Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Parenting Thread: My wife is also racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Top tier snipe right there.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

space uncle posted:

My wife is also racist and made sure our half Asian baby loves rice and turns his back on his heritage of potato.

Baked, mashed, garlic, cheesy, French fries - he doesn’t really care.

My Midwestern ancestors are eating their overcooked unseasoned potatoes in Valhalla and gently frowning in disapproval at me.

At this rate my kid will never say “ope, just gonna squeeze by ya to grab a can of pop.”

Brother!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i know every kid is different, but so far 12-24 months has been an amazing age. my kid is just having a blast being a kid, smiling, dancing, being chatty, playing, and generally being adorable

she's a victim of her own success because even her worst tantrums just seem adorable. tiny little stomping feet.

i know there's trouble on the horizon but really now I'm just enjoying all her new encounters with the world

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

space uncle posted:

I always hear mixed reviews on the ISR classes. I know anecdote is not data but I’ve seen (in other peoples children):

1. My kid was insanely scared and traumatized and now hates the water
2. See above but we put them in splashy kid class and now they’re ok
3. My 3 month old now swims with the precision and lung capacity of a Navy seal
4. Kids did ISR and turned out fine

Yeah. ISR is one of those things that I don't think I would ever do with my kid because 1 and 2 seem like they'd happen very easily and 3 and 4 can be accomplished with less dramatic approaches. I know backyard pool drownings are the number one cause of death for young kids...but yeah I'm not down for simulated drowning.

It feels like just another "this is America, let's do our school shooter drill" type activity.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dreylad posted:

i know every kid is different, but so far 12-24 months has been an amazing age. my kid is just having a blast being a kid, smiling, dancing, being chatty, playing, and generally being adorable

she's a victim of her own success because even her worst tantrums just seem adorable. tiny little stomping feet.

i know there's trouble on the horizon but really now I'm just enjoying all her new encounters with the world

That was a great phase for us too. I loved 12-24 months.

Now my kid is 27 months and she has decided my wife and I aren't allowed to talk to each other.

Me: Quick question for you.

Kid: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wife: What's up?

Kid: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Me: I know it's hard to wait your turn, but I'm talking to mommy. Can you play with [toy] while I talk to mommy?

Kid: ......yeah

Me: I was wonderi-

Kid: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Extremely important observations are happening! Shut up about life management! This spill looks like an apatosaurus!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Is it pretty normal for a newly turned 3yo to easily be distracted when walking through a room on their way to do something else? Family history of ADHD is why I'm wondering.

For example last night at dinner he needed to go to the toilet but on the way he noticed his favorite green drink coaster in a stack on the coffee table instead of at the dinner table and insisted on moving said coaster to the dinner table before continuing on to the bathroom.

What's the best way to handle that sort of distraction? Should we insist that he complete the first task even though that's likely to cause a meltdown?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Dreylad posted:

Tantrums are hilarious. Why are you getting so mad that you couldn't pet the dog? The dog is terrified of you now! Slow your roll, little person!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My favorite is when they get so mad they fart.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shifty Pony posted:

Is it pretty normal for a newly turned 3yo to easily be distracted when walking through a room on their way to do something else? Family history of ADHD is why I'm wondering.

For example last night at dinner he needed to go to the toilet but on the way he noticed his favorite green drink coaster in a stack on the coffee table instead of at the dinner table and insisted on moving said coaster to the dinner table before continuing on to the bathroom.

What's the best way to handle that sort of distraction? Should we insist that he complete the first task even though that's likely to cause a meltdown?

Our daughter will do literally anything else than go pee/poop so I think is common. We have a family history of adhd too though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I had no idea this was so common but it really is the funniest thing

And when they keep trying to be angry while wanting to laugh

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Shifty Pony posted:

Same here. My kid insisted a while back to do “first things first,” so I started employing that phrase when distractions happen. Usually just “Remember what you said: first things first” and negotiate the distraction as a “reward” after the initial task. YMMW, of course. Also history of ADHD here, at least on one side. It works in most cases for us.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ehud posted:

That was a great phase for us too. I loved 12-24 months.

Now my kid is 27 months and she has decided my wife and I aren't allowed to talk to each other.

Me: Quick question for you.

Kid: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wife: What's up?

Kid: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Me: I know it's hard to wait your turn, but I'm talking to mommy. Can you play with [toy] while I talk to mommy?

Kid: ......yeah

Me: I was wonderi-

Kid: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is us but at 18/19 months. Little one also doesn't let me stroke my wife when we all sit close together, I'd stroke her arm a bit and our daughter will toddle over and bat my hand away :allears:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

SixFigureSandwich posted:

This is us but at 18/19 months. Little one also doesn't let me stroke my wife when we all sit close together, I'd stroke her arm a bit and our daughter will toddle over and bat my hand away :allears:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Parenting Thread: Little one also doesn't let me stroke my wife

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah it completely undermines them and if you start cracking up they get more upset.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

KirbyKhan posted:

Lmao this parenting thing is full of these fun moments holy hell. It's the best.

Any advice on helping a small child get past fear of loud noises, like thunder and fireworks?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My 2 year old has started letting out dramatic sighs and sadly shrugging his shoulders when he’s disappointed and it is the funniest poo poo.

He’s being genuine with his feelings when he does it but it’s really really hard to not laugh. I prefer it over the tantrum option.

Also, this kid has a MEMORY. He did The Sigh when, after his nap, I told him we wouldn’t be going to Target. Because he wanted to go back and buy the giant firetruck that we denied him on our trip two days prior.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't know what the best way to handle it is, but FWIW my kid (who is your kid's age) doesn't have a family history of ADHD and but does get distracted by stuff like that on her way to do anything. so it seems like it could just be a toddler thing (although I suppose it's possible that my kid has ADHD).

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

BadSamaritan posted:

My 2 year old has started letting out dramatic sighs and sadly shrugging his shoulders when he’s disappointed and it is the funniest poo poo.

He’s being genuine with his feelings when he does it but it’s really really hard to not laugh. I prefer it over the tantrum option.

Also, this kid has a MEMORY. He did The Sigh when, after his nap, I told him we wouldn’t be going to Target. Because he wanted to go back and buy the giant firetruck that we denied him on our trip two days prior.

My 2.5 year old has copied my particular less-than-enthused inflection of “OK” to acknowledge a chore request. Whoops.

He has also developed some surprisingly realistic fake crying for attention (didn’t wrestle on the couch long enough).

We tried bribery to convince him to sleep through the night, so now as soon as he wakes up he starts demanding a new fire truck, a new ambulance, a new garbage truck…. Dude you woke me up at 3AM and I’m on the floor next to you.

Watching all these emotions develop and play out is so entertaining. He’s got a best friend in daycare now and it’s absolutely adorable, they are thick as thieves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter has started walking up to me and patting me, like "hey good job, good dad" but it also could be the pat of a car salesman "this dad can carry so many groceries at once you wont regret your purchase"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well she's definitely taken to the piano, it's all she would do/talk about today

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

May the fleas of a thousand rabid bears nestle in the crotch of whoever the gently caress it was who introduced my daughter to the existential horror of Slick Slime Sam.

*edit*

I'll have longer rant about Horse Humper and the poo poo he pulled during his last two-week summer possesion cycle later but gently caress me running I hate this show.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 14, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

May the fleas of a thousand rabid bears nestle in the crotch of whoever the gently caress it was who introduced my daughter to the existential horror of Slick Slime Sam.

I love how the voices randomly change, like Sue will suddenly have a very thick eastern European accent and Sam slime will sound like that same accent trying to do the Sam slime voice

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So Horse Humper update. We asked him over the approved messaging app to talk with our daughter on the 4th. She was really upset about the change over and said she wanted to talk with us. We figured "hey, you know what? It's a week and a half out we'll see if we can't schedule something".

Long story short: we didn't get to talk to her like she wanted.

I'm not sure what's up with idiots changing their story constantly when there's a log of what you said. "Oh i'll have to look we might have plans i'll get back to you" turned into "as i said in the last message we're very busy, family's flown in, she has zero availability because of all the fun plans we have, also she doesn't want to talk to you" over the course of three messages. At least we were able to show her what he sent when she said that she spent almost all of the two weeks inside, the only person that visited was her step-brother for his 50/50 possession, and she didn't have any camps.

Anyway. Currently researching the kid equivalent of a Jitterbug because, in true Air Bud fashion, the rules don't say she can't have one to call either sets of parents whenever she wants.

Brawnfire posted:

I love how the voices randomly change, like Sue will suddenly have a very thick eastern European accent and Sam slime will sound like that same accent trying to do the Sam slime voice

I mean, don't get me wrong - her watching some tv isn't a problem. We didn't have any camps scheduled for this week so other than swim class in the morning she's been having to entertain herself for part of the day before afternoon playdates. But it being on all loving day and her fighting with her 3yo brother over watching it or Baby Shark Games is just exhausting. It's part of the 5 minute crafts network so i'm mindful of it but none of the stuff seemed too harmful.

And then this morning, before the coffee or the vyvanse can properly kick in, she's asking to put rocks in the oven to get them warm enough to melt crayons like Sue is doing and wanting me to use a lighter with her to make crayon candles.

So yeah, no more of that poo poo.

It's back to Vooks, Sesame Street, and a carefully curated list of people like Levarr Burton reading books, Beakman's World, and Motown music.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

citybeatnik posted:

Beakman's World

How does that hold up? I used to love it as a kid but I could see it aging badly.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shifty Pony posted:

How does that hold up? I used to love it as a kid but I could see it aging badly.

I'm not sure myself, other than "better than a suspiciously-phallic shaped mascot telling kids to play with oven rocks"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
“Dad can you do X”
“Ok”
*Rushes to do X while laughing hysterically*

This is my life and it owns

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Parent of an 11 year old here to say this parenting poo poo does not get easier nor less fun. It seems like that's a contradiction but it's not.

We're deep in the woods with some Friendship Drama and bracing ourselves because this is just the start of it. But I had an hour-plus long game of Commander with her today where she found out some new synergies with her deck all on her own and that made it all worth it. Waiting 11 years for my kid to ask me to play Magic with her is some life goals stuff.

Some of the :3: in this thread makes me want to have another kid, but I'm not emotionally or financially ready for that right now.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

LifeLynx posted:

Parent of an 11 year old here to say this parenting poo poo does not get easier nor less fun. It seems like that's a contradiction but it's not.

We're deep in the woods with some Friendship Drama and bracing ourselves because this is just the start of it. But I had an hour-plus long game of Commander with her today where she found out some new synergies with her deck all on her own and that made it all worth it. Waiting 11 years for my kid to ask me to play Magic with her is some life goals stuff.

Some of the :3: in this thread makes me want to have another kid, but I'm not emotionally or financially ready for that right now.

So what you’re saying is, we can never expect to not be tired oh so very freaking tired ever again?

Oh my god

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have a three year old and a five year old and I think it does get easier. I'm able to play Mario with the five year old for instance, and show him stuff I liked as a kid. He goes to the toilet by himself, and the three year old is mostly out of diapers. I can't compare to age eleven but it's easier now than it was when they were any smaller and it's just getting easier.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

A Bad King posted:

So what you’re saying is, we can never expect to not be tired oh so very freaking tired ever again?

Oh my god

It gets more different than better. Less literal sleeplessness and more exhaustion from keeping up with increasingly savvy children.

Mine literally cannot have access to any electronic device or they’ll figure out how to be watching YouTube on it - you’d think it’d be easy to selectively meter access to it, but surprisingly it’s difficult!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am also looking forward to the day when my son can join our commander games :3: I feel like 9-18 months was so freaking fun and now that he is 2.5 he is very… challenging. Still loving every single day though. There are always new good times to be had as well as new challenges.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nachos posted:

“Dad can you do X”
“Ok”
*Rushes to do X while laughing hysterically*

This is my life and it owns

This applies at all ages, anyway. My 8 year old asked me to go for a run with her, so I proceeded to wildly exaggerate about 200 ways not to run. She laughed so hard she told me her stomach hurt for days.

Basically imagine the will smith AI video eating noodles, but translate the concept to running.

I'm also reminded of fun spice ish stories. At...4? We took kiddo to Ashville NC, where a restaurant had us a kombucha flight on the menu IE: 6 different shot glasses worth. Naturally, we let kiddo try a sip of them all.

Queue about...2 am and the kid is constantly tooting in her sleep and rolling around like a ping-pong ball in bed with us as a result. Kid still loves the buchi.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

remigious posted:

I am also looking forward to the day when my son can join our commander games :3: I feel like 9-18 months was so freaking fun and now that he is 2.5 he is very… challenging. Still loving every single day though. There are always new good times to be had as well as new challenges.

Extremely same. 2.5 and the vocab exploded, along with all the challenges and cuteness that enables. Being able to conceptualize the world is the first step towards yelling constantly in it.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Thorn: My kid (almost 3) has one thing she is Toddler Stubborn about and it’s brushing her teeth. And for some reason, it drives me loving nuts that it takes 20 minutes to get it done. Like a lot of other parenting annoyances roll off my back, that one really gets me.

Rose:
We went to a birthday party today and (1) there were a ton of kids there running around aged 2.5-6 and there was neither any injuries or kid-on-kid conflict (2) after I picked up my daughter to help her slam dunk a balloon in the bounce house, a bunch of other kids (some of whom were complete strangers to me) asked me to pick them up so they could do it too :3: although jeez, bigger kids are heavy

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Started the day with four non consecutive hours of sleep thanks to both kids being awake at different times during the night. I wish I had a clicker thing to count how often my daughter yelled “MOM” to get my attention today, but trying to keep a casual count, she usually said it every 2-3 minutes, and often several times a minute. Without me being distracted or ignoring her. We did fun things today, we went to the children’s museum, we played outside, we did crafts, we went to the beach… but they were demanding my attention and someone was hanging on me literally 100% of the time, and if I was looking at one kid the other one was screaming for me to look at them. I made their favorite dinner and they ate some, and as I was trying to eat my dinner they were screaming and pulling at both of my arms.

I put on Mickey fun house so I could have five minutes to myself and vent in this post, and during that time my daughter pooped in the toilet and threw half a pack of wipes in there even though she knows not to, thankfully she didn’t flush so I could pull them out, and my son was distracted for like three minutes but has since been whining/screaming and pulling on my shirt.

This is a completely typical day, but it’s really getting to me today. I had a four day vacation last week without the kids and I thought I would be refreshed and ready to get back to it, but it’s so exhausting. And then I feel like garbage for trying to distract them with TV.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I really want to exercise, but there's no time, but my body is so achy. I think I'm going to count stretching while she naps as a workout.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Koivunen posted:

And then I feel like garbage for trying to distract them with TV.

That sounds exhausting just reading it :( so I wrote you a lil haiku:

It's ok to rest
Can't pour from an empty cup
You're an awesome mum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
No shame in using the TV to catch a break. Super Simple Songs have allowed me a lot of relaxing time because sometimes goddamn.