Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We've been ambushed by a Sith battle fleet! The Endar Spire is under attack! Hurry up - we don't have much time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

KOTOR was my first exposure to DnD style stat building RPG systems so i can't even imagine how badly made my Light Side Solider/Guardian was back in the day :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

We've been ambushed by a Sith battle fleet! The Endar Spire is under attack! Hurry up - we don't have much time!

"We take different shifts. That's probably why you haven't seen me before."

That top tier BioWare writing!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That was one of the games I got for my first PC, which IIRC had a 128 MB graphics card, and something about the sunset effect on Dantooine turned it into a slideshow. I would have to pick out a destination, hold down W, read a book or something and hope I had arrived five minutes later.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chairman Capone posted:

Happy 20th anniversary to Knights of the Old Republic. Feels like it was just the 20th anniversary to Heir to the Empire!
People say that two decades doesn't seem like a long time for the Empire to exist, but I feel goddamn ancient reading this.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rochallor posted:

That was one of the games I got for my first PC, which IIRC had a 128 MB graphics card, and something about the sunset effect on Dantooine turned it into a slideshow. I would have to pick out a destination, hold down W, read a book or something and hope I had arrived five minutes later.

Geez and I thought my then-PC's integrated graphics lacking Hardware Transform and Lighting functionality (thus making all the reflective cube maps in the game render as transparent or a glossy white) was annoying

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arc Hammer posted:

On the flip side of that mood-wise, just standing around in Manaan and vibing to the soundtrack is one of my all-time favorite chill moments in gaming even today. Was delighted to repeat the experience when the planet popped up again in the Old Republic MMO with the developers wisely re-using the same theme, though you never got to really linger on the planet there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

On the flip side of that mood-wise, just standing around in Manaan and vibing to the soundtrack is one of my all-time favorite chill moments in gaming even today. Was delighted to repeat the experience when the planet popped up again in the Old Republic MMO with the developers wisely re-using the same theme, though you never got to really linger on the planet there.

I did get an odd serotonin hit when you go to the wreck of the Endar Spire as part of the Republic side in SWTOR.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MadDogMike posted:

Just the other day I watched this video and the musical divide between Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 is a frigging chasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP8sw97Quv4

Kotor 1: Peaceful, serene and occasionally intimidating with a ton of Jeremy Soule Brass.

Kotor 2: There is a wound that won't heal at the center of the galaxy reaching into everything like rust.

I love Soule's music a lot especially his Skyrim and Dawn of War music but Mark Griskey is something else when it comes to Star Wars music that feels Star Wars without feeling like it's aping Williams.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 17, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Dawgstar posted:

I could believe considering how you're basically just waking up in the new personality they constructed for you and they weren't expecting to be attacked that was the best he could come up with on short notice and hoped you'd just accept it and move on without too many questions

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This does make me wonder just wtf their plan was for Revan once they woke up from the coma. Why'd they have them on a battleship going to Taris rather than just keeping them in whatever secure place they presumably did the mindbender on them at?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another question: why the hell were they going to Taris in the first place? What was one cruiser going to do against an entire planet under blockade?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gnome de plume posted:

I could believe considering how you're basically just waking up in the new personality they constructed for you and they weren't expecting to be attacked that was the best he could come up with on short notice and hoped you'd just accept it and move on without too many questions

It's more funny that it's just written clunkily like a lot of BioWare stuff. I, the player, am not thinking 'why haven't I seen you before' because I haven't seen anything in the game before.

Slashrat posted:

This does make me wonder just wtf their plan was for Revan once they woke up from the coma. Why'd they have them on a battleship going to Taris rather than just keeping them in whatever secure place they presumably did the mindbender on them at?

They were hoping to be able to access Revan's memories to get a leg up against the Sith and were hoping to use Bastila's bond with him - which they got when Bastila defeated and then saved Revan before his memory wipe - to draw it out and Bastila was too valuable to the war effort to just have her sit around.

Arc Hammer posted:

Another question: why the hell were they going to Taris in the first place? What was one cruiser going to do against an entire planet under blockade?

It was, according to Wookiepedia, ambushed and forced out of hyperspace so it might be imagined it was headed to link up with a Republic fleet so Bastila could do her Battle Meditation thing and the fleet could break the blockade around Taris.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 17, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

io9 has an interview with Casey Hudson on KOTOR's development, including some pieces of concept art by John Gallagher that haven't been shared before:

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-knights-old-republic-bioware-interview-20th-1850633925

A few interesting tidbits at the end about things that were changed during development, including Lucasfilm forcing them to cut back more development of the Tuskens. I'm guessing due to the Anakin massacre scene in Attack of the Clones?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

io9 has an interview with Casey Hudson on KOTOR's development, including some pieces of concept art by John Gallagher that haven't been shared before:

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-knights-old-republic-bioware-interview-20th-1850633925

A few interesting tidbits at the end about things that were changed during development, including Lucasfilm forcing them to cut back more development of the Tuskens. I'm guessing due to the Anakin massacre scene in Attack of the Clones?

yeah. i did actually like mando and boba fetts development of tuskans even if fett was weakned from it a bit(bigger issues)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

That's really surprising, because AotC goes out of its way to present the Tuskens as a culture for the first time, largely I think to make Anakin's massacre of them more horrifying. It's possible to read them in ANH and TPM as just a bunch of raiders who live out in the desert and dress like that because it's hot, but in AOTC you explicitly see them living in family groups and wearing gendered clothing and stuff. I think you'd want to do more to show them as a culture.

I really liked that the final reward you get for the culmination of the big Tusken quest, IIRC, is just the story of their history. No gem, no XP, just being told their foundational myth. Maybe that quest line got borked due to the Lucasfilm requirements, but it felt like a brave choice.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i did actually like mando and boba fetts development of tuskans even if fett was weakned from it a bit(bigger issues)

Totally agreed, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen sci-fi groups communicating with sign language. I don't think Mando or Fett were the best places to tell that story, but every little bit we get of the Tuskens is worthwhile.

Also, I know it doesn't really matter since they're not real, but it's kinda hosed up that the only two names we have for the people, Tusken Raiders and sand people, are obviously derogatory names given to them by outsiders.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, agreed both that the Tusken part of Boba Fett was really good, and also like the development they got in the Mando S2 premiere. Speaking of, that episode felt like an adaptation of one of the Tatooine sidequests from KOTOR.

And I also don't know why Lucasfilm would be against KOTOR humanizing the Tuskens in relation to the AOTC scene but that's the only thing I could think of that made sense, especially during what would have been the development timeframe of the game. (Speaking of, I remember when Manaan concept art came out in 2001 or 2002, people thinking it was the same water planet that was going to be in AOTC.)

On the subject of Tuskens in games and AOTC, it was kind of funny that Jedi Academy came out the year after AOTC and had a mission where your Jedi character could just run around slaughtering Tuskens who were depicted as mindless savages. A bit of a walk-back from the movie....

Rochallor posted:

Also, I know it doesn't really matter since they're not real, but it's kinda hosed up that the only two names we have for the people, Tusken Raiders and sand people, are obviously derogatory names given to them by outsiders.

Aren't their name for themselves the Ghorfa? I forgot if that was in KOTOR or not in the tale about their history.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Lucasfilm nixing deeper exploration of Tusken culture in KotOR is almost certainly just to avoid Bioware stepping on the toes of the script writers for the movie, and any excuse they gave would just be to avoid leaking that the Tusken Raiders would show up in the movie. Pre-production on KotOR started in 2000, and filming on AotC began later that year, so Lucasfilm would have known with certainty early in pre-production that the movie would be using the Tusken Raiders.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Speaking of KOTOR, the E3 2001 demo was recently uploaded to youtube. There's quite a few differences from the finished game, but a lot of that can probably be chalked up to all the scenario-specific stuff being placeholder. It is interesting that they were suggesting there could be time-sensitive game elements though, like missing a transport to another planet because you spent too long doing sidequests.

There was also a bit of information floating around at the time that never made it into the game - such as your character having a sibling who was a powerful Jedi, or the game's website saying you could visit 10 different planets. 8 made it into the game (if you count the Yavin station DLC) and Sleheyron was cut, so I wonder what the 10th planet was going to be? Maybe they were counting the Star Forge as a separate planet?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

Back in the day it wasn't quite so played out. I know people love to say they totally saw the twist coming in the first scene when they played it and to those people I wish them the best of luck in finding something surprising someday, because clearly they've seen all the tricks and must be terminally bored by now.

Rochallor posted:

Yeah I got that on the machine I had access to at the time. I never worked out what the problem was, but it wasn't consistent and seemed to get worse when I didn't have force speed active. Weird as poo poo :shrug:

Rochallor posted:

I really liked that the final reward you get for the culmination of the big Tusken quest, IIRC, is just the story of their history. No gem, no XP, just being told their foundational myth. Maybe that quest line got borked due to the Lucasfilm requirements, but it felt like a brave choice.
I really enjoyed that. Told me that the writers had confidence that by that point you were 100% hooked on peeling back a little more of the history of the galaxy and they knew you'd agree that the Tuskens' story was a reward worth getting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Best part is that you can thank the Tuskens for telling you the story of their people by having HK-47 translate your apology for killing their tribesmen and stealing their clothes. HK thinks this is a wonderful idea which tells you something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Back in the day it wasn't quite so played out. I know people love to say they totally saw the twist coming in the first scene when they played it and to those people I wish them the best of luck in finding something surprising someday, because clearly they've seen all the tricks and must be terminally bored by now.

Oh, it got me too. I've never been able to do evil playthroughs of games, mostly because like in BioWare they're cartoonishly evil, but just once I had to side with Dark Side Bastila when she came to recruit me and offed Jolee and Juhani and it was pretty fun and I did it because I didn't see it coming.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I do wish that the game locked you out of a hero ending if you played dark side. Taking every evil option in the game and then not only rejecting Bastila's offer, but bringing her back to the good side by acting like you've been some paragon of virtue the whole time is pretty clunky. At the very least, having some options gated by morality in the same way there's dialogue options for different skills could have added some depth to the system.

Jedi Knight actually had a pretty good implementation. If you played Dark Side up to the point where the story diverges, the game made you watch as it stripped away any Light powers you'd accumulated in the game one by one, and then played the cutscene where Kyle kills Jan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of that sort of thing would presumably have been included in the stalled remake. People talked about the party influence system being revolutionary back then even if it was just an incremental improvement on the Baldur's Gate era alignment party morale system.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If the remake ever actually does come out, one thing I hope they do change is the combat system. It wasn't bad once I got used to it, but I don't think it's aged well.

I'm also curious if it will/would have included a voice for Revan, which is the other thing that kind of feels out of time now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rino Romano is the voice of Revan in Kotor 1

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

Rino Romano is the voice of Revan in Kotor 1

I...also don't remember Revan having a voice. What?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

I...also don't remember Revan having a voice. What?

He has combat barks and action barks whenever you slice computers or unlock doors.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They also brought Revan back in SWTOR, where he was voiced by Jeff Benett or Spencer Garrett depending on which quest you're on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robot Style posted:

They also brought Revan back in SWTOR, where he was voiced by Jeff Benett or Spencer Garrett depending on which quest you're on.

They really kinda did the Exile dirty in SWTOR.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think that happened in the Revan novel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Exile does show up in the MMO as a Revan cheerleader and little more.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

He has combat barks and action barks whenever you slice computers or unlock doors.

Interesting. Curious, are those sounds the same when you chose a female character?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 19, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Exile does show up in the MMO as a Revan cheerleader and little more.

Yeah, she's basically holding on as a Force Ghost so she can say vaguely prophetic things until you free Revan and then goes to Force Heaven.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

She does also make a reappearance (probably her most substantial one too) later on when you kill Tenebrae for realzies no-take-backs but yeah, Drew Karpyshyn should be in the Hague

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Interesting. Curious, are those sounds the same when you chose a female character?

I think they change slightly. Charity James does the female combat barks. The one that always sticks out to me for Rino's voice is his Critical Hit bark "That aught to hurt, I bet!" but it has been years since I did a female revan run so I'm hazy on what her barks sound like.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

gently caress yes E-wing. Rest of the trailer looks cool but agree that we’re going to need a Lego E-Wing.

Coming back to this, because you're in luck, an E-wing set tied into the Ahsoka show was just announced. Just fyi, might be very minor spoilers for a few character names with the minifigs included:

https://www.ign.com/articles/comic-con-2023-lego-reveals-new-star-wars-ahsoka-sets

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's a podcast called It's All Stover going over the works of Matthew Stover (unsurprisingly), and since I enjoyed their episodes on Shatterpoint and the ROTS novelization I decided to pick up Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, since I had never read it. Quite good so far, but there's two things that immediately jumped out at me: 1) it's almost a sequel to Shatterpoint, which I was not expecting, and 2) the following passage, concerning the bad guy studying Luke's mannerisms in preparation for taking over his body:

quote:

Yes, there were all those numberless holothrillers—and studying them had been a useful preparation, especially in creating the theatrical Shadowspawn persona and devising the stage dressings of the Shadow Throne—but the computer-generated Farmboy Hero depicted by these holothrillers would convince none but the ignorantly credulous fans who devoured such preposterously contrived tripe.

Did... did Stover predict digital Mark Hamill ten years in the past?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Back when Shadows of Mindor came out I thought it was good, but my least favorite of Stover's Star Wars books (which still puts it ahead of almost any other Star Wars book). But I wonder if reading it now I might have a better reception to it, as I feel like a lot of the plot centers around notions of fandom and casting and sequels/continuity in a way that has more resonance now, after the Disney purchase. The passage you quoted is a perfect example of that.

Please let us know when you finish the book as I have some thoughts on the ending and the way which I think it gets misinterpreted by a lot of fans.

On the general topic, I rewatched the Star Trek TNG episode with Spock in it ("Unification") a few weeks ago and I forgot that a big aspect of it was the Romulans making a holographic copy of Spock. Besides the more modern notions of deepfakes, it also made me think of it as a prescient take on the CGI-ing of legacy characters, especially since Trek has generally gone with recasting instead of Rogue One/Mandalorian-style de-aging or digital copying.

I also remember that during the KOTOR comic, when asked about KOTOR game characters appearing, John Jackson Miller cited "Unification" as a bad example of using legacy characters, which I really didn't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

Back when Shadows of Mindor came out I thought it was good, but my least favorite of Stover's Star Wars books (which still puts it ahead of almost any other Star Wars book). But I wonder if reading it now I might have a better reception to it, as I feel like a lot of the plot centers around notions of fandom and casting and sequels/continuity in a way that has more resonance now, after the Disney purchase. The passage you quoted is a perfect example of that.

Please let us know when you finish the book as I have some thoughts on the ending and the way which I think it gets misinterpreted by a lot of fans.

I've still got a ways to go, but Stover's Luke seems to be very much in conversation with his portrayal in TLJ: extremely skeptical of his role as Hero of the Galaxy, with a villain who is trading on that perception. I'm excited to see how it all ends up.