Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ben Nevis posted:

Thinking through The Formula, is there a non-citrus sour option? Pineapple Juice? Passionfruit? Some other thing?

Passionfruit is pretty sour. I haven't gotten an actual passionfruit, but I got these frozen passionfruit cubes and they're quite tart. When I yeet a few into something I drop the citrus, I imagine it'd work as a full replacement. Pineapple juice is too sweet.

E: First contribution to everyone's Greg Project:

Plantation pineapple
Giffard Banane du Bresil
Lime
Amaro di Angostura

Delicious.

E2:

Tequila Ocho blanco
Lime
Benedictine
Disarrono

Good but a bit sweet. Not sure if I underestimated the sweetness of Benedictine or because the only amaretto I have is Disarrono.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Just did the Last Latitude from that video, and yyyyup it's pretty excellent. Seems like the flavor keeps rotating around from one thing to another without settling on a single cohesive blend. It's very thought-provoking

Dark rum (I used Barbancourt)
Lime
Allspice dram
Fernet-Branca
a little simple
mint optional

It's not real pretty but that's okay

Just made this for my partner who's a branca head, and she really loved it. Did run out of limes so used lemons, still works a treat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Three for three tonight.

Smith & Cross
Lemon
Coffee liqueur but much much less sweet than Kahlua
Creme de cacao

May be the ugliest cocktail I've ever had, it looks like poop water but it slaps.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

Three for three tonight.

Smith & Cross
Lemon
Coffee liqueur but much much less sweet than Kahlua
Creme de cacao

May be the ugliest cocktail I've ever had, it looks like poop water but it slaps.

"Diarrhea"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"Creme de Peu"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Eau de toilet

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
man loving this Formula talk. This is just about the most joyous thing I've read in this thread, basically everything works with it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Let's see if you still say that after my monstrosity, the "My word!"

- 1oz Roku gin
- 1oz Creme de Violette
- 1oz "Absinthe mix" (1 part absinthe, 1 part rich simple, 2 parts water)
- 1oz lime juice

The absinthe gets a little lost, if you can believe it, between the Violette and the lime. I like it, but I might have terrible taste.

Okay, I lied. The absinthe is very present, but the Violette and lime definitely hold their own.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 22, 2023

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Going to make this tonight...

Coffee Negroni
0.75 oz Mr Black Coffee Liqueur
0.75 oz Gin
0.5 oz Campari
0.33 oz Sweet Vermouth

Maybe a dash of orange bitters.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've taken to adding a couple of dark-roasted coffee beans into the mixing glass when I'm making negronis, which has been a great addition. Adds a nice coffee note without being obvious about it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i don't have coffee liqueur but we just got a nespresso machine and i want to find some good drinks to incorporate that into!

a little bit of amaro in a double espresso is real real nice too

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i don't have coffee liqueur but we just got a nespresso machine and i want to find some good drinks to incorporate that into!

The toilet?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:thumbsup:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

a little bit of amaro in a double espresso is real real nice too

If you're able to find Mr. Black, is really good stuff. It tastes like a Vietnamese coffee. St. George Nola coffee liquor is good too. I've had their single origin stuff and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference to me.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Any good cocktail bars in Seattle? I’m visiting for a few days next month.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

"I think ive stumbled upon a thing that has been written about extensively for the last decade" is one of my chief beefs with youtube cocktail types like H2D. He could've just given credit to the people who actually popularized the format

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Rum chat! Saw Mt Gay Eclipse at Trader Joe's today for $20, no idea if that's good rum for the price though. Thoughts?

It's a perfectly fine all-purpose rum but even for $20 there's a lot more interesting bottles out there.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Booties posted:

I’ve been to Canon, it was very cool

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

It's a perfectly fine all-purpose rum but even for $20 there's a lot more interesting bottles out there.

I agree. One of the best things about rum is how cheap it is for the quality. I think Plantation 5 Year is probably the best option in the all-purpose rum category and it's only a little more expensive, I think $25.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Booties posted:

Down Tacoma way there’s a top notch tiki bar, Devil’s Reef at 706 Court C, Tacoma, WA 98402. Its sister bar specializes in gin drinks, Gilman House at 12 N Tacoma Ave, Tacoma, WA 98403. Both are Lovecraft themed and not in the racist way.

Nearby is the McMenamin’s Elks Temple, a converted Elks lodge that is now a hotel with a music venue, multiple bars (including a hidden bar, the Vault), a small brewery, and bottle shop inside. My favorite is the Old Hangout bar downstairs, another tiki bar. 565 Broadway, Tacoma, WA 98402.

There’s also a mid-century themed bar called the Boom Boom Room, which has great classic cocktails, 3016 6th Ave, Tacoma, WA 98406.

The Lobster Shop is a restaurant on the waterfront but it’s bar has my favorite cocktail out of anywhere in town - The Usual, an Old Fashioned riff. The food is good too. 4015 Ruston Way, Tacoma, WA 98402.

Bar Rosa has the best amaro selection in town and great cocktails. Plus a pizza oven that makes some strange but delicious pies. 1202 S 11th St, Tacoma, WA 98405.

Finally, a classic pub that shows soccer matches, has typical beers on tap and a huge whiskey selection, Doyle’s Pub at 208 St Helens Ave, Tacoma, WA 98402. Never had any cocktails there though.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 22, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat i think that's the best argument I've ever seen to visit Tacoma

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit, I was just there, and I missed this post

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Guess I'll keep posting my Last Word fuckabouts since I'm doing that tonight too.

Plantation 3 star
Lime plus a little lemon since the lime didn't fill it up
Creme de cassis
Chartreuse

Solid. The rum disappears, but I only had an ounce in the bottle and needed to kill it. I bet a rye would be good instead.

E: This one's a real winner, going to remember it

Rye
Lemon
Benedictine
St Germain

E2:

Calvados
Banane du Bresil
Lemon
Yellow chartreuse

Good but the banana isn't doing anything, this was another instance of me having one ounce in a bottle so I went for it. It's on the sweet side, a dryer liqueur instead of the banane would be better.

Still, cool way to riff. Six drinks and all were at least decent. Some definitely better than others but no trash.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 23, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here's one I did, similar to the Last Nail:

Peated scotch
Lemon
Drambuie
Becherovka

Very nice! Think it could do with a bit less citrus actually.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’m a little tipsy and haven’t made this one, but my brain thinks it might work: mezcal, Benedictine, port wine, lemon

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Wow thanks for that list. I’m actually staying in Tacoma for two days so I have a lot to do now!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is this a drink or did I invent something awesome?

.5 lime
.5 oj
1 banana liqueur
1 apricot liqueur
1 passionfruit syrup
1 pineapple rum

Cuz wow! Tasty. Works out to about as much alcohol as most drinks. Just over 2 oz @ 40%.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

On the advice of my favourite bartender, I used them in an Alaska variant — Mezcal, Strega, and the bitters. It was delicious, highly recommended.
From last page, but this is a great cocktail, and everyone should get way more bitters from Crude. They do great bitters.

My top three:
  • Big Bear is a loving fantastic replacement in any kind of old fashioned, the cocoa and coffee both jump the gently caress out without being as in-your-face as an a coffee liqueur.
  • Rizzo was built to be in anything with gin, or anything with Cynar, or anything with Strega, or even anything with Averna. It's such a good savory addition.
  • No No adds more pepper flavor than it does heat, although it adds both - I basically grab it every other time I'm touching Mezcal, they're tied together in my mind.
Honorable non-Crude bitters mentions go to these oak bitters and their sibling sumac bitters, which I use about as often as I do angostura. I pretty much always have these five on hand, even more so than I do liquors to put them in. I'm building a kegerator just to have endless seltzer to put bitters in. I fuckin' love bitters.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Booties posted:

Really enjoyed the drinks I had at Hidden Passage, it’s a secret tiki bar in the back of another bar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Wungus posted:

I'm building a kegerator just to have endless seltzer to put bitters in. I fuckin' love bitters.
Is there a term of art for putting more bitters in a cocktail than is usually used? I don't do it for everything, but for a lot of "traditional" cocktails I like really leaning on the bitters. I don't do a lot of Old Fashioneds, but the Sazerac is one of my go-tos, and when I make a Sazerac I use a lot of Peychaud's.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it's called taking your cocktail to flavortown

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

SubG posted:

Is there a term of art for putting more bitters in a cocktail than is usually used?
”Trinidad Sour”

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

”Trinidad Sour”

:yeah: Or if you like orange bitters, the Calvados Cocktail.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SubG posted:

Is there a term of art for putting more bitters in a cocktail than is usually used?
"making a really good choice that is so wise and sexy"

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Wungus posted:

From last page, but this is a great cocktail, and everyone should get way more bitters from Crude. They do great bitters.

My top three:
  • Big Bear is a loving fantastic replacement in any kind of old fashioned, the cocoa and coffee both jump the gently caress out without being as in-your-face as an a coffee liqueur.
  • Rizzo was built to be in anything with gin, or anything with Cynar, or anything with Strega, or even anything with Averna. It's such a good savory addition.
  • No No adds more pepper flavor than it does heat, although it adds both - I basically grab it every other time I'm touching Mezcal, they're tied together in my mind.
Honorable non-Crude bitters mentions go to these oak bitters and their sibling sumac bitters, which I use about as often as I do angostura. I pretty much always have these five on hand, even more so than I do liquors to put them in. I'm building a kegerator just to have endless seltzer to put bitters in. I fuckin' love bitters.

Seconding Rizzo. I really like Pooter - smoke and salt - also.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bitters hot take: I got the Hella 5-pack and am slightly underwhelmed. They're good! But angostura's aromatic/orange/chocolate are just better. IMO anyway.

The Ginger bitters I'm not really sure what to do with since I have ginger syrup and ginger beer, and the chili bitters seem interesting but I don't drink mezcal (yet)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you didn't get the Hella Apple Blossom you're missing out on the best bitters in the Hella line.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Booties posted:

My personal favorites:
  • canon
  • Navy Strength
  • Rumba
  • Corvus and Co

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Booties posted:

I dunno what the locals think about it, but when I visited Seattle I liked Von's, possibly because they served decent burgers and it was close to my hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grand Fromage posted:

Tequila Ocho blanco
Lime
Benedictine
Disarrono

Good but a bit sweet. Not sure if I underestimated the sweetness of Benedictine or because the only amaretto I have is Disarrono.

I find benedictine to be more of a sweet than herbal component, and amarettos are basically sugar water with almond (cherry) flavor. So yeah that's gonna be sweet. I guess that goes to a kinda weakness of the formula, it's kinda hard to define sweet vs herbal sometimes, since herbals still typically have a fair bit of sugar. Like if I use galliano, I'd probably aim for a less-sweet sweet liquor or lime juice instead of lemon if I wanted to stick to equal parts.

I tried a last latitude with all the ingredients listed and it was okay, but not mind-blowing the way Greg made it sound.

I have a ton of creme de Violette I'm not using for anything, so any recipes that work well with a full ounce of that poo poo are highly welcome!