Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ace has conquerors and he was content playing third fiddle on the WB pirates.

I don't think leadership ambition is what its about.

I probably cut myself off too early when I was typing that out. Leadership isnt the only quality, but I do think its one that people who have Conquerers would tend to have. Almost every single one weve met in the story is at the top of thier organization. Boa, Luffy, Zoro, Don Chinjao, Shanks, Kaido, Garp, Big Mom. Im looking at a list and apparently none of the Admirals have used it on screen yet. Although I dont know if the WG would be crazy about the idea of having people who are so powerful (in battle as well as in willpower) that they tend to want to go thier own way serving under them. Garp already seems like a headache for them.

You know, now that I think about it, the type of person the WG wants to cultivate, loyal and unquestioning of authority, dont really seem like Conquerers candidates. I wonder if the Admirals even have it. Maybe thats why the WG had to do a world wide draft to get top tier talent.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

One Piece Manga Thread: The Hiatus is Over. Break Next Week.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, always forget Chinjao has conquerors........

If that guy has it honestly anyone could.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel like it is more about wanting to be on top of the world rather than just leadership was what I was getting at. The will/ambition to conquer the world. Zoro wants to conquer the world of swords, he desires nothing but the top. Ace was convinced to join Whitebeard, but before that he wanted to be the top too, and after he wants to make Whitebeard King of the Pirates.

Jinbe and Brook, don't really want to conquer the world, they want to protect others. An absolutely noble goal mind you, but their ambitions aren't high enough I think, and them being captains wasn't of that ambition, but of a sense of duty to others.

You can also have your ambitions shattered/changed, Conqueror is just having that level of ambition in the first place. Which not everyone does have, although some people can surprise you with it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Bug posted:

Depends on if you count the guy in Fishman Island.

The only for real fight in Fishman Island was Luffy v Gravity.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

No Wave posted:

Guys, haki is just willpower.

No, we must spend two pages arguing about power levels like reddit.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Doflamingo admiral tier or yonko general tier? The world needs to know

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hatty posted:

He's Tilting at Windmills tier.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo Sanji will develop CH but only for cooking since that's his passion, like he will glare at his ingredients and they will fall into line and taste better

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Circling back around to what made me start this, is Conquerers Haki something youre born with? Im inclined to say no, but its only accessible by people with immense strength and willpower, and the only sort of people who are going to get to that point are probably going to have a certain type of personality. So, I guess it sort of is.

Also, I dont really see a problem with the Great Man theory of history when youre in a world where individuals really can change world events with thier own strength.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Meme Emulator posted:

You know, now that I think about it, the type of person the WG wants to cultivate, loyal and unquestioning of authority, dont really seem like Conquerers candidates. I wonder if the Admirals even have it. Maybe thats why the WG had to do a world wide draft to get top tier talent.

Sengoku was an Admiral and he's got it. Garp refusing to be an Admiral still counts as WG grunts with it as well.

Also people are leaving out Rayleigh, who just wants to bum around and run a bar.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
honesty impact is in the top 10 attack names and spreads in one piece

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hatty posted:

Definitely the latter. Big mom's commanders gave Luffy more trouble than him, and luffy was stronger at that point.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone can have conqueror's haki - they just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, always forget Chinjao has conquerors........

If that guy has it honestly anyone could.

Chinjao used to be so strong that friggin' Garp, who trains by punching battleships, had to punch a buncha mountains to dust to take him out for good.

Peak Chinjao was probably a monster.

It's also Chinjao who points out there are a ton of peeps with Conqueror's at the top, which makes sense.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Listen, he still got beat in like one punch in that flashback.

Granted, of course there's no shame in losing to My Man Garp. But still, weak showing.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Listen, he still got beat in like one punch in that flashback.

Granted, of course there's no shame in losing to My Man Garp. But still, weak showing.

yeah but the implication is that Garp couldn't do that single punch without training specifically for it. so props to Chinjao for making ya boy work for it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it's a common cliche where fights between two strong dudes can be decided in a single move.

Like T-Bone vs Zoro.

Situation required Zoro to take down T-Bone in one go so the two settled their fight in a single strike.

Granted T-Bone was fuckin' exhausted from having to run on the sea rails and fight Sea Kings while doing so.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's like how Shanks seemed perfectly content to have a regular fight with Kidd and then the instant he realized Kidd was about to do massive collateral damage to Shank's friends he went "nope" and ended the fight as fast as possible.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Seeing Kuzan finally throwing down in a proper fight makes me wonder how his fight with Akainu actually went, and whether it was a legit fight or not. Of course, even if Kuzan did go all-out in that battle, a highly-motivated magma man is probably no pushover either.

Come to think of it, I have no idea what role Akainu is going to play in the endgame. The Gorosei and Imu have established themselves as physical as well as political threats, and Green Bull is taking over his role as the fascist lapdog of the World Government who is 200% on board with all the horrible things they do. I could see him eventually snapping if pushed too far, but it's going to take a lot more to get him to break with the World Government, and he doesn't seem inclined to team up with any of the other notable factions at the moment either.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kuzan joins the revolutionaries as a surrogate sibling for Dragon

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The only way I see Akainu turning on the WG is if the WG decides to sacrifice all the marines as acceptable collateral damage.

Say there’s a big Marineford 2.0 battle and the WG decides to nuke the site from orbit.
Or if the WG has a way to flood the world as a reset button.

It’s only when it affects himself that I can see him flipping on them, in all other circumstances he toes the line. It’s already standing operating procedure for the WG/marines to nuke entire islands/kingdoms if the acquire dangerous knowledge or are harbouring a dangerous individual and Akainu seems okay with this. There’s some friction between Akainu and the WG but it seemed like due to matters of strategy rather than conscience.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Akainu defeated by massive stress induced heart attack. Nobody attends his funeral.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Inadequately posted:

Seeing Kuzan finally throwing down in a proper fight makes me wonder how his fight with Akainu actually went, and whether it was a legit fight or not. Of course, even if Kuzan did go all-out in that battle, a highly-motivated magma man is probably no pushover either.

Come to think of it, I have no idea what role Akainu is going to play in the endgame. The Gorosei and Imu have established themselves as physical as well as political threats, and Green Bull is taking over his role as the fascist lapdog of the World Government who is 200% on board with all the horrible things they do. I could see him eventually snapping if pushed too far, but it's going to take a lot more to get him to break with the World Government, and he doesn't seem inclined to team up with any of the other notable factions at the moment either.

I feel like he's going to be a personal face for Luffy to deal with whenever all the Marines stuff goes down, before Koby etc join him against Imu.

Elite posted:

The only way I see Akainu turning on the WG is if the WG decides to sacrifice all the marines as acceptable collateral damage.

Say there’s a big Marineford 2.0 battle and the WG decides to nuke the site from orbit.

It’s only when it affects himself that I can see him flipping on them, in all other circumstances he toes the line. It’s already standing operating procedure for the WG/marines to nuke entire islands/kingdoms if the acquire dangerous knowledge or are harbouring a dangerous individual and Akainu seems okay with this. There’s some friction between Akainu and the WG but it seemed like due to matters of strategy rather than conscience.

Akainu is all in on making sure anyone even possibly close to being criminal is deterred from criminal action. His issues with the World Government are more to do with him finding the Celestial Dragons obnoxious and interruptive to the pursuit of absolute justice because they demand the Marines do things for them.

Basically he doesn't like listening to the World Nobles, but his actual ideals are more or less "criminals should all die".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Elite posted:

I can, theoretically, see him snapping at some point if he learned too much about the truer nature of the elders, Im, and the nobles in general and such; or was forced to overlook too many crimes and garbage behaviour. We've already seen him argue with the elders and he seemingly has a strict internal code even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat and he doesn't seem to like the elders or the nobles much even if he does their bidding. So I could see him turning on the government and taking his loyalist marines against them.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Akainu's gonna get his rear end kicked by Sabo while spouting his hierarchical devil fruit stuff to show that it really doesn't matter in the long run and further cement the utter failure that was Portgas D. Ace.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'll admit I always liked that Oda said that if Akainu would be willing to put in the effort/care in general to find One Piece, he would find it quicker than any other major player. He just doesn't give a gently caress and has no desire to see it. Perfectly anti-Luffy!

Still stuns me that he said the Magma fruit is the most offensively powerful fruit when Pika fruit is around, but meh.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm pretty confident he already knows what it is. I think everyone does except luffy at this point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Haki is willpower. Conqueror's Haki is the willpower to conquer. While that can manifest itself in the form of leading people into conquering a goal, conquering is a pretty vague enough thing that it just expresses itself as someone who has an otherworldly drive towards a goal they are conquering.

Ace stopped being a leader, yes, but his goal was burying the most infamous man in history, Gol D. Roger. While he initially set out to do it himself, when he got beaten up and adopted by Whitebeard he saw a path towards making Whitebeard -- a better man than Roger in Ace's eyes -- the man who could eclipse Roger. It wasn't necessarily about Ace doing it, but about getting it done at all.

Zoro isn't a leader of any scope, but he obviously wants to conquer all other swordsmen. Straight forward.

Conqueror's Haki is about drive towards a goal. Even if you falter or fail, even if you aren't the leader of whatever organization you find yourself in. If you have an unbelievably strong willpower to accomplish something, it can manifest. It explains why Big Mom, normally near invincible, can be brought low by a picture being shattered and her will and resolve crumbling. She actively gets weaker when her will is shaken.

Heck, it doesn't even seem to need to be a static goal. Kaido apparently wanted to be Joyboy, but once he realized he couldn't be, he just wanted to find someone who could beat him (kill him) because that person could only be Joyboy. Changed his goal, but still had plenty of Conquering juice in that body.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh, I think “Conquerer” is just how it’s translated and it’s literally more like “Ruler”

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Akainu knows or cares about what the true nature of the One Piece is, beyond the fact that it'll massively destabilize the world order when found, which is reason enough to not want it found. He might know the fact that it's something which would be highly embarrassing to the World Government, but he's not the type to look into it any further than that.

As far as the world at large knows, One Piece is 'just' all of Roger's treasure, located on an island that's nearly impossible to reach, and whoever finds it will become the new Pirate King. I don't think there's been any indication that anyone outside of Roger's crew or those closely affiliated with them know that there's anything more to it than that.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

why do you all think coby has conquerors haki? he did a big punch. not like he glared at the pirates and they passed out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f1rInjq6tM

Wonder if we might see some Live Action + sneak peak at Gear 5 :nyoron:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Without taking anything from the latest spoilers into account:

1) Coby has been repeatedly gussied up as representing 'the future of the Marines'
2) In order to represent 'the future of the Marines', which is ultimately a military/law enforcement/peacekeeping organisation in a shounen manga setting, you need to be top tier.
3) In the world of One Piece, you need Conqueror Haki to be top tier, at least from everything we've seen so far.

Therefore, Coby either has or will develop Conqueror Haki as a natural course of his character progression.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He had the lightning fist thing which has been associated with Conqueror's Haki in the past.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, i wondered why the gently caress people thought Coby just doing a Zoro-level flex meant he had Supreme King Haki until I reread the chapter, and yeah he has the lightning bolts coming out of his hand as he winds up.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

The wording here draws an interesting parallel between the King of the Pirates title and Imu, except obviously Imu is not recognized by the Celestial Dragons outside of the Five Elder Stars

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elite posted:

Nah, he would be fine burning the Marines to the ground for "Justice". Flipping him is actually relatively easy though, you just have to convince him that the WG are the baddies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TGG posted:

I'll admit I always liked that Oda said that if Akainu would be willing to put in the effort/care in general to find One Piece, he would find it quicker than any other major player. He just doesn't give a gently caress and has no desire to see it. Perfectly anti-Luffy!

Still stuns me that he said the Magma fruit is the most offensively powerful fruit when Pika fruit is around, but meh.

Having a fruit that lets you basically create new islands is very convenient for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Akainu is all in on making sure anyone even possibly close to being criminal is deterred from criminal action. His issues with the World Government are more to do with him finding the Celestial Dragons obnoxious and interruptive to the pursuit of absolute justice because they demand the Marines do things for them.

Basically he doesn't like listening to the World Nobles, but his actual ideals are more or less "criminals should all die".

Nuebot posted:

I can, theoretically, see him snapping at some point if he learned too much about the truer nature of the elders, Im, and the nobles in general and such; or was forced to overlook too many crimes and garbage behaviour. We've already seen him argue with the elders and he seemingly has a strict internal code even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat and he doesn't seem to like the elders or the nobles much even if he does their bidding. So I could see him turning on the government and taking his loyalist marines against them.

Agree that Akainu’s code is basically “all criminals must die”.

But the WG are the ones that decide who is a criminal, which they can do for petty and arbitrary reasons. And Akainu just goes along with it whenever that happens. When the WG decides to wipe a kingdom off the map on a flimsy pretext then Akainu doesn’t even blink.

Akainu already knows how bad the WG is, and no matter how much he believes in his own sense of justice it’s pretty clear that theirs is bullshit and he gets stuck doing what they want. There’s no dark secret he could learn and no order he could receive that would really change things.

So that’s why I think only injustice that affected him personally would change things.

Okay I guess there’s one more possibility - if say the WG decided to pardon Blackbeard and formally appoint him as a marine Admiral then that might be enough to make Akainu snap. I don’t think there’s any threshold of collateral damage to innocent bystanders that would flip Akainu, but being forced to let insanely guilty men go free just might do it.