Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Scholtz posted:

Not to add another 100 chapters onto it or anything but I feel like there really should've been another Alabasta Saga-sized chunk of story in between Fishman Island and Punk Hazard, since the former was long established as their next destination since Water 7, and the latter starts off the whole Smile Fruit Saga.

In just under 120 chapters the Alabasta Saga has the straw hats go to Reverse Mountain and 4 other islands, and some more "relaxed" adventuring would've been nice at that point in the story.

Foxy Rematch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
FI through dressrosa is the worst stretch of the manga and zou onward saved the series from collapsing

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

Doflamingo's backstory is more than fine. I'm just saying that we could have used a little more showing or telling why his crew was willing to die with a smile on his orders.

All the pirates in the setting are overly loyal to their captains. It is kind of part of the story where, I think, only Blackbeard has ever been shown to betray their crew. There's more than a few captains who are total poo poo to their crew, without betrayal too. Like, how the hell did no one ever turn on Krieg? Pirates don't betray their captain, fine. However Doflamingo's crew just seemed even more loyal than usual. Like outside a handful of Captains(Luffy, Whitebeard, Roger, Shanks, and Doflamingo), I don't think we've seen anyone with crew who would die with a smile.

It would be more realistic, but does OP really need it? I’d argue it doesn’t. We have enough going on and characters have more than enough flavor without constant betrayals, not to mention most of the crews we are dealing with are successful, so it shouldn’t be expected for them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the very least I do appreciate the fact that Doffy was always an rear end in a top hat and only became a bigger one as he grew up

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Doflamingo's backstory is more than fine. I'm just saying that we could have used a little more showing or telling why his crew was willing to die with a smile on his orders.

All the pirates in the setting are overly loyal to their captains. It is kind of part of the story where, I think, only Blackbeard has ever been shown to betray their crew. There's more than a few captains who are total poo poo to their crew, without betrayal too. Like, how the hell did no one ever turn on Krieg? Pirates don't betray their captain, fine. However Doflamingo's crew just seemed even more loyal than usual. Like outside a handful of Captains(Luffy, Whitebeard, Roger, Shanks, and Doflamingo), I don't think we've seen anyone with crew who would die with a smile.

I think an SBS mentions that Doflamingo saved Sugar's and Monet's lives when they were young.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, a lot of his crew are people who he found down and out, I think. Or who found him, like Law/Baby 5/Pinwheel Guy.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
doffy's relationship with his core crew is one of the most interesting aspects of his character imo. it seems to me there's a bonafide and mutual sense of family there, probably the only one doflamingo has ever considered real since it's the only one that hasn't been taken from him or betrayed or fallen short of his ideals. i don't think this contradicts his monstrous nature, not the least of reasons being the business they conduct, and in fact i think it's informed by that nature and especially so in how he interprets the relationship. his founding members seem to hitch their wagon to the same anarchic ambition for the top he declared after knocking out the crowd torturing him. everyone who comes after is from what he would consider the same broken background as he is, with the same broken reaction to it or at least predisposition to be raised into that reaction, however valid that comparison is externally. it's worth remembering he never saw law as a chess piece, all the talk of kindred spirits and becoming a protege feels earnest.

i think rosinante stealing both his apprentice and his immortality physically and spiritually inspires genuine rage and disappointment and his interactions with rosinante before his murder and with law in the modern day showcase this intensely. i think things like his tolerance of his crew's eccentricities and violent defense of their sensitivities are honest, but in the same breath, he's as genuine in the seemingly mutual belief that any sacrifice is worth it if it helps propel him further and further above the world. he's also groomed the successive generations of that family to ensure that mutual feeling. i think everything about the relationship both ways is exemplified by monet and vergo's deaths. every emotion on display there feels real to me, the willingness to ask for the sacrifice, the willingness to give it, and doflamingo's frown after the call is made, separate from the frustrations to his plans. it's not like there was any audience present to put that frown on as a show for and his words of farewell are wasted on the soon-to-be-dead if they aren't meant. it's not like they needed convincing.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Arlong: Holy loving poo poo. Hody’s hat just got him in huge trouble in a meeting. Fisher Tiger made Hody take off his hat. He said it was distracting. He said if anyone disagreed, he’d let Hody keep the hat on. Nobody said poo poo dude. Nobody said poo poo.

Jimbei: What did he do when Fisher Tiger made him take it off?

Arlong: He took the hat off and he hid his head in his hands. You could tell he was crying. He kept saying under his breath, “you can’t loving do that”. Then Fisher Tiger said “what’s that, Hody?” and he said nothing. And then a minute later, he said “it’s not a distraction. The guy at the Criminal store said I’m the only guy he’s ever seen pull it off”. Fisher Tiger asked him how much it cost, and he said “it’s illegal for you to ask me that.” And Hody said “I’m putting the hat back on, I don’t care what happens to me. Fisher Tiger said “just take the hat off, Hody”. “No I’m not taking the loving hat off”. Then he stood up and said “I’ve never fought for anything in my entire life. I’m fighting for this hat.” He went to slam his hand down on the table but he hit his

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jinbei would never commit the crime of insider trading

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

tbp posted:

FI through dressrosa is the worst stretch of the manga

I don't disagree but yeah like has already been said, it really speaks to me to how good one piece is that even in this stretch, I can think of things I love and that would be THE top moments in other manga. Cool moments like Law cutting a mountain in half, Zoro beating Pica or God Usopp. Hilarious stuff like Chopper hat and Lucy. Incredible favourite characters like Fisher Tiger, Bartolomeo and Senor Pink. There's the little Oda touches that make the series in there too, like Robin telling Franky not to speak in Choppers body or Cavendish eating roses.

One Piece is good is what I'm saying.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

One thing I realized recently is that the main reason Dofy and Corazon ended up being so different is just their age. We say that they both experienced the same upbringing, but Cora was only 2 or 3 when they gave up the CD titles. Doflamingo was already 5. He wasn't old enough to have the notion of being a "god" put into his mind. Dofy on the other hand did have that idea given to him on the most impressionable time of his life. His mind was too far gone at that point.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Dofy is also a bad guy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dressrosa is definitely bloated and drags a bit in some parts but it has a lot of incredible moments, a great villain and a surprising amount of good payoffs even for the secondary characters. In retrospect I actually look back on it pretty fondly and regard it as a transition to the better storytelling we got in later arcs

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Dofy is also a bad guy

Hes a bad guy because he grew up as a celestial which gave him all the wrong reasons to hate the world and the people who hurt him

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No, he's just a bad guy. Have you seen his sunglasses? A good guy wouldn't wear those.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scholtz posted:

No, he's just a bad guy. Have you seen his sunglasses? A good guy wouldn't wear those.

Kin'emon wore them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Kin'emon wore them

checkmate

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Punk Hazard gave us a whole bunch of great Robin moments, like her random cute thoughts, her gruesome jokes, and her reactions to Franky in Chopper's body. Law getting increasingly dragged into SH antics. Franky immediately eating the rumble ball. Zoro's badass "wild animal" moment. The dragon making a dramatic entrance, only to be lunch by the next chapter. Team Luffy acquiring winter coats. The slime ignoring CCs speech introducing it.

Basically I don't think there is a One Piece arc where I can't think of a lot of things I like that happened during it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Team Luffy beating up the locals and tearing the clothes right off their backs like murder hobos acquiring winter coats was my favorite joke of Punk Hazard.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Punk Hazard will always be near the bottom of the rankings just because Zoro refusing to fight a woman is so antithetical to his backstory and I hate it. That arc and Dressrosa have an unfortunate element of misogyny with Tashigi getting berated so much for being weak and Rebeccas... entire existence.

The worst arc and most out-of-character one is probably Whiskey Peak. Luffy attacking Zoro is loving dumb.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 16, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

luchadornado posted:

Arlong: Holy loving poo poo. Hody’s hat just got him in huge trouble in a meeting. Fisher Tiger made Hody take off his hat. He said it was distracting. He said if anyone disagreed, he’d let Hody keep the hat on. Nobody said poo poo dude. Nobody said poo poo.

Jimbei: What did he do when Fisher Tiger made him take it off?

Arlong: He took the hat off and he hid his head in his hands. You could tell he was crying. He kept saying under his breath, “you can’t loving do that”. Then Fisher Tiger said “what’s that, Hody?” and he said nothing. And then a minute later, he said “it’s not a distraction. The guy at the Criminal store said I’m the only guy he’s ever seen pull it off”. Fisher Tiger asked him how much it cost, and he said “it’s illegal for you to ask me that.” And Hody said “I’m putting the hat back on, I don’t care what happens to me. Fisher Tiger said “just take the hat off, Hody”. “No I’m not taking the loving hat off”. Then he stood up and said “I’ve never fought for anything in my entire life. I’m fighting for this hat.” He went to slam his hand down on the table but he hit his

Smiley face emoji…

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4JqjH0PVk

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder how that would have ended if CP0 didn’t interfere. Luffy would be toast either way I assume

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

All this talk about Punk Hazard and no one is gushing over the Yeti Cool Brothers???

mabels big day posted:

Kin'emon wore them

prove it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nephthys posted:

Punk Hazard will always be near the bottom of the rankings just because Zoro refusing to fight a woman is so antithetical to his backstory and I hate it. That arc and Dressrosa have an unfortunate element of misogyny with Tashigi getting berated so much for being weak and Rebeccas... entire existence.

The worst arc and most out-of-character one is probably Whiskey Peak. Luffy attacking Zoro is loving dumb.

Luffy fighting Zoro was out of character, but the comedy surrounding the reasoning and their anger at Mr. 5 and Ms Valentine's Day for interfering were funny enough to give it a pass. As that was the only bad thing in Whiskey Peak, it is a good and cool arc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hatty posted:

Wonder how that would have ended if CP0 didn’t interfere. Luffy would be toast either way I assume

Yeah, there was still no way luffy was defeating kaido. At best, there would have been a cross counter akin to luffy vs katakuri, with kaido managing to get back up and luffy running out of haki and stamina from g4 and getting smashed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gyges posted:

Luffy fighting Zoro was out of character, but the comedy surrounding the reasoning and their anger at Mr. 5 and Ms Valentine's Day for interfering were funny enough to give it a pass. As that was the only bad thing in Whiskey Peak, it is a good and cool arc.

It's also kind of early enough into the series where it doesn't feel too unbelievable of a setup based on what we know of the characters at that point. It's kind of like how in Alabasta Luffy would be horny a couple of times for Nami, but after the arc basically became an asexual person, having no lust for characters like Boa later on.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I've read this manga, it's my favorite manga. I still have no idea

1. How Hody Jones just kind of got better after Zoro smoked his rear end.

2. How he, I guess, beat Zoro after??

3. How the Yeti Cool brothers beat Zoro.

4. About Pretty much anything narratively related the Yeti Cool brothers.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

The second bad thing about Whiskey Peak is that it's forgettable enough that Luffy and Zoro fighting is the only thing I remember about it. I think Vivi was there so I guess it was probably an ok arc....

Julias posted:

It's also kind of early enough into the series where it doesn't feel too unbelievable of a setup based on what we know of the characters at that point. It's kind of like how in Alabasta Luffy would be horny a couple of times for Nami, but after the arc basically became an asexual person, having no lust for characters like Boa later on.

It's mostly dumb because Luffy is trying to kill Zoro just because he hurt some people who gave them food. It's ridiculously over the top and even at that point really out of character. He still trusted Nami after she literally betrayed and robbed them. WP is also after them breaking the cask which is the point they all become nakama.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Desumaytah posted:

Hody slammed a bunch of steroids to heal himself from being a loser. Then things started crumbling in the palace and Zoro didn't really lose, just got distracted.

And the Yeti Cool Brothers are a special breed of giant that beat Zoro by dosing him with a really strong sleeping gas. Doesn't matter how strong someone is if you can knock em out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one of the yeti cool brothers has a moai face and it's cool

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

1. The whole reason Hordy went SSJ Blanco was overdosing on steroids to self-medicate after the asskicking he got from Zoro

2. Zoro one-shot Hordy, and then drowned becuase he’s not a Fishman

3. They drugged him, CC beat Luffy initially by using CO2 poisoning so idk why that’s the point of contention.

4. They’re yetis, brothers, and cool and chill, hope this helps

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

The second bad thing about Whiskey Peak is that it's forgettable enough that Luffy and Zoro fighting is the only thing I remember about it. I think Vivi was there so I guess it was probably an ok arc....

It's mostly dumb because Luffy is trying to kill Zoro just because he hurt some people who gave them food. It's ridiculously over the top and even at that point really out of character. He still trusted Nami after she literally betrayed and robbed them. WP is also after them breaking the cask which is the point they all become nakama.

It's one of those things that probably should have been telegraphed better since it turns out food and hospitality of it is really important to Luffy, so yeah in hindsight it makes sense he'd be royally pissed a member of his crew would betray that hospitality seemingly so easily.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Desumaytah posted:

They’re Cool Yetis and they figured out Zoro’s secret: he’s actually a huge goober, which is not cool

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm keeping my thumbs crossed for Garp to loving raze that stupid island. I hate it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
recently binged back up to date after like six months mostly out, just wanna say lmao vegapunk rules, lmao kidd drools, the absolute breakneck pace the series has suddenly hit with EVERYTHING with every character at this point makes me feel like it actually could wrap up in a couple years or less even. devoting just a single chapter to kidd and law each getting owned, and what, two or so chapters around koby and garp. poo poo is going a mile a minute, but I don't think I mind

also the full MV for Future Island dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNn24KHPRQ&hd=1

I can't believe Mori got to do a song for One Piece, even if it's just a trailer thing. it's wild, and then they gave her an egghead costume(kinda wish she had it for the MV), which just makes her look exactly like Bonney lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I loving love the whole Garp thing going on but I also loving wanna see what's going on in Egghead Island to see what's up with York and the Straw Hats and CP0 but also what's up with the Revolutionaries??????????????? and it's like oh my god why can't there be 2 chapters of One Piece a week there's just so much going on and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Man I loving love the whole Garp thing going on but I also loving wanna see what's going on in Egghead Island to see what's up with York and the Straw Hats and CP0 but also what's up with the Revolutionaries??????????????? and it's like oh my god why can't there be 2 chapters of One Piece a week there's just so much going on and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

contemplating freezing myself for 5 years so i can binge through this arc in one go

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nephthys posted:

Off the top of my head
  • Turns out what looked like spines on a cactus were actually the graves of pirates in the mountains.
  • Zoro and Nami were only faking being passed out, because they realized what was up.(Sanji probably did too, but the pretty ladies were more important.)
  • Zoro beats up/kills 100 bounty hunters all over the town. 50/50 badass/comedy.
  • Zoro reveals that he killed Mr. 11 when he was initially recruited by Baroque Works.
  • Vivi comes clean about being a Princess and her mission.
  • Mr. 5 and Ms Valentine show up because they know that Vivi and Igaram are spies.
  • Nami scams her way into a 1 billion berry reward for helping out.
  • Comedy ensues when Vivi lets slip that Crocodile is the head of Baroque Works and the Unluckies quickly draw up portraits of Luffy, Zoro, and Nami.
  • Igaram dresses in drag to try and misdirect Baroque Works into following him instead of Vivi.
  • Most of the remaining Baroque Works people stationed at Wiskey Peak also take Vivi's side, because apparently Zoro only diced the hell out of the non-bro members.
  • Igaram gets blowed up.(Robin did it)
  • Robin makes her first appearance, offering an eternal pose to Alabasta which Luffy immediately smashes. Only luck and magnetism can tell him where to go.
  • Robin's transportation is a cool turtle named Banchi that unfortunately doesn't join the crew along with Robin.
  • The crew follows the Log Pose's direction for the first real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's okay once we hit a sufficiently intense cliffhanger with garp's story we'll switch back in time for a long flashback about bisoromi bear's tragic history