Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only one of those I have on PC is 12 and it runs great for me. Can't really speak to any of the others but as far as I know 12's PC port is pretty solid.

I refuse to play any of the modern rereleases of FF8 though because they don't have the analog movement the original PS1 version did and that bugs me to no end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Tbf its not just square thats bad at pc ports it seems

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly just do whatever you like. Like you can pretty much do and explore whatever til you go 'oh man I want to explore this area but invisible barriers until I progress the plot'. In fact it's easier to complete like 80% of the optional content in the earlier chapters.

Sick, I probably would've done more side stuff before even getting the news or going to the tomb but everything outside that initial desert/savanna area was locked.

Speaking of desert/savanna, that and the dotting of the landscape with random outposts gives the game a weird postapocalyptic feel. Like I'm venturing through a Fallout-style wasteland/civilization just without the radiation, plus the boys.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

gotta say, I'm pretty impressed at how bad Square is at PC ports even now. was trying to decide how to play FF7 and then realized only the Switch/PS4 ports have the 3x speed and random battle toggles. the pc version has lots of mods but none that can do this easily, and would be a hassle to set up on a Steam Deck.

it's somewhat excusable for FF7 since the new PC version and the console ports came out like 4 or 5 years apart, but somehow this is STILL a problem with the Pixel Remasters, which came out on console like 6 months after PC. gah.

I thought about picking up 8 or 10 or 12 while they're on the Steam sale, but the reviews all mention lots of crash issues, and 8 apparently doesn't really work on Deck even though it's listed as playable. Guess I'll be using the Switch for a while if I'm gonna continue playing more FF games.

This is funny because switch version of FFX doesn't have speed up but pc version does apparently. Can't even keep it consistent

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crisis Core is fun but it's reminding me how dumb I think the whole "one wing" thing is. From something that was just the title of a final boss theme to certain types of SOLDIER just sprouting a wing sometimes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Shinra too fuggin' cheap to spring for a second wing smh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Angeal's line about how Angels dream of being human is further proof that the Remake series is about saving Sephiroth from Jenova. Mark my words

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Harrow posted:

The only one of those I have on PC is 12 and it runs great for me. Can't really speak to any of the others but as far as I know 12's PC port is pretty solid.

I refuse to play any of the modern rereleases of FF8 though because they don't have the analog movement the original PS1 version did and that bugs me to no end

Actually they've modded that back in, along with controller vibration.

And modded true analog movement into FF7.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Before I attempt, does the Community Guide for getting SoP running on Steam Deck work well enough?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually they've modded that back in, along with controller vibration.

And modded true analog movement into FF7.

Oh poo poo finally? Last time I checked I couldn't find a mod for that. Hell yeah

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

Crisis Core is fun but it's reminding me how dumb I think the whole "one wing" thing is. From something that was just the title of a final boss theme to certain types of SOLDIER just sprouting a wing sometimes

His final boss form in FFVII literally had one wing though

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo finally? Last time I checked I couldn't find a mod for that. Hell yeah

Yeah, it's built in to the FFNx renderer which works for both FF7 and 8.

Edit: not sure if it supports FF8 remastered, I only have the original steam version. :shrug:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 14, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

His final boss form in FFVII literally had one wing though

Safer Sephiroth has way more than one wing, the whole bottom half of his body is wings

IIRC he didn't sprout a wing in his human form at all until Kingdom Hearts, and then that echoed back into the FFVII universe through Crisis Core. I could be missing a link there though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wizard2 posted:

Before I attempt, does the Community Guide for getting SoP running on Steam Deck work well enough?

Yeah

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

all this time later and there are still no clean rips of the Theatrhyhm Final Bar Line original tracks.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's the performance of XII TZA and XV Royal edition on PC as compared to console? I have I-XI + the XIIIs + XIV on PC, and I did have TZA and XV on my PS4, but my dumb rear end got a digital PS5 when my XII/XV are on disc. I guess I could get my PS4 out of storage when I feel like playing those two, but I'm not averse to just having my full FF collection (sans XVI) on my PC assuming the ports for those two are decent.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rebirth -> Reverse -> Bizarro is still really funny to me

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

What's the performance of XII TZA and XV Royal edition on PC as compared to console? I have I-XI + the XIIIs + XIV on PC, and I did have TZA and XV on my PS4, but my dumb rear end got a digital PS5 when my XII/XV are on disc. I guess I could get my PS4 out of storage when I feel like playing those two, but I'm not averse to just having my full FF collection (sans XVI) on my PC assuming the ports for those two are decent.

XII runs great on pc.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

They're both decent ports, although XV only uses DLSS 1.0 if you have a Nvidia card and never did get updated to support 2.0.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My PC is like seven years old with a GTX 1070 and 16GB of RAM and every FF game I've played except for XIII-2 has run perfectly. Only problem with XII was I couldn't get it to recognize my controller but it actually plays super-well with mouse and keyboard. Don't know much about XV's technical details but it looked great and ran very smoothly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ibblebibble posted:

Both of them run remarkably well on the Steam Deck which runs them through compatibility layers— they run really, really well on PC

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They're both decent ports, although XV only uses DLSS 1.0 if you have a Nvidia card and never did get updated to support 2.0.

You can make it newer with dlss swapper but yeah, 2.0 won't work. It crashes with any 1.x higher than 1.0.17.3 and while it won't crash with 2.x or 3.x, it also won't render anything. Also worth noting is that you can't use DLSS unless you're running it at 4k resolutions, though at least DSR counts so I can turn it on for my 1440p monitor.

Also in my experience FFXV crashes on Steam Deck but that may also be a bunch of Steam Workshop mods. So I play on PC rather because I will not be giving up Flavortown Ignis or Chocolina Prompto.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Agents are GO! posted:

XII runs great on pc.

Yeah I'm finishing up a playthrough of Zodiac Age and it runs super well on Steam Deck. Very cozy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nice to hear about XII and XV. I did hear that the 7R port isn't great? I'm fine with getting that on the PS5 though to join XVI and SoP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

Nice to hear about XII and XV. I did hear that the 7R port isn't great? I'm fine with getting that on the PS5 though to join XVI and SoP.

7R got better I believe, it was one of the first major DX12 shader compilation stutter fiends though

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

it did, ty :stoked:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

In the spirit of the Four Job Fiesta, I managed to nab a "Triple Crown" in FF12 TZA. Not at all the same thing, but felt good nevertheless.

Zodiark took the most attempts at 5; I kept getting him down to 3-5% and failing to finish him off. Finally just steamrolled him by loading everyone up with berserk wine and the biggest weapon they could yield. Always sent in Vaan and Reddas to eat the first Darkja, as is tradition.

If we count needing to leave to buy more Phoenix Downs as "attempts" then I had to take 4 of them for Yiazmat. This was by far the hardest fight. I tried a Decoy-and-Heal strategy for awhile, but that stopped working when Yiazmat enraged. Then I did the Reverse-Decoy thing with my healer while the other two did damage. That worked okay except when things would go loving pear-shaped because the idiot AI would wander in front of Yiazmat during a breath attack and the healer would have to raise them, possibly missing a crucial Reverse cast. The insta-death procs also sent the team into a chain-rez frenzy like some old Everqust raid boss fiasco. Eventually just did the YOLO Reverse strat where everyone gets a Phoenix Down gambit and the healer just casts Reverse. Bastard finally went down. Props to you all who did that on the PS2.

Omega Mark XII lived up to his predecessors by being incredibly easy to cheese with the right setup. Reverse-Decoy on the tank while other just applies Wither over and over again. Poor bastard. At least he didn't die while frozen listening to music.

Dunno if I'm gonna do the fishing mini game to get the last badge for the Wyrmhero Blade - might just keep my medals and finish up. I'm glad I finally did those after not attempting them at all back in the day.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 15, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Not really FF but is the gap in quality between Octopath 1 and 2 big enough that it'll be hard to go 2 > 1?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yes, absolutely, especially in story and cohesiveness

so much in oc2path is very visibly a response to criticisms of oc1path

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

octopath 1 isnt really worth playing imo

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Skip straight to octo2 it is, then. Guess I'll give the octo1 completionist LP a reread instead if I ever feel like it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Listen to the OT1 music, though, that part of it is generally good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Octopath 2 owns

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm glad it's finally on sale so more goons can get in.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Octopath 1 was a cool proof of concept but was lacking in a lot of ways.

Octopath 2 is extremely awesome and does a fantastic job realizing the potential of the concepts introduced in the first game. The final chapter that ties all of the stories together is excellent.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Not really FF but is the gap in quality between Octopath 1 and 2 big enough that it'll be hard to go 2 > 1?

1 is good but 2 is better in every way, I feel like the biggest quality of life change that'll make playing them in that order annoying is that battles are so much faster in 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are some good parts of OT1, but you do lose a good chunk of QoL.

But it's like playing Persona 3 after 5; you're gonna miss out on a lot of those, but it doesn't make it a bad game.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are some good parts of OT1, but you do lose a good chunk of QoL.

But it's like playing Persona 3 after 5; you're gonna miss out on a lot of those, but it doesn't make it a bad game.

Yeah I feel like people are kinda hard on the first because of how much better and precision targeted the second is on fixing its flaws. It’s still a charming game that you can tell was meant to be a proof of concept. Would say do II first, and if someone’s craving more of what it offers play I with the understanding that it’ll necessarily be a step back in quality.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

There's a thread for Octopath Traveler. Probably has a large poster overlap with this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

There's a thread for Octopath Traveler. Probably has a large poster overlap with this thread.

I navigate with bookmarks enough that sometimes I forget that there are other threads in the games forum :v: Thanks.