Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i guess i'm in the yuri zone now

Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon
Doughnuts was a pretty short, sweet and very introspective yuri. It's got the "psychological" tag which I guess means everyone's depressed. Lots of self discovery and some cute romance. The art's good and the story/narrative arc is pretty tight and well executed and I liked all of the characters. Everything felt pretty earned, though maybe slightly rushed. Enjoyed it quite a bit!

Kimi to Shiranai Natsu ni Naru / Throw Away the Suit
This one is really short at 16 chapters. It started off pretty good... However it's completely character driven and I think the mangaka's character writing is pretty shallow and as the drama unfolds it buckles under the weight of it. The art was great at the start, and it remains pretty good for the whole way but it gets noticeably sloppier and worse over time. I guess it just trends down. I'd say it's worth reading, but not without reservations I guess. This has sounded pretty critical and it is I guess, but it's also cute and there's a lot of good stuff in it as well. Since the next chapter is the last, it's always possible it could get tied up well but I'm not sure it will given the direction it's taken up to now.

Bloom Into You
Feel like everyone probably knows this one. The art's fantastic, the characters are great, the drama is great. I'd describe it as... simple, but not in a bad way. It's just very focused on the character drama and nothing else like being gay in Japan, or mental health/coping with loss etc even though these are themes that are important to the story but left largely unexplored. It wasn't till I was halfway through chapter 1 that I remembered I'd watched the anime, when Yuu ducks behind a wall after stumbling into someone confessing to Touko . Regardless it was a good ride. I had forgotten the anime basically ends on a cliffhanger right before the finale of the most pivotal character development arc, so it was nice that roughly half of the manga was new to me. I feel like I could nitpick if I wanted to but I won't since I'm sure it's been done to death. It's really good, worth your time.

Honey & Honey
honey&honey is a pretty straightforward slice of life/romcom, it's about a lesbian couple's (presumably specific to mid 2000s japan) daily lives. It's pretty cute but more of a daily comic type thing. It's also super informative about the gay community in japan, and even touches on trans stuff. it's really matter of fact. Given the nature of it I'll probably read it in bursts or slowly over time. I'm not a fan of the art but It did grow on me a bit.

The Love's Red Signals
It's like 35 pages long, straightforward romcom heavily leaning towards comedy. It's funny and short, not a lot to say about it other than I enjoyed it.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Tabletops posted:

i guess i'm in the yuri zone now

Kimi to Shiranai Natsu ni Naru / Throw Away the Suit
This one is really short at 16 chapters. It started off pretty good... However it's completely character driven and I think the mangaka's character writing is pretty shallow and as the drama unfolds it buckles under the weight of it. The art was great at the start, and it remains pretty good for the whole way but it gets noticeably sloppier and worse over time. I guess it just trends down. I'd say it's worth reading, but not without reservations I guess. This has sounded pretty critical and it is I guess, but it's also cute and there's a lot of good stuff in it as well. Since the next chapter is the last, it's always possible it could get tied up well but I'm not sure it will given the direction it's taken up to now.

Thanks for your thoughts! This one recently got announced for English print (from Seven Seas) so I was wondering about it having not known anything prior. Sounds a bit more like an eh read.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

RuBisCO posted:

Thanks for your thoughts! This one recently got announced for English print (from Seven Seas) so I was wondering about it having not known anything prior. Sounds a bit more like an eh read.

given it's length i think it's be worth a look. I think I'm just a little overly critical of the character writing because I've been bouncing between some really well written series in a very short time frame. I don't think it's bad by any stretch and I think most people would probably enjoy it. based on it's score(s) most places, I think that's accurate

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 17, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Found another cute one: 'After-school at the Coffee Shop'
https://mangadex.org/title/eab8c668-0030-413d-97f9-c6f0cae8ed42/hokago-wa-kissaten-de

Also: 'Sakurai-San Wants To Be Noticed'
Its a short but sweet one, only 3 tankobons/26 chapters total.
https://mangadex.org/title/6e311761-9dce-432f-adef-c0d74f9b31c9/sakurai-san-wa-kizuite-hoshii

'The Story of a Guy Who Fell in Love with His Friend’s Sister'
https://mangadex.org/title/5705813a-91fc-4f5a-af0d-b4f2c2a194f4/tomodachi-no-nee-chan-ni-koishita-hanashi

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 17, 2023

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1680970673663930369

say good night to those insomniacs

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Oh dang, I guess there's about a volume left to be translated. I really like the manga, but I'm good with it ending soonish. In an ideal world, there'd be a spinoff all about Shiromaru.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

oh no

edit: i guess its 3 total. 123, 124 and 125

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 17, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My thoughts exactly.

I'm worried her heart issues are what is going to lead to a bittersweet conclusion. She just had another surgery....don't you do this to me. :ohdear:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

CommieGIR posted:

My thoughts exactly.

I'm worried her heart issues are what is going to lead to a bittersweet conclusion. She just had another surgery....don't you do this to me. :ohdear:

i wasn't worried about isaki's health actually, just them as a unit considering what's going on in the story. I know ojiro said that it wont have a tragic ending (I think? in an interview or on twitter or something), but it could still be sad. I feel like 3 chapters isn't enough to tie up the current storyline letalone like any kind of epilogue, but oh well. Guess i'll just cross my fingies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tabletops posted:

i wasn't worried about isaki's health actually, just them as a unit considering what's going on in the story. I know ojiro said that it wont have a tragic ending (I think? in an interview or on twitter or something), but it could still be sad. I feel like 3 chapters isn't enough to tie up the current storyline letalone like any kind of epilogue, but oh well. Guess i'll just cross my fingies.

I don't think anything sad will happen to them as a couple, at least I hope - Ganta already basically came to terms with her issues and not wanting to leave her side no matter what despite Isaki even offering him ways out. If they still end as a couple it would have to be from an external force. And yeah, ~3 chapters isn't enough to really wrap this up unless they end up being very long.

Please end on a good note. Please.

EDIT:
New chapter of 'Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me' dropped, last one was a cliffhanger
https://mangadex.org/title/1c8f0358-d663-4d60-8590-b5e82890a1e3/keiken-zumi-na-kimi-to-keiken-zero-na-ore-ga-otsukiai-suru-hanashi

Also - Chapter 132 of 'Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro'' also dropped Monday:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/a8ededd4-0675-404e-9cb0-3840fe0bddce

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 18, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.viz.com/vizmanga/insomniacs-after-school-chapter-123/chapter/39640?action=read

good news we do not appear to be going down the path of devastation

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh thank loving goodness

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my dearest nemesis chapter 9, high and mighty
a backstory/drama chapter
child shen look adorable

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of "Call of the Night" dropped

https://mangadex.org/title/259dfd8a-f06a-4825-8fa6-a2dcd7274230/yofukashi-no-uta

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
mo troubles mo yuri (actually one of them isn't this time)

I Sold My Life for 10,000 Yen per Year
This ones short. It's pretty introspective, and again has the psychological tag which means everyone is depressed or is depressing. the artwork is a nice mix of slightly less clean lines for characters and clean backgrounds which i liked a lot, the character designs are great too. Feel like this ones best read in one sitting. Won't really get into the premise/story but it's great.

Ano Koro no Aoi Hoshi
Short (though ongoing) and sweet yuri manga. the art and character designs are great and the story is kind of standard-y (cute friendly girl falls in love with beautiful genius loner girl) but it's unique enough to be pretty interesting. It's apparently a passion project that is released for free by the artist, and updates are sporadic because of that though. The translation on mangadex was a bit rough for the first few chapters, but It gets better. Hope it continues to get translated and the artist continues to work on it. I dropped them some money through their fanbox cause it was really good.

Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl
Another short one. Really liked the character designs and artwork in this. The premise was pretty good but boy, it went on for a lot longer than I thought it would. Thankfully it didn't quite get long in the tooth cause it was so short. Otherwise this is a great cute yuri, it's pretty funny as well. It's good!

Hello, Melancholic!
Loved this one. The MC is the biggest dork and she's great for it. Loved all the characters and side stories and it even ended nicely. A+.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 20, 2023

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ugh didn't realise this was another of those Viz translations. I'm going to guess this means it won't get scanlated and I'll have literally no way of reading the final chapters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
One thing that always gets me about Insomniacs is that like

It’s not actually surprising at all that she’s made it to 18? The procedure for her health condition is relatively new and we don’t actually know what the upper limit of lifespan it affords is, but we know it’s at least 40-50ish. That’s where the earliest candidates for the procedure are chugging along right now as we speak.

This is definitely me being a little nitpicky tho. Still love the series and was expecting the ending to devastate me

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Ugh didn't realise this was another of those Viz translations. I'm going to guess this means it won't get scanlated and I'll have literally no way of reading the final chapters.

the viz stuff is like two bucks a month for their entire library, of all the other complicated pricing structures out there it's easily the most reasonable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Oblivious posted:

One thing that always gets me about Insomniacs is that like

It’s not actually surprising at all that she’s made it to 18? The procedure for her health condition is relatively new and we don’t actually know what the upper limit of lifespan it affords is, but we know it’s at least 40-50ish. That’s where the earliest candidates for the procedure are chugging along right now as we speak.

This is definitely me being a little nitpicky tho. Still love the series and was expecting the ending to devastate me

This is the absolute most pointdexter rear end poo poo to see a girl with a potentially fatal medical issue confess her fear of death and how she has been struggling with living normally in a moment of vulnerability and immediately go 'Heh, actually if you read the numbers, statistics show you had good odds of making it.'

It misses the point of the scene and what the character is actually saying and conveying to the other character in the scene.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

kidcoelacanth posted:

the viz stuff is like two bucks a month for their entire library, of all the other complicated pricing structures out there it's easily the most reasonable

A great deal, if you live in the 2 regions it's available.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Smuggling out manga one page at a time to discord for non-NA goons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is the absolute most pointdexter rear end poo poo to see a girl with a potentially fatal medical issue confess her fear of death and how she has been struggling with living normally in a moment of vulnerability and immediately go 'Heh, actually if you read the numbers, statistics show you had good odds of making it.'

It misses the point of the scene and what the character is actually saying and conveying to the other character in the scene.

Oh you misunderstand my meaning. I’m talking about the framing of her condition from the comic as a whole. I’m genuinely uncertain if the author even knows what I said with some of the poo poo that’s been written in this manga, the way Isaki has talked about the condition even in her more clinical and practical moments. Comments like “It’s a miracle I made it to 18” are not weird in isolation but in the broader context of the entire manga it contributes to the sense of

Do they know? I’m not sure if they know! They are writing this like they don’t

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sinky posted:

There are sites that will mirror even licensed properties or you could use a VPN if you are inclined to pay VIZ for their labor. Protonmail offers a free version of their VPN that has no data limit if you are inclined.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

sinky posted:

and i do so i see no issues :hai:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hey if they would let me pay for it I would, but they won't.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Brought To You By posted:

There are sites that will mirror even licensed properties or you could use a VPN if you are inclined to pay VIZ for their labor. Protonmail offers a free version of their VPN that has no data limit if you are inclined.

They only accept payment through the app store, which is also region locked to your account so a VPN won't help.
I downloaded the APK so at least I can read the latest chapters of komi-san.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

a pipe smoking dog posted:

afaik the scanlation group that had been doing it all along will be finishing it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sinky posted:

They only accept payment through the app store, which is also region locked to your account so a VPN won't help.
I downloaded the APK so at least I can read the latest chapters of komi-san.

Dang, sucks they don't have more coverage then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of "The Dangers in my Heart" dropped

https://mangadex.org/title/3df1a9a3-a1be-47a3-9e90-9b3e55b1d0ac/boku-no-kokoro-no-yabai-yatsu

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Anemone wa Netsu o Obiru
The art and character designs in this are really adorable. I'd describe it as an extremely fluffy yuri where the author uses the side characters for all the relationship angst and drama (after the initial build up with the MCs) that seems kind of typical in yuri like this. by comparison the main couple are living in a different world. It's not super comedy heavy, I'd say it's like 85% romance/drama/slice of life and 15% comedy. Anyway it's good! It's still ongoing though if you're looking for completed series, though it's up to ~32 and I could see it ending in probably 15 chapters or less maybe?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do they know? I’m not sure if they know! They are writing this like they don’t

My guess is that they just wanted/needed the love interest to have a serious health condition that met certain criteria (mainly that it can't affect her appearance/behavior much) and looked something up that seemed to fit that.

So I think they probably don't know and didn't look too closely into it. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't just go with Ambiguous Manga Heart Disease.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Tabletops posted:

Anemone wa Netsu o Obiru
The art and character designs in this are really adorable. I'd describe it as an extremely fluffy yuri where the author uses the side characters for all the relationship angst and drama (after the initial build up with the MCs) that seems kind of typical in yuri like this. by comparison the main couple are living in a different world. It's not super comedy heavy, I'd say it's like 85% romance/drama/slice of life and 15% comedy. Anyway it's good! It's still ongoing though if you're looking for completed series, though it's up to ~32 and I could see it ending in probably 15 chapters or less maybe?

i really like this one up until the baffling amount of focus they give the side love triangle i don't care about

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

kidcoelacanth posted:

i really like this one up until the baffling amount of focus they give the side love triangle i don't care about
haha yeah that's what i meant about the author giving all the drama to the side characters. though to be fair at least it's more like a love line and not a triangle. edit: now that I think about it i'm not sure that's any better. I just hope the daisenpai leaves the picture I guess, the teacher/student plotline is cringe.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 21, 2023

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Whisper Me a Love Song
Reading Anemone right before this was interesting because I think they're categorically very similar. The MCs drama is resolved fairly early, and the mangaka uses the side characters to explore more serious melodrama. They handled that side character melodrama really well imo, and using it to advance the MCs character development and as a couple without the blunt force drama trauma being focused on them was great (while still maintaining a lot of the fluffy stuff between them). The art is really wonderful and the character designs are top loving notch. at the end of one of the later chapters the mangaka announced it was getting an anime, which is great. I think it'd make a good show. I'm really unsure what all they'd adapt though, as it'd either stop when the MCs get together (probably too short?) or they'd have to go further into their relationship which would leave the second arc most likely unresolved. I guess that'd be kind of like how bloom into you ended though so definitely not unprecedented. Anyway I kind of loved this, and I'm starting to appreciate yuri where the fluffy main couple is spared a lot of the common romance drama and it's left to the side characters/b plot.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 21, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

chapter 102 and things are moving apace

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 22, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tabletops posted:

Whisper Me a Love Song
Reading Anemone right before this was interesting because I think they're categorically very similar. The MCs drama is resolved fairly early, and the mangaka uses the side characters to explore more serious melodrama. They handled that side character melodrama really well imo, and using it to advance the MCs character development and as a couple without the blunt force drama trauma being focused on them was great (while still maintaining a lot of the fluffy stuff between them). The art is really wonderful and the character designs are top loving notch. at the end of one of the later chapters the mangaka announced it was getting an anime, which is great. I think it'd make a good show. I'm really unsure what all they'd adapt though, as it'd either stop when the MCs get together (probably too short?) or they'd have to go further into their relationship which would leave the second arc most likely unresolved. I guess that'd be kind of like how bloom into you ended though so definitely not unprecedented. Anyway I kind of loved this, and I'm starting to appreciate yuri where the fluffy main couple is spared a lot of the common romance drama and it's left to the side characters/b plot.

Yuri anime adaptations have a long and storied history of getting a single season that stops before the part where stuff happens

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feel like it will be impossible to not at least get to the part where the main couple gets together.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

If this gets any sweeter it's gonna rot people's teeth

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The Misc. Shoujo, Josei, & Romance Thread: what to do with girlfriend

Just an idea I had all of a sudden: This story could be easily adaptable to a live-action USA version between 2 kids from evangelical christian households. They are so incredibly modest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

CommieGIR posted:

If this gets any sweeter it's gonna rot people's teeth

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1682645329420886017

Teeth around the world will be spared soon