Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:hmmyes:

We need more Mei Saint-Michels.

So glamorous and elegant...

Crossposting this from the Wrestlers on Social Media thread to ask:

How are moves like this, or Prince Devitt/Finn Balor's stomp on someone from the top turnbuckle done without causing injury? It just feels like there's so much that could go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

With something like that I'd guess the only part she's hitting Chie with is her shins. With Finn's stomp...as I'd always heard that just sucks to get hit with and there's little avoiding it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

edogawa rando posted:

How are moves like this, or Prince Devitt/Finn Balor's stomp on someone from the top turnbuckle done without causing injury? It just feels like there's so much that could go wrong.

It looks like she's landing with most of the weight on the mat, so I guess it's a matter of shifting your weight properly as you fall, so the audience still sees the opponent getting stomped but you're not putting the impact there.

Looks like it's hell on her knees though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wasn't it Macho Man who would eventually just legit gently caress you up with his elbow because he couldn't land on his bad hip anymore to cushion the fall?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

It's the same with Jeff Hardy now, and he's admitted that it's because he's old and it hurts a lot to do it otherwise

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Taxman posted:

It's the same with Jeff Hardy now, and he's admitted that it's because he's old and it hurts a lot to do it otherwise

Has he considered no longer doing it & also no longer wrestling in general? Asking for a friend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't it Macho Man who would eventually just legit gently caress you up with his elbow because he couldn't land on his bad hip anymore to cushion the fall?

Yeah. He about murdered referee "Lil' Naitch" Charles Robinson one night with it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

You land on your rear end on the mat mostly. Not finn or kevin sulivan though they just kill you.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

on that note, I imagine that the cinderblock which Swerve stomped onto Keith Lee's chest both looked and actually was incredibly painful, unless it was some kind of gimmick cinderblock that cushioned a lot of the impact

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. He about murdered referee "Lil' Naitch" Charles Robinson one night with it.

quote:

"They were going to be the winners and Savage was going to do the elbow on somebody. And Ric Flair looked at me and said, 'It ain't gonna be me.' I was volunteered to take the elbow drop from Savage, and unfortunately, he landed on me and he put me in the hospital for a couple weeks. He collapsed my lung [and] cracked some vertebrae in my back, and my wrestling career was over."

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Venomous posted:

on that note, I imagine that the cinderblock which Swerve stomped onto Keith Lee's chest both looked and actually was incredibly painful, unless it was some kind of gimmick cinderblock that cushioned a lot of the impact

I was more concerned Swerve was going to hurt himself with all his weight coming down stomping on a precious, crumbling landing spot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

brace up

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s like when your older sibling used to tell you to stop being a crybaby, except the older sibling in this case is a 200+ pound fully grown human being and they’re landing on you from 5-6 feet up in the air.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suplex Liberace posted:

You land on your rear end on the mat mostly. Not finn or kevin sulivan though they just kill you.

Riho, too. Like yeah she's tiny but her double stomp looks loving nasty.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s like when your older sibling used to tell you to stop being a crybaby, except the older sibling in this case is a 200+ pound fully grown human being and they’re landing on you from 5-6 feet up in the air.

I've heard a lot of modern moves have come about with people either loving about or botching into a move that doesnt kill someone, I have to wonder, who was the first to think "yo I could totally mario stomp someone without killing them" and then someone stupid enough to go "yea, I'll take it"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

First one I remember doing that was Kevin Sullivan, though I'm sure he stole it from somewhere

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would like to see a Kevin Sullivan Murder Death Hell Stomp, since the only times I've seen it it was a cute li'l Satanic bunny hop.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Finn does the stomp like a box jump which helps soften the landing, but it’s still a good amount of force coming off the top rope

https://youtube.com/shorts/MW2CMoL9HbI?feature=share

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I would like to see a Kevin Sullivan Murder Death Hell Stomp, since the only times I've seen it it was a cute li'l Satanic bunny hop.

its not crazy but sulivan is not doing much to lessen the impact and hes much heavier than Riho.

https://youtu.be/rAV1BTUxs3c

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

It looks like poo poo and probably hurt crazy to take so the double whammy of bad moves

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
AFAIK, there's two safe-ish ways of doing the double stomp:
1. Bend your knees as you land and effectively slip backwards on your feet so most of the impact hits your butt rather than the opponent.
2. Bend your knees and roll forward as you land.

If there's another way, I'd like to know more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

It looks like poo poo and probably hurt crazy to take so the double whammy of bad moves
I think a while back we discussed moves that hurt but don't even look like it? Devil stomp must be up there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Things like top rope stomps and head dives should be way more banned than regular piledrivers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

I've always said the 2 axis of wrestling moves are 'looks good/looks like poo poo and 'hurts like a mfer/light as a feather'

My gold standard of 'looks poo poo/hurts' is usually Shane McMahon's punches, but that stomp isn't far behind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Mysterio didn't holler the loud, funny words.

Probably could do flying butt pliers, though

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 19, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gaz-L posted:

I've always said the 2 axis of wrestling moves are 'looks good/looks like poo poo and 'hurts like a mfer/light as a feather'

My gold standard of 'looks poo poo/hurts' is usually Shane McMahon's punches, but that stomp isn't far behind.

Flatliners look like poo poo

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

so Shane-o-mac was shoot punching people?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I believe you mean the Reverse Space Tornado Ogawa

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Captain Foo posted:

counterpoint: flatliners are cool as poo poo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

counterpoint: flatliners are cool as poo poo.

Darius Martin has a pretty good one, i will concede

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Grey posted:

I think Shane has the opposite problem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He was punch shooting people.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think that's the standard Bret used to use to define good working as the "Looks good, Light as a feather" quadrant and why he thought Flair-style chops were bullshit pro-wrestling moves because they legit hurt.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But then he'd run run into the turnbuckle and take the impact with his chest. I've always been surprised he never really hurt himself with that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But then he'd run run into the turnbuckle and take the impact with his chest. I've always been surprised he never really hurt himself with that.

I wonder if there’s some weird magic where he hits the perpendicular ropes with his biceps or something so he’s not actually going chest first. Haven’t seen a Bret match in a while so I haven’t seen him specifically do that spot lately, though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's actually what I was thinking as I was typing that.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

There might also be a bit of hurting yourself is fine because you're just a dumbass, but don't hurt your partner because that makes you an rear end in a top hat.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I hope somebody tagged Shane back once and dared him to cry to daddy about it.
I hope it was Taker. Vince likes Taker better anyway.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are some examples of fighting game moves ported into wrestling? (It has to be explicitly called the move from the fighting game to count) Kenny used to do the Hadouken and SPD (on Yoshihiko), Speedball does the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, anyone else I'm missing? I'm surprised SHO doesn't have an EWGF-type move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Grey posted:

In his later years, very much so. He'd do these lovely boxing style punches that look like they barely connect but guys would bruise during the match.