Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Said book apparently omits Tyrion ENTIRELY from the story, despite him being the trueborn son of a major House ruler (not like medieval nobility takes lineage seriously, right?), having a massively recognizable physical appearance, nickname and infamy, his kidnapping being the trigger for the Lannister/Stark war that would bloom to the War of Five Kings, Acting Hand of the King for the defense of the capital, wedded to the heiress of another major House, ACCUSED OF REGICIDE, his trial by combat exploding the budding peace, being an accessory to the invasion of the continent by foreign hordes, then casually deciding that Westeros is now an elective monarchy, a la Medieval Poland or holy roman Empire, take your pick. Plus other stuff I'm surely forgetting.

You really have to wonder how much of a gently caress they didn't give at this point. I can almost respect it.

I'll go to bat for that one. That's the one thing out of all of that slop that actually felt like it was a GRRM joke, something that survived from the napkin scribble The Rotund One handed those two dipshits on the day they demanded he give them the end of the story in case he died and made it all the way to John Bradley and Peter Dinklage doing a scene with it on film and then that scene airing on television. It is the natural conclusion of the theme of "literally everyone in Westerosi society hates Tyrion Lannister" so some up-his-own rear end maester in the Citadel just erasing him from history purely out of spite seems like it would be one last GRRM-style comical gently caress you to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Platystemon posted:

The answer to “there’s inconsistencies in the text!” isn’t usually that there’s some deep subtextual structure that explains everything. It’s that George is an inconsistent writer.

As much as I really like some of those theories this is the conclusion I've laregly come to. It would be really cool if some of the inconsistencies meant something or was cool foreshadowing but that's probably not the case and hinging an entire theory on that is probably going to lead to disappointment.

Like, I really feel like The Pink Letter Mystery isn't going to be that much of a mystery in the end but people laser focus on that so much due it's close proximity to the death of a major character and the start of the 12 year hiatus. I feel like the mystery of who wrote the letter might be revealed very quickly (it was Ramsey and he was pissed).

A lot of the theories are still really cool, though

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

God, sorry, I can't get over this loving AI story. It's so bad!

quote:

The fate of Westeros hung in the balance, and the subversions of expectations that had plagued him throughout his journey had finally converged into a single, momentous challenge. His mind raced, searching for answers amidst the tumultuous sea of thoughts. The subversions of expectations whispered in his ears, reminding him of the alliances he had forged, the battles he had fought, and the subversions of expectations that had tested his resolve.
The subversion of expectations demanded action—a swift and decisive response to the impending subversion of expectations that threatened to engulf the realm. Summoning his most trusted advisors, Jon gathered them in the Great Hall, its towering walls adorned with the faded banners of houses long gone. The flickering torchlight cast dancing shadows upon their faces, the play of light and darkness mirroring the internal struggle each of them faced.
Sansa Stark, her auburn hair cascading like a fiery waterfall, broke the silence with a voice tinged with urgency. "The subversion of expectations has brought us to the precipice of destruction, Jon. We must rally our forces, unite the North and the South, and face the subversions of expectations head-on. Only together can we hope to overcome."
Jon's gaze met Sansa's, his eyes betraying a mixture of determination and uncertainty. "The subversion of expectations has always tested our family, Sansa. But it is in the face of adversity that we have always found strength. We must send ravens to every corner of Westeros, urging the subversion of expectations to put aside their differences and stand against the common enemy."
Tyrion Lannister, his sharp wit matched only by the shadows etched upon his face, interjected, "The subversion of expectations has always been a master manipulator, Jon. We must outsmart it, employ strategies that no one expects. Our survival depends on subverting the subversion of expectations that seeks to consume us."
As the voices of his advisors rose and mingled, a symphony of conflicting opinions and perspectives, Jon's mind swirled with the complexity of the subversions of expectations that surrounded him. The subversion of expectations demanded unity, cunning, and sacrifice—the subversions of expectations that would determine the fate of all.
Amidst the fervent debate, Jon's gaze shifted to the parchment still clutched in his hand. The subversion of expectations that had brought him to this point now ignited a fierce resolve within him. He rose, his voice steady and commanding, cutting through the din.
"The subversion of expectations has reached our doorstep, my friends. The Wall has fallen, and the subversions of expectations march upon us. We must subvert the subversion of expectations, unite the realm, and face this existential threat as one."
The words hung in the air, each syllable resonating with the weight of the subversion of expectations that had brought them all together. The room fell silent, the gravity of the moment sinking deep into the hearts of those gathered. Jon Snow, burdened yet emboldened by the subversion of expectations, knew that the path ahead would be treacherous. The subversion of expectations had tested him at every turn, but now it was time for him to subvert the subversion of expectations, to rise above the chaos and forge a new future.
With determination etched upon his face, Jon led his advisors out of the Great Hall, their footsteps echoing through the silent corridors of Castle Black. The subversions of expectations awaited them, but so did the glimmer of hope—the possibility of subverting the subversion of expectations and preserving the realm they held dear.
The seal of House Bolton, an emblem of the twisted sigil that bore the flayed man, pressed upon the parchment, its red wax reflecting the flickering light of the hearth. Jon Snow's hand trembled as he broke the seal, releasing the subversion of expectations contained within Ramsay Bolton's missive. The subversion of expectations seeped into Jon's soul as he read Ramsay's gloating words, each line laced with the subversion of expectations that sought to shatter his resolve.
"The subversion of expectations is mine. Your sister, Arya Stark, now kneels before me, her subversion of expectations extinguished. The subversion of expectations of her suffering shall be my amusement, a reminder of the subversion of expectations that befalls those who dare oppose House Bolton."
The subversion of expectations coiled like a serpent in Jon's gut, its venomous whispers coursing through his veins. His mind raced, the subversions of expectations intertwining in a web of possibilities and fears. The subversion of expectations Ramsay boasted of, the subversion of expectations that Arya was in his clutches, clashed with the subversion of expectations that burned within Jon's heart—the knowledge that Arya was not at Castle Black, that Ramsay's words were a cruel subversion of expectations designed to sow terror and despair.

ctrl+f "the subversions of expectations" and it shows up 108 times :shepface:. Also, Jon is just alive in the beginning of Winds, with no explanation, he's just there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

ctrl+f "the subversions of expectations" and it shows up 108 times :shepface:. Also, Jon is just alive in the beginning of Winds, with no explanation, he's just there.

What was that AI trained on, some chud's 80,000 word magnum opus on how Rian Johnson is literally worse than Hitler because The Last Jedi gave their brain gonorrhea or something?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm just trying to wrap my head around "subversion of expectations"? What does the AI think it's saying?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Pink Letter was probably intended to be written by Ramsay and that’s probably what George will stick with, as opposed to say the lemon tree in Bravos that he seems to be turning from an author error into an actual twist, or the catspaw’s employer that I think that he left open for himself and not very convincingly tried to tie up later.

If not Ramsay, my candidate is Melisandre.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around "subversion of expectations"? What does the AI think it's saying?

I am, meanwhile, completely serious when I say that the only people I've ever seen use any variation of the term "subverting expectations" have been media illiterate grognards who are forever mad about some pop culture wound on their rice paper-fragile psyches. So wherever the AI picked it up from, it was not a place of honor.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Happy Landfill posted:

It's probably a phrase that appears in a lot of asoiaf articles

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Normy posted:

It's probably a phrase that appears in a lot of asoiaf articles

It's based on something the showrunners once said that eventually became a meme once the show started to suck.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Happy Landfill posted:

:psypop: the gently caress did I just read?

Any human fanfic, no matter how poorly written, would be miles better. The worst of the worst might even wrap right around to being hilariously awesome.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

La Louve Rouge posted:

Be warned though that Preston is committing to Quentyn being alive in his fic so you will almost definitely not agree with all his contributions to the story

oh poo poo I didn't stop to think they would all shove their own pet theories into the books and bring back everyone alive marvel comic style

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
anyway, I've being listening to the audiobooks for AFFC

one of the funniest moments in the book was in this Cersei chapter where Margery and her friends were teaching Tommen how to joust and they were all happy and cheering. Then Cersei showed and instantly "the roses wiltered" and everyone was miserable. Cersei's internal monologue was basically "hahah I'm so great that I made a bunch of 16 yr old girls unhappy!"

Also there's just something so petty about Cersei's evilness in the book. Like when Loras got burnt Cersei made the messenger who told her to go over the details repeatedly so she could memorize every bit of it specifically so she can personally break the news to Maegery and enjoy her suffering.

So she put in effort just so she can torment her 16 year old daughter-in-law with details of her brother being horribly injured. Like something about that is as evil as anything Ramsay did.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Typo posted:

anyway, I've being listening to the audiobooks for AFFC

one of the funniest moments in the book was in this Cersei chapter where Margery and her friends were teaching Tommen how to joust and they were all happy and cheering. Then Cersei showed and instantly "the roses wiltered" and everyone was miserable. Cersei's internal monologue was basically "hahah I'm so great that I made a bunch of 16 yr old girls unhappy!"

Also there's just something so petty about Cersei's evilness in the book. Like when Loras got burnt Cersei made the messenger who told her to go over the details repeatedly so she could memorize every bit of it specifically so she can personally break the news to Maegery and enjoy her suffering.

So she put in effort just so she can torment her 16 year old daughter-in-law with details of her brother being horribly injured. Like something about that is as evil as anything Ramsay did.

Cersei is a tremendous rear end in a top hat and causes a lot of drama just for the fun of it and through her sheer undeserved Peggy Hill-style smugness, and as a messy bitch who loves drama I will comfortably state that she is my favourite character in these books. The TV show did Cersei's Continuous Mistake dirty.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Happy Landfill posted:

From the very first prompt:

quote:

There must be subversion of expectations several times.

Obedient AI!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Typo posted:

We stan a queen :allears:

Tarnop posted:

From the very first prompt:

Obedient AI!

gently caress, this is it. :eyepop: :eyepop: I know companies are going to try really hard to publish books written by ai and I almost kind of hope they do because they're going to be awful and it might be worth it for all the ai bros who will go blue in the face insisting that it's truly a masterpiece.

One of the main editors for Clarkesworld (I think, one of the SFF magazines) said that after getting an influx of what was obviously stories written by AI they said there were real obvious tells of AI writing and I'm willing to bet one of the reasons for that is that the ""author"" doesn't bother proof reading the actual output. They assume that because 🌟AI🌟 did it it's perfect and flawless (and better than everyone elses). I would genuinely love to see the shlock that got turned in because I bet they all sounded exactly the same and had the same structure and all the characters sounded exactly like each other.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Does the existence of Dae-nerys imply that there is also a Night-merys?

Mods please change my name to Nightmerys, thank you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Happy Landfill posted:

I hate to keep bringing him up but Preston Jacobs and some other fans are writing a sort-of crowd-sourced fan fiction that he's posting on his Youtube channel. It's pretty good? hits the spot while also definitely not being the real thing. I really liked his Alayne chapter

That's just where we are at this point, "gently caress it, I'll just write a Winds Of Winter myself"

Bantam need to just pay Ty Franck how ever much he wants to finish the last two books and George can edit them, or something

Considering he probably wrote one of more of the existing books it wouldn't be that far off for him to finish the series.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll go to bat for that one. That's the one thing out of all of that slop that actually felt like it was a GRRM joke, something that survived from the napkin scribble The Rotund One handed those two dipshits on the day they demanded he give them the end of the story in case he died and made it all the way to John Bradley and Peter Dinklage doing a scene with it on film and then that scene airing on television. It is the natural conclusion of the theme of "literally everyone in Westerosi society hates Tyrion Lannister" so some up-his-own rear end maester in the Citadel just erasing him from history purely out of spite seems like it would be one last GRRM-style comical gently caress you to the character.

If the scene had Tyrion say something to the effect of "what the hell, all my accomplishments are credited to other people and [some Lannister cousin] is written as being the heir to the House" would've gone a long way.

Not long enough, but better than what we ended up with. Maybe it's supposed to be a joke about unreliable narrators/authors but the failsons running the show didn't have what it takes to pull it off.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
This actually happens all the time in real history books! We just don't know about it because those despised but super relevant people aren't in the history books. I know this because

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Happy Landfill posted:

I would genuinely love to see the shlock that got turned in because I bet they all sounded exactly the same and had the same structure and all the characters sounded exactly like each other.

My wife is a high school English teacher and this is the first year she regularly started getting AI-written papers turned in. She just grades them normally, because they are D+/C- level quality. They usually don't really answer the prompt. Sometimes they have quotes from a piece of literature that do not actually appear in said piece of literature. It might become more of a problem in the future but at the moment AI can't do anything more than bland content-mill quality writing.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

pthighs posted:

My wife is a high school English teacher and this is the first year she regularly started getting AI-written papers turned in. She just grades them normally, because they are D+/C- level quality. They usually don't really answer the prompt. Sometimes they have quotes from a piece of literature that do not actually appear in said piece of literature. It might become more of a problem in the future but at the moment AI can't do anything more than bland content-mill quality writing.

I actually like the idea of not giving these papers an instant 0 and just grading them to the quality that they are.

It's like that AI Gizmodo article they tried to publish that was something like, "the best order to watch star wars movies in" and you had The Force Awakens being slotted in after Attack of the Clones, and every single section started with the exact same sentence they just changed the name of the movie. It was so stupid.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure I could embrace "Preston Jacobs, Storyteller" even with a gun to my head

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Daenerys, fighter of the Nightmerys
Breaker of the Wheel

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

Season 8 Dany is Nightmerys. There, I said it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pthighs posted:

Huh, that's weird. Back when I was in school, "not answering the prompt" was always an instant failing grade in a paper.

I guess schools are a lot less demanding these days :v:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1683171556166631425?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

See it’s the lying that pisses me off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Thank you, George.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You don't have to lie to be cool, GRRM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George has been using that fan‐made cover art for more than seven years.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 24, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

To quote a much better and more productive author, Sometimes, he was easy to hate.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Platystemon posted:

George has been using that fan‐made cover art for more than seven years.

I was just going to say that lol At this point whatever the cover ends up being is going to be a disappointment--not that it's bad but every one is so used to this horn cover that the official one just isn't going to look right, no matter how good it is. I feel like they should just track down the artist and buy it off of them, or something.

I don't know, I kind of suspect that if whenever Winds comes out they're going to use that as an opportunity to go with a new design scheme so that they can re-release books1-5 with brand new covers and it will drive people nuts because that covers have to match on their bookshelves (if they care about that sort of thing)

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Happy Landfill posted:

I was just going to say that lol At this point whatever the cover ends up being is going to be a disappointment--not that it's bad but every one is so used to this horn cover that the official one just isn't going to look right, no matter how good it is. I feel like they should just track down the artist and buy it off of them, or something.

I don't know, I kind of suspect that if whenever Winds comes out they're going to use that as an opportunity to go with a new design scheme so that they can re-release books1-5 with brand new covers and it will drive people nuts because that covers have to match on their bookshelves (if they care about that sort of thing)

the book will never be released so this won’t be an issue

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We don't need anymore Dany making GBS threads or Mercy chapters.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

See it’s the lying that pisses me off.

Hey, if I open my word processor, change "Tyrion yawned as he opened the door wide" to "Tyrion opened the door wide as he yawned", close it and go enjoy my day, it still counts as 'Writing, rewriting, editing'.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe he just does it to keep his publisher off his back.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He does it to gently caress with me, personally, and I refuse to believe anything else.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Landfill posted:

I am Mad, yes, that I can't get all of them in UK first edition art.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mark immune posted:

the book will never be released so this won’t be an issue

They should release blank books with covers for Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring, so people can scribble mad gibbering in them and prank other people by pretending the books are out. Really it's the least they can do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kuiperdolin posted:

They should release blank books with covers for Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring, so people can scribble mad gibbering in them and prank other people by pretending the books are out. Really it's the least they can do.

They would seriously make a significant amount of money if they did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

They should do this, but with Winds and Dream

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1683199491069956099?s=20

Edit:twitter redirect is probably hosed for good so here's another link to the same story

https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-steelbook-no-disc/

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 24, 2023