Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

See American houses have something called a circuit breaker that cuts the current off at the source in a situation like that. The entire line goes dead, not just the part protected by the fuse that you inexplicably cram directly into your plug bodies

Uk houses don’t have circuit breakers???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

what? yes they do lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ur not gonna win this one haichebagge

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cat Face Joe posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

my point is your plugs are unsafe and your outlets are practically begging to start a fire

i can see how you might believe that, since your nanny state doesn't trust its adult citizens with electricity or televisions or knives, so you might expect that these things are a lot more dangerous than they really are. but american houses don't burn down any more often than british ones

ADINSX posted:

Uk houses don’t have circuit breakers???

their circuit breakers don't work properly:

quote:

Part of the ring missing or disconnected can result in 2.5 mm2 cables running above rated current without this being obvious to the user.

Inadvertent cross connection between two 32 A rings means that the fault current protection reaches 64 A and the required fault disconnection times are violated grossly.

Spur circuits attached to the ring can overheat if not fused at the spur-point (i.e., if a BS 5733 or similar fused spur is not used)

Regulation 433-02-04 of BS 7671 requires that the installed load must be distributed around the ring such that no part of the cable exceeds its rated capacity. In some cases this requirement is difficult to guarantee, and may be largely ignored in practice, as loads are often co-located (e.g., washing machine, tumble dryer, dish washer all next to kitchen sink) at a point not necessarily near the centre of the ring.[6] However, the fact that the cable rating is 67% that of the circuit breaker, not 50%, means that a ring has to be significantly out of balance to cause a problem.

In a ring circuit, if any poor joint causes a high resistance on one branch of the ring, current will be unevenly distributed, possibly overloading the remaining conductor of the ring.

basically you have to have the fuses on the plugs in addition to the circuit breaker, because the ring main creates new and exciting fault conditions in which the circuit breaker will not trip

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now i'm off to eat a dinner of curry, a food from india that the british hilariously claim is their national dish

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

basically you have to have the fuses on the plugs in addition to the circuit breaker, because the ring main creates new and exciting fault conditions in which the circuit breaker will not trip

lmfao what if we built the whole airplane out of split neutral circuits

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

hbag posted:

leave it to an american to get mad that its not easy enough to deliver 230 volts directly to your heart

american branch circuits are 120 volts and typically 15A, lower total wattage than than british circuits which is why electric kettles don't work as well in the US, but electric shocks are pretty unlikely to cause serious harm in the US and anything in a spot where it could be near water is gfci protected

anything that could deliver 240 volts is gonna have a different shaped plug

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i think what we can all agree upon is that electricity is the work of the devil and we should go back to the idyllic rural life of the pre-industrial era

although idk if i could give up air conditioning tbh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Honestly the modern US kettles are good. i picked this one up a bit ago for tea and it boils up a liter and a half no problemo and the lights on that circuit don't dim at all.

Not like i wouldn't prefer 230/240 for our circuits (if you die to 240v you would have died to 120v anyways) but it gets er done

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

Honestly the modern US kettles are good. i picked this one up a bit ago for tea and it boils up a liter and a half no problemo and the lights on that circuit don't dim at all.

Not like i wouldn't prefer 230/240 for our circuits (if you die to 240v you would have died to 120v anyways) but it gets er done

you practically live in space.

for the rest of us, this 120v bullshit takes a few minutes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

every outlet installed since 1992 is ground pin up so that's not a thing. go off tho

in which states?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ol qwerty bastard posted:

although idk if i could give up air conditioning tbh

Not anymore you can't.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hbag posted:

the american mind cannot fathom the concept of a ground pin

the ground pin is fine, the problem is that its not polarized

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

you practically live in space.

for the rest of us, this 120v bullshit takes a few minutes

stop trying to boil a gallon at a time. i use a kettle every morning to add water to americanos and it doesn’t take more than a minute to heat up (admittedly i only add 80°C water because hotter makes the coffee taste worse but my so drinks tea every day with it so my point stands)

sure it would be quicker with higher voltage but it’s honestly very quick

i did know a french lady that demanded her husband out a high voltage outlet in the kitchen so she could make faster toast or something tho lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Schuko or gtfo.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

tag urself https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Overview.html

i'm denmark

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im "Chinese socket for flat blade plugs (220V), Europlugs and Australasian plugs*, the most commonly used plugs in China (PRC).
* Chinese GB 2099-1 standard on plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im the australian sad ghost

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i can see how you might believe that, since your nanny state doesn't trust its adult citizens with electricity or televisions or knives, so you might expect that these things are a lot more dangerous than they really are. but american houses don't burn down any more often than british ones

their circuit breakers don't work properly:

they're real weird about electricity in the bathroom too, because apparently gfci/rcd is magic technology that hasn't reached knife crime island yet, which is why the lights have pull chains like the basement lights in your grandma's house, you can't plug in a full-power hair dryer or curling iron, and if you want to install a modern bidet, you have to drill a giant glory hole in the wall (because every plug looks like the kind you find on a dryer) and run the wire into the adjacent hallway or room

i guess they're worried that you might splash and short something as you rapidly flip your hands between the separate freezing cold and scalding hot taps on the bathroom sink

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 15, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hahaha oh right, a single gfci would jack up the whole ring i guess, right? i know how gfci works but have no idea how ring circuits work so maybe that's not true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
modern UK ring circuits generally have a gfci at the breaker panel level which is honestly the only thing they probably do right. The reason they dont allow AC power sockets or proper switches in the bathroom is nanny state tradition because they dont trust you not to dunk the hair dryer in the water

At the same time they still require you to have 2 faucets in the bathroom because the cold is potable and the hot comes from a cistern in the attic filled with disease

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

knife crime island

violent brutes aren't they, those br*tish savages.

anyway time to go drink my morning coffee out of a high-capacity magazine while i read today's mass shooting reports, a thing that happens literally every day in my enlightened and civilized country

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

grass is always greener

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
you dont READ about the mass shootings you watch them live on tv.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

shame on forums poster The_Franz for calling the UK "knife crime island" instead of the more accurate "terf crime island"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wonder if two places can be messed up in different ways

nah, there can only be one bad thing

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The building regs changed a few years ago and now real sockets in a UK bathroom are now just effectively banned, rather than actually banned

You can have them but they have to be ≥3m from the edge of a bath or shower, which if you're aware of the size of the average British home is loving hilarious

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Iirc, the USA has more knife crime per capita than the UK as well.

But as we all know, the USA has more people per capita. You have to account for that. :v:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Antigravitas posted:

Iirc, the USA has more knife crime per capita than the UK as well.

But as we all know, the USA has more people per capita. You have to account for that. :v:

as discussed, it's not a well grounded place

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

The building regs changed a few years ago and now real sockets in a UK bathroom are now just effectively banned, rather than actually banned

You can have them but they have to be ≥3m from the edge of a bath or shower, which if you're aware of the size of the average British home is loving hilarious

lmao that puts them on the outside of your neighbor's house.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

schafft neue Dimensionen? buddy, they won't even let me schafft!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

didn't realize this was two pics at first and was way confused

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

shame on forums poster The_Franz for calling the UK "knife crime island" instead of the more accurate "terf crime island"

I was going to say that the preferred nomenclature is "airstrip one" but terf island no longer has any utility to the rest of oceania now that they left the EU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

:poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OMH4S73AH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I was going to say that the preferred nomenclature is "airstrip one" but terf island no longer has any utility to the rest of oceania now that they left the EU

nah its still valid. all the terfs round here were imported from there.