Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Macichne Leainig posted:

If you ever played the WC3 custom map it's basically that but refined 100x in terms of just about everything. Very fun game with a good passionate team behind it.

How is it on Steam Deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Owl Inspector posted:

There's a solos-only mode called soul survivor so you don't have to match against larger team sizes and it also doesn't require you to pay for your own gear, but it does not have skill based matchmaking (and I don't think it's a great experience in general).

the game does artificially feed you lower-skill players when you're playing solo against teams, but I still really wouldn't suggest trying to learn the game solo. It's a tough game to start and you will learn an order of magnitude faster when you have a trio to hang with, see what they do, and learn from. When you get headshot out of nowhere you can get revived by your team and keep going instead of instantly losing the match.

I absolutely don't suggest playing with matchmade teams because the game does not have built-in team-exclusive chat for some insane reason, so you can only broadcast voice/text chat in an area around you which enemy players can see and your own teammates can't if they're too far away, and this is a game that benefits from a lot of micro-communication. Good news: there are trios playing most days in the goon discord and most of us have no problem rolling with new players, so you don't have to play with pubs or solo.
that's too bad. maybe if i can catch it in a future sale i'll bug said discord

cheers :tipshat:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah solo vs teams is hard mode and given you're always two body shots or one headshot away from death you have to leverage every single bit of mechanical knowledge you have which is impractical when you're know

Playing with randoms is tolerable, I do it all the time when no goons are around but my worst experiences in terms of gameplay have always been with random groups so lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

err posted:

How is it on Steam Deck

I wouldn't know because it's not really the kind of game I'd play on my Steam Deck. I wouldn't want to gently caress up tower placement or anything and split second decisions can really count

My Steam Deck is more for like, kicking back on the couch

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Did Valve recently mess with chat notifications or something? Because as it turns out, me and a bud of mine have been completely ignoring each other (don't say it), and it's because we are both not knowing when one leaves a chat message, which normally results in that green little mailbox popup thingy (you know the one I mean).

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think historically we've had a few other people in the Steam thread/Games who care about ye olde Stronghold(e.)

Stronghold is a series that started incredibly well, had a game and one of those classic 90s/early 2000s strategy releases that probably should have just been an expansion but ended up good anyway with Crusader annnnnnnd arguably hasn't had a good game since. Warlords was actively bad, even as an apologist for the series flaws and so I guess they've decided that since they can't seem to flop out a decent new entry in the series they're gonna do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPA1sFAM1T8

Shame it looks exactly different but not a ton really better. Steam MP support is cool but uhhhhh, yeesh.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Doing some Steam card idling and was just wondering what's the best way to quickly sell thousands of cards? Feel I can easily buy a game even if I sell them all for three cents each. I've had a foil dropped with apparently has a value of $70 which is obviously high but I remember selling a Falcon 4.0 foil for $20ish once which was really cool.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Orv posted:

I think historically we've had a few other people in the Steam thread/Games who care about ye olde Stronghold(e.)

Stronghold is a series that started incredibly well, had a game and one of those classic 90s/early 2000s strategy releases that probably should have just been an expansion but ended up good anyway with Crusader annnnnnnd arguably hasn't had a good game since. Warlords was actively bad, even as an apologist for the series flaws and so I guess they've decided that since they can't seem to flop out a decent new entry in the series they're gonna do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPA1sFAM1T8

Shame it looks exactly different but not a ton really better. Steam MP support is cool but uhhhhh, yeesh.

I swear to god when they do the swipe-to-hd transition I cannot tell the difference. Even if it's 'just' a forward port being wide-screen friendlywith steam-intergrated multi (and mod support?) it might be worth the price. But I'm still laughing at those gfx swipes.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

fuckpot posted:

Doing some Steam card idling and was just wondering what's the best way to quickly sell thousands of cards? Feel I can easily buy a game even if I sell them all for three cents each. I've had a foil dropped with apparently has a value of $70 which is obviously high but I remember selling a Falcon 4.0 foil for $20ish once which was really cool.

Steam inventory helper browser addon last I checked

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Im_Special posted:

Did Valve recently mess with chat notifications or something? Because as it turns out, me and a bud of mine have been completely ignoring each other (don't say it), and it's because we are both not knowing when one leaves a chat message, which normally results in that green little mailbox popup thingy (you know the one I mean).

Basically if you aren't opening the Friends window and looking for them they're loving invisible now. I hate it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Cool, great, fantastic even, because I only ever open chat when I see that I have a pending message waiting. I hate it too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Related to the title, I've been playing some Atomic Heart, and the horny vending machine is growing on me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Philippe posted:

Related to the title, I've been playing some Atomic Heart, and the horny vending machine is growing on me.

Gonna insert your change into the slot?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Philippe posted:

You probably should see a doctor for that.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Im_Special posted:

Cool, great, fantastic even, because I only ever open chat when I see that I have a pending message waiting. I hate it too.

They've somehow managed to gently caress up basic messaging functionality on desktop in addition to mobile now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I hate that frickin vending machine. Every time I pop in, it harasses me. The game wants me to grow to love it but I refuse!!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Serephina posted:

I swear to god when they do the swipe-to-hd transition I cannot tell the difference. Even if it's 'just' a forward port being wide-screen friendlywith steam-intergrated multi (and mod support?) it might be worth the price. But I'm still laughing at those gfx swipes.
The Steam page does a better job with some asset comparisons, but it looks like there isn't going to be much difference when you are normally playing the game way zoomed out.

This is the second time Firefly has gone back to the original Stronghold, they released Stronghold HD back in 2013.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean, I think Stronghold DE looks great (as long as they fix dumb AI behavior like their entire army beelining for a single tiny gap in your fortifications) but I genuinely don't understand why this studio cannot make a decent new Stronghold game despite decades of trying

All I needed to know about the latest one I found when the demo had infinitely-spawning enemies coming from the edge of the map behind their castle

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah that looks very nice but just make a castle game, god

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I mean, I think Stronghold DE looks great (as long as they fix dumb AI behavior like their entire army beelining for a single tiny gap in your fortifications)

No shot

HopperUK posted:

Yeah that looks very nice but just make a castle game, god

Playing a very lite game of Anno while also playing a decent enough RTS is the whole appeal but I dunno why they can’t just do that instead of perpetually mucking with the formula.

I checked their YouTube channel and it looks like Stronghold DE is probably just “Oh god we need money, help” rather than a huge focus. They’re purportedly working on a much more modern UE4/5 Stronghold game but given how poorly Warlords did here we are.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 16, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I’m looking for a recommendation for a good multiplayer game to play with a bro in a different town. His computer is somewhat low spec so can’t play the latest 3D games but indie ones are fine. Either remote play or I don’t mind getting two copies.. any suggestions? Thanks ye goons

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’m looking for a recommendation for a good multiplayer game to play with a bro in a different town. His computer is somewhat low spec so can’t play the latest 3D games but indie ones are fine. Either remote play or I don’t mind getting two copies.. any suggestions? Thanks ye goons

not Steam related but maybe check out Board Game Arena, they have a huge number of good (and some less than good) games available for free, and an even larger catalogue behind a monthly membership that only one person needs to subscribe for. just go to the Games tab at the top and filter by 2 players (and whatever else you want) and see what's there - anything with the star in the upper-right corner is a membership game, the rest are totally free.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had a blast playing Heavenly Bodies with a friend over steam remote play. Game's ridiculous and frustrating and hilarious all at the same time.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did I hear a rock and stone?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I'm going to list out a few that I enjoyed playing with a friend:

Hammerwatch (I haven't played the newer one, Heroes of Hammerwatch, not sure if that would be worth looking into instead)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Orcs Must Die! 2 (and 3)
Sanctum 2
Titan Quest
Torchlight 2

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Monster Prom series (Prom, Camp, and Roadtrip) does remote play and multiplayer.
Wildermyth.
Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia, Zestiria, and Berseria (but not Tales of Arise) do remote play, though I think player 1 is entirely in charge when outside of combat.
God Eater 1 and 2 (buy GE2, get 1 packed with it on Steam) for co-op budget sci-fi Monster Hunter that doesn't have ridiculous requirements. No remote play.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Minotaurus Rex posted:

How low spec?

Otherwise, Magicka and Portal 2 can run pretty well on old systems while having multiplayer.

Flair fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 16, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn’t remote play only work for one person at a time?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Maybe one of the older EDF games will work on your friends pc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

Doesn’t remote play only work for one person at a time?

No, you can do up to 3

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Divinity OS games are raved about as some of the best co-op games of their time. D:OS 2 is 6 years old at this point and wasn't exact a punishing game for gpus so it should run on any 10 series GPU or higher.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Minotaurus Rex posted:

In case you haven't tried them, some classics that should run on almost anything:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Battlezone is great multiplayer and 1000 years old so will run fine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sebmojo posted:

Battlezone is great multiplayer and 1000 years old so will run fine.

Hey, they somewhat recently remastered both the 1998 version and BZII Combat Commander (mostly so they will run better on modern hardware now, including proper resolution support IIRC)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Countblanc posted:

not Steam related but maybe check out Board Game Arena, they have a huge number of good (and some less than good) games available for free, and an even larger catalogue behind a monthly membership that only one person needs to subscribe for. just go to the Games tab at the top and filter by 2 players (and whatever else you want) and see what's there - anything with the star in the upper-right corner is a membership game, the rest are totally free.

agreed, there's some great stuff on BGA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Macichne Leainig posted:

Hey, they somewhat recently remastered both the 1998 version and BZII Combat Commander (mostly so they will run better on modern hardware now, including proper resolution support IIRC)

The remasters are pretty good. BZ1 is still hard as nuts. I didn’t make it very far into Red Odyssey.

BZ2 isn’t awful but it feels really hollow. The combat has this rigid feeling to it that I didn’t enjoy and there’s never an interesting challenge to any part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tiny Timbs posted:

The remasters are pretty good. BZ1 is still hard as nuts. I didn’t make it very far into Red Odyssey.

BZ2 isn’t awful but it feels really hollow. The combat has this rigid feeling to it that I didn’t enjoy and there’s never an interesting challenge to any part of it.

I think that's just how it's aged unfortunately :(

The remaster for BZ2 especially is just like "Aight here's some shaders, have fun!" like it maybe could have used a bit of love, but I suppose that would be inauthentic