Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was a long wait, but the meal was more than worth it :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Who was that woman that tricked Koby? Some random female pirate NPC?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Cornwind Evil posted:

In the close up, she has a kind of similar look to one of Blackbeard's hangers-on, but she's probably a rando, as you said.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Is this the longest we have gone without Luffy appearing in a chapter? I miss that guy.

I like the cartoony look of Pizarro-possessed Hachinosu. Eekum bokum

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Star Platinum posted:

Is this the longest we have gone without Luffy appearing in a chapter?

The Oden flashback was a longer stretch (Ch. 960-973 compared to Ch. 1079-1087, so far). IRL, it's probably been a fair bit longer because of the extended production break.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Star Platinum posted:

Is this the longest we have gone without Luffy appearing in a chapter? I miss that guy.

I like the cartoony look of Pizarro-possessed Hachinosu. Eekum bokum

Listen, y'all need to let go of some of these ancient rear end characters that aren't gonna come up again. I know the memes "were we can pretend" funny but-

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I hate that shiryu limpdick

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Caidin posted:

Listen, y'all need to let go of some of these ancient rear end characters that aren't gonna come up again. I know the memes "were we can pretend" funny but-

Luffy's literally the motivation for Coby becoming a Marine, he's like the Shanks of One Piece.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bitmap posted:

I hate that shiryu limpdick

hes loving lame as poo poo but I have to begrudgingly respect that he took the shot knowing he’d probably get punched hard enough to shatter half the bones in his body and just went “heh”.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's a good thing that Shiryu was busy in Impel Down, otherwise he'd have realized that stabbing old school badasses is how they get powered up.

Cornwind Evil posted:

For a dude who is supposed to be good at observation haki he sure is easy to trick.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I think we've had this discussion before, but I wonder what the functional difference is between Pica's fruit and Pizarro's island island fruit. Where's Zoro when you need him!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems like the same thing but bigger since it covers a whole island? Not sure how it would interact with a huge continent like Alabaster

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Good chapter. Garp stocks are up. Love to see it

My one minor gripe:

I need that mini-flashback to actually go somewhere. It was cute, seeing the hard work Aoikiji did to get as strong as he is is nice, but honestly its not that much new info. I'm just tired of these mini-flashbacks, I'm ready to sink into a multi-chapter character defining flashback for these characters.

TCB's translation mostly gets rid of the one gripe i had, surprise surprise. Kuzan's line about Garp having a bad habit of raising enemies for himself ties the flashback and its mentions of Dragon and Luffy back to the present, and it gives us an interesting idea to think about.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also lol at Sanjuan jobbing immediately. Will Hadrujin remain the only giant to have ever won a fight

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also lol at Sanjuan jobbing immediately. Will Hadrujin remain the only giant to have ever won a fight

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/6/66/Chapter_117.png/revision/latest?cb=20170531175557

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

yum posted:

I think we've had this discussion before, but I wonder what the functional difference is between Pica's fruit and Pizarro's island island fruit. Where's Zoro when you need him!

Pica’s basically turning a mass of stone into whatever shape he wants and then remotely controlling it, it’s pretty strictly better defensively because no matter how big the thing he makes is, the “real” him that can actually be hurt is only a large man, as opposed to the island fruit meaning it sucks poo poo when someone starts doing a lot of collateral damage because of their indiscriminate attacks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if there's a size limit to what the Island Fruit can control cause isn't virtually everything in One Piece an island.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like when garp punches people

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Mom?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

great, now you are at war with elbaph.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Locked in combat for 100 years because both are genetically incapable of winning a fight

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I do want to know where the gently caress Cross Guild was pulling their bounty money from unless Buggy had been absolutely raking it with his Mercenaries before becoming an Emperor

It’s something I’ve been wondering about on occasion: where does the actual profit for Cross Guild come in? They’re issuing out bounties, but not really getting anything out of it at the moment - killing Marines isn’t an inherently profitable activity beyond an abstract “one less threat to deal with down the line”. The government/Marines can afford to issue bounties because piracy is enough of an existential threat that they don’t mind taking, and also they can just print money.

I guess the idea is to get unaffiliated randos to do their promotion for them by going for big-name Marines (no harm done to any actual Cross Guild members if they fail, and if they succeed then everyone knows it was a Cross Guild sponsored hit), then once they’ve gotten a few big early successes, sell themselves as a pirate union/protection racket by going “we managed to protect these guys while the heat was on them, and that same protection can be yours for a cut of all your loot”

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's easy to forget, but Shanks isn't the one who killed Kid and his whole crew.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Last Celebration posted:

Pica’s basically turning a mass of stone into whatever shape he wants and then remotely controlling it, it’s pretty strictly better defensively because no matter how big the thing he makes is, the “real” him that can actually be hurt is only a large man, as opposed to the island fruit meaning it sucks poo poo when someone starts doing a lot of collateral damage because of their indiscriminate attacks.

That makes sense. I guess the advantage of the Island fruit is the constant living surveillance factor.

Inadequately posted:

It’s something I’ve been wondering about on occasion: where does the actual profit for Cross Guild come in? They’re issuing out bounties, but not really getting anything out of it at the moment - killing Marines isn’t an inherently profitable activity beyond an abstract “one less threat to deal with down the line”. The government/Marines can afford to issue bounties because piracy is enough of an existential threat that they don’t mind taking, and also they can just print money.

I guess the idea is to get unaffiliated randos to do their promotion for them by going for big-name Marines (no harm done to any actual Cross Guild members if they fail, and if they succeed then everyone knows it was a Cross Guild sponsored hit), then once they’ve gotten a few big early successes, sell themselves as a pirate union/protection racket by going “we managed to protect these guys while the heat was on them, and that same protection can be yours for a cut of all your loot”

They probably sell drugs/rum running/weapon smuggling and do human trafficking like all shady criminal organizations. Hell, we know Blackbeards trafficking slaves from the past few chapters.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Locked in combat for 100 years because both are genetically incapable of winning a fight

Tell that to kid

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
now that someone brings it up, what the gently caress happened that got Dorry and Broggy off of Little Garden? last I checked in Decks of the World they were still punching the heck out of each other. Also, I wonder if they get to meet the little girl who accidentally triggered their argument, she still could be alive if it was 102 years ago.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

now that someone brings it up, what the gently caress happened that got Dorry and Broggy off of Little Garden? last I checked in Decks of the World they were still punching the heck out of each other. Also, I wonder if they get to meet the little girl who accidentally triggered their argument, she still could be alive if it was 102 years ago.
A friend of Crocus was seen passing through Reverse Mountain just after the timeskip. May have been on his way to Little Garden.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cross Guild are mercenaries, there were a few panels from ages back where Buggy was crowing about how many requests for hired hands they were getting and telling his crew to get out there and make money.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i like how their outfits are opposing black and white

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Inadequately posted:

After Impel Down, Buggy started a business where he hired out pirates to whoever would pay. This is how he made his fortune after the timeskip and rose to be an emperor. Crocodile and Mihawk only came in with the bounty scheme afterwards, by bullying him :v:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Curious what Kuzan's longterm plan is. Given his relatively noble actions around Jaguar and Robin, him pairing up with BB feels like an undercover bit. But that feels too obvious? Wonder which reasons Oda's gonna give him truly for pairing up with them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Curious what Kuzan's longterm plan is. Given his relatively noble actions around Jaguar and Robin, him pairing up with BB feels like an undercover bit. But that feels too obvious? Wonder which reasons Oda's gonna give him truly for pairing up with them.
Him throwing down here feels wrong. BB's whole pitch was that it's ok to be temporary allies and I'd been assuming that he was more or less aligned with Garp/Coby just more willing to make naughty friends to destroy the dragons. Maybe he's on board with whatever Rocks-inspired thing BB is planning that will end up with the dragons and the marines destroyed so Garp really is his enemy now.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

ok but what’s the thing with eyes hiding between the battleships they’re punching?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

No Wave posted:

Him throwing down here feels wrong. BB's whole pitch was that it's ok to be temporary allies and I'd been assuming that he was more or less aligned with Garp/Coby just more willing to make naughty friends to destroy the dragons. Maybe he's on board with whatever Rocks-inspired thing BB is planning that will end up with the dragons and the marines destroyed so Garp really is his enemy now.

My impression is that he is doing some legit double-agent thing but a part of him also legitimately agrees with some of the stuff BB's been saying and he's got a lot of pent-up frustration with the system that he wants to vent. So whatever he's doing I don't think its entirely within the Marine's best interests anymore, if it ever was to begin with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My impression is that he is doing some legit double-agent thing but a part of him also legitimately agrees with some of the stuff BB's been saying and he's got a lot of pent-up frustration with the system that he wants to vent. So whatever he's doing I don't think its entirely within the Marine's best interests anymore, if it ever was to begin with.
I definitely disagree with that, I think he is totally against the marines now after he couldnt reform them. Even to the point where he has no interest in sparing past or future heroes of the marines.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think aokiji will redeem himself but only after being defeated by like, sanji or something, in the final arc

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

i like how their outfits are opposing black and white

I dont think I realised until now that the whole composition is basically a yin-yang.

Very beautiful and poetic chapter tbh… If Aokiji lets a battleship of civilians die again then he must be in deep cover for a very loving good reason

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Aokiji freezing Pizzaro to stop him from killing civilians would make sense to me actually. He still doesn't believe in a better alternative and instead has just joined what he sees as the winning side to try and lessen their cruelty

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Aokiji freezing Pizzaro to stop him from killing civilians would make sense to me actually. He still doesn't believe in a better alternative and instead has just joined what he sees as the winning side to try and lessen their cruelty
Sounds more like Kuzan to Ice Time Capsule the civvies instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Kuzan putting his life on the line to prevent the slaves from escaping is a great look lol

What's the difference between this and protecting the Celestial Dragons