Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheKingofSprings posted:

Good lord did a bunch of you think Ted Bundy was kawaii or something

I mean...that WAS a thing as disturbing and morbid as it was.

Nessus posted:

Ted Bundy was not yuri

It actually kind of bothers me that the whole arc feels like it's carried entirely by yuri shipping and nothing else in terms of actual substance or quality. Like I KNOW what Horikoshi is going for, but it lands so badly flat given how little remorse or reflection Toga has shown for her actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheHan posted:

i dunno kinda sucks to quietly sweep the deviants under the rug after all that crap about being able to save the most horrible people. guess the writer can’t imagine that better world after all.

The resolution to the mutant racism subplot was Spinner turning into a brainless flesh golem and...dying? being maimed? before all of the angry mutants bashfully looked at their feet before dispersing and going home because tentacle boy yelled at them that racism is over now, so this should be the least surprising thing in the world.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 22, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sounds like the plot to an isekai.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheKingofSprings posted:

User AV/post combo.

I mean it would be nice if they didn't shift the burden of Toga dying on to Ochako. or letting the one kid in the crew actually survive and get better.

Feels like we're racing towards and all the really bad people died the others are in jail so yay the day is saved.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018284
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-395/chapter/39812?action=read

I hope that she's actually dead. I don't care if it's an indictment on the Heroes inability to actually help people left behind by society. All these subplots are an indictment on Horikoshi's inablilty to write about "real issues" in a compelling way.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Feels like we're racing towards and all the really bad people died the others are in jail so yay the day is saved.

I mean, they can only win, die, be put in jail or have a change of heart, at least this point. what else did you expect to happen? That they escape and plot their revenge for the next arc?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

oh jay posted:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018284
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-395/chapter/39812?action=read

I hope that she's actually dead. I don't care if it's an indictment on the Heroes inability to actually help people left behind by society. All these subplots are an indictment on Horikoshi's inablilty to write about "real issues" in a compelling way.

I'm curious about that last part. What would you say are the issues and which arcs?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1685645098024132609

Toga's birthday is next week, and happy anniversary to Bakugo too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RIP Bozo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A fourth movie is going to be announced I guess.

I have no idea where you can put it in the timeline since all of the movies are canonized as far as I know. The first and second movies are *directly* referenced in the manga and contribute to the plot even.

You could:
-Shove it in where the 3rd movie is? The couple of months before the war.
-Place it in the BatDeku time period since that's like 2-3 weeks and the manga completely glosses over it, almost intentionally. The manga also doesn't really account for a big bulk of the Tatarus escapees, so there's your mook squad.
-Just say gently caress it and do something non-canon
-Do some weird Spiderverse thing where you can just reality-bend your way back to the status quo at the end and be like "yeah man, that totally happened canonically"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

A fourth movie is going to be announced I guess.

I have no idea where you can put it in the timeline since all of the movies are canonized as far as I know. The first and second movies are *directly* referenced in the manga and contribute to the plot even.

You could:
-Shove it in where the 3rd movie is? The couple of months before the war.
-Place it in the BatDeku time period since that's like 2-3 weeks and the manga completely glosses over it, almost intentionally. The manga also doesn't really account for a big bulk of the Tatarus escapees, so there's your mook squad.
-Do some weird Spiderverse thing where you can just reality-bend your way back to the status quo at the end and be like "yeah man, that totally happened canonically"

Wait, what? Got a source for this?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

Wait, what? Got a source for this?
The usual Weekly Jump leaks. Confirmed via actual shots of the magazine pages where it's announced.

Fake edit since I had to google up someone with the leaked pages: This account leaks pages/plot spoilers so maybe avoid clicking through completely.

https://twitter.com/RukasuMHA/status/1686602172115349504?s=20

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I don't get why series never do this. Just do a movie about that crazy fantasy cover story or the quirk-switched cast where Kirishima got OfA and Momo has Explosion. Or a movie where Deku never got OfA at all and All Might died in the USJ incident. Go nuts with it, you can do literally anything.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I don't get why series never do this. Just do a movie about that crazy fantasy cover story or the quirk-switched cast where Kirishima got OfA and Momo has Explosion. Or a movie where Deku never got OfA at all and All Might died in the USJ incident. Go nuts with it, you can do literally anything.

Series do this all the loving time, though. Movies are non-canon the overwhelming majority of the time.
They're also absolute garbage the overwhelming majority of the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The usual Weekly Jump leaks. Confirmed via actual shots of the magazine pages where it's announced.

Fake edit since I had to google up someone with the leaked pages: This account leaks pages/plot spoilers so maybe avoid clicking through completely.

https://twitter.com/RukasuMHA/status/1686602172115349504?s=20

Ah. Yeah, I’ll be curious how they manage to fit a 4th movie into the current canon as well (though they could always just have it take place earlier in the series as well or better yet, just ignore canon altogether)

I can’t read Japanese and didn’t really see anything of note in the first few comments but do we know anything about the film yet other than it’s coming at this point?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 2, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mymla posted:

Series do this all the loving time, though. Movies are non-canon the overwhelming majority of the time.
They're also absolute garbage the overwhelming majority of the time.

The ones I know about don't do what I mentioned, they just have the characters go to some made up location in the world and have a lovely adventure that can't be integrated into the real plot. Like the Naruto movies where they go to the Land of X and fight the Filler Ninja's or the Strawhats fighting a guy made of gold or something.

There's never a movie about Nami eating the Gum Gum Fruit and kicking Arlongs rear end and if there is why have I never heard of it???!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Here's an idea, a movie all about the life of All Might leading up to him caving in All For One's head the first time. We've seen bits and pieces, but the series has never really delved too deep into his past, and it doesn't seem like the manga will get a chance to do it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
A movie billed as being about Eraserhead and Midnight before joining UA, but it ends up it's a Vigilantes movie about the Battle of Naruhata.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Here's an idea, a movie all about the life of All Might leading up to him caving in All For One's head the first time. We've seen bits and pieces, but the series has never really delved too deep into his past, and it doesn't seem like the manga will get a chance to do it.

That sounds better than the glorified filler of the first 3 movies.

SpacePig posted:

A movie billed as being about Eraserhead and Midnight before joining UA, but it ends up it's a Vigilantes movie about the Battle of Naruhata.

Vigilantes is already getting an anime.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nephthys posted:

The ones I know about don't do what I mentioned, they just have the characters go to some made up location in the world and have a lovely adventure that can't be integrated into the real plot. Like the Naruto movies where they go to the Land of X and fight the Filler Ninja's or the Strawhats fighting a guy made of gold or something.

There's never a movie about Nami eating the Gum Gum Fruit and kicking Arlongs rear end and if there is why have I never heard of it???!

Sounds like the question is more "why don't anime movies do AU type stories?" and yeah sure there's potential there, but they'd almost certainly be just as bad as the godawful slop anime movies have been historically. MHA's movies are probably the best in the genre by virtue of being "kinda decent" as opposed to "god drat what is this poo poo".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Nephthys posted:

Vigilantes is already getting an anime.

It can have both.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bakugo Isekai

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Needs to end right before the big bad is taken down, waking up in the middle of Deku and Shiggy's fight

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It would be really easy to make a movie about a kid who's quirk is to send everyone to the Digital World or something.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
the manga barely touched on punished deku, bet they’ll do a movie during that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just feel like a series that specifically takes a lot of aesthetic cues from western superhero comics would be ripe for a What If movie

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

There are definitely a bunch of fun What If? scenarios they could do.

What if One for All was passed to Mirio?
What if All Might got murdered at USJ?
What if All For One and scientist dude successfully kidnapped Aizawa instead of Shirakumo?
What if Hawks truly befriended and reformed Twice instead of killing him?

(I guess that last one would just be an instant win for the heroes.)

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 3, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The big one you could do I think (which might make people complain about the main series) is the original concept of MHA where Midoriya was supposed to remain quirkless and looked a bit more emo. Uraraka was supposed to have Mt. Lady's quirk, and Bakugou wasn't a jerk but instead was a hypertalented nice guy who inadvertently insulted people because of those combination of traits (Hori specifically said this version of Bakugou just made him angry).

In the original universe Midoriya's hero costume concept looked more gremlin-like and was called "Fiend Kid", and he was basically just stuck with a stun gun (which quirkless people are specifically allowed to legally use to defend themselves) and gadgets.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Awesomesaurus posted:

There are definitely a bunch of fun What If? scenarios they could do.

What if One for All was passed to Mirio?
What if All Might got murdered at USJ?
What if All For One and scientist dude successfully kidnapped Aizawa instead of Shirakumo?
What if Hawks truly befriended and reformed Twice instead of killing him?

(I guess that last one would just be an instant win for the heroes.)

You could even tie it into being feasibly canon by having them be experienced through like a bad guy's power, like the one Naruto movie where he was transported into an AU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*grinchy grin* villain deku movie

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

The big one you could do I think (which might make people complain about the main series) is the original concept of MHA where Midoriya was supposed to remain quirkless and looked a bit more emo. Uraraka was supposed to have Mt. Lady's quirk, and Bakugou wasn't a jerk but instead was a hypertalented nice guy who inadvertently insulted people because of those combination of traits (Hori specifically said this version of Bakugou just made him angry).

In the original universe Midoriya's hero costume concept looked more gremlin-like and was called "Fiend Kid", and he was basically just stuck with a stun gun (which quirkless people are specifically allowed to legally use to defend themselves) and gadgets.

That sounds awesome actually.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What the hell is this supposed to mean?

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1686962686427369473?t=Ha06Tc_BNtim9rvtu_Tmcg&s=19

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Sounds to me like it's what you described earlier. The characters as the were in the original concept, and having the same encounters as in the story proper.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sounds like it might be based on his original, pre-serialization plans for the characters?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SpacePig posted:

Sounds to me like it's what you described earlier. The characters as the were in the original concept, and having the same encounters as in the story proper.
The "same timeline" thing is what confuses me.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ezra Miller is not content to destroy just one reality. They'll have them all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fabricated posted:

The "same timeline" thing is what confuses me.

The events around the characters will still be the same, All Might will still have fought All for One, the Slime monster will still attack, All for One will still have done the Shigaraki plan etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it sort of sounds like a “What If?” style AU movie that uses the original concept ideas for the characters while still retaining a lot of the story bits from the main timeline. Which if true could actually be kind of cool provided it’s handled right.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The concept certainly sounds neat, I hope they get weird with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm guessing the "Collapsed Society" thing is because of the different end result of Kamino in this timeline compared to the original.