Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Starsfan posted:

I use hope because whether they meet their goals or not is something that is prospective and in the future and can't be determined one way or the other right now.

My recollection of the end of the Kherson offensive was that Russia did indeed decide to withdraw their forces while Ukraine was preparing another large scale attack. Russia claimed that it was because Ukraine was threatening to blow up the dam which would have isolated their best units in the Russian army (which were the ones fighting in Kherson) on the other side of the Dnieper river. They apparently did this without alerting the Ukrainians who seemed to proceed cautiously expecting a trap and eventually found an evacuated city.

If it cannot be determined why do you say that changing things up is a sign of competency? The results are prospective and in the future and cannot be determined. How can something unknown be competent? How can hope be competence?

My recollection is piles of abandoned Russian gear in the streets following their 'orderly withdrawal'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Starsfan posted:

Why do you think the Russians are doing that if they have no reserves to use in another portion of the line that is under heavy attack? Why go on the offensive in the east?

Like this is what I talked about before.. If you want to live in a world where the Russians are cartoonishly incompetent and have no reason to their actions then ok.. sometimes you'll be proven right I guess. Russians have done some pretty stupid things at times during this conflict. But the Ukrainians would be well advised to not assume a cake walk is upcoming in the south when the Russians run through their last moblik and plan / act accordingly.

You don't seem to understand much about what the Ukrainians are doing.

They are attacking at multiple points on the front to force the Russians to fight everywhere at once. That consumes fuel/ammunition and requires resupply.

Russia's biggest weakness is logistics. The goal is to get Russia moving stuff around then blow it up whenever it's concentrated. Troops without ammunition cannot fight.

They're attacking in the east because a breakthrough there means Russia has to rush reserves and reinforcements there from elsewhere. That makes them weaker elsewhere, and makes it easier to make another breakthrough. It gets easier and easier to interdict supplies the more holes Russia is trying to plug simultaneously.

So again, the point is to get Russia rushing troops and ammo and fuel all over the place, and then blow up the supply trains so that the front collapses in multiple places due to lack of supplies.

That takes time to get going, and no one is expecting any immediate large gains of territory while they're setting it up.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Deteriorata posted:

They're attacking in the east because a breakthrough there means Russia has to rush reserves and reinforcements there from elsewhere. That makes them weaker elsewhere, and makes it easier to make another breakthrough. It gets easier and easier to interdict supplies the more holes Russia is trying to plug simultaneously.

The post I was responding to said that Russia is actually the ones attacking in the east and apparently in Kherson (which I was not personally aware of) which doesn't seem like the actions of a country that is being exerted across all the front and is just barely hanging on..

assuming that Ukraine's strategy is to constantly attack everywhere (which sounds kind of insane to me but whatever I'll take your word for it) when do you expect we will see results of Russian forces being unable to fight and having to fall back from the front?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Starsfan posted:

The post I was responding to said that Russia is actually the ones attacking in the east and apparently in Kherson (which I was not personally aware of)

Ukraine has established a bridgehead at the Antonovskii bridge, which Russians have been trying to erase for some time with high losses.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Starsfan posted:

The post I was responding to said that Russia is actually the ones attacking in the east and apparently in Kherson (which I was not personally aware of) which doesn't seem like the actions of a country that is being exerted across all the front and is just barely hanging on..

Localized attacks don't really mean anything. They could attack elsewhere to relieve pressure, because they see an opportunity or because Putin has fired the competent generals and promoted yes men who do what he says. Even an active defense will require counterattacks periodically.

Starsfan posted:

assuming that Ukraine's strategy is to constantly attack everywhere (which sounds kind of insane to me but whatever I'll take your word for it)

It is normal to put pressure along a line before deciding where to commit. It tells you where enemy defenses are, how strong they are, etc. You don't just roll everything into one spot and hope it isn't a minefield. You look for gaps.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

I'm going by reports in western media that indicate that Ukraine and their western advisors have recognized that Ukraine's approach to the counter offensive was not working and they subsequently changed up to a different approach that they hope will be able to salvage some sort of results out of the whole thing down the line.

Like i don't think it's controversial to suggest that what happened in June was not very good for Ukraine.

I guess Germany doesn't count as "Western" media then, since all I'm seeing in German news media is talk about slow, but steady progress. Basically, not exactly the opposite of what you're claiming, but still close

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Starsfan posted:

I don't get it. Here we have an army that made the conscious decision from the top of command to drive a convoy to Kyiv despite the fact that said convoy didn't have the supplies to actually get there, and when said army does something else that stretches their logistics beyond the rational breaking point the take is 'That's not the sort of thing a stretched force would do so they must have the capacity to do it'.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Starsfan posted:

Just want to be clear here but make sure you know the difference between these things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kherson_Oblast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kherson

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Starsfan posted:

assuming that Ukraine's strategy is to constantly attack everywhere (which sounds kind of insane to me but whatever I'll take your word for it) when do you expect we will see results of Russian forces being unable to fight and having to fall back from the front?

Russia having a fresh history of dramatic failures and retreats from the earlier phases of the war conditions people to expect "success" to be measured by similar total front collapses, and people who ultimately just support russia (no matter how they choose to code this) repeatedly declare an absence of them to be evidence that Ukraine is failing. On top of this, everyone's going back and forth about this in a reframed context of "will russia be able to hold on to the regions they've held on to so far" when the original objectives of the war have become unrecoverable for them.

I'm loosely in the school of thought that the task of winning a war is primarily a logistical concern with a little window dressing (the killing people part) attached to it, so while you might be thinking it's insane to hold pressure against russia on all fronts like Ukraine is doing, I'd think it would be crazy if they weren't doing this, especially considering how the war so far proved that absolute logistical paralysis on multiple levels is one of russia's critical weaknesses that has allowed them to lose so badly so far to literally actually Ukraine

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

is there any serious movement in the west to sanction russia a bit more strictly? Obviously a lot of the existing sanctions are doing something, but Russia is still trading, western corporations are still doing massive business in russia and so on. I'd so love to see the economic warfare side of the conflict ramped up as high as we can. Why haven't we yet? Too many monied interests in the west that still want to do business with russia without too much attention drawn to them?

I think the west is just out of things to sanction. They have almost entirely cut trade with russia. Their biggest weapon was financial sanctions, but cutting off Russian access to SWIFT hasn't really done much to the ruble. There was an initial shock but it stabilized and now the ruble is trading better than it was before the war.

Western manufacturing has declined significantly since the end of the cold war. In order to really hurt Russia with sanctions you'd have to get China to participate because of their massive manufacturing isn't going to happen while simultaneously rattling sabers over Taiwan.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the west is just out of things to sanction. They have almost entirely cut trade with russia. Their biggest weapon was financial sanctions, but cutting off Russian access to SWIFT hasn't really done much to the ruble. There was an initial shock but it stabilized and now the ruble is trading better than it was before the war.

That stopped being true a month or two ago, FWIW.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

is there any serious movement in the west to sanction russia a bit more strictly? Obviously a lot of the existing sanctions are doing something, but Russia is still trading, western corporations are still doing massive business in russia and so on. I'd so love to see the economic warfare side of the conflict ramped up as high as we can. Why haven't we yet? Too many monied interests in the west that still want to do business with russia without too much attention drawn to them?

I think this is a matter more about how to implement enforcement rather than anything else, so I don't see how a movement could happen unless somebody has a eureka moment about how business is conducted.

In theory all US companies can do is ensure they get an export license and that they aren't selling to sanctioned entities. In some cases, they can be liable if its obvious that they are trading to a shell company and not doing due diligence. But there's really no way to make sure that no goods make it to Russia unless you make companies liable for the entire chain of custody which is impractical. Like if you sell chips that end up in a washing machine, should you really be held liable if Russia buys those washing machines and disassembles them for the chips? Obviously, that's an extreme example, but look at this pub from the Department of Commerce for some practical examples:
https://www.justice.gov/file/1571551/download

quote:

Companies should also review BIS and OFAC enforcement and targeting actions, as they often
reflect certain tactics and methods used by intermediaries engaged in Russia-related sanctions
and export evasion .8 In November 2022, for example, OFAC designated individuals and entities
involved in a global procurement network maintained by a Russian microelectronics company,
AOPKKMilandr, which used a front company to transfer funds from Milandr to another front in
a third country , which purchased microchips to divert to Russia. Another front company
elsewhere al so purchased Asian-made components for Milandr . OFAC' s civil enforcement
actions also illustrate a range of sanctions evasion techniques employed across multiple
sanctions programs, including falsifying transactional documents, 9 omitting information from
internal correspondence, 10 and shipping goods through third countries.11

Similarly, BIS imposed an administrative penalty of $497,000 on Vorago Technologies, an
Austin, Texas company, for shipping integrated circuit components, which are critical
components in missiles and military satellites, to Russia via a Bulgarian front company.12 BIS
has also imposed restrictions on seven Iranian drone entities in January 2023 due to their
production of Iranian unmanned aerial vehicles (" UAVs ") used by Russia against Ukraine. These
Iranian UAV entities, which, according to public reporting, had been using diverted U.S.-
branded parts and components, were also sanctioned by OFAC.

This means that US enforcement is largely based on companies doing exporting doing due diligence that they're not shipping to sanctioned individuals or obvious shell companies. Which sorta works for specialized parts that are hard to find in the open market. But this leaves gaps for parts mass production parts that a lot of big warehouses stock up on, because nobody is really expected to track custody for every step of their product. I think investigations can catch the shell companies used and put those on the sanctions list, but its always going to be a battle and there's no silver bullet solution. If the Russian military is operating a network of shell companies buying to buy what they need, there are limits to how companies can catch that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This isn't true anymore, the ruble is now trading worse than ever, excluding the brief dip in march of 2022. The Russian central bank has been frankly stellar in propping up the currency for as long as it has but since India is paying for oil and gas in Rupees and China in Yuan there's almost no demand for Rubles anymore.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Western manufacturing has declined significantly since the end of the cold war. In order to really hurt Russia with sanctions you'd have to get China to participate because of their massive manufacturing isn't going to happen while simultaneously rattling sabers over Taiwan.

It was 'stable' because they were just lying about the value because there was basically nothing to check it against. It's easy to pretend at that point. And as stated, a month ago even this fell apart.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

cutting off Russian access to SWIFT hasn't really done much to the ruble. There was an initial shock but it stabilized and now the ruble is trading better than it was before the war.

I'm having the strangest sense of deja vu here because we already did the talk about russia's closed off funhouse currency valuation

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Edit: I need to learn to read.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 15, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

"There was an initial shock but it stabilized and now the ruble is trading better than it was before the war."

That's gotta be up there with Vladimir Saldo's "everything is fine" while you can see flooded streets out the window.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1666107160378441728

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Uranium supply and nuclear energy cooperation are still not sanctioned
Most consumer goods are not in sanction packages, companies just leave Russia on their own

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Libluini posted:

Some more news from Die Zeit Liveblog:

- South Korea's president Yoon Suk Yeol was suddenly in Kiew, visiting Zelensky. Possibly because North Korea is supporting Russia, which now in turn means South Korea needs to lend more aid? I'm blindly speculating there.
South Korea's armaments industry has been trying to expand into the global market. This war is the best thing to show off your goodies to the world.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1680196888602050560

quote:

Russian Telegram channels post this flyer that was put into mailboxes of the residents of temporarily occupied Enerhodar (the city closest to Zaporizhzhia NPP).

They are invited to move to the Russian Far East.

Translation of the flyer's content is below:

"Ministry of the Russian Federation for the Development of the Far East and the Arctic

Far East and Arctic Development Corporation

Dear Residents of Energodar!
The Far East of Russia is waiting for you!

Take part in the state program of development of the Far East

You can expect:

1. The opportunity to choose any of one of the regions of the Far East

2. Receipt of a lift in the amount of 240,000 rubles additional 120,000 for each family member.

3. Guaranteed employment. Average salary of 55,000 rubles.

4. Preferential conditions for admission to universities for families of program participants.

Contact information.
Etc

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

That guy has a rather sinister take (I suppose as a Russian looking at what is happening), but my takeaway is that the government is being forced to spend absurdly large sums of money to get anyone to fight Ukraine, and even then not getting as many people as it probably needs. That doesn't bode well for the sustainability of their war.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

For immediate placement, report to the Ministry of Admission at Grestin Border Checkpoint.

An apartment will be provided for you and your family in East Grestin. Expect a Class-8 dwelling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pXyOp44Po&t=13s

Not at all trying to make light of this, but it's literally the first thing that came to mind.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 16, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Those are shockingly low figures to be 'tempting' people to move across a continent, even for Russia. A 550eur monthly (I presume) salary average, and a 2400eur relocation bonus.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

550 euros goes a long way in Siberia. But then well, you're in Siberia.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spankmeister posted:

Really? I half expected Siberia to be like the North Slope of Alaska where everything costs $TEXAS because of how hard it is to ship anything in.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Really? I half expected Siberia to be like the North Slope of Alaska where everything costs $TEXAS because of how hard it is to ship anything in.

Yes, a lot of food is ridiculously expensive in smaller cities, especially closer to northern coast - it is offset by very cheap rent.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Well, far east, not Siberia, Siberia is more inbetween European Russia and the Urals and the Russian Far East.

e: Though I guess colloquially "Siberia" is often used for almost the entirety of Asian Russia.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Well, far east, not Siberia, Siberia is more inbetween European Russia and the Urals and the Russian Far East.

e: Though I guess colloquially "Siberia" is often used for almost the entirety of Asian Russia.

Basicaly between the Urals and what Sarah Palin can see from her house is Siberia right??

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

spankmeister posted:

Its not a lot of money even there, though. A quick Google suggests the average monthly salary in Vladivostok is about 900eur/month.

Usually (successful) relocation packages involve paying you a high salary to tempt you to move.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Blut posted:

Its not a lot of money even there, though. A quick Google suggests the average monthly salary in Vladivostok is about 900eur/month.

Usually (successful) relocation packages involve paying you a high salary to tempt you to move.

Yes but don’t forget your kids will have preferred entry to University and not, say, a lifetime of disappointment when the incentives for this program disappear within a few years.

Edit - imagine managing your country in such a way that here are regions you essentially have to send paid colonists too, anda at the same time considering yourself a 21st century world power. Russia under their current regime are like the troublemaker civilisations in a Culture novel, the ones who who chestbeat and think their warrior virtue makes them more powerful than the playfully effete culture, right up until they discover how little effort the Minds were expending to keep them at bay.

Edit edit - to be clear I’m not implying that they’re impotent or that NATO is omnipotent, just that their attitude is a tragic and blinkered one. Under Putin’s guidance they toy with pebbles and pull the wings off flies while the great ocean lies undiscovered, and congratulate themselves on their seamanship.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 16, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Artificial Kid posted:

Edit - imagine managing your country in such a way that here are regions you essentially have to send paid colonists too, anda at the same time considering yourself a 21st century world power.

Not to really equivalents to Russia's policies, but for example the USA has economic programmes to incentivize people to live in Alaska, and South Korea has programmes to incentivize people to live in the DMZ and farm there.

Sometimes places just kinda suck to live, but you need to incentivize communities to live there for geopolitical reasons (supporting resource industries or soft power)

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Various towns and states will offer some kind of financial incentive to move there, but that's just because they need population and economy.

I think it's a different scenario when the reason you're being asked to move is "your current, otherwise attractive, location is about to become a moon crater."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Not to really equivalents to Russia's policies, but for example the USA has economic programmes to incentivize people to live in Alaska, and South Korea has programmes to incentivize people to live in the DMZ and farm there.

Sometimes places just kinda suck to live, but you need to incentivize communities to live there for geopolitical reasons (supporting resource industries or soft power)

Many countries have this yeah, it's just how things are. For instance in Norway, moving to the north and settling there, especially working in some desired job such as a doctor, teacher, policeman or other public servant type job, you'll get tax breaks, the state will pay down your student loans, property is cheap, and so on and so on.
Yet such jobs still stand vacant, public services stagnate or decline, and the overall population is dwindling from young people moving, old people dying and not enough outsiders moving in to replace them.

Vaginaface posted:

I think it's a different scenario when the reason you're being asked to move is "your current, otherwise attractive, location is about to become a moon crater."

Eh, that won't happen even with an accident with the NPP, that's not how they work, even with the most catastrophic of meltdowns. If this is real, I think the reasoning is just that Russian authorities want to remove the current inhabitants to where they won't be an issue and replace them with Russian colonists.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 16, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The only occupied territory where they can reliaby bring colonists are coastline towns like Mariupol with a lot of resorts around. It is not Stalin days where you could just move around hundreds of thousands to pump industry and do wide scale replacement - at best it is seasonal workers to run whatever factories have not been demolished or bombed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Energodar used to be river-side, and it's pretty nice climate, but you probably need some pretty specialized workers there!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the west is just out of things to sanction.
At this point the US and EU could go after companies more aggressively that participate in gray market trade.

Tracking what parts are making into the weapons would make it easy to find out who to go after or at least to start figuring out the gray market supply chain at work.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

but cutting off Russian access to SWIFT hasn't really done much to the ruble.
This is false.

The rouble is being propped up by extraordinary measures and the Russian economy is in pretty bad shape. They've already blown through nearly all their financial reserves that they expected to last the whole year too.

Those reserves were a big part of keeping the lid on things too. Once that is all gone there are still things they can do that, on paper, make the economy look good but will also put it increasingly out of touch with reality since they have a hard time getting foreign currency.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

New Perun video on the importance of artillery at this stage in the war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zcUe47xerQ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Can someone link a timeline chart of Russian foreign currency and gold reserves? I want to try to compare this to past shocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-ukraine-war-putin-cluster-bombs-counteroffensive-missiles-rcna94497

Putin is now threatening to use cluster bombs in Ukraine in what has to be a joke