Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The real trick will be pulling down the boards and not the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

... flat block work.

"flat"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

but then stalled out a bit as I'm unsure what to do with the electronic data lines down for the controllers. I'd just chiselled out tiny narrow/shallow chases to run them in and adhesive straight over but...

I accidentally rtfm

Now i dunno, should I put them in a conduit so they can be pulled out?

the connectors on the end are big fuckers

and won't fit down a normal conduit.

I dunno.

Usually there's just pins inside the connector. Pull the pins out and fish the wire, then put the pins back in the connector. You can use a tiny flathead screwdriver to release the pins.

Take a picture before you depin it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah was going to post that, or you can just cut and resolder the ends on the other side of the conduit.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

connectors is just pins

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leave enough service length so you can do it a few times if needed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I had a really unpleasant night's sleep, worrying about my bathroom walls.

Finally got up and went to site...

Decided to just do what it says and make sure I've got pull throughable conduit. I didn't fancy chopping the connectors off now, before I've even installed it and possibly still have a warranty. It lets me worry about cable lengths later on.

So yeah theres a couple of 6 inch horizontal sections that break the chase depth rules... but glueing on the backer boards feels like in practice I'm adding back in what I've cut out.

In terms of the boards falling off the walls, what I was most worried about. I used my new trowel and primed the walls and to be honest it was still a wank situation. The boards I'd already stuck on, I've decide to leave.

First bathroom seems ok really

I can only stick these on so high. Gotta now do the air tightness sealing membrane in the ceiling. Which might be many posts of whining.

en suite, now I'm worried things are not plumb in here. eurgh. Worst case do a cry in front of the plasterer, blame some made up rogue backer board installers and get them to fix the unplumbness. Also, now looking at the photo, wish I had rearranged the various tools and stuff to make an inappropriate sex rude shadow

Run out of washer thingies and priming gunk. So...

and I've lost track of all the cables, my labels don't line up... wtf is "lounge north sensor"? htf does that differ from "kitchen presence sensor"?

so I've got to go round cutting in a bunch of rj45 connectors to figure out wtf?

OK thats one!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

excited to see the wall hung toilets you went for, if they don't have hard wired Ethernet connection for remote bidet control I will be disappointed

Don't worry about being a tiny bit out of plumb, the tile adhesive and grout will hide things

Have you ordered the kitchen yet?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards an L shape architecture: still a wank situation

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If it helps at all, a lot of even the cheaper toners come with a connector that has two alligator clips on it, so you can test wires without having to terminate them. £15 gets you a toner and a sensor that'll do the job if you don't want to spend £300 on a full link tester with multiple detector boys.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Relevant, 1st thing on the video.

https://twitter.com/NewHomeQuality1/status/1658750722811240448?t=g0KBU76MYrXxogD5rTxK5A&s=19

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
This thread got me back into SomethingAwful after the Reddit 3rd Party app fallout, it's been really good poo poo - thanks OP and posters. Nothing quite like a multi-day read of a good thread on SA.

Haven't read such a good thread since that one epic thread years ago....it was a Vegas guy (CentripedalHorse or something) who became homeless and similarly documented his trials and tribulations of eating hot sauce with whatever he could find, camping where he could and lots of dramas along the way. Would love to read that again too.

Oh, and that guy who was gonna treck across a big chunk of America with a loving wheeled CART, and barely got out of the national park he started in, despite everyone's advice, so loving good.

Not to side-leech off of this amazing thread, but any other recommended legendary threads with epic OP-journeys? I have archives here, so i'm all ears to bookmark some classics.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 18, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sevalar posted:

who became homeless

no spoilers for this thread please

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sevalar posted:

This thread got me back into SomethingAwful after the Reddit 3rd Party app fallout, it's been really good poo poo - thanks OP and posters. Nothing quite like a multi-day read of a good thread on SA.

Haven't read such a good thread since that one epic thread years ago....it was a Vegas guy (CentripedalHorse or something) who became homeless and similarly documented his trials and tribulations of eating hot sauce with whatever he could find, camping where he could and lots of dramas along the way. Would love to read that again too.

Oh, and that guy who was gonna treck across a big chunk of America with a loving wheeled CART, and barely got out of the national park he started in, despite everyone's advice, so loving good.

Not to side-leech off of this amazing thread, but any other recommended legendary threads with epic OP-journeys? I have archives here, so i'm all ears to bookmark some classics.

Check out the first page or so of the legends thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&perpage=40&noseen=1#post530892361

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Sevalar posted:

I don't remember if it was in HCH or AI, but the guy who wanted to live in a box truck with a fire pit inside it was entertaining until it got shutdown because he ignored every bit of life-saving advice being provided to him

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I don't remember if it was in HCH or AI, but the guy who wanted to live in a box truck with a fire pit inside it was entertaining until it got shutdown because he ignored every bit of life-saving advice being provided to him

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957433&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's definitely a weird emotional rollercoaster.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He doesn't know.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Amazing

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no spoilers for this thread please

Hey now, you have biscuits and a PVC hotbox shipping crate to fall back on. Get some sausage rolls and monster munch in, it'll be a great life if the project falls on shakey foundations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sevalar posted:

Hey now, you have biscuits and a PVC hotbox shipping crate to fall back on. Get some sausage rolls and monster munch in, it'll be a great life if the project falls on shakey foundations.

There's no risk of that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I kind of need to cut a tiny knick out of the bottom of a roof truss...

I know it's not allowed so I think I need to ring back up the truss company and ask them to ok it.

But it's a bit embarrassing, if they're still even in business, that they'll be like we sold you those 3 years ago! Wtf have you been doing?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tell them you're remodelling or something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I kind of need to cut a tiny knick out of the bottom of a roof truss...

I know it's not allowed so I think I need to ring back up the truss company and ask them to ok it.

But it's a bit embarrassing, if they're still even in business, that they'll be like we sold you those 3 years ago! Wtf have you been doing?

It's an awful feeling. The entire carpet style that I was going for was discontinued long between me getting a quote and trying to order the carpet. I still see my plasterer around because his mum lives over the road from me and at some point I'm going to finally get him in to finish a few bits that he quoted for I think 4 years ago now.

goatface posted:

Tell them you're remodelling or something.

It's a home novation.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Sevalar posted:

A banger of a thread, CSB is a badass

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009338&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also finished off the boxing in for the final WC down the other end. This one needs a box all the way up to run a soil pipe up to a vent in the roof. I wasn't sure if i needed to do this as building regs are weird and its like I dunno 1 in 5 houses need this. It could be you?!?!?
But I do need it as I'm on my own self container sewer pump so otherwise I could blow myself up/gas myself.

It's not so much about explosion risk as when you flush the khazi it sort of moves like a plug down the sewer pipe. This creates transient high and low pressures that can pull and push the water out of other traps connected to the same system. Sometimes if you're in a poo poo hotel you'll find the shower plughole has regurgitated. Usually that's cause the vent pipe has blocked.

With your system there's also a scenario that as the pump runs on it'll slurp all the water out of the sink and toilet traps, leaving the sewer gas to waft its way up from the plugholes. The soil vent pipe will stop that but you can use an air admittance valve instead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My issue is that I'm trying to get ready for the plasterers to come in, which mean putting up plasterboard. drywall?

In the bathrooms the backerboard stuff I'm putting up needs the plasterboard in the ceiling before I put the top layer round so it like supports it?

but because I'm trying to achieve interroom air tightness I need the airtightness membrane in the ceilings first. Like also I need to put that in all the ceilings first too.

So first issue is the walls falling down a bit. So i spent an evening fixing that issue by lifting out loose blocks and cementing in extra gunk etc

I can't even remember what I've bought for this?

Some cool ferman passive house stuff. So like a few rolls of much the same paper as everything else, some more overpriced tape and gunk. i feel like a sucker most of the time

trying to staple my expensive pointless paper into my ceiling because its a worthwhile usage of my limited time on this earth

its ok i guess

also gotta fit around the ventilation down pipes. because otherwise whats the point? Can't suck all the air out of my airtight bathroom without an air sucker

working

getting in to seal the airvents is bullshit, this is actually an easier one!

how the gently caress am i supposed to get to that one at the back?

obviously I'm amazing and manage it

but come up with a better plan for future ones. I'll prefit an airtight skirt around them that I can just tape from below. like this

lol. I haven't actually got to the point.

So in the bathroom unfortunately the roof trusses above, that form the ceiling joists, line up perfectly with the wall below to the bathroom. And I've chased a chase into that wall to take up the shower on switch cable in a pull through conduit. But then it hits the truss. Which I can't chase.

I mean can't I? this truss is actually a double nailed together truss cos its where the loft ladder on the other side of the wall penetrates the ceiling. So it feels like... maybe I can?

But gently caress it. between the depth of ceiling and wall coverings I think I can lose the conduit in the edges

except gently caress

I've decided to make things more difficult for myself by putting an led strip profile along that wall/ceiling edge so actually

I need to just ever so slightly notch the truss

I'm sure its fine

also unrelated I fell off the toilet earlier, hit my head and came up with a new plan for my heating system which I'm sure will work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i don't know what's going on but if you ever have to sell this place you should print the entire thread and send it to the new owners for a laugh

normally people would go "what the gently caress were they thinking" but now they could actually know

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I don't know about that. I've been reading this thread since it started, and the head-scratching has only intensified.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Do you need insulation in the ceiling there?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

vanity slug posted:

i don't know what's going on but if you ever have to sell this place you should print the entire thread and send it to the new owners for a laugh

normally people would go "what the gently caress were they thinking" but now they could actually know

As I work on my own house where there’s normal PO bullshit like gaps between the baseboards and the wall you can stick your finger in. I’m not sure what it would do to my mental health to get an anonymous video showing that the tunnel to Russia from Stranger Things exists under my home.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

How much they payin you OP? Can't wait to see the horror adaption!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do you need insulation in the ceiling there?

Yeah. 150mm mineral wool between the truss ceiling joists. The floor in the loft is just sitting there, not fixed down so install from above.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

vanity slug posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

also unrelated I fell off the toilet earlier, hit my head and came up with a new plan for my heating system which I'm sure will work.

Pretty sure you just invented a flux capacitor.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Now I finally understand Primer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:five: lmao

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah. 150mm mineral wool between the truss ceiling joists. The floor in the loft is just sitting there, not fixed down so install from above.

Phew

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I need to just ever so slightly notch the truss

I'm sure its fine

Dude, find another route for your conduit, like poke through the wall and go around. Or double up the plasterboard, or put spacers under the ceiling joists and lower it 15-25mm if you have to. You really shouldn't notch a truss.

Will you probably be fine? Sure. Have we seen worse things on the internet? Yup. Is it bad practice due to any number of potential consequences? Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Dude, find another route for your conduit, like poke through the wall and go around. Or double up the plasterboard, or put spacers under the ceiling joists and lower it 15-25mm if you have to. You really shouldn't notch a truss.

Will you probably be fine? Sure. Have we seen worse things on the internet? Yup. Is it bad practice due to any number of potential consequences? Absolutely.
Us americans may not understand most of your building bits and codes and such, but we do know about trusses.

*no idea if LloydDobler is an american