Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charlz Guybon posted:

Those are pretty weak charges if that's all they're thinking of.

Be careful, that's a load-bearing if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Be careful, that's a load-bearing if.

They tend to be.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Murgos posted:

It’s amazing how he can’t help but suck his own dick in the middle of trying to make a statement about being arrested.

It's great because by the time he gets to the object of that sentence you've forgotten how its started;. It looks like he's saying 'I'm leading Joe Biden in the polls, HORRIFYING NEWS'

which, yeah we agree :sigh:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Am I crazy in thinking that a trial starting in March or April of next year is actually the worst timing for Trump and Republicans? It puts the trial right in the middle of primary season. Now this may not actually hurt Trump’s chances at winning the nomination, but what does the GOP do if Trump wins enough delegates and then gets convicted?

They’re going to have to face a choice of still officially nominating him at the convention, and putting a convicted felon on the ballot, or somehow revoking all the delegates he won and nominate someone the old fashioned way. Running Trump after he was convicted would be disastrous for them in the election, but so would nominating someone else because the Trump fanboys would riot.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not even a situation worth thinking about. Unless Trump is finally relieved of this mortal coil by one, final, filet-o-fish he will be the nominee and honestly even then I peg it as a "maybe". All the rest of that stuff won't be taken in to consideration by the rabid base.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Maybe the RNC convention will have its own Jan 6. I'm not wishing for such violence, of course, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me. MAGA is a cult.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
That's only really possible if Trump doesn't win the nomination. At this point, him dying seems to be the only thing that *might* do it. The base is so crazy that they may not believe news of him dying.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Those are pretty weak charges if that's all they're thinking of.

The actual target letter would generally cite specific or general US Code sections and we are getting that translated into layman speak.

Also lol that witness tampering by the former president is now a “weak charge”.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

smackfu posted:

The actual target letter would generally cite specific or general US Code sections and we are getting that translated into layman speak.

Also lol that witness tampering by the former president is now a “weak charge”.

He tried to overthrow the government. Treason, insurrection, conspiracy to commit murder, etc.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feds don’t bring charges that are hard to convict against former POTUS.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Am I crazy in thinking that a trial starting in March or April of next year is actually the worst timing for Trump and Republicans? It puts the trial right in the middle of primary season. Now this may not actually hurt Trump’s chances at winning the nomination, but what does the GOP do if Trump wins enough delegates and then gets convicted?

They’re going to have to face a choice of still officially nominating him at the convention, and putting a convicted felon on the ballot, or somehow revoking all the delegates he won and nominate someone the old fashioned way. Running Trump after he was convicted would be disastrous for them in the election, but so would nominating someone else because the Trump fanboys would riot.

Would it?

What's the profile of a voter who would vote for Trump now but not then?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

Cannon has provided an unprecedented amount of poo poo to :bahgawd: over, you needn't invent new ones.
Speaking of!

quote:

PAPERLESS Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Aileen M. Cannon: Pretrial Conference Pursuant to Section 2 of CIPA held on July 18, 2023. The Court heard argument from the parties on the Government's Motion for Continuance and Request for Proposed Revised Scheduling Order 34 . The Court denied the Government's Motion for Protective Order 79 without prejudice for lack of meaningful conferral.
CIPA's text on protective orders:

quote:

Upon motion of the United States, the court shall issue an order to protect against the disclosure of any classified information disclosed by the United States to any defendant in any criminal case in a district court of the United States.

From the government's motion:

quote:

5. On July 12, 2023, the Government sent to counsel for the Defendants the proposed protective order. On July 14, 2023, counsel for the Defendants informed the Government that they intend to object to certain provisions of the proposed protective order, but did not specify any such provisions.1 Because the entry of a protective order is necessary to provide any classified discovery to the Defendants, the Government respectfully requests that the Court require the Defendants to file on an expedited schedule any objections to the proposed protective order.

1 In an effort to narrow any disputes, the Government asked to have a call on July 14 with counsel for the Defendants in order to see if it was possible to address the Defendants’ concerns. Defense counsel informed the Government that they were not available that day but could find a time for a call the following week. Government counsel responded that the Government did not want to delay filing this motion because a protective order needed to be entered prior to the provision of classified discovery, that Government counsel would be available for a call over the weekend, and that it would be helpful for defense counsel to identify the provisions they found objectionable. Government counsel has not heard further from defense counsel since sending that email on July 14, but is filing this motion now to avoid further delay. The Government notes that since sending the proposed protective order to defense counsel, the Government has made minor, clarifying edits to a few provisions.
(This is not a huge deal, but is more illustrative of the small and petty ways Cannon can disrupt the process than whateverthefuck was being theorized upthread)

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 19, 2023

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Would it?

It's probably more a matter of motivating Biden voters than discouraging trump ones.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Haystack posted:

It's probably more a matter of motivating Biden voters than discouraging trump ones.

I honestly think that it would be impossible to say whether Trump being convicted would motivate or demotivate conservatives at this point. And I think Dems are about as motivated as they will be.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

Senor Tron posted:

Would it?

There is a small but significant percentage of independents who indicate that they would not be willing to vote for Trump if he was convicted (but would be willing to vote for him for anything short of a conviction) because "voted for a convicted criminal" doesn't line up with how they see themselves and sitting out one election is easy. It's an open question how truthful they are, but I think there's good reason to believe they are, and if it is true it would swing the direction wildly in favour of Biden.

Even if those folks are lying or don't really exist, voting against a convicted criminal seems at least someone motivating for non-Trump folks who don't want one of them as president.

It's not a guaranteed boost to his opposition (propaganda can do a lot to twist narratives and turn such things around) but its a reasonable thing to believe imo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 19, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Paracaidas posted:

Speaking of!

CIPA's text on protective orders:

From the government's motion:

(This is not a huge deal, but is more illustrative of the small and petty ways Cannon can disrupt the process than whateverthefuck was being theorized upthread)

If they have to, they can just go to the 11th circuit for a writ of mandamus along with a motion to expedite. She can't gum up the works more than a couple days with this, if even that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Senor Tron posted:

Would it?

My dad is an old school republican of the George W/John McCain/Wall Street Journal (but not the editorials) flavor that doesn't really have a place in the party anymore. He's always voted straight ticket republican out of habit and convenience. He did so very grudgingly in 2020 (and was duly horrified by Jan 6), but voting for convicted felon Trump would definitely be too far for him. Even without a conviction I doubt he would vote for Trump again as he is very aware of the damage Trumpism has done (and continues to do) to what he knew as the Republican party, but a conviction would definitely be the nail in the coffin. I don't think he would vote for Biden or any other democrat, but he might vote libertarian or just not vote in the presidential election.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
You can now go on Tv and call Trump a rapist.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1681655281724342273

gregday
May 23, 2003

Trump will sue the judge for defamation.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

smackfu posted:

It’s a good sentence diagramming exercise.
Do you think it beats some of the W stuff? I was always really happy with the W versus Obama diagrams.

Just Obama: https://thegrammarvandal.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/diagramming-obamas-sentences/

I don't know if diagramming even applies to common T stuff. Isn't most of it like a closed loop of repeated nonsensical adjectives and adverbs?

Nephthys posted:

I honestly think that it would be impossible to say whether Trump being convicted would motivate or demotivate conservatives at this point. And I think Dems are about as motivated as they will be.
Honestly the greater issue is voter exhaustion. The jerk was voted out in 2020; go away already. Instead we're sitting here listening to daily calls for violence, blatant lies, incitement, potential ongoing espionage, and this lingering endless responsibility of needing 87% of non-maga voters to turn out just to get above their gerrymandering. We want him throwing ketchup at prison walls so we can, after seven loving years, breathe a single sigh of relief.

Most voters (survey?) seems to care about the presidential election... when it's time for the loving election. This nonsense of "I might run for president in 2068 makes everything interference!" is just getting really old. Meanwhile the 35% that think he's still president are just sitting there waiting to go check the box to "make it official".

Accidents also happen to good people. EG suppose the D candidate dies 5wk before the election. That might cause moderates to stay home, then the R+7 is a guaranteed win. Just look at the margin because of the October Hillary email claims. (I'm no good at history, what's the closest to election a candidate has died?).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

gregday posted:

Trump will sue the judge for defamation.

Judge: A-ha! I now activate my trap card, Absolute Privalage! It shields me from making defamatory statements if made during the course of my duties! And it affords me a full defence against your law suit!!

I now attack you for legal costs directly against your wallet!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

(I'm no good at history, what's the closest to election a candidate has died?).
Horace Greely died a few weeks after getting crushed by Grant in 1872, months before the electors convened.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

There is a small but significant percentage of independents who indicate that they would not be willing to vote for Trump if he was convicted (but would be willing to vote for him for anything short of a conviction) because "voted for a convicted criminal" doesn't line up with how they see themselves and sitting out one election is easy.

The dave_o's of the world?

There can't possibly be that many voters that fit this criteria

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Fuschia tude posted:

If they have to, they can just go to the 11th circuit for a writ of mandamus along with a motion to expedite. She can't gum up the works more than a couple days with this, if even that.
Yup, and I'll be surprised if they even have to take that step as opposed to just actually conferring and giving more than 2 business days notice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Accidents also happen to good people. EG suppose the D candidate dies 5wk before the election. That might cause moderates to stay home, then the R+7 is a guaranteed win. Just look at the margin because of the October Hillary email claims. (I'm no good at history, what's the closest to election a candidate has died?).
MO gov Mel Carnahan (D) died in a plane crash on Oct. 16th 2000, which was too late to remove his name from the ballot for US Senator. He was running against John Ashcroft (R) (who would later become the infamous W attorney general who ordered statues of Justice with nekkid boobies clothed among other less funny things) and the incumbent senator John Ashcroft lost 50-48. To a dead man, the first senator incumbent or otherwise to have done so.

His wife was appointed in his place at the decision of the Lt. Gov (who was elevated to governor after Carnahan's death and had promised to appoint her should Carnahan have won) until such time a special election could be held (which was 2002, when his wife lost to Jim Talent by 20,000 votes).

He was the first US Senate candidate to posthumously win an election. There had been three House candidates who had done so previously.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just imagine being so unlikable for Missouri that a dead man beats you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Angry_Ed posted:

Just imagine being so unlikable for Missouri that a dead man beats you.

Oh I remember perfectly well how unlikable John Ashcroft was.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oh I remember perfectly well how unlikable John Ashcroft was.

I mean, sadly he'd probably get elected no problem today. Republicans in 2000 still had a sense of shame and a conscience

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1681731436972261396

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean, sadly he'd probably get elected no problem today. Republicans in 2000 still had a sense of shame and a conscience

I think the GOP base has moved well past Ivy League-educated neocons. Were Ashcroft (or someone like him) to win a primary yeah the GOP base will vote for him but Ashcroft would lose a primary fight to a car dealership owner present at 1/6 promising to purge the deep state and posing with their family of 7 all wielding AR-15s in mailers.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I'm here to say Yay, though I await the actual indictment. Two weeks? Friday?

Interesting that target letters have not been received by RudyG or JEastman (according to their lawyers). Seems a dumb move to acknowledge that since it might incur T wrath when he realizes they're prosecution witnesses. If true, though, it sure suggests enough actual evidence to skip over those small fries and charge T (and one other, Meadows?) with the whole setup.

I've heard as early as tomorrow but probably not later than Monday. Idk how realistic that is

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think the GOP base has moved well past Ivy League-educated neocons. Were Ashcroft (or someone like him) to win a primary yeah the GOP base will vote for him but Ashcroft would lose a primary fight to a car dealership owner present at 1/6 promising to purge the deep state and posing with their family of 7 all wielding AR-15s in mailers.

I think Ashcroft could have potentially pivot to them, mainly by bragging up how involved he was in illegal torture of Muslim detainees. But yeah, he's one of yesterday's monsters, not today's.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The indictment is almost assuredly already written, so there probably isn't anything stopping Smith from filing it after tomorrow when Trump doesn't show up to respond to the target letter. Ben Wittes of Lawfare notes that it will probably be filed under seal so as to allow an orderly process for Trump to show up for surrender and arraignment—as happened with the Mar-a-Lago indictment.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

I didn't know Darrel Issa had moved to Missouri :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of the Jan 6th defendants is a sovereign citizen who demanded to be paid $75,000 an hour from the court for providing his own legal defense and is currently wanted for skipping his court date.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1681450031885287426

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Has sovereign citizen stupidity ever worked? Like, has it worked even once in modern history? How are there so many people so stupid that they gently caress around like this in such a high risk situation?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Has sovereign citizen stupidity ever worked? Like, has it worked even once in modern history? How are there so many people so stupid that they gently caress around like this in such a high risk situation?

It worked for the Malheur Terrorists.

Ok to be fair that was more because the FBI utterly botched their investigation and arrest process (this is why it's important to do things right and not fast) but still.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Does the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge standoff with the Bundys count (as being efb)?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Depends what you mean by "worked."

I was helping someone in a civil case and their ex-husband claimed they were "bound by Moorish law" and had a passport he made saying he was granted Moorish citizenship by some treaty that exempted him from U.S. civil law.

He wasted a huge amount of time and delayed things by not providing process servers with accurate addresses.

He could have accomplished the same thing by just dodging the servers and being a jerk without claiming Moorish citizenship, though. It also made him eventually get a default judgement and lose all of his cases, but he was extremely difficult to enforce a judgement against because he had no official address or job and was just being paid in cash after moving to another state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

No, it's universally ineffective in court. It wastes time and annoys everyone involved, which draws out the case but also basically ensures that no one's feeling sympathetic when sentencing time comes around.

The people who do it generally don't know that, though. Moreover, sovereign citizen communities usually assure people that if sovereign citizen stupidity isn't working, it's because the diabolical prosecutor or judge is breaking the law in attempts to intimidate them into surrendering their rights, but can't really hurt them as long as they maintain those rights. As such, they're convinced that as long as they stick to sovcit tactics and don't give in to the pressure of the legal system, everything the prosecutor or judge does to them will eventually be overturned and then they will be rewarded with absurdly huge piles of cash as restitution for the government's misdeeds.