Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I might not be into it enough to buy the volumes, but it can be really funny sometimes like some people said and it comes with my $2 monthly subscription to Sakamoto Days (and some other poo poo I guess? There’s one about a Texan massacre man?) so it’s good I guess in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I started reading Witch Watch.

The comedy and the relationships between the guys are so good, but everything about the two leads' ostensible romantic relationship is so bad. I might even go so far as to say that Nico is just a bad character, although she would probably be a good one if I was confident that the way people constantly both pile responsibility on her and infantilize her at the same time was on purpose.

Good time to start reading it. I keep falling off and climbing back on when something happens because it’s sometimes brilliant and sometimes utterly dull. The first major story arc was brilliant.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anyone check out Wild Strawberry? Gave me a lot of “Last of Us” vibes, and I’m interested to see where it’s going. I’m definitely intrigued.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I know there's only one chapter so far, but Wild Strawberry feels like "What if Chainsaw Man, but instead of Pochita you had Nezuko?"

Also these backgrounds have absurd amounts of detail, seriously worried that the mangaka will burn themselves out trying to do that on a weekly basis.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Hey guys, Völundio ~Divergent Sword Saga~ is really good.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Speaking of Volundio, Helck's anime has started.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Wild Strawberry just made me miss Green Worldz

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

akane finally digging in more to her Dad and his rakugo is great this chapter is really emotional

Sakamoto equally brutal

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Goosebump Girlfriend: An important reminder that the cringe you posted on social media in middle school can and will haunt you for the rest of your life. Post responsibly. I know some people with very unflattering Inuyasha slashfics that are probably still floating around somewhere.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Easily my favorite chapter so far of Akane no Banashi.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I appreciate 100 having negative character growth in Fabricant 100.

MMA: That jobber having an oddly wholesome backstory before instantly losing was amusing.

Ice-Head Gill is kind of like Jiangshi-X, in that I find it very inoffensive and readable. Though I like Jiangshi-X more.

The Black Stones posted:

Anyone check out Wild Strawberry? Gave me a lot of “Last of Us” vibes, and I’m interested to see where it’s going. I’m definitely intrigued.

It was alright. The world building feels a little weird since these are presumably sentient flowers that kill people but it's just chapter 1.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 16, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wild strawberry: I think the girl is probably patient 0 or something, with the way how the lead highlighted that they weren’t actually blood related.

So recently binged Nue exorcist. It’s very early bleach, but this latest chapter was the weirdest beach chapter I think I ever read. I also found it a bit hard to follow on some points.

Hypocrisy posted:

I appreciate 100 having negative character growth in Fabricant 100.

MMA: That jobber having an oddly wholesome backstory before instantly losing was amusing.
100 going all in on her new way of life.

MMA: is losing a bit of steam here with that oddly placed and unnecessary backstory (even if it was funny I got my rear end kicked so I became an upstanding citizen and a groupie. but that end spread was pretty worth it. We’re not going to see a beat down though, my guess is grandpa will somehow intervene.

Sakamoto: Hyo! still cool though. And I wonder what Heisuke will do now, it’d be hilarious if this straight up triggered him to kill her. but nah, Sakamoto incoming because Piisuke is missing.

Undead: You know what, this was actually a pretty brilliant way to handle unfade.

Witch watch: cavalerie has arrived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's kind of funny when Mashle was gone from Mashle everyone was wondering when he'd be back while Andy is gone from Undead and absolutely nobody seems in any rush to bring him back.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I mean if every character was stalling for time waiting for Andy to return and nothing was happening, then yeah people would be clambering for Andy to return as soon as possible.

I do wonder what he’s doing though, presumably he has his own thing he’s working on. (Hunting Unruin?).

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Unluck winning because it has actually written a co-lead and secondary characters you enjoy and can care about as the driving force of things, I suppose? I dropped Mashle for a lot of reasons but finding the side cast lacking was part of it.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

rokudenashi blues is finally getting scanlated at a decent pace again, and what Im pretty sure is the final big arc has started, so its time for everyone's favorites from earlier arcs to show back up

hopefully they manage to finally finish it https://mangadex.org/title/c727d921-4294-455b-9bcc-2f0c7d29cd9a/rokudenashi-blues

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Fire Force worth a re-look? I remember enjoying the anime for a bit but then it came to what felt like the third female character in the whole franchise whose deal was she cursed to always have something 'hilarious' happen to her like losing her clothes and I drifted away.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Funny you mention Tamaki, because the rest of the finale was pretty whatever but her final fight is....really something. Suddenly out of nowhere a nameless background character becomes a strawman criticizing her, loses an incredibly stupid argument, and is erased from existence while everyone else stands up and claps.

Check this and the next chapter or three out: https://mangadex.org/chapter/6c618c31-aecd-4f9e-b255-254f68a87849/1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the final arc of fire force really goes for it. i don't know what 'it' is, but still.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

Funny you mention Tamaki, because the rest of the finale was pretty whatever but her final fight is....really something. Suddenly out of nowhere a nameless background character becomes a strawman criticizing her, loses an incredibly stupid argument, and is erased from existence while everyone else stands up and claps.

Check this and the next chapter or three out: https://mangadex.org/chapter/6c618c31-aecd-4f9e-b255-254f68a87849/1

And it still wasn't even really her fight which did feel like what I remembered of Fire Force.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Jfc Chapter 281. I think that’s the most meta a manga’s ever gotten, at least of of nowhere (as far as I know, don’t read Fire Force). Amazing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tosk posted:

:hmmyes:

Do Retry: I may be reading too much into it, but the vibe of the chapter feels like things aren't looking too good for the series

Kill Blue: I appreciate just how opposite Ogami and Tenma are approaching the game: Tenma's a typical teen shonen antagonist looking to crush any and all challengers, while Ogami's just glad to be able to play a game without having to look over his shoulder

Ichinose Family: I give up, plot's just gonna do what it's gonna do

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tosk posted:

Yeah, it feels a bit overdue, but also now I have the phrase "the Rodney Dangerfield of rakugo" in my head and I like what it's doing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Is Fire Force worth a re-look? I remember enjoying the anime for a bit but then it came to what felt like the third female character in the whole franchise whose deal was she cursed to always have something 'hilarious' happen to her like losing her clothes and I drifted away.

the first couple episodes of the anime was a really good sell for a subpar series imo

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dawgstar posted:

No. Don't look back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that stupid scene is the only thing fire force will be remembered for and it doesn't deserve much better

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fire force is fun, it's ending is like completely loving wild.

Is it Good, probably not, but it's fun.

Easy enough to binge

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the anime version will apparently be returning fairly soon

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The anime is just a great thing to watch, that team at DavidPro did an excellent job.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The author is a lunatic and his comics exist to be made into better cartoons.

That last Tamaki fight is downright embarrassing. Its one thing to revel in fanservice, quite the other to read like Twitter at its absolute worst.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 17, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tamaki getting a power up only for it to never come up again is so weird.

Unless that was anime only thing cause I picked up the manga after the second season ended.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shinji2015 posted:

Ichinose Family: I give up, plot's just gonna do what it's gonna do

its gotten addicted to having every chapter be some kind of twist and its tiring

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elite posted:

I mean if every character was stalling for time waiting for Andy to return and nothing was happening, then yeah people would be clambering for Andy to return as soon as possible.

I do wonder what he’s doing though, presumably he has his own thing he’s working on. (Hunting Unruin?).

I’d that that helps yes, Fuuko has a plan that she’s allowed to continue to do and has already showed us that she’s strong enough to follow through. At this point I can’t imagine would could stop her other than god itself or an army of regulators.

My guess is learning how to split himself and Victor in two. They made a big point out of imbuing a soul into parts, so why not do that and have two undeath fight against god?

haypliss posted:

Unluck winning because it has actually written a co-lead and secondary characters you enjoy and can care about as the driving force of things, I suppose? I dropped Mashle for a lot of reasons but finding the side cast lacking was part of it.

Hey, I liked Lance. But that helps but the general set up helps as well. Lance and others only ever got to fight disposable enemies and had to job to let Mash shine. That was the entire thing. Meanwhile Fuuko has a whole other thing going irrelevant of actual fighting.

Also I hate Andy and this arc is pretty ballsy in how much it’s keeping him out of the spotlight with no signs of him showing up anytime soon. Which makes me wonder if I’m not alone.

I wonder if Feng will join them now, I wouldn’t think so though. Why would he consider this a loss?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

its gotten addicted to having every chapter be some kind of twist and its tiring

Yeah, nothing gets a chance to breathe in the series before we move on to the next twist. Like the mom just dropped an incredible reality check on the family, and instead of dealing with the situation and everything that entails, we get yet another twist to add to the pile.

I dunno if the mangaka is just trying to speedrun all the ideas they had for the series in an attempt to save it, but I feel like at this point nothing's going to get resolved before it's canned. It's just too much

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi and Sakamoto Days were both amazing this week.

Really emotional Akane-banashi chapter, super good.

:rip: to a real one in Sakamoto Days.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Goosebump Girlfriend: An important reminder that the cringe you posted on social media in middle school can and will haunt you for the rest of your life. Post responsibly. I know some people with very unflattering Inuyasha slashfics that are probably still floating around somewhere.

Speaking of Goosebump Girlfriend, I just binged it (all 10 chapters.... :v: ) out of idle curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. For a series whose main premise is unironically this, it's really a lot better than it has any right to be.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, nothing gets a chance to breathe in the series before we move on to the next twist. Like the mom just dropped an incredible reality check on the family, and instead of dealing with the situation and everything that entails, we get yet another twist to add to the pile.

I dunno if the mangaka is just trying to speedrun all the ideas they had for the series in an attempt to save it, but I feel like at this point nothing's going to get resolved before it's canned. It's just too much

I don't think it's a sign of the impending axe in this case the mangaka just, writes like that. It can make for a series that's very gripping but in a kinda shallow way.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I need more Mashle immediately

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Whats that from?