Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jenkl posted:

Does it just hook onto the one screw in that keyhole slot?

Looks like it to me, but there should also be a matching screw on the other side of the box so that it can slot onto both and turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I am looking for an eye hook of some (or something similar) sort I can clip a carabineer to that I can attach to my shed roof with an epoxy of some sort. I was using 1/2 inch pipe straps, but the ears don't have enough surface area and keep pulling off. The intent is to be able to clip the edge of a (loose, not pulled tight) shade sail to the roof of the shed. Does anyone have any ideas of what I might be able to use.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Get an eye bolt. There are ones with solid eyes and ones where there's a little gap you can slip straps through. Either will work for a carabiner. Then just screw the bolt into the frame of the structure. Don't use epoxy.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, epoxy is not a thing for this. You need that eye bolt through something solid and secured.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Hey guys think I found why my dryer isn't working!

On recollection, Lowe's installed the dryer when we moved in. It was brand new and the right screw in this picture was missing. I bet they swapped out the plug and hosed something up.

Well, at least your house didn't burn down.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm looking for some grommets, preferably plastic, or at least something less likely to corrode.
I want to get a floating swim mat that I can toss off the back of my boat and people can hang off it, sun themselves, gently caress around etc... and tie it to the boat so it doesn't float away. The material is foam and about 1.5" thick, so I'd like to poke a coupe holes in the mat, put the grommets in, secure them with glue/epoxy or whatever the gently caress, and then be able to put a rope through them.

Any suggestions on what I can use for something like that? I don't want to just use the bare holes, I'd prefer to have something that will be abit more secure and also more wear resistant than the foam.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BonoMan posted:

Hey guys think I found why my dryer isn't working!

On recollection, Lowe's installed the dryer when we moved in. It was brand new and the right screw in this picture was missing. I bet they swapped out the plug and hosed something up.

Well, there's your problem

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I'm looking for some grommets, preferably plastic, or at least something less likely to corrode.
I want to get a floating swim mat that I can toss off the back of my boat and people can hang off it, sun themselves, gently caress around etc... and tie it to the boat so it doesn't float away. The material is foam and about 1.5" thick, so I'd like to poke a coupe holes in the mat, put the grommets in, secure them with glue/epoxy or whatever the gently caress, and then be able to put a rope through them.

Any suggestions on what I can use for something like that? I don't want to just use the bare holes, I'd prefer to have something that will be abit more secure and also more wear resistant than the foam.

Stub of PVC pipe?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I bet the swim mat dies long before a metal grommet would, even living in salt water. I would use stainless ones. Really though you're really going to want a press to install them securely. The hammer on ones probably won't bite quite right. Might be able to take it... Somewhere? To get them installed.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yeah, epoxy is not a thing for this. You need that eye bolt through something solid and secured.

Yeah, they're secured with eye bolts to the house. Unfortunately, as stated, Royal sheds have this dual walled PVC construction that has nothing solid to secure to. This is what the walls and roofs look like.

I could slide a 2x into the roof assembly for one of the locations, but I can't at the other location as the edge of the roof abuts the other shed.

Maybe I'll do eye bolts into the fence and just run ropes over the sheds. Not exactly an elegant solution.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

How about 2 of these sandwiched on either side of the mat and connected with a screw and nut like a foot in from an end?

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/prod...TM5OC41OS4wLjA.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Could try a flat mount eye, slather it with JB weld and hope for the best? I have things I've repaired with JB weld that have no business still holding together years later. But then you are hoping the weak point isn't the roof...

Lowe's link

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Plastic through fittings and gorilla glue would make good cheap foam grommets

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody have an opinion on cheap Midea vs Bosch dishwashers? My number one concern is reliability; I've had a $299 Hotpoint that has been a pain in the rear end since the day I bought it. I couldn't care less about sound; I almost always have a loud window A/C unit running and typically run the dishes overnight anyway.

The "fancy" Midea (third rack, LED lighting, extended dry cycle) is about $450 while the barebones Bosch 100 series is $150 more. I'm leaning towards the Bosch because they're highly recommended, but I always get hesitant once I start digging into user reviews.

Edit: We have hard water, so I like the Midea's drying feature, while the Bosch doesn't have a heating element. This isn't a deal breaker, but it is a point in the Midea's favor.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 19, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

The "fancy" Midea (third rack, LED lighting, extended dry cycle)

I don't have anything to say between those two brands, but all I could think about after seeing you mention dishwasher LED lighting was this post.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Rakeris posted:

Could try a flat mount eye, slather it with JB weld and hope for the best? I have things I've repaired with JB weld that have no business still holding together years later. But then you are hoping the weak point isn't the roof...

Lowe's link

Eh, after thinking it though I'm going to give eye bolts in a fence post a try and just run some cord to the grommets and hope I am not too annoyed by it. I won't see them 98% of the time and will only have to set up and remove it once a year.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
You could maybe just use and eye bolt with a toggle anchor

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jenkl posted:

Does it just hook onto the one screw in that keyhole slot?

Can you explain what would hook into what? I'm a dunce.

Also, I don't know how to take the light fixture covering off so that I can clean out the ants that have collected and died near the light.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 19, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody have an opinion on cheap Midea vs Bosch dishwashers? My number one concern is reliability; I've had a $299 Hotpoint that has been a pain in the rear end since the day I bought it. I couldn't care less about sound; I almost always have a loud window A/C unit running and typically run the dishes overnight anyway.

The "fancy" Midea (third rack, LED lighting, extended dry cycle) is about $450 while the barebones Bosch 100 series is $150 more. I'm leaning towards the Bosch because they're highly recommended, but I always get hesitant once I start digging into user reviews.

Edit: We have hard water, so I like the Midea's drying feature, while the Bosch doesn't have a heating element. This isn't a deal breaker, but it is a point in the Midea's favor.

We have a Bosch 300 and it's pretty good. You're right that drying is a weakness, though, plastic stuff usually comes out with drops on it even with the extended dry cycle (soft water). It also tends to leave some rinse aid on dishes near the door when that's just been refilled

Other than that I do like it a lot, it was worth the money

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 19, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This forum is officially a Bosch dishwasher death cult. I would try to afford a slightly higher than base model if you can.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TV Zombie posted:

Can you explain what would hook into what? I'm a dunce.

You have a single silver screw bolt coming from the box in your ceiling. You should probably have 2, both opposite from each other. There is likely a threaded hole "behind" the yellow wire nut from the perspective of your photos. Get another round head bolt the same size and length and screw that in to the same depth as the one you currently have.

On the back side of your light fixture there are several mount holes that look like thermometers. The round parts are where the bold heads would slot into. Then you would twist or slide the fixture in such a way that the bolt heads slide into the straight part of said hole. This prevents the fixture from falling down.

quote:

Also, I don't know how to take the light fixture covering off so that I can clean out the ants that have collected and died near the light.
This might be easier to figure out with a picture from the side or front of the unit, but it's possible that there might be a small notch or indent on the dome near where it meets the base where it would be possible to get a small screwdriver or other pry in and pop the dome off. I would caution that it might not actually be possible, and just because you could get the dome off doesn't mean it would go back on. I'm guessing from pictures that this is an LED fixture and does not have lightbulbs that need to be replaced, is that correct?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We are currently scheming to swap the dishwashers in our new house (tbd inspection, actually closing, etc) because ours is a Bosch and theirs is Kitchenaid. On one hand this seems hilarious, on the other hand, I don't know if I want to go through the hassle for a 6 year old unit.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I’m on my second Bosch (due to house move, not from the unit failing). Bosch is the truth.

For hard water spots and haze, these are by far the best solution I’ve found (I don’t even need to use rinse aid anymore).

https://a.co/d/1YJWr9w

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stupid puma posted:

I’m on my second Bosch (due to house move, not from the unit failing). Bosch is the truth.

For hard water spots and haze, these are by far the best solution I’ve found (I don’t even need to use rinse aid anymore).

https://a.co/d/1YJWr9w

oooo Might have to give those a try. Our rinse aid compartment has leaked basically since we got the unit so we don't use rinse aid. We don't have spots but... why not right? Sadly the dishwasher does take +20 minutes (I assume and a lot more electricity) due to it not detecting rinse aid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As I understand it, rinse aid is basically just citric acid. It encourages the minerals in the water to stay dissolved, instead of drying onto your dishes. You can buy citric acid powder in bulk; it's used as a cleanser and also for making sour candies. No need to pay extra for the dishwasher-specific stuff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I understand it, rinse aid is basically just citric acid. It encourages the minerals in the water to stay dissolved, instead of drying onto your dishes. You can buy citric acid powder in bulk; it's used as a cleanser and also for making sour candies. No need to pay extra for the dishwasher-specific stuff.

Hrm. I think I have citric acid powder actually. This is what jet dry claims to be but I'm no chemist. Really it would be nice to not have everything take 20 minutes longer and in theory more electricity. I should climb under the sink and hook up my kill-a-watt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

H110Hawk posted:

Hrm. I think I have citric acid powder actually. This is what jet dry claims to be but I'm no chemist. Really it would be nice to not have everything take 20 minutes longer and in theory more electricity. I should climb under the sink and hook up my kill-a-watt.

I am a chemist (though I’ve got no experience with sodium xylenesulfonate) but the aforementioned is mainly a coupling agent and viscosity modifier. It can be used to thicken or emulsify solutions, or as a wetting agent. Basically it’s used to help spread the soap and change the foaming characteristics.

It looks like it costs about $100/kg from whoever AK Scientific is, but you can also get it for $139/kg from Sigma Aldrich. The SDSs I’ve seen make it seem pretty benign if you can find a way to buy it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
5% ABV, bottoms up!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I am a chemist (though I’ve got no experience with sodium xylenesulfonate) but the aforementioned is mainly a coupling agent and viscosity modifier. It can be used to thicken or emulsify solutions, or as a wetting agent. Basically it’s used to help spread the soap and change the foaming characteristics.

It looks like it costs about $100/kg from whoever AK Scientific is, but you can also get it for $139/kg from Sigma Aldrich. The SDSs I’ve seen make it seem pretty benign if you can find a way to buy it.

Yeah the whole sds is like "I mean, don't drink it ew" but otherwise fine. I don't know what the rest of the composition is though. If it's literally citric acid in water (at what %) thickened and wetted I could mix up a big batch of it myself to squirt in. Mostly this $10/bottle or whatever of jet dry that lasts "300 loads!" lasts more like 60 and I can see it leak. :effort:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a way to know which size c-clip i need on my patio door handle? I can't really bring it into the store as then the door couldn't close

it's one of these basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPeeArbXzgM

the handle is pretty loose and a pella guy said that was the cause

In other news, that replacement lock is having issues. The multipoint lock is supposed to be about 3/4" smaller than the door, but the gap is all on the top of the door because it doesn't fit exactly right. so the upper multipoint lock does nothing, whereas the bottom one goes down a bit too far, so it can't be locked. lame.

this seems to cover it the best.

https://www.allaboutdoors.com/Article-How-to-Replace-a-GU-Ferco-Multipoint-Lock-in-a-Pella-Door

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 20, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

We are currently scheming to swap the dishwashers in our new house (tbd inspection, actually closing, etc) because ours is a Bosch and theirs is Kitchenaid. On one hand this seems hilarious, on the other hand, I don't know if I want to go through the hassle for a 6 year old unit.

Yes you do because Kitchenaid washers are loving garbage. The one that came with my place was barely a year old when we bought it and it never cleaned worth a poo poo.

Six years old is enough that I'd consider a new dishwasher instead of bringing your old one, though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes you do because Kitchenaid washers are loving garbage. The one that came with my place was barely a year old when we bought it and it never cleaned worth a poo poo.

Six years old is enough that I'd consider a new dishwasher instead of bringing your old one, though.

The debate is a swap vs buying a new one. :v: Because uh, same.

Speaking of which, I should be price hunting since I have months.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, I took it as "swap or not".

At any rate I can't really talk because I hauled some seven-year-old (at the time) LG laundry machines from my old house to the new one because I didn't want to buy new ones. Or pay movers, because I'm an idiot like that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was ambiguous. But yeah we hauled our washer dryer here. Dryer is still kickin but there is a 240v outlet by the dryer already which is nice. My goal is to become reasonably self sufficient off solar + battery. It's that or buying a stupid generac.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have a big French door in my kitchen:

A few years ago, my dog did this to the door, because there were PEOPLE in the BACK YARD. Never mind that I was out there with them.

Is this fixable, or is it "get a new door" time? The scratches along the bottom rail are something I could probably sand out if I didn't mind the door surface no longer being flat, but I have no clue if the small bits of wood that are holding the windows in can be replaced. I'm pretty sure they can't just be repaired in-place. I'm a decent carpenter and have access to a reasonably complete workshop of tools.

If it's "get a new door" time, where would I shop?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have a big French door in my kitchen:

A few years ago, my dog did this to the door, because there were PEOPLE in the BACK YARD. Never mind that I was out there with them.

Is this fixable, or is it "get a new door" time? The scratches along the bottom rail are something I could probably sand out if I didn't mind the door surface no longer being flat, but I have no clue if the small bits of wood that are holding the windows in can be replaced. I'm pretty sure they can't just be repaired in-place. I'm a decent carpenter and have access to a reasonably complete workshop of tools.

If it's "get a new door" time, where would I shop?
If you don’t mind painting the door, you could Bondo over all that and then scrape/sand it to match the existing profile. Otherwise you might try steaming the damaged areas and then scraping/sanding to match.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you don’t mind painting the door, you could Bondo over all that and then scrape/sand it to match the existing profile. Otherwise you might try steaming the damaged areas and then scraping/sanding to match.

The steam/clothes iron trick won't work completely in this case, because he absolutely severed fibers and removed material from the door. Bondo and paint is potentially an option, though. My primary goal here is to rehab the door enough to sell the house, so really all I care about is that there won't be issues that will make prospective buyers lowball me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can’t believe you would go outside and leave Dog in the kitchen to perish alone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The steam/clothes iron trick won't work completely in this case, because he absolutely severed fibers and removed material from the door. Bondo and paint is potentially an option, though. My primary goal here is to rehab the door enough to sell the house, so really all I care about is that there won't be issues that will make prospective buyers lowball me.

I would just replace it. Bondo and matching the profile is just gonna be an exercise in frustration and probably not worth taking the time away from the million other things you will be doing (and doggo time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Does it really need to be fixed to sell? In my market at least no one would bat an eye at that.

I feel like most dog owners would just be like "yeah cool don't need to fix that just so mine breaks it again."