Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One Piece Manga Thread: Mr Beast Pirates Gave 1000 Children Smile Fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It’s better than what we have now. And heck, probably half the ones we’ve had

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

how did we not have that thread title years ago

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Could just be an artistic choice but the anime seems to be implying Kaido’s drunk form is his awakened form. The changes were subtle in the manga but they’re more explicit here

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1680384385554497537?s=20

EDIT: Though I like this theory on how awakenings work, that says Kaido failed his awakening because his mind isn’t really in tune with his fruit and Momonosuke will be the one to awaken it
https://twitter.com/sanji_joestar/status/1665462318627528707?s=20
https://twitter.com/sanji_joestar/status/1665462529793949699?s=20

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 16, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I resumed reading after fish man island really put a pause on my progress and I’m enjoying punk hazard. I just wanted to pop in and say that I’m very excited for the last few chapters of this arc because Oda has started drawing maps of what’s happening and that’s when stuff really goes off.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
fishman island and punk hazard both suck (except for the fisher tiger flashback)

zou is when oda starts telling gud story again

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BoosterDuck posted:

fishman island and punk hazard both suck (except for the fisher tiger flashback)

zou is when oda starts telling gud story again
What a weird thing to post in response to someone enjoying Punk Hazard. The arcs that were poorly regarded weekly aren't that bad to binge, and even at it worst One Piece is really fun.

holefoods posted:

I resumed reading after fish man island really put a pause on my progress and I’m enjoying punk hazard. I just wanted to pop in and say that I’m very excited for the last few chapters of this arc because Oda has started drawing maps of what’s happening and that’s when stuff really goes off.
The little pictures are indeed awesome whenever they show up. Always a highlight.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Fishman island is fine, the hate it gets I feel is often overblown and unjustified, mainly because most people's experiences with it are colored from going into it off of the highs of Sabaody -> Marineford and the timeskip. Punk Hazard however is easily a bottom 3 arc in the entire series for me, especially when you look at the series in a holistic sense and with the benefit of hindsight, just how terribly out of character a lot of the crew is, and how lackluster any of the payoffs are until the very end. A cool idea for an arc, but with terrible execution.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RatHat posted:

Could just be an artistic choice but the anime seems to be implying Kaido’s drunk form is his awakened form. The changes were subtle in the manga but they’re more explicit here

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1680384385554497537?s=20

He's been glowing a different shade of bluish-purple for a few episodes whenever he's gone into his drunk states yeah. No real confirmation on if Kaido has awakening or not though.

Anyways this tweet reminded me of a funny image a friend was sharing after this episode aired:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1680342586140114945

lmao the anime just killed Luffy and went on a week break

Sadly they didn't do the "Winner: Kaido" before the end of the episode.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Julias posted:

Fishman island is fine, the hate it gets I feel is often overblown and unjustified, mainly because most people's experiences with it are colored from going into it off of the highs of Sabaody -> Marineford and the timeskip. Punk Hazard however is easily a bottom 3 arc in the entire series for me, especially when you look at the series in a holistic sense and with the benefit of hindsight, just how terribly out of character a lot of the crew is, and how lackluster any of the payoffs are until the very end. A cool idea for an arc, but with terrible execution.

I very much enjoyed the backstory bits of fishman island but the present time action didn’t do anything for me. I felt that all of the other arcs connected any flashback portions to the present in a fairly powerful way and that just didn’t land for me with with Hody. If it had been a fairly short arc (maybe like 30 chapters) I think I would’ve enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I certainly wouldn’t say I hated it (I don’t think I’d say that about any part I’ve read so far), mostly just that I was very bored.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

What a weird thing to post in response to someone enjoying Punk Hazard. The arcs that were poorly regarded weekly aren't that bad to binge, and even at it worst One Piece is really fun.

Punk Hazard was super painful to read week to week esp since you’d come back after a break and weeks away from some group then it would check in on them and it would be “still running from killer gas” status. Reading it all in one batch is not remotely as bad.

Fishman Island was great even on first read minus the Sanji poo poo (post time skip Sanji still has a lot to make up for).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Fishman Island would have been vastly improved by removing everything having to do with Vander Decken and Sanji's "comedic" bullshit. Everything else wrong with the arc just required minor tweeks to fix or improve.

Post timeskip Sanji is bad, and it's real loving insane that the only stretch where he was good was when our 21 year old cook was engaged to a 16 year old.

Vander Decken is a terrible character who is only there to be a galactic level creep who serves as the shower inducing deus ex machina to get key story beats set up.

The rest of the arc has an actual good theme and one of the best backstory flashbacks in the series. It's just missing a few connecting touches that would truly make it shine. Like, all these chapters later who would have thought we'd feel bad for a Celestial Dragon who got killed?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pudding should have been 19

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Punk Hazard was super painful to read week to week esp since you’d come back after a break and weeks away from some group then it would check in on them and it would be “still running from killer gas” status. Reading it all in one batch is not remotely as bad.

Fishman Island was great even on first read minus the Sanji poo poo (post time skip Sanji still has a lot to make up for).
Not really disagreeing with any of the takes, they're all valid, just the conversation going "I'm really enjoying this part of the story for the first time" followed by "it sucks and the next several hundred chapters are poo poo" seemed a bit off!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Punk hazard still sucks when reading today.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Julias posted:

The entire arc feels kind of off for me especially with how they just straight up kill? Monet which as pointed out feels kind of "out of character" given how the series rarely actually kills off characters and it doesn't really feel like the strawhats achieved or did much overall even though they did, narratively.

Gyges posted:

Fishman Island would have been vastly improved by removing everything having to do with Vander Decken and Sanji's "comedic" bullshit. Everything else wrong with the arc just required minor tweeks to fix or improve.

Post timeskip Sanji is bad, and it's real loving insane that the only stretch where he was good was when our 21 year old cook was engaged to a 16 year old.

Vander Decken is a terrible character who is only there to be a galactic level creep who serves as the shower inducing deus ex machina to get key story beats set up.

The rest of the arc has an actual good theme and one of the best backstory flashbacks in the series. It's just missing a few connecting touches that would truly make it shine. Like, all these chapters later who would have thought we'd feel bad for a Celestial Dragon who got killed?

I agree with all of this for sure though. But also I actually like the majority of the fishman island arc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I read Punk Hazard for the first time after it had already come out and it was fine, I had no idea it had a bad reputation till years later. Outside of the joy of Law's belated realization that Luffy is NOT a strategic mastermind/genius, the payoff of Law critiquing Vergo for having stayed stagnant over the years while Law himself had been growing in strength was great.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yes

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Scholtz posted:

The final frame of Kaido make me feel pain in my heart. I didnt expect that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scholtz posted:

It's been 4 years since Wano started. Get hype.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

loving :wrong:

Vander Decken being a pathetic creep who is only a threat because of his high-tier power is a good bit, as is the way his underlings and he himself keeps dunking on him. "I need to send invitations to all my friends...! Oh right, I don't have any friends..."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The biggest issue with Fishman Island to me is that we spent all this time building up the villains (with actually pretty good backstory that tied into previously existing characters in the case of Hody Jones) only to have them clowned on absurdly to establish how strong the Straw Hats are post-timeskip. It made all the time introducing the villains seem like a waste because they never really got to establish themselves as threats. Punk Hazard has the same issue to some degree.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fishman Island is fuckin great because it's "WHAT IF: Luffy was One Punch Man". OPM also builds up villains for a long time to build the hype for them getting dunked on. So yeah conceptually I love it and I think the arc is fun, but the execution could be better for sure. I think even with that premise it could have cooler villains, better fights, and overall just better characters story and jokes across the board. The only thing that really stuck the landing is the Fisher Tiger flashback.

Punk Hazard is lacking gravitas and drama, but it's still really fun.

The arc after Punk Hazard has some of the series' highest highs and lowest lows, it is a hell of a roller coaster ride, just enjoy the ride and sometimes just turn off your brain a bit a lot.

After that there is a mini-arc which kicks off the neverending madness of things just infinitely getting better and crazier, which has led to One Piece becoming the worldwide phenomenon it is today, so yeah hold on tight because holy gently caress. You know those crazy highs from the arc before? "WHAT IF: The entire series was just like that basically all the time"

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 16, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The biggest issue with Fishman Island to me is that we spent all this time building up the villains (with actually pretty good backstory that tied into previously existing characters in the case of Hody Jones) only to have them clowned on absurdly to establish how strong the Straw Hats are post-timeskip. It made all the time introducing the villains seem like a waste because they never really got to establish themselves as threats. Punk Hazard has the same issue to some degree.

Tbh the lion’s share of the FI antagonists feel like they were literally made to square up with the Straw Hats. I feel like the actual implementation of a mook squad wasn’t elegantly done and a drag because who cares about the lame mooks headed by someone who’s literally hollow by design, but the actual idea of having the Straw Hats brutally steamroll the Paradise side of the Grand Line is something you kinda want before the started squaring up with Emperor crews.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m a fan of Punk Hazard because it’s just fun. There’s a detestable antagonist, lots of fun guest characters and some interesting narrative ideas.

Half-animal pirates, a dragon and some body swaps to start. Then we have Smoker, Law and the detestable Cesar. Franky gets a 2v1 fight, the Marines love Sanji and Nami helps out some kids.

Could it have been better? Absolutely. Running from the gas went on too long. Plus what about the Yeti Cool Brothers one-shotting Zoro. Still, a fun romp.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The villain in FI wasn't Hody, it was what he represented (racism).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hody being an upjumped punk who just blindly hates humans for no reason other than that's what he was told to do growing up and gets instantly clowned by Luffy is cool and good and the anime hosed that up in multiple ways.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One Piece owns and all the arcs are good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fishman Island is just very slow.

I guess this is an issue a lot of arcs face but I still really felt it with FI on a recent reread.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Kild posted:

The villain in FI wasn't Hody, it was what he represented (racism).

Fishman Island was a good arc :colbert:

Nuebot posted:

The entire arc feels kind of off for me especially with how they just straight up kill? Monet which as pointed out feels kind of "out of character" given how the series rarely actually kills off characters and it doesn't really feel like the strawhats achieved or did much overall even though they did, narratively.

I think this is more a set up for the Dressora arc. The crew acts like a family, crushing that mook that laughed at Pica's voice etc.

But lurking back in your mind is the fact that Doflamingo ordered Vergo and Monet to die and they did so happily. Vergo was even Doflamingo's right hand man too. Any of those weirdo would slit their throat on the spot with a smile if Doflamingo told them to.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Star Platinum posted:

loving :wrong:

Vander Decken being a pathetic creep who is only a threat because of his high-tier power is a good bit, as is the way his underlings and he himself keeps dunking on him. "I need to send invitations to all my friends...! Oh right, I don't have any friends..."

Maybe if he'd been rolled up into part of Hody's gang. Big maybe. However, as a 3rd Party entry into the conflict it's just messy, overly complicating, and inelegantly exposes contrivances to get our boys/girls to their marks for the script.

hatty posted:

One Piece owns and all the arcs are good

While not all arcs in One Piece are good, no arcs are Bad. It's incredibly impressive that a multi-decade long serial story has managed to have it's lowest points land at "Some good stuff happened, but overall this part was just OK."

Marluxia posted:

But lurking back in your mind is the fact that Doflamingo ordered Vergo and Monet to die and they did so happily. Vergo was even Doflamingo's right hand man too. Any of those weirdo would slit their throat on the spot with a smile if Doflamingo told them to.
Honestly that part need more elaboration. Like, why would you be ride or die for Doflamingo? He did seem to treat his actual crew not like poo poo, but we never really saw or heard of him doing anything that would make you willing to die for him. Which wouldn't generally be bad, it's implied. However Doflamingo is just such a prick with a backstory that is basically, "Dude was always a bad apple".

Gyges fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 16, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doflamingo is a horrible monster but I think his backstory does a great job of explaining why - he was screwed over by a combination of his father's kindness and naivete, small-minded prejudice from ordinary people and high-handed elitism from the Celestial Dragons. It makes some sense that he hates everyone after going through that. There is a certain charisma to him and I can imagine why other people who were screwed over by the world would be drawn to him, although his actual relationship with his crew wasn't explored that thoroughly.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

god i love fishman island. the overarching story stuff with ancient weapons, joyboy, and poneglyphs. the magical sunlight tree, the crew stomping everyone in their path, energy steroids, big mom, the absolutely incredible fisher tiger flashback, sharly's premonition, and don't forget before they descend to fishman island is when we meet the fakehats.

truly a beautiful arc in what was already the greatest manga ever written

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Not to add another 100 chapters onto it or anything but I feel like there really should've been another Alabasta Saga-sized chunk of story in between Fishman Island and Punk Hazard, since the former was long established as their next destination since Water 7, and the latter starts off the whole Smile Fruit Saga.

In just under 120 chapters the Alabasta Saga has the straw hats go to Reverse Mountain and 4 other islands, and some more "relaxed" adventuring would've been nice at that point in the story.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Trebol and the rest started following Doflamingo because they saw him Conqueror's Haki an entire lynch mob at age 10 and were immediately convinced that a kid with this level of ambition and charisma could easily rule the seas one day. Add in that the younger members of his upper echelon seem to have been raised in his crew and you get the idea that Doflamingo's crew is deeply loyal out of both his charisma and a familial bond.

Of course on Doffy's side he only actually values anyone so long as their loyal and will throw any of his crew aside to advance his goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Doflamingo's backstory is more than fine. I'm just saying that we could have used a little more showing or telling why his crew was willing to die with a smile on his orders.

All the pirates in the setting are overly loyal to their captains. It is kind of part of the story where, I think, only Blackbeard has ever been shown to betray their crew. There's more than a few captains who are total poo poo to their crew, without betrayal too. Like, how the hell did no one ever turn on Krieg? Pirates don't betray their captain, fine. However Doflamingo's crew just seemed even more loyal than usual. Like outside a handful of Captains(Luffy, Whitebeard, Roger, Shanks, and Doflamingo), I don't think we've seen anyone with crew who would die with a smile.