Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, it's a third party kit. I can't speak to this specific brand but there's a number of decent third party kit makers that are fine.

It's an off-shoot of Daban, who have been a solid third-party for quite some time.

Mindblast posted:

That color scheme makes this the first Zaku I actually kinda wanna get, to boot.

If you want it then go for it. I've never gotten any of them myself but i've never heard anything bad about them from other people who assembled them on Gundam Model Center's Facebook Page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

all zakus are beautiful

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Zakus, I have a Zaku II T-shirt that I got from Uniqlo a while back, so I was thinking my next Gunpla should be that. What version do people recommend? Complexity is not an issue, though price might be, depending on how pricy we're talking. Also my Strike Rouge is 1/144, in case I want to have them fighting on my bookshelf, but I'd entertain the idea of a 1/100 if it's otherwise the best choice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you're on 1/144 scale the Origin Zaku 2 is probably your best bet. The thing is begging to be panel lined.

Though I haven't bought it yet there's also a revive version of the Zaku 2 that uses a soft plastic for the skirt armour to achieve some really dynamic poses.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Buck Wildman posted:

all zakus are beautiful

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I've built the revive, and it's a solid kit. As stated above, it has a rubber skirt that's fun to pose with (that I eventually ditched for paint)

I would get pics of that and the GTO model and just choose whichever you prefer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The revive Zaku also has some really nifty elbows for very rad posing opportunities

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm building a knockoff Blaze Zaku Phantom from that manufacturer (I assume. It's competely un-marked and un-credited) as we speak and it's actually extremely solid if you really want to build one but don't want to spend £80+ for a basic SEED Zaku. The fit is extremely tight on a lot of parts so you absolute need to either shave a bit off the pegs or sand them down but otherwise it's almost indistinguishable from a legit kit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gundamside_f/status/1679778171892400129?t=Nzqx-5QJOBeEERUjzV5OZw&s=19

I wish I could get this it looks so good.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thanks for all the info guys.

But it seems I waited too long and it sold out haha. Oh well. Next time, gadget! :argh:

e:

Skrillmub posted:

I can say that there are several third parties poised to eat the gently caress out of Bandai's lunch if they don't step up their MG/PG game.

Thats kinda why I'm looking into this. Before this I didnt feel like going past high grade. Partially because of the size in crease but also because of how fast the cost just flies off into space.

Stuff like that robo thor and bootleg zaku are my gateway into mg/pg like stuff.

ee: might've been a mistake. Orders opened up again. Sweet.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 15, 2023

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yu_mise_0406/status/1679624913815224320

https://twitter.com/vxseriouse/status/1679740179861610496

https://twitter.com/RavenLaurant/status/1679814458817011712

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 15, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Bröther I require nourishment

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What the heck is Side F

But well I’m sure they’ll make a standard AOZ hizak from this that will be available in the normal pbandai store

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's on e of the Gundam Base stores I think? So this is basically Japan-exclusive and then everyone else will pay a big-rear end markup.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think occasionally they'll sell a limited amount of Gundam Base kits at bigger events like SDCC

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

It's on e of the Gundam Base stores I think? So this is basically Japan-exclusive and then everyone else will pay a big-rear end markup.

Oh F for Fukuoka aha

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Oh good, a resolution from the same year as that movie.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol is it bad I usually post on my phone. I fixed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I think occasionally they'll sell a limited amount of Gundam Base kits at bigger events like SDCC

They sometimes hit p-Bandai and the Gunpla Expos if you're near one of those too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

I was finally focusing on getting the MG Epyon I got for Christmas done, when this happens so close to the finish, while assembling the backpack:

These pieces were tight fits, and I twisted too hard trying to get the second one in there.

What would you guys do next?

I finally got around to getting this out a few days ago. It was really jammed in there, so I ended up having to go through the bottom and push it out. Luckily, the hole is pretty hidden.

Today I started applying the dry transfer decals, the first time I’ve ever tried it. Wouldn’t you know, the very first one I applied was in the wrong place. It was a stripe on one of the segments of its calf that was juuust slightly longer than the one that was supposed to be there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had to laugh today. So there's a hobby shop just up the road from me that occasionally carries gunpla but it's obviously not a big draw for them. But I popped my head in to see if anything neat was in stock.

They had about ten WFM Michaelis kits on the display shelf, untouched. That kit is absolutely cursed, sales wise.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 15, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:psyduck: its a megaman centurion and looks loving epic why isn't it selling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mindblast posted:

:psyduck: its a megaman centurion and looks loving epic why isn't it selling.

Appears gently caress-all times in the show, and gets jobbed by the Aerial. Same thing happened to the Dilanza sales, I believe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still haven't seen a Dilanza at any of the local hobby stores. I was able to snag the Darilbalde the other week but it and the Llfrith Ur were the only WFM kits I could find. They're just not making it into town but plenty of Michaelis kits nobody is buying.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Since I’m just getting into this, are the third-party stuff like water slides, photo etch, and resin/3d upgrade parts still made for older kits? Not necessarily super old or obscure, but stuff that’s still on shelves. I’m trying to figure out if all the “sold out” and “out of stock” items are like gone for good or if they periodically restock.

I have been snatching up a lot of kits to be excited about, but it seems like no single place has more than a few of the add-ons in stock, even if they exist. This is making it tough to get started on something if like water slides exist but are out of stock, or there’s $15 shipping on the few decal sets in stock. I’d buy sets for all the stuff I have/will probably get in the future but stock seems thin, especially in one place.

Is there a good central online store for a lot of this stuff or is it just scattered around? Seems like direct from the mfg might be best but even there like 3/4 of the stuff is sold out (delpidecals.com, for instance).

I was surprised to see plenty of WFM kits at the Gundam-only place near me, they had a lot of variety including 3 of the dilanza types. Gundamgalaxy if you are looking, but it sounds like you’re specifically wanting to have them at your local store(s), assume you can find them online everywhere but if not, there ya go.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 15, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Small trip report on the third-party Blaze/Slash Zaku Warrior/Phantom series that's turning up in various colours:

The main thing I came away with from the build is 'it's tight'. Almost every single joint and connection-point is just a too dang tight and required serious force to go in. If you want to get a SEED Zaku at a reasonable price then go for it but;

1) Cut slants into every single peg and slot without exception so you can get them back out without breaking them or the surrounding parts.
2) Sand the ball-joints for the shields.
3) For the small parts (coloured vents, knee vents, the clear visor etc) do not even bother to put them in until you have got the detailing done, because you will never get them out.

I was originally going to airbrush but I think I'm just going to line/decal/weather/topcoat.

The kit itself loving rules. Almost every single major armor part is undergated so it's super-easy to clean up, is huge so has great shelf presence, and it's got nice options like an extra shoulder if you want to use the traditional one-shoulder-shield-mode and a head-fin if you want to make a commander version. It's just a shame they decided to make only Lunamaria's custom a regular Bandai release and locked the other variants behind P-Bandai, including the Wizard packs themselves.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

E: ^ awesome. Looking forward to my zaku. I can deal with the evil pegs. September can't come fast enough.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Appears gently caress-all times in the show, and gets jobbed by the Aerial. Same thing happened to the Dilanza sales, I believe.

B but its a megaman centurion. :negative:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'll probably pick one up to make a Varia Suit at some point but it just isn't notable at all! Sorry!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I would be more willing to speak up in praise of the Michaelis if they hadn't given it a torso with no articulation whatsoever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's just a limitation of the design sadly. Id like to see them cheat it some way but all the Grassley suits have the similar abdomen section.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

uwaeve posted:

Since I’m just getting into this, are the third-party stuff like water slides, photo etch, and resin/3d upgrade parts still made for older kits? Not necessarily super old or obscure, but stuff that’s still on shelves. I’m trying to figure out if all the “sold out” and “out of stock” items are like gone for good or if they periodically restock.

I have been snatching up a lot of kits to be excited about, but it seems like no single place has more than a few of the add-ons in stock, even if they exist. This is making it tough to get started on something if like water slides exist but are out of stock, or there’s $15 shipping on the few decal sets in stock. I’d buy sets for all the stuff I have/will probably get in the future but stock seems thin, especially in one place.

Is there a good central online store for a lot of this stuff or is it just scattered around? Seems like direct from the mfg might be best but even there like 3/4 of the stuff is sold out (delpidecals.com, for instance).

I was surprised to see plenty of WFM kits at the Gundam-only place near me, they had a lot of variety including 3 of the dilanza types. Gundamgalaxy if you are looking, but it sounds like you’re specifically wanting to have them at your local store(s), assume you can find them online everywhere but if not, there ya go.

I've used delpi a couple of times, they're pretty good about getting things printed and back into stock if they sell out. I've had no problems with their quality either on the few kits I've actually applied the waterslides on.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I've used delpi a couple of times, they're pretty good about getting things printed and back into stock if they sell out. I've had no problems with their quality either on the few kits I've actually applied the waterslides on.

Nice, thanks. I sort of figured if kits are popular enough to still be stocked and selling, it would make sense to keep producing decals and photo etch. However, I have roughly two weeks exposure to the whole hobby and got a little nervous when some of the kits I picked out are like 12 years old at this point.

I'm going for a record for backlog-to-built ratio, since I've completed exactly one kit (RG Destiny) and have somehow amassed the following. Some were bought to practice airbrushing/weathering/decal/coating etc. in hopes that I burn through a bunch of mistakes by the time I'm into the stuff I want to look better than straight builds.

EG RX-78 x 3 (cheap parts for paint and weathering testing)
HG MAILeS BYAKUCHI (50% off going out of business sale)
HG RMS-106 HI-ZACK (curved surfaces paint testing)
HG MS-06S ZAKU II (curved surface paint and weathering testing)
HG Barbatos x 2 (one of the few things I've actually watched is half of IBO so it's at least something I've seen, second kit is weathering testing for the MG below)
HG Aerial (one of the few things I've actually watched is half of WFM so it's at least something I've seen)

MG RGM-96X JESTA (will probably start MGs with this as straight build, saw it recommended as not overly complex or finicky)
MG FREEDOM 2.0 (prob straight build or maybe I'll be into painting/weathering by then)
MG Barbatos (this is the one I found an article about weathering that I want to build up to)
MG Nu Ver. Ka (probably saving this one til I get a bunch of mistakes out of my system)
MG Sinanju Stein Ver. Ka (probably saving this one til I get a bunch of mistakes out of my system).

Still researching what version/grade I want for a Sinanju and Sazabi, and honestly haven't even looked into the Zeon stuff (aside from buying some low-cost HGs to mess around with the curves).

Guys I don't know what I'm doing, I don't even watch any of this stuff (but I have started some). The engineering of the kits and build experience alone has sent me off the deep end. When I first started looking at the shelves I couldn't even parse what I was looking at because for whatever reason the box art and all the nomenclature was super confusing for someone with no exposure/background. I just had to sort of look at the model pictures on the box sides.

The stuff I was most interested in decals/photo-etch for is the MG Barbatos, Nu, and Sinanju Stein (even though I understand the Ver. Ka stuff has waterslides) as well as whatever I get for Sinanju/Sazabi. I figure I should try out some decaling/photoetch on some of my test subjects (the rest of the gang) as well so I can work my way through things like decal application/solutions/coating/sanding borders, as well as stuff like launching photo etch parts into orbit or crunching them trying to bend em. I did find and buy some Bandai decals for some of the stuff I have or will get, but I've heard they can be thicker and whatnot, so I will practice with those bad boys as well. Diving in to try to sort out the versions of stuff and what decals go with what and what kits even have options is an exercise in its own right.

I forgot to take a picture but one of the airbrush channels I have been binging uses a food dehydrator to speed dry parts and I misunderstood the temp range so I threw two runners from an EG in my oven at the lowest setting (165 F?) after washing/dish soap in advance of paint testing. I can confidently say this is above the acceptable temperature for the kit polystyrene because the runners curled up like tacos in like 3 minutes. Not a huge deal because the kit was $9 and for paint testing anyhow but figured you'd get a kick out of me rolling my runners up into cylinders as I'm trying stupid things with them. Turns out the guy uses the dehydrator at like 120 F (and was talking about the max temp while I happened to zone in, which was in the 160 F range). These are the stupid things I need to run through on the $9 kits before I cut the ribbons on the Ver. Ka stuff haha.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I used delpi on my sazabi build I posted pics of a couple pages back, for reference

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm looking to pick up some tools for scribing soon. Any recommendations? I found several variants of what seems to be basically the same tool set on amazon but I'm not sure if those can be trusted when it comes to long term quality.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I bought a Michaelis on Thursday, so I’ve done my part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One down, thirty thousand to go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

uwaeve posted:

Nice, thanks. I sort of figured if kits are popular enough to still be stocked and selling, it would make sense to keep producing decals and photo etch. However, I have roughly two weeks exposure to the whole hobby and got a little nervous when some of the kits I picked out are like 12 years old at this point.

I'm going for a record for backlog-to-built ratio, since I've completed exactly one kit (RG Destiny) and have somehow amassed the following. Some were bought to practice airbrushing/weathering/decal/coating etc. in hopes that I burn through a bunch of mistakes by the time I'm into the stuff I want to look better than straight builds.

EG RX-78 x 3 (cheap parts for paint and weathering testing)
HG MAILeS BYAKUCHI (50% off going out of business sale)
HG RMS-106 HI-ZACK (curved surfaces paint testing)
HG MS-06S ZAKU II (curved surface paint and weathering testing)
HG Barbatos x 2 (one of the few things I've actually watched is half of IBO so it's at least something I've seen, second kit is weathering testing for the MG below)
HG Aerial (one of the few things I've actually watched is half of WFM so it's at least something I've seen)

MG RGM-96X JESTA (will probably start MGs with this as straight build, saw it recommended as not overly complex or finicky)
MG FREEDOM 2.0 (prob straight build or maybe I'll be into painting/weathering by then)
MG Barbatos (this is the one I found an article about weathering that I want to build up to)
MG Nu Ver. Ka (probably saving this one til I get a bunch of mistakes out of my system)
MG Sinanju Stein Ver. Ka (probably saving this one til I get a bunch of mistakes out of my system).

Do yourself a favour, go take a look at any of the Kyoukai Senki weapon/option sets now while they're still relatively easy to find to see if any take your fancy. A lot of the machine-specific parts are designed for the MAILeS Byakuchi.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Tin Tim posted:

I'm looking to pick up some tools for scribing soon. Any recommendations? I found several variants of what seems to be basically the same tool set on amazon but I'm not sure if those can be trusted when it comes to long term quality.

They definitely can't. They'll get the job done and are a great inexpensive starter, but in the long term you'll want something like this in the sizes you need with a handle for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, the pilot is really unpopular.

Guel's Dilanza didn't sell initially, but it got two boosts, the first from the period where anything Witch was impossible to keep in stock, and the second from Guel becoming one of the more fleshed out characters on the show, with an arc and sympathetic POVs and such.

The Michaelis, meanwhile, was released once Witch kits had less of a "Get it when you see it, you will not see it again" reputation in stores, so there wasn't the crazy boost you get for The New Big Thing, meaning it had to go on its own merits... and Shaddiq sucks. He's a white-knighting loser who gets outplayed by everyone who even remotely tries, only gets in robot fights when he has a bunch of cheats and other people to do the work for him (where he still loses), and his big plan is really, really dumb. Like Full Frontal, but without the leverage or the "I don't loving care. It doesn't matter. I just have to do something, and this is something. So I'm doing it." attitude.

Worse, Shaddiq is an unpopular character who was expected to be popular. Where Iok was a known loser and thus had his suit moved to P-Bandai where it could avoid overprinting, Shaddiq's suit is right on the shelves competing with Aerial and the other kits people actually want.