Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm not sure how many of the cast are SAG-AFTRA members. Most of them are international -- is SAG-AFTRA international or just American? I'm sure Henney is and Pike is but not clear past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why is good omens getting a second season?

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure how many of the cast are SAG-AFTRA members. Most of them are international -- is SAG-AFTRA international or just American? I'm sure Henney is and Pike is but not clear past that.

It’s American but based on my extremely limited experience, anyone who has ever performed in an American produced film is a member. I was excited to see some s2 previews but September isn’t that far away, I can wait if it means writers and actors get what they deserve.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ChubbyChecker posted:

why is good omens getting a second season?

Because it was very well received and the people involved were willing to create one?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

silvergoose posted:

Because it was very well received and the people involved were willing to create one?

it was well received?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably not many, mainly the big names you mentioned but i saw some chatter online about the euro version joining in solidarity and then other chatter saying that couldn’t happen because of some obscure labor law so who knows :shrug:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

it was well received?

Should we keep asking each other snide one line questions irrelevant to the thread because that's not the most annoying possible form of discourse?

There was a short clip of rand tied up shirtless in that vid circle thing in that promo. Didn't we see that before and the thread consensus was probably the flicker flicker flicker scene?

BigHead fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 13, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

it was well received?

Yes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

BigHead posted:

Should we keep asking each other snide one line questions irrelevant to the thread because that's not the most annoying possible form of discourse?

There was a short clip of rand tied up shirtless in that vid circle thing in that promo. Didn't we see that before and the thread consensus was probably the flicker flicker flicker scene?

I think we saw the circle thing, but not Rand in it. Seemed like the flicker scene, but it might be something in the Aiel Waste too.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rand on the wheel was in the last teaser they released many months ago. Most folks believe it’s a TAR or flicker flicker scene. Eons ago before we knew who was on the wheel there was another teaser, the very first or maybe the second where there’s a birds eye shot of that wheel scene and there appears to be a woman walking towards it. Most believe that will be Lanfear.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Equity is affiliated with SAG-AFTRA.

They made a statement on their website yesterday that they stand with sag-aftra.

https://www.equity.org.uk/

The legalities of it are complex, but they are kind of moot as the cast and crew are not entirely subject to the dreadful anti union laws we have here in the UK. The show is filmed in many locations with an international cast and crew.

You may see a junket or premier in the UK if the producers get aggressive with the actors contracts though. Which would be putting the young actors in a lovely bind.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 14, 2023

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SDCC panel cancelled

https://twitter.com/SD_Comic_Con/status/1679654016488275971?s=20

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

honestly this is the best thing that could have happened as long as the actors and writers stand together - the odds that they get a good deal is much better

for WoT specifically they’ll stop working on s3 until the writers are back which means they can adjust and make changes as needed instead of having to film scripts with no rewrites (which is bad)

Also, I don’t see how it would make sense for this to result in pulling the plug entirely. When this ends, there’s going to be a big empty hole of content, since there aren’t scripts being written and rewritten or things being filmed and put in the can, so having a project that’s actively being filmed that can be started back up in relatively fast order and move to screens quickly seems like a benefit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm not sure I want to post the second one in the other thread since naming him is literally a spoiler

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1679891100306382854

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1679891504222068736

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1679891936000495616

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

With the naming him as Ishamael already, I think they're really just remedying one of the artifacts of Jordan going from what was clearly going to be 3 books to a whole lot more, and not trying to draw it out. I'm down for that. Absolutely loving fantastic costumes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I never pictured the nails as that long. I always thought they might be 5 or 6 inches long, but they didn't prevent you from using that hand as long as you were careful. I guess I misunderstood.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

From the new reader thread:

81sidewinder posted:

Third of the way through A Crown of Swords, just finished chapter 12 where...

Perrin [/spoiler]and Faile together is a joy to me. Really dig their bickering and making up. Love those crazy kids. RJ finding new ways for Faile to break Perrin's balls is outstanding. [/spoiler]

They're gonna love Faile kidnapped plotline :negative:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

I never pictured the nails as that long. I always thought they might be 5 or 6 inches long, but they didn't prevent you from using that hand as long as you were careful. I guess I misunderstood.

It's not like the costume decisions are somehow definitive and over write what you imagined from the books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NinjaDebugger posted:

With the naming him as Ishamael already, I think they're really just remedying one of the artifacts of Jordan going from what was clearly going to be 3 books to a whole lot more, and not trying to draw it out. I'm down for that. Absolutely loving fantastic costumes.

It looks like that tweet has been pulled, so I think it was a mistake.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It looks like that tweet has been pulled, so I think it was a mistake.

All the smart people are on strike right now, only the Tweeter of Chaos was left

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Collateral posted:

The legalities of it are complex, but they are kind of moot as the cast and crew are not entirely subject to the dreadful anti union laws we have here in the UK. The show is filmed in many locations with an international cast and crew.

solidarity strikes being illegal isn't exactly complex

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

pik_d posted:

From the new reader thread:

They're gonna love Faile kidnapped plotline :negative:

I really liked perin and faile in the beginning but they were wasted… basically the opposite of Matt who I hated at the start.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I read up to book 9 back when I was in high school a couple of decades ago, and finally got around to finishing the entire series straight through including the Sanderson books. My main takeaways:

-Jesus Christ the middle books are draggy as gently caress. Books 4-11 could have easily been condensed into 4 books with absolutely no loss of actual content or character. Sometimes Jordan seems to be impressing on the reader that things take time to happen, or that people are often conflicted or indecisive about what they need to do, but I feel like he comes back to the same set of preparations or deliberations way too many times before getting to the actual resolution. I love me some big long books that take their time but this poo poo was next level.

-That being said I still felt incredibly compelled to keep reading because I really love the characters he creates and the moments where everything comes together are still incredibly impactful and satisfying. The sheer number of characters and plots that get juggled makes it an incredibly well realized world, even if I have my own thoughts on which plots/people could have been cut way down and which were in dire need of more time.

-I've never read any of Sanderson's other stuff but I thought he did a good job wrapping things up, and it was refreshing to start the books he wrote and have things actually happen. Someone a few posts ago was talking about Aviendha's flash forward sequence in the pillars at Rhuidean and that bit really stuck with me as a great piece of writing. I think I'll check out some of his stuff, would appreciate any recs on where to start.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mistborn if you are okay with quippy heist plots, Stormlight if you want giant epic sometimes depressing tomes. He really likes magic systems and having them explored/defined/researched in-book.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

thekeeshman posted:

I read up to book 9 back when I was in high school a couple of decades ago, and finally got around to finishing the entire series straight through including the Sanderson books. My main takeaways:

-Jesus Christ the middle books are draggy as gently caress. Books 4-11 could have easily been condensed into 4 books with absolutely no loss of actual content or character. Sometimes Jordan seems to be impressing on the reader that things take time to happen, or that people are often conflicted or indecisive about what they need to do, but I feel like he comes back to the same set of preparations or deliberations way too many times before getting to the actual resolution. I love me some big long books that take their time but this poo poo was next level.

-That being said I still felt incredibly compelled to keep reading because I really love the characters he creates and the moments where everything comes together are still incredibly impactful and satisfying. The sheer number of characters and plots that get juggled makes it an incredibly well realized world, even if I have my own thoughts on which plots/people could have been cut way down and which were in dire need of more time.

-I've never read any of Sanderson's other stuff but I thought he did a good job wrapping things up, and it was refreshing to start the books he wrote and have things actually happen. Someone a few posts ago was talking about Aviendha's flash forward sequence in the pillars at Rhuidean and that bit really stuck with me as a great piece of writing. I think I'll check out some of his stuff, would appreciate any recs on where to start.

I recently started reading Sanderson's Cosmere. I've only read some of them (Elantris, it's associated short stories, and three of the Mistborn books).

The first Mistborn book, The Final Empire, is the book that convinced Harriet to have him complete the series and is a great entry point. That book and the next two Mistborn books are a trilogy and are a great read.

The Brandon Sanderson thread here is safe for new readers since they tag spoilers if you want to ask more.

Edit: I'd like to add that The Emperor's Soul was a really beautiful novella that I feel could be read whenever, if you want a small taste of what he can do. You don't need to read Elantris to understand it.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 15, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

I recently started reading Sanderson's Cosmere. I've only read some of them (Elantris, it's associated short stories, and three of the Mistborn books).

The first Mistborn book, The Final Empire, is the book that convinced Harriet to have him complete the series and is a great entry point. That book and the next two Mistborn books are a trilogy and are a great read.

The Brandon Sanderson thread here is safe for new readers since they tag spoilers if you want to ask more.

Edit: I'd like to add that The Emperor's Soul was a really beautiful novella that I feel could be read whenever, if you want a small taste of what he can do. You don't need to read Elantris to understand it.

Emperor's Soul is a great short starting point to see if you will click with Sanderon's style.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A short Twitter thread from WoTcon I guess? I'm surprised there's anything at all

https://twitter.com/Egwene_al_Vere/status/1680224556902916096

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thekeeshman posted:

Related to this, the thing that I can never quite decide whether I like or despise about the series is how much weight it places on how you, the reader, have to be paying super close attention to everybody's state of mind and interpersonal beefs and what so-and-so said to so-and-so eighteen chapters ago.

Like yes, that is how real life works. It is how people think. You'll be having a conversation with someone and you'll be holding a long-simmering grudge against them for something they said offhand two years ago, and they are completely oblivious to how you feel or misinterpreted it or maybe that they had even said it.

But holy goddamn crap is it a lot to ask of a reader. If you put the book aside for a couple of weeks and then pick it up you'll be confronted with a random line of someone' internal monologue interspersed in italics with their external dialogue in a giant wall of text and it'll be like "Light! How could anyone be so stupid, she thought. As though nobody had ever been given such a choice before! Never mind that such things were common in the royal court of Andor, which surely he would have known considering what he had told her the last time they had spoken, but even aside from that it was silly to think that— She broke off" and I'm like ".... loving WHAT" and flipping back 100 pages to try to find what in the god drat she's talking about.

If you're in the mood for that kind of thing it's great, and if you're capable of plowing through it all at a sitting. But it's definitely a choice to put people through that, to make you hold 100 different characters' mind-maps in your head at once and only give you the barest of hints as to what they were thinking about when last you saw them. On a reread it's a little easier, but not much—I'm finding myself consumed with trying to spot the first time X or Y thing is mentioned ("holy poo poo, the Black Ajah were talked about in book 1! Wow, they explained all about ter'angreals way back when? Oh drat, I guess Elayne wanting to be Rand's girlfriend really did come out of nowhere and was a surprise to both of them apparently and it seemed like a foregone conclusion only to Jordan" etc), and the inter-character drama stuff is no easier to keep track of. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone else write like that, maybe for a good reason.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It gets way easier when you've read or listened to it a dozen times, which is definitely something lots of people in the world have done other than me.

Definitely.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

thekeeshman posted:

I wish we had a better idea what was RJ and what was Sanderson in the last books. I've long thought that some of the more disliked passages were actually by RJ and he just hadn't had time to refine it, but they were left mostly as is since it was his.

Androl, though, was obviously a Sanderson creation.

Personally, I always come back to the series because while there are definite lows, the highs are just so high. Nyneave talking to the Malkieri merchant still brings up emotion after many years since I first read it. Not to mention Veins of Gold, both Rhuidean sequences, Mat kicking the gholam through the gate, Talmanes killing the Myrdraal (even though they cheapened it with plot armor)...

I'm almost ready for another re-read.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 15, 2023

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

MajorBonnet posted:

I wish we had a better idea what was RJ and what was Sanderson in the last books. I've long thought that some of the more disliked passages were actually by RJ and he just hadn't had time to refine it, but they were left mostly as is since it was his.

Androl, though, was obviously a Sanderson creation.

Personally, I always come back to the series because while there are definite lows, the highs are just so high. Nyneave talking to the Malkieri merchant still brings up emotion after many years since I first read it. Not to mention Veins of Gold, both Rhuidean sequences, Mat kicking the gholam through the gate, Talmanes killing the Myrdraal (even though they cheapened it with plot armor)...

I'm almost ready for another re-read.

Here are some things that Sanderson has confirmed.

All three books had prologue parts that Jordan had almost/had written completely. The farmer in TGS, the attack at the tower in Kandor in ToM, and the Slayer scene were his. There may have been more but those are the ones I could quickly reference. (The Kandor tower scene is the one that immediately stuck out to me as a Jordan sequence when I first read it).

There were some parts where the chapter was complete, there were some parts where a few paragraphs needed to be expanded into a chapter, and there were some parts where a few sentences needed to be expanded into a chapter. The finite details likely won't be released, but you never know.

The Gathering Storm
- Egwene was mostly Jordan. The Verin Scene was almost entirely written by RJ and that revelation came as a huge shock to Sanderson.
- Rand was mostly (but not entirely) Sanderson filling in the blanks.
- Sanderson felt very uncomfortable writing the spanking sequence but he did it.

Towers of Midnight
- Mat was mostly Jordan. The entire Tower of Ghenjei sequence had been written by Jordan, including the proposal at the end.
- Perrin was mostly Sanderson. Perrin had the least material of the big 5 written out.

AMoL
- This was the book that had the most Sanderson. The scene with Moiraine at Merrilor was Jordan, the epilogue was Jordan, and the basics for who lived/died and what happened were in RJ's notes but very little of the last battle had been written out. I actually really liked Sanderson's choice to make The Last Battle chapter incredibly loving long. He did that to try and make the reader feel some of the exhaustion that the characters were feeling, which I think is neat.
- Harriet made the decision to kill Siuan and Bela, because they had been put in situations that were too dangerous to escape.

Harriet had final say for anything that happened. Apparently a lot of sentences were at minimum Part Brandon, Part Harriet, and Part Maria if they weren't a Jordan sentence.

I haven't hit those three on my reread yet but I remember thinking that Sanderson did a nice job ending it. He had an easy job in one hand, because all of the dominos were already starting to fall and where they landed was decided. He also had a monumentally difficult task making sure that the ending was satisfying to the people who were reading the series for 23 years (15 in my case when AMoL came out), and I think he did that in most regards.

e: It will never not be amusing to me that GRRM was the original choice to finish the series.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Towers of Midnight
- Mat was mostly Jordan. The entire Tower of Ghenjei sequence had been written by Jordan, including the proposal at the end.

Mat was a big one I had in mind. I remember a lot of criticism of Sanderson's writing of Mat, but I thought it was more in line with Jordan's writing, just not up to snuff.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

thekeeshman posted:

Agree with a lot of this, but I wouldn't cut a word out The Shadow Rising. Easily my favorite book in the series.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MajorBonnet posted:

Mat was a big one I had in mind. I remember a lot of criticism of Sanderson's writing of Mat, but I thought it was more in line with Jordan's writing, just not up to snuff.

That was a big thing when it came out, people thought Sanderson messed up Mat until it came out that Jordan wrote most of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

- Sanderson felt very uncomfortable writing the spanking sequence but he did it.

Nothing has ever felt more obvious

Thing read like a hostage message

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I honestly felt like Sanderson era Mat was just a more concentrated Mat than Jordan era Mat was.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just remember the Mat dialogue in TGS being un-Mat like, especially the first time he shows up.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think the fundamental issue is is that while Mat is a funny character, he's not a jokester. His humour largely comes from dramatic irony surrounding him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just remember the Mat dialogue in TGS being un-Mat like, especially the first time he shows up.

Ah yes, complaining about how he can't understand women. So very un-mat like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been like a long time since I read it so maybe I would feel differently now but thats how i remember feeling at the time. Maybe I will start a reread and post impressions in a year when I get to TGS