Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But that feels like a different Nyneave than the first few books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

But that feels like a different Nyneave than the first few books

The first few books are pretty different than the rest of the books so yea, that also covers almost everyone.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It feels like everyone got more nuanced tho, except Nynaeve, who was so accepting of Egwine hiding Rand in the second book seems a more mature world person than the Nynaeve we sa in FoH

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

I think that the "Actually, a lot of the worst parts of the last three books were by Jordan" comments should really be "Actually, a lot of the worst parts of the last three books were Jordan's rough drafts", because he didn't get to go through his lengthy editing process and Sanderson (understandably imo) didn't want to touch them.
Lengthy editing process?
I literally thought by the time the slog was going on it was Harriet editing and just kind of nodding that crap through. That's what the slog kind of looks like, just totally unedited.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Trailer dropping 9am Wednesday (ET). There are a couple of rando stills floating around.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rando stills

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1680940422804414464?s=20

looks like eggy getting leashed or maybe just channeling

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey does anyone have a link for a kinda old readalong blog of WoT? I stumbled on it a while ago while reading TSR and it did a great job of giving some great thoughts on it. I know, not a lot of clues. I don't think its the official WoT related one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Various people on Twitter are being DMd stills from what appears to be a gif of the Horn of Valere's box opening

https://twitter.com/PerrinsNose/status/1680992040396439552?s=20

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Hey does anyone have a link for a kinda old readalong blog of WoT? I stumbled on it a while ago while reading TSR and it did a great job of giving some great thoughts on it. I know, not a lot of clues. I don't think its the official WoT related one.

This one? https://neuxue.tumblr.com/WoT-liveblog

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like it! Thanks!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

El Grillo posted:

Lengthy editing process?
I literally thought by the time the slog was going on it was Harriet editing and just kind of nodding that crap through. That's what the slog kind of looks like, just totally unedited.

Apparently, Harriet's involvement as editor grew smaller with every book. Which might explain the slog. The wife of an author probably has more power to push back on superfluous scenes than some random editor in the face of a New York Times bestselling author.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Torrannor posted:

Apparently, Harriet's involvement as editor grew smaller with every book. Which might explain the slog. The wife of an author probably has more power to push back on superfluous scenes than some random editor in the face of a New York Times bestselling author.

Also because the books were selling so well they were turning them out and printing them without full editing passes during the 8-10 period. The fifth edition of Path of Daggers still has some spelling and grammatical errors.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Does anyone else feel killing Asmodean in FoH was a huge mistake? There was so much material to be mined there, could Rand trust him, was Asmodeon actually really trying to help him, the weirdly close (feels like he was the character that Rand was most open to regarding his plans) and also plainly antagonistic/on the verge of getting violent. Just so we could have a weak sauce mystery that was desultory solved sort of outside the books years later? It feels like a really big missed opportunity, even if just for Asmodean's take on the court politics around Rand in the later books.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Looks like they found all 26 frames for this little gif

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1681099489325600770

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Does anyone else feel killing Asmodean in FoH was a huge mistake? There was so much material to be mined there, could Rand trust him, was Asmodeon actually really trying to help him, the weirdly close (feels like he was the character that Rand was most open to regarding his plans) and also plainly antagonistic/on the verge of getting violent. Just so we could have a weak sauce mystery that was desultory solved sort of outside the books years later? It feels like a really big missed opportunity, even if just for Asmodean's take on the court politics around Rand in the later books.

Eh, there's a Watsonian reason, in that the real play is to drive Rand to despair so he willingly loses. So much of the incompetence that we see really isn't, it's careful manipulation to make victory appear possible but unlikely so Rand can get ground up. This makes teaching too much a risk and so Asmo gets murdered as soon as he's done teaching basics. After all, all the 'Chosen' are just pawns to be sacrificed.

I really do think this is important, because just like ta'veren is the cheat to make coincidence just part of the story, the typical villanous disorganization is actually organized, it's the DM in the form of the Dark One and Ish putting in level appropriate challenges. Given all the forces in the blight and the ease with which two other continents were subverted you'd need something like it to explain why the Ish didn't just roll everyone with a million trollocs and half the White Tower being Darkfriends.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I guess that's an in-story reason for it (though Graendal killing him seemed to be just a crime of opportunity, him stumbling onto her as she was looting Rahvin's loot in the palace). But I'm talking in a writing sense, Asmodean was a great and inscrutable character in a lot of ways, and it felt like his arc wasn't fully explored, which is a shame.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shageletic posted:

I guess that's an in-story reason for it (though Graendal killing him seemed to be just a crime of opportunity, him stumbling onto her as she was looting Rahvin's loot in the palace). But I'm talking in a writing sense, Asmodean was a great and inscrutable character in a lot of ways, and it felt like his arc wasn't fully explored, which is a shame.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense in story but I agree with you from the writing pov. I really enjoyed Asmodean being around for a lot of reasons. He's actually funny, intentionally or otherwise, has a perfect outsider perspective, and there were a ton of potential story hooks with him. Some of the semi similar beats went to Moghedien getting captured in Salidar, but the dynamic wasn't really the same there.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shageletic posted:

(though Graendal killing him seemed to be just a crime of opportunity, him stumbling onto her as she was looting Rahvin's loot in the palace)

'cause it's a retcon from Taim becoming not Demandred after RJ got mad that it was too obvious, RJs notes reveal it was originally Demandred.
Asmo was getting clipped either way to make room for the Black Tower.

I forgive it just because it lead to a much neater swerve at the end.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I coulda used more buddy cop shenanigans frond Asmo myself. There were plenty of books to kill him in.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

rj should have kept uno as the killer as it was originally

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Invalid Validation posted:

There were plenty of books to kill him in.

In retrospect, yes, but I doubt Jordan was planning to double the length of the series at that point. I always felt Lanfear would've killed Asmodean at some point to keep Rand from getting too uppity and also to cover her tracks. It was to my great disappointment that he instead died seemingly at random from poking his head into a closet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think Asmo was also meant to be something of a bait and switch. We are told that no one can walk in the Shadow so long that they cannot reach the Light. Asmo's arc asks the question: is this true even of the Forsaken? I agree that Lanfear always intended to return and kill him before he taught Rand too much, so we'd never have found out for sure, but it's still interesting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

rj should have kept uno as the killer as it was originally

Wait what. Lol how does that make sense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just sitting in the dark in the closet, swearing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like Skinner and Krabappel

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Did Jordan or his wife ever say how many books he intended the total series to be? Because based on the pace of events in the three Sanderson books it seems like it would have taken Jordan at least six books assuming he decided to start winding things down at that point.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I actually killed asmo, sorry that you had to find out this way

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

thekeeshman posted:

Did Jordan or his wife ever say how many books he intended the total series to be? Because based on the pace of events in the three Sanderson books it seems like it would have taken Jordan at least six books assuming he decided to start winding things down at that point.

It was originally supposed to be a trilogy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I actually killed asmo, sorry that you had to find out this way

You bastard!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thekeeshman posted:

It was originally planned as a trilogy but I believe Tom Doherty contracted him for six books right off the bat knowing Jordan would often run long. By the time Great Hunt was written and Eye was published, he was already planning for four to six books total.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

thekeeshman posted:

Like others said, it was initially a trilogy but Tor bought a 6 book series. I think it's fairly obvious that he quickly realized that he had a much bigger story to tell, and was laying down more plotlines than could possibly be wrapped up in a few books.

This was posted on dragonmount apparently and is pretty funny to read through.

dragonmount posted:

He still isn't sure how long WoT will go on for, saying probably seven books but adding that when The Eye of the World first came out he saw the series as four books.

"At present I am indeed hoping to complete the cycle in either seven or eight books. I am 90% confident that I can do it in seven, 95% confident that I can by eight. The thing is, as a famous manager of an American baseball team once said: 'It ain't over till it's over.'"

"It will last several more books, until I reach the last scene, which has been in my head since the very beginning."

"I do hope there will not be ten books all told. I'm planning for eight, at present, and hope very strongly that I can wrap it all up in that length."

He said he writes as the ideas come and he has no clue as to how long the series will be!

"I knew from the start that I was writing something that would be multiple books. I just never knew how many, exactly."

Not only did he decline to set the number of future WoT books, but he denied ever setting a number and says he never planned it to be only a trilogy. But he seemed to indicate he was planning 9-10 books total. When faced with the prospect of about twelve books, his wife threatened to divorce him and his editor began to make jokes about the Irish Mafia.

"Several. Some. A few. I'm not even speculating now on how many books I hope it will take, because every time I do mention a number I hope I can finish it in, it turns out to take longer. It will be at least eight, because I've signed the contracts for books seven and eight."

"I've stopped saying how many more books there will be."

"At one time, I did hope for eight; now I don't think so. I certainly hope (Please, God!) it doesn't go to ten books, but I have stopped saying anything except that I will write until I reach the last scene of the last book, which scene has been in my head from the beginning."

"There will be a few more books, some, not a lot, hopefully fewer than seven more."

"It will be at least ten books, yes. There will be some more books, not too many, and please God, not so many as I've already written. I am, in truth, writing as fast as I can. I want to maintain the pace of the story until I reach the final scene, which has been in my head since before I started writing The Eye of the World."

"There will be at least three more books. I'm not saying that there will be ONLY three. I'm saying that I can't finish in fewer than three."

"I believe—believe!—there will be three more books. I am trying to finish up as soon as possible, but I cannot see how to do it in fewer than three books. That isn't a guarantee, mind! In the beginning, I thought that there would be three or perhaps four books total, but it might go to five, or even six, though I really didn't believe it would take that long. It wasn't a matter of the story growing or expanding, but rather that I miscalculated—brother, did I!—how long it would take to get from the beginning to the end. I've known the last scene of the last book literally from the beginning. That was the first scene that occurred to me. Had I written it out 10 years ago, and then did so again today, the wording might be different, but not what happens. It has just taken me longer to get there than I thought."

"When I finished A Crown of Swords, I said it would take me at least three books more to finish. Now that I have completed The Path of Daggers, it looks like it will take me at least three more books to finish. Believe me, guys, I'm trying as hard as I can to get there as fast as I can."

"I don't have a set amount of books planned. I believe it will take at least three more books to reach the ending that I have known for more than 15 years."

"Remember, after A Crown of Swords I said at least three more books....the same thing I say now."

The usual "at least three more books" was mentioned several times in an increasingly loud voice.

"I am only asked that question by about 300 people a day. The answer is that there will be at least three more books. At least. As I said earlier, I know everything that I want to happen and I have known the last scene of the last book for fifteen years. I also know that I cannot get everything that I want to happen into less than three more books. So that's where we stand at the moment."

Firstly, RJ said three more books "at least" and that he'd try to do it in three if he could, but he couldn't promise it would be only three. And he said he thought it would take "at least five years".

"Sigh! At least three more. I know I've said that before, but it's still the case."

"It still sits at three more books to finish, but I've always said from the time I began using the three books that it would be AT LEAST three books—that I'd try to finish in at least three books, but I couldn't promise. I know that I couldn't possibly finish in fewer than three. If I can finish in three, I will. But that's what I'm hoping for, what I'm trying for. NOT a promise."

"There is no set number. It takes as much space as it takes."

The next book will be out very soon after he's finished writing it. He don't know how many more books there'll be. At least three. If he can finish it in three, he will.

There will be no more than five, but also no less than another three books to be expected to appear in The Wheel of Time series.

"There will be at least three more books. The next book will be in bookstores very shortly after I finish writing it, and Michael Jordan is my kid brother whom I taught to play basketball."

"After Crossroads of Twilight, there will be two more books, knock wood, God willing and the creek don't rise. I never intended The Wheel of Time to be this long. The story is progressing the way I planned, but from the beginning I believed I could tell it in many fewer words, many fewer volumes."

"I think twelve."—Harriet

When asked "how many more books?", which of course met great laughter, he responded that he had started the process intending to have only five or six. Now on book 10, he remarked that he would complete the series in two more books if at all possible. If not, then three.

Jordan showed up around 7, and gave a little speech. He said there will be at least two books, and that he will not write a word more than he has to.

"How many more books will there be? There will be at least two more books. I apologize for that. I cannot finish it in fewer books. I will try to finish it in two more. I have known the last scene of the last book since 1984. I know where I'm going. The problem is...[my tape is once again inaudible and this was one of the few parts of his speech I could not hear, sorry gang]. That's about it."
"I really hope—knock wood, spit over your shoulder, and sacrifice to the gods—that I can finish up in twelve books total. We shall see."

"No, at least two more books, I'm afraid....I've had some people say they'd like five or ten, but I generally throw something at them."

"I hope—please God, are you listening?—that there will be only two more books in the main sequence."

"I very much hope to finish in two more main sequence books. It's not an absolute promise, but I'm very much hoping for it and I think I can do it."

"I sincerely hope it will be possible to tie everything up in two books."

There is only one book left in the series but it will be a doozy. He will fight to prevent it from being "George R.R. Martined," or split for publication.

"I am committed it is going to be 12 books, even if it is fifteen hundred pages long and it requires you to bring a luggage cart to get it out of the store. Bring your knapsack, you may need it, because no matter what the case that is going to be it."

"One more—the twelfth book. That will be so even if that book has to be 2000 pages in hardcover, and require a luggage cart and shoulder strap to get it out of the store."

"I have said it before and will say it again. There will be one more book. Even if it has to be a 1500 page book. It will be the last book even if you have to use a luggage cart to move it."

"For Segovia, my intention is finish with twelve books, and that may mean that the last book will be VERY long, but I really can't say how long it will take me to write. My publisher is always trying to get me to commit to a time frame. I just do a little sand dance until he goes away. I carry a small bottle of sand with me in New York for exactly that purpose."

Book Twelve will end the main sequence if he has to personally go to New York and beat the publishers at Tor, even if it runs two thousand pages and they have to invent a new way to bind the books (shudder). There will be two more prequels a la New Spring, and there might—very big MIGHT—be another trilogy in the same universe.

First, "the next book will be out very shortly after I'm done writing it." Next, "the next book will be the last book, even if it's 2000 pages, and you need a luggage cart to carry it out of the bookstore."

"Can we all say it together? One more book. I don't care if it has to be 2000 pages and you have to wheel it out the door. One more book."

"After Knife of Dreams, there's going to be one more main-sequence Wheel of Time novel, working title A Memory of Light. It may be a 2,000-page hardcover that you'll need a luggage cart and a back brace to get out of the store. (I think I could get Tor to issue them with a shoulder strap embossed with the Tor logo, since I've already forced them to expand the edges of paperback technology to nearly a thousand pages!) Well, it probably won't be that long, but if I'm going to make it a coherent novel it's all got to be in one volume."

It really, really seemed like as time went on he was aiming for 12. With what was left to settle, it would likely have been two 1100 page books but that would have been fine with me. He was putting the pedal to the metal in A Knife of Dreams and all of the dominoes were starting to fall.

Because of the timeline being hosed up we got the balescream's initial effects in AKoD, even though the actual event happened in TGS. I don't think Sanderson sped up the ending; Jordan was clearly heading towards it.

That's the issue with spending so long setting so many things up; they all need to be wrapped up at some point. Which he was doing!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Wait what. Lol how does that make sense.

asmo yelled his killer's name phonetically, but too many people figured it out so rj changed it

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So the official account is doing a social media engagement thing and DM'ing images to people active on #TwitterOfTime that make a little gif when stitched together. Yesterday the gif was what looks to be Turak opening the Horn of Valere box

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1681099489325600770?s=20

And todays image looks like it's gonna be Elayne and Egwene being captured

https://twitter.com/MeRavingMad/status/1681341832889012225?s=20

Here's the one they sent to me. The little rhyme things are Seanchan omens.

Ballgags are here to stay :laugh:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 18, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Here's the final 18 frame gif

https://twitter.com/MeRavingMad/status/1681372108075720704

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like this is todays completed gif

https://twitter.com/meravingmad/status/1681365868297736192?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

weaves certainly look better

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

That one is missing two frames, this is the final version:

And actually, here is a different interpretation of the blasts

https://twitter.com/AranTalk/status/1681373983503941657?s=20

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

And now there's a 3rd gif started up:

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1681380157934776320

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Look at all this community engagement they got going on.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

All I want is a Lanfear frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Here's the third gif:

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1681417736281309185