Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The correct approach is to have communication be a part of it but you can only select from a list of possible messages. This could be on a wheel in combat, and for anything outside of combat like outfit recruitment or organizing it can be a more expansive Souls-like system. A well designed multiplayer game shouldn't have boxes for text input after the password.

Was Gundam Evolution the one where it feels like you're just a regular guy in a dumb suit because they just used bog standard shooter maps and told everybody to theater of the mind that these walls and ramps and boxes are like 10x bigger than they'd normally be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I love the callout menus in valve games

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

especially nice shot in tf2. you can use it to compliment your friends or taunt your foes when you kill them.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

voice chat is fun you nerds

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

tenderjerk posted:

wtf this barely made it a whole year, never get invested in online games, ever
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1681894805595631616?t=3juRbhAuv2uoftynbR3NIg&s=19
apparently another F2P Gundam game came out a couple months ago

it's sitting at a 19% positive rating on Steam

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

especially nice shot in tf2. you can use it to compliment your friends or taunt your foes when you kill them.

I have thanks bound to f in tf2 explicitly so I can let my teammates know I appreciate them

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I have thanks bound to f in tf2 explicitly so I can let my teammates know I appreciate them
literally F to pay respects, I love it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

:hai:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

i feel like an absolute dork trying to talk to video game characters on a screen.

lol everyone knows you're a little micshy nerd who wont let their blockman talk. don't you feel guilty when you see a enemy behind your friend but say nothing? how many lives could you have saved? corporal upham...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I had something in TF2 bound to left mouse so I was spamming it all the time

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Grey Fox posted:

quote:

This game shutting down is the players fault not BANDAI NAMCO
If all the active players promoted this game to their friends/social media and bought the DLC, season pass, and spent a minimum on $40 rolling for each gacha. This game would be in a healthy state and would not need to shutdown. This is 100% the players fault. They gave away too many freebies and people became cheap and greedy. Too many gundams were free and there should be a paywall for extra QoL features and game modes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Grey Fox posted:

it deserves it

they had a twitter campaign that was gonna give all the players some fun bucks

they didn't do it for 5 weeks since the people who run the twitter account never told the home office

then the home office decided to wait 4 weeks

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
all my gundams... free

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Grapplejack posted:

every game needs a Howdy button

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't play multi with voice basically at all anymore but back when I used to I never heard racial slurs, is that an American server thing or was I just lucky?

it's worse on american servers but pretty widespread in general depending on the game. I remember when PUBG first came out you were guaranteed to be deafened by 3-4 people yelling the n word in public voice chat in the pre round setup, but public locational voice chat added a lot to the game itself once you were actually in a round so I got in the habit of muting it pre-round then enabling it once on the ground

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also every callout should have a 1% chance of instead being the MEIN SOUFFLE clip from Futurama

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

on battlebits u don't want to spawn in at the beginning. u wait and watch to see which vehicle made it out of the traffic jam and spawn on them.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

last time I used voice chat I was using an insanely sensitive field recording mic setup so everybody could hear every tiny little sound in my apartment. open mic, chow down on chips, watch everybody freak out lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

this was pre asmr now the perverts would probably get off on it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't play multi with voice basically at all anymore but back when I used to I never heard racial slurs, is that an American server thing or was I just lucky?

every geographical server location has its own flavor of slurring. im not sure if you're in europe or what but they start out polite but get absolutely buck wild if you say some esoteric trigger word for their particular niche. americans will just kinda yell slurs. depends on the game.

melee combat ones like mordhau or chiv 2 now (sometimes bannerlord, though they do get banned) absolutely have a higher concentration of both slur yellers and very serious racists. they dont really play shooters. just all the melee first person games, any paradox game, and wargame red dragon or something like that. never seen anything quite similar in a counter-strike, battlefield, red orchestra or whatever game. not even arma has that kinda dude in any quantity. they love swords

Mr. Sharps posted:

last time I used voice chat I was using an insanely sensitive field recording mic setup so everybody could hear every tiny little sound in my apartment. open mic, chow down on chips, watch everybody freak out lol

you're evil

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lpzie posted:

on battlebits u don't want to spawn in at the beginning. u wait and watch to see which vehicle made it out of the traffic jam and spawn on them.

yeah figured out this neat trick too. let the pubbies draw the fronts!!!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
if you play battle bit but have not hosed with a drone it's extremely cool to just chill and watch the battle. unfortunately you will get gently caress all points for spotting. but it's fun to chase groups around and pretend you're a bomb drone but never bomb them. that causes irl tick damage from stress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

i dont begrudge people who mute all in every multiplayer game but also communication is like 80% of the fun of any multiplayer game. i dont understand it at all.

natural selection was my favorite multiplayer game of all time, primarily because of it's open communication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEfJf6pCvE 0:30 lol

ahh... simply, better, gaming times

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Xaris posted:

natural selection was my favorite multiplayer game of all time, primarily because of it's open communication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEfJf6pCvE

ahh... simply, better, gaming times

NS was so loving good. NS2... i played a bit but not much. Subnautica was good. Really wished it was a multiplayer assymetric team game with base building though. being a commander and doing a good job felt so good. there were a bunch of weird team based games back then that kind of didnt get replicated today and fostered good teamwork communication. project reality was good as heck too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
ns2 sucked so much rear end. flayra has the business acumen of a drunk manatee and hosed it up so bad

it was so much worse than ns1 for thousands of reasons

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol yeah i didnt want to come out of the gate with that but they hosed it all up!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Subnautica would be approximately 3 times better with a better inventory system, it’s the absolute pits and drags down the rest of the game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Subnautica would be approximately 3 times better with a better inventory system, it’s the absolute pits and drags down the rest of the game
the weirdest thing is they didn't improve it for subnautica 1.5. it still sucked!!

it was definitely not a game that really benefitted from Resident evil style inventory at all.

also i would have appreciated less bugs but i enjoyed it a lot. i was really surprised that flayra actually pulled it off because by all accounts it should have sucked rear end and flopped

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

below zero removing all the fun stuff from subnautica and instead making it a game that has like 20% land segments and a smaller less interesting underwater world makes it pretty clear NS and Subnautica were flukes and they are not capable of making a good game now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Frog Act posted:

below zero removing all the fun stuff from subnautica and instead making it a game that has like 20% land segments and a smaller less interesting underwater world makes it pretty clear NS and Subnautica were flukes and they are not capable of making a good game now

100%

ns1 worked because of a ton of free labor from community people and had an existing, well-tuned, half-life engine to build off directly that handles most of the back-end things. i wouldn't say it was a fluke. subnautica was absolutely a fluke

lol that they spent like 8 years and millions of dollars in angel investment money to build their much-vaulted "LUA Engine!" that they were hoping was going to become the next UE/Unity and license it out. and lol even they abandoned it immediately

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

they're right but gamers aren't ready to hear it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah that’s a good point if anything it’s a pretty interesting example of how the golden age of community driven mods just doesn’t translate into auteur composed indie games

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

In early NS i remember you could shoot the pistol as fast as you could click the mouse so people had scripts to just press it every millisecond or whatever and have a 10 round machinegun. pretty sure they "fixed" that

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
any shooter where there isnt a gun that you can bind shoot to scroll wheel is loving up.

Frog Act posted:

below zero was so weird. whoever made decisions on that did not understand what was good about subnautica. "hey a game about going deeper into the sea. lets uh, not go deep. let's be on land a lot. let's have some jump puzzles. our locomotion is best in class"

wonder how that happened

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

script or bind fire to mouse wheel up

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Xaris posted:

100%

ns1 worked because of a ton of free labor from community people and had an existing, well-tuned, half-life engine to build off directly that handles most of the back-end things. i wouldn't say it was a fluke. subnautica was absolutely a fluke

lol that they spent like 8 years and millions of dollars in angel investment money to build their much-vaulted "LUA Engine!" that they were hoping was going to become the next UE/Unity and license it out. and lol even they abandoned it immediately

never played NS1 but i had 100s of hours in NS2, it was unique and fun at the time

very funny to log in server and be the noob with only 400 hours since everyone else had 1000s of hours in the game

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
going on land the first time in Subnautica was cool because it came out of left field and felt like something special. then you get through that segment and you think “wow that sucked rear end glad I won’t have to go back there again”

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
or just use a macro. save your scroll wheel's life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Hatebag posted:

In early NS i remember you could shoot the pistol as fast as you could click the mouse so people had scripts to just press it every millisecond or whatever and have a 10 round machinegun. pretty sure they "fixed" that
they did fix it but it was still worth binding fire to mwheel or script it.

there's a lot of goldsrc engine 'exploits' that were around. bhop, strafe-jumping, air momentum knockback, wall-strafe running, reload cancel, lerk pancaking. or even messing around with ex_extrapmax and ex_interp. there was also a specific FPS multiplier that if you got (67? 75? i don't remember) that gave you an advantage as well). i forgot why that one worked.

one of my favorite random bugs is there was a slot 31 (32?) bug where the player in slot 31 had a lagging hitbox super far behind their model. no one believed it and was always hand-waved away as "git gud" but then oops it was a real thing. if you got to play skulk as slot 31 it was magical because you were almost invincible and could take out even the best players. the only time it was ever fun to play alien otherwise i was always a dirty marine stacker, i refused to play alien

e: one of the oldschool exploits was you could mess around with GL_TEXTURE_MIPMAP_NEAREST to blur map textures into 1 solid monocolor. funny thing is LOD Bias 'exploits' are still a thing in TYOOL 2023 but no one knows about them anymore except old school gamers. in BF5 you could also to a negative LOD Bias in Geforce Control Panel and smear all the textures into like an untextured game taking away all foliage/trees making it super OP to see people.

i havent played it but i'm guessing you can probably do it in Battlebits too fi you wanted. it's basically legal hacking with just a simple GPU setting change

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

God drat ns was a great game. So tense in the early part of the match because everyone is weak and racing to cap nodes and then by the end you've got guys flying around with jetpacks shooting grenade launchers at onoses . Admittedly some of the mechanics were a bit clunky but that game was so addictive it nearly ruined me