Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If your door opens outward do you put your screen door on the inside? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I'm gonna jump on forums poster Jerry Cotton aka 3D Megadoodoo 's territory here and ask: what the gently caress is a screen door? I've heard of them in American media, I've seen discussions of them but I'm not quite sure what they are or what purpose they serve.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

A door that's basically a frame with a screen, usually on the exterior portion of a front door so the main door can be open and allow a breeze but keep out bugs (and keep in pets).

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3RNsCuwI-Y

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Right but that just leads me to my devious trap: why would you have your door open anyway? I thought everyone had AC in America unlike horrendously poor Europe where they suffer in sweltering heat for like at least a whole week in July and they have to resort to communist measures like inducing cross draft in their buildings overnight to keep cool.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ruflux posted:

Right but that just leads me to my devious trap: why would you have your door open anyway? I thought everyone had AC in America unlike horrendously poor Europe where they suffer in sweltering heat for like at least a whole week in July and they have to resort to communist measures like inducing cross draft in their buildings overnight to keep cool.

The United States is very large and has multiple climate zones.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ruflux posted:

Screen doors were developed before AC. Electricity is expensive, breezes are free.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The United States is very large and has multiple climate zones.

Tell that to the people who send me incredibly rude messages on the Facebook.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Screen doors were developed before AC. Electricity is expensive, breezes are free.

I dunno, sounds pretty communist to me...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

With this air quality?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

FCKGW posted:

Yes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is a screen door:

Screen doors also serve the social function of deliberately opening the interior door so you can talk to someone, but not the screen door so they are not invited in. This is how you deal with salesmen and other unwelcome visitors when your upbringing requires you answer the door but you want to be passive-aggressive about rebuking them.

I assume that exterior doors open inward so that when someone comes up and knocks, they don't have to then back away/down the steps waiting for you to open the door. It also means that if someone leaves a package or something on your stoop you won't slam that door into it and knock it down the stairs. I suppose countries with outward doors just handle these things differently in a way that doesn't bother them.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
The snow thing made sense to me but I'm Canadian and it's interesting to hear of other snowy places that still go the other way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A door with a screen in it. The internet of things is getting out of hand, I tell you.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Shifty Pony posted:

Reminds me of people who xeriscape their yards thinking it will cut down on yard work only to discover they traded 30 minutes of easy mowing once a week for an entire day of difficult weeding once a month.

I mean, I xeriscaped because it's the loving desert and I wanted to cut down on wasteful water consumption but I still planted local native plants and shrubs. Plus trees in the back for future shade.

If you let anything go wild here all you'd have is highly invasive cheatgrass :(.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Window screens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ashcans posted:

Screen doors also serve the social function of deliberately opening the interior door so you can talk to someone, but not the screen door so they are not invited in. This is how you deal with salesmen and other unwelcome visitors when your upbringing requires you answer the door but you want to be passive-aggressive about rebuking them.

Cops will literally put their foot in the door, and now you can’t close it without committing “assault on an officer”.

They’d probably just open the screen door if you had one though.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
and that's why you look through the window or peep hole first

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I get wanting outswing doors on buildings with a lot of people, that's why America has the same law...on commercial buildings. Do Nordic people expect to be crushed to death by their spouse and 2.5 children during an emergency?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Have you not seen Force Majeure?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

We should probably set up an FAQ about this, given how regularly this gets discussed

The Nordic countries typically mandate outwards facing doors since the 1800s, after a number of incidents where dozens of people died in fires or stampedes in churches that had doors that opened inwards.

And no, our front doors can't be stolen off the house because the hinges have built-in jamb pins.

just wanna say thanks for trying to stop the inevitable intercontinental exchange of smug day 1 takes on door opening direction and accompanying inevitable hinge-based gotchas, you were doomed to fail but it was worth trying

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We all await the day humanity finally invents Star Trek doors that slide to the sides with a gentle "whoosh"

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

We all await the day humanity finally invents Star Trek doors that slide to the sides with a gentle "whoosh"

You know in European Starfleet it slides up, due to an unfortunate incident in 2214, where...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Have you not seen Force Majeure?

I learned everything I need to know about force majeure from the back of my ticket for the Super Barto jackpot drawing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

In one of the "making of" books I've read about the original series, the author relates an anecdote that during the run, a homebuilder came to the set to ask about the doors. They were building an "ultramodern" housing development and wanted automatic sliding doors in the houses, but they were having a bastard of a time getting them to operate quickly enough and wanted to ask the Trek producers how they got their doors to slide open and closed so quickly and silently.

They were pretty annoyed to learn that the answer was "have two guys on either side of the wall out of the shot who pull the doors open on cue".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jenkl posted:

You know in European Starfleet it slides up, due to an unfortunate incident in 2214, where...

Except in France, where they use iris style openings just to be different than the British

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here are some examples of sliding front doors
https://alumi.st-grp.co.jp/products/entrance/hikido/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Loezi posted:

IIRC the Finnish "doors must open outwards" comes from a couple tragedies in something like the 1700s where people in a church panicked and tried to exit all at once, causing a crush at the inwards-opening doors. So it's an evacuation/fire safety thing.

There's also a practical side to it. In winter you get snow packed against the door. If the door opens inward then that snow will fall in with the door and onto the door treshold. This can cause the door not to close properly, and a puddle on your floor.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Nenonen posted:

There's also a practical side to it. In winter you get snow packed against the door. If the door opens inward then that snow will fall in with the door and onto the door treshold. This can cause the door not to close properly, and a puddle on your floor.

Sure, you have to climb out a window to dig the packed snow away from the door so you can open it outward, but that's a feature, not a bug.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jenkl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2ebIFh-a8

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Sure, you have to climb out a window to dig the packed snow away from the door so you can open it outward, but that's a feature, not a bug.

This can only happen if you stay indoors for weeks without going out and shoveling the snow. Or if you live in a Groverhaus where the roof snow falls in front of your door. Fresh snow is light and easy to push away.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nenonen posted:

This can only happen if you stay indoors for weeks without going out and shoveling the snow. Or if you live in a Groverhaus where the roof snow falls in front of your door. Fresh snow is light and easy to push away.

Even in Detroit you can get a foot (30cm) of snow overnight and if the temperature is warm enough that its transitioning back and forth between snow and drizzle it can be incredibly heavy.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

In the PNW we always make the door swing in, if it swings out it can get rain/drizzle on the top and then pull it back into the door frame when closed.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I would like to convert my door to an outswing someday to reclaim a few square feet of space to put a little "mudroom"-esque built in for shoes and a dump zone.

No weather to worry about in Arizona.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Qwijib0 posted:

I would like to convert my door to an outswing someday to reclaim a few square feet of space to put a little "mudroom"-esque built in for shoes and a dump zone.

No weather to worry about in Arizona.

I'm going to start calling the bathroom the dump zone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Even in Detroit you can get a foot (30cm) of snow overnight and if the temperature is warm enough that its transitioning back and forth between snow and drizzle it can be incredibly heavy.

Sounds like a bitch to clean when all that snow comes in when you open the door, then!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nenonen posted:

Sounds like a bitch to clean when all that snow comes in when you open the door, then!

Wet snow holds its shape and just stands there like a cartoon. Anything that does come in lands on the tiny rug just inside the door for wiping your feet. Besides, its a moot point because most Americans just leave out the vertically opening door for their attached garage because that's where we keep our cars, bikes, snowblowers, and shovels.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
isn't the whole point of a porch to not have rain and snow right at your front door?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

GotLag posted:

isn't the whole point of a porch to not have rain and snow right at your front door?

Whoever built my home wants you to knock off all this crazy talk and leave them alone.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GotLag posted:

Depends on the porch and if you have one at all. Mostly mine exists to give the Amazon guy a place to put my packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GotLag posted:

Yup, they block the wind from blowing poo poo up there too.

Dumb non-porch havers.