shot of him having to check the box saying he had been convicted of a crime would do it, but the directive came in - it had to be a montage. We really needed to see that he was TRYING to get a job. If he didn't TRY to get a job, we would never understand the character

"He's just some passive guy if he's not trying to fill out job applications."

So we added a few scenes to the pilot script. Each one meant we had to find a new location, just for one shot of Riley asking for - and filling out - a job application. Over and over again

And finally, when they realized the impact it had on the budget create this thrilling, massive "job application" sequence, they let it go.

"Can you just at least add some dialog about him acknowledging that he should be filling out job applications?"

We added several lines. I cut them in post.

Oh, and one last one - they put enormous pressure on us to "add scares" to the pilot of Midnight Mass. One scene they insisted on doing as additional photography was to help "explain what happened to the cats."

They pitched a scene where we see the "angel" stalking and killing a stray cat. I HATED it. They dug in, though - "if we don't see this, no one will understand what happened to the cats, and this will add a huge scare to the pilot"

I protested and protested and protested but ultimately we lost the battle. So there is this scene in the first episode where we follow a cat, who just walks around, and then there's a POV shot through the bushes, and then it gets grabbed out of frame.

It's like a feline Friday the 13th scene. It remains the stupidest scene I've ever filmed.

Okay okay okay last one - THE MIDNIGHT CLUB.

"We need to know why Ilonka chose to go to Brightcliffe."

"Well it's a hospice, and she has cancer -"

"But what mysteries can she unlock there?"

"Well we have a bit about her thinking she might find a cure"

"And does she?"

"... "

"You mean, does she find a cure for cancer?"

"Yes."

"No, she doesn't."

"Why?"

"... well there is no cure, that we know of"

"I really thought she'd find one."

"... wouldn't that be insulting to the many people who deal with cancer?"

"I don't know, it's depressing if she doesn't cure it."

he goes on to say that, on the other hand, the teams on Doctor Sleep, Ouija: Origin of Evil, and Gerald’s Game were all actually fantastic and really helped improve and protect the work, so it’s not all bad. but funny trivia for the Mikeheads

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds about right for those kinds of ghouls.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The cancer thing is hilarious, and makes me think that even an idiot like me can be a Netflix exec one day.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was interning at a place doing post production work and even just getting coffee for them it was incredible how dumb the executive producers hanging out would be. One always wrote down her order (never said a word to me) for "café olé."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i liked the vampire killing the cat scene! It's like a feline Friday the 13th scene

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bear in mind that the producers and studio bigwigs who give these notes are the same ones who are right now planning to “break” the WGA.

They supposedly intend to keep the strike going through at least late October, with the idea that after five months with no income, writers will be on the way to losing their houses and apartments.

They don’t care if the actors guild strikes too, they are still supposedly going through with this plan.

(I realize this isn’t horror-related, but it effects the film industry as a whole, and therefore this genre)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Creep is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen wow. pretty much every movie in that first two rows of best of Netflix are unwatchable. it follows was good. i will stick with goon recs.

edit—oh my GOD this poo poo had 90% on RT?!
spoilers follow. the android app lets you click a button and immediately add spoiler tags and images iOS users are being robbed.
there’s a scene where you think the movie is throwing you a curveball and it doesn’t, then it continues to play out incredibly linearly and predictably. nothing but jump scares to pay off the forever shots.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 13, 2023

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men
Does Alan Wake count for the horror thread?

I'm playing it for the first time. Am I the only one that thinks the main voice-over sounds incredibly... trite and corny? It almost feels like it's on purpose, but I really don't think it is. People laud this game as one of their all-time favorite games, and the drat voice-over keeps jarring me out of the story. I will admit the actual game play and controls are better than other modern "play a movie" games like The Dark Pictures games and The Quarry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Creep is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen wow. pretty much every movie in that first two rows of best of Netflix are unwatchable. it follows was good. i will stick with goon recs.

spoilers follow. the android app lets you click a button and immediately add spoiler tags and images iOS users are being robbed.
there’s a scene where you think the movie is throwing you a curveball and it doesn’t, then it continues to play out incredibly linearly and predictably. nothing but jump scares to pay off the forever shots.

Creep kicks rear end

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Creep is pretty good but Creep II is even better

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
creep is generally well liked in this thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

Creep is pretty good but Creep II is even better

Yep

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sometimes a movie is about just having one really good performance and that is ok and creep does that and its good

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men
Eh, Creep wasn't ground breaking, but I'm a sucker for any even halfway competent found footage movie.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I like how in Creep 2 the protagonist is Immune to his jump scares and he gets increasingly mad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FueledBySatan posted:

Does Alan Wake count for the horror thread?

I'm playing it for the first time. Am I the only one that thinks the main voice-over sounds incredibly... trite and corny? It almost feels like it's on purpose, but I really don't think it is. People laud this game as one of their all-time favorite games, and the drat voice-over keeps jarring me out of the story. I will admit the actual game play and controls are better than other modern "play a movie" games like The Dark Pictures games and The Quarry.
It counts for the horror games thread. And yeah, the voice-over is that way on purpose.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought the two Creep movies were fun just as cringe found footage, not amazing but solid. I was almost disappointed with the first one when he actually kills the guy at the end

grobbo
May 29, 2014

he goes on to say that, on the other hand, the teams on Doctor Sleep, Ouija: Origin of Evil, and Gerald’s Game were all actually fantastic and really helped improve and protect the work, so it’s not all bad. but funny trivia for the Mikeheads

Well, this reads like a man who won't be coming back for House of Usher 2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flanagan split from Netflix in December and signed a deal with Amazon. Supposedly they’re working on the Dark Tower. House of Usher is just the last project in development over there so I guess he’s on senior day.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was a miniseries from the start anyway. Already filmed and releasing this fall

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Midnight Club was the only of his projects that wasn't a one off but obviously that's probably dead now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

STAC Goat posted:

I think Midnight Club was the only of his projects that wasn't a one off but obviously that's probably dead now.

Netflix cancelled it about a month before the deal with Amazon was announced. It's not clear which came first.

That said, I thought Midnight Club was garbage.

Midnight Mass on the other end was great.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
For comfort horror, I'll second A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, which is the sweet spot between horror and humor and a film for which I have tremendous nostalgia from childhood viewings.

I could also watch Phantasm any time. I've run the series several times even since Ravager came out. (The only photo I've had taken of myself with any kind of celebrity is with Reggie, in fact.)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I liked Creep, both the film and the Lonely Island music video featuring Nicki Minaj.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I'm with you on not liking creep. I know characters in horror movies generally make bad decisions but the protagonist made so many bad decisions I was hoping he'd die soon just to end the movie, and that's saying something because the movie is only 77 minutes long.

Also that actor chose to wait so long between lines that I'm pretty sure 30 of those minutes are just his pregnant pauses.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm going to go on record as saying that I like Mark Duplass and that his TV show Room 104 was uneven, but I enjoyed the episode he was in where he played the reclusive musician who murdered his mom and buried her ALL OVER THE YARD, ALLLLL OVER THE YAAAARD, IT'S WHERE MY MEMORIES LIE, ALL OVER THE BACK YAAAAAARD, FIFTY PIECES OF MOMMY BURIED IN THE BACK YARD *strums guitar furiously*.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Do we know it's her real voice and not just an elaborate prank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok, guv’ner! Spook yah doodles?