Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

guppy posted:

I recently bought this cookbook: Healthy South Indian Cooking

I have a bit of experience cooking Indian food, but not a lot. I'm attempting to source some of the ingredients, most of which I could buy at Wegmans but not all. (I was pretty pumped to find asafoetida powder there, I didn't think they'd have that.) Two things I couldn't find: urad dal and unsweetened coconut powder.

The book refers you to the author's website for guidance on ingredient sourcing; that information must be outdated, because I don't see it on the site. I'm a bit unclear on what I'm even looking for, for the urad dal; it was described, I believe, as black lentils. Googling it identifies it as vigna mungo, but some of the pictures show a pale, off-white lentil, and some of them show black ones. (I think one is split and one isn't? If so, which am I looking for? Hard to answer, I suppose, there are probably different uses for each.)

For the unsweetened coconut powder, is that the same as "coconut milk powder"?

For urad dal I think the application changes for the 3 different kinds: unhulled, whole but hulled, and split. Respectively: urad, urad gota, urad dal.

Unhulled urad is used for stuff like dal makhani where it's cooked whole in a savory broth.

Whole hulled urad is used primarily for south Indian fermented batters like dosa, idli, uttapam etc.

Urad dal is used when it's toasted as a spice, for example sambar powder. Not sure if it's used much like masoor dal (the common red lentil we westerners are used to), but it wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have a very basic, quick, mild Tex-mex red enchilada sauce recipe? I’ve been using El Paso from the can because I’m lazy af, but it’s a major sodium bomb and I’d love to be able to get the good flavors without all the salt.

What I tend to do is rather boring: basically just chilis in broth, thickened with a toasty roux, and a bit of tomato to taste.

My notes have this:

1L of liquid (stock or just use better than bouillon like I always do)
42g dry chilis (weighed after seeding), cleaned, and lightly toasted (this will depend on your preference. I usually use guajillo and pasilla. Unfortunately spiciness is pretty random, sometimes you get mild guajillos and sometimes you get spicy pasillas.)
3 tbsp butter/flour for roux.
200g tomato sauce. Could probably sub in some amount of tomato paste to taste.

Make the roux and cook it to a bit beyond blond. I like the nice nuttiness that it adds and it won't really thicken it that much. IMO it's a bit gringo-ish to do a roux, I think more traditional may be just more chilis to make it thick. IME the roux can temper the spiciness a little bit too. Add liquid and let it thicken. Toast the chilis briefly, then add to the liquid and simmer for a while until they're softened. Blend the poo poo out of it, then simmer a bit more until you feel like it's done.

For chili amount it kinda depends on your taste. If I had pretty mild chilis I'd go more for sure, but since my wife doesn't like really spicy food I tend to do about what I wrote. Chilis can be a bit bitter, but once you add the toastiness from the roux, the savoriness from the broth, get the salt right, and a little sweetness/sourness from the tomato it doesn't taste that bitter. It'll taste even less bitter once it's cooking on the enchiladas too.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 18, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks that’s all very helpful! I guess I had no idea what enchilada sauce really was, now that’s in my brain as ‘spiced tomato gravy’ it makes all kinds of sense.

As an aside, I see the Chef John recipe calls for ‘1/2tsp of Chipotle.’ What does that mean? Chipotle powder? Chipotles in adobo? I’ve never seen chipotle powder in the store but I guess I’ve also never really looked.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It’s gotta be dried chipotle chilis, I don’t think 1/2 tsp of the adobo stuff would do much.

IMO what sets enchilada sauce apart from other Tex mex red sauces is the chilis. Like when I went to the standard Tex mex restaurants growing up you’d get burritos with a tomato heavy sauce and enchiladas with a chili-heavy sauce. So to me I usually associate it as a chili gravy kinda. But for something as nebulous as Tex mex there’s room for more tomatoey interpretations IMO, just follow your heart and do what tastes right.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

guppy posted:

The book refers you to the author's website for guidance on ingredient sourcing; that information must be outdated, because I don't see it on the site. I'm a bit unclear on what I'm even looking for, for the urad dal; it was described, I believe, as black lentils. Googling it identifies it as vigna mungo, but some of the pictures show a pale, off-white lentil, and some of them show black ones. (I think one is split and one isn't? If so, which am I looking for? Hard to answer, I suppose, there are probably different uses for each.)

For the unsweetened coconut powder, is that the same as "coconut milk powder"?
You'll want to mail-order from an Indian grocery. I use IShopIndian.com. Bonus: you can use the original names he uses in the books, rather than the Englishification.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks that’s all very helpful! I guess I had no idea what enchilada sauce really was, now that’s in my brain as ‘spiced tomato gravy’ it makes all kinds of sense.

As an aside, I see the Chef John recipe calls for ‘1/2tsp of Chipotle.’ What does that mean? Chipotle powder? Chipotles in adobo? I’ve never seen chipotle powder in the store but I guess I’ve also never really looked.

It won't be nearly as good obviously, but if you're really aiming for simplicity you could cut the Chef John recipe down to just the butter, flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, tomato paste, and chicken broth and make a perfectly fine enchilada sauce.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 18, 2023

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Chipotles are dried and smoked jalapenos. You can buy them powdered as chipotle powder. You can use a paprika if you have it, add a lil more chili powder, or just skip it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I bought a fairly cheap, small, Aroma brand rice cooker maybe a year ago and it already died. It won't turn on at all, tried a couple troubleshooting steps, nothing.

Can anyone recommend a good small one to replace? It's only going to have to maybe make 4 servings of rice at a time, usually 2. It doesn't have to do anything else, though I understand most rice cookers will also steam.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I bought a fairly cheap, small, Aroma brand rice cooker maybe a year ago and it already died. It won't turn on at all, tried a couple troubleshooting steps, nothing.

Can anyone recommend a good small one to replace? It's only going to have to maybe make 4 servings of rice at a time, usually 2. It doesn't have to do anything else, though I understand most rice cookers will also steam.

I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NHS-06-3-Cup-Uncooked-Cooker/dp/B00004S575

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CzarChasm posted:

I've had one of these for about ~7 years now? On sale for $usd 70:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Uncooked-One-Touch-Cooking-Porridge/dp/B008C9UCH2?th=1

Will do a single 180ml cup, no problem. It does have a problem with condensation collecting in the depressions surrounding the bowl, though. Rice, dal, a bunch of ingredients at once, it'll do it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CzarChasm posted:

Get a Zojirushi

I have had one for over a decade, and I make rice maybe 4 meals a week. And over that time, not a single issue. Zero overcooked grains, zero undercooked, even with too much/little water, forgotten and left it soak, no and I've let it run hours over and the rice is still good. I've eaten 24-hour-old rice in this thing and you couldn't tell it from fresh.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-uncooked-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG

You can make other grains and poo poo in it if you want too, I've done quinoa, bulgur, barley, etc.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If I cook chicken in a pan and then deglaze with chicken broth garlic and thyme to make a simple pan sauce, would it make it better to add in some demi glace, or would that be better reserved for beef kinda things and red wine sauces etc?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kwolok posted:

If I cook chicken in a pan and then deglaze with chicken broth garlic and thyme to make a simple pan sauce, would it make it better to add in some demi glace, or would that be better reserved for beef kinda things and red wine sauces etc?
Demiglace is going to overpower the chicken and thyme.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

Deglaze w/ alcohol of choice after giving the garlic a chance to cook out a little, then add stock to your desired consistency. If you want more body, add roux, beurre manie, cornstarch, etc.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am looking for a particular dried beef product and I want to buy it online in the UK.

This is it - I can get it from Selfridges where it's called chill dried beef, it comes in sticks longer than this (I've snipped them to fit into a container). It's not like any Jerky I've had - this is spiced differently and seems to be cut along the grain not against it. It's not like any biltong I've had, which has been softer. This is really rigid and chewy, lean, and pretty spicy.

All the things I've found online are what you'd expect from jerky or biltong. Is there anything else I should be looking for? It's just not convenient for me to travel so far to buy it in a physical store.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Lord Bude posted:

Dino is a chef from memory? I’d expect nothing less.

I was for six or seven years. But then the pay was trash, so I left. The restaurant was definitely organised, but that's also because they didn't have a *ton* of spices. They had a few that they'd use, and that'd be that. Your typical Indian pantry will have a bit of a wider range than a New American restaurant. I could knock up a curry or something for a special, but it was using pre-ground blends. They were from Frontier, where the quality is pretty decent, and we went right through the stuff so it was always fresh, but it's still not the same as using whole spices which I'm used to.

To be honest, the organisation is echoes from growing up in a hoarder house (both parents pretty severe hoarders), moving out on my own, and being food insecure (because restaurant pay is garbage). I couldn't swing the cost of spices in my local area, nor the big spice market in Manhattan. So it meant that I'd need to make the freaking 2 hours schlep to Queens from Washington Heights every few months, grab enough spices to last me, and then VERY carefully make sure that I knew exactly where my backup spices were, because I couldn't afford to lose any of my spices or have them go off on me. If I don't know what I have, it makes it possible for poo poo to go off on me, which I get deeply annoyed by.

I make way more money now, and have a much more easy job than the restaurant, but I still twitch at having to throw out spices because there's one that got lost in a cabinet somewhere, forever alone. Also because of the hoarders, I'm hella annoyed about having too many of the same thing over and above what I can use. Also also, my boyfriend doesn't cook. Like, at all. Wherever I put the spices is where the spices remain. It's a perfect storm of neurosis and nobody loving with the stuff.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Teach me what to do with my courgettes!

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 20, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

In a feta basil and lemon salad. Zucchini fritti like The Ivy do, with parmesan in the crumbs and a tomato dip. Cold as a soup. As a gratin. Deseeded and peeled, steam the flesh and purée it into a soufflé with honey and pine nuts, then macerate the peel in vodka and make a courgette martini. Candy the peel and add it to a cheesecake. Make bagna cauda and dip it in.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

It's no ISCA entry, but my go to for burning through excess is to grate it, salt it, drain it, and then saute it to toss with your pasta shape of choice and whatever pesto your garden is overproducing. Eats really well cold out of the fridge for lunch and my kid will eat it for every meal given the chance.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Slice thinly crossways, season and dredge in cornmeal and fry them in a skillet with lard and oil until they're crispy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Torquemada posted:

In a feta basil and lemon salad. Zucchini fritti like The Ivy do, with parmesan in the crumbs and a tomato dip. Cold as a soup. As a gratin. Deseeded and peeled, steam the flesh and purée it into a soufflé with honey and pine nuts, then macerate the peel in vodka and make a courgette martini. Candy the peel and add it to a cheesecake. Make bagna cauda and dip it in.

Nephzinho posted:

It's no ISCA entry, but my go to for burning through excess is to grate it, salt it, drain it, and then saute it to toss with your pasta shape of choice and whatever pesto your garden is overproducing. Eats really well cold out of the fridge for lunch and my kid will eat it for every meal given the chance.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Slice thinly crossways, season and dredge in cornmeal and fry them in a skillet with lard and oil until they're crispy.

You all know in your hearts what you should do

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

https://www.the-pasta-project.com/orecchiette-pasta-with-zucchini-speck/

I usually do this. You can use smoked pancetta instead of spec if you prefer it or you find it easier to source.

Make sure you have top notch cherry tomatoes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just started doing this on the small ones we've been getting, but if they are an inch thick or less, just put them under the broiler after coating with salt/oil. In like 10-20 minutes they are browned, super soft, and just delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You’ve all got to stop answering in the thread, and start preparing your menus for ICSA 73: Courgette

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 20, 2023

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You’ve all got to stop answering in the thread, and start preparing your menus for ICSA 73: Courgette

You're not my supervisor!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

You're not my supervisor!

What about soupervisor tho

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm thinking about getting a pasta maker. I have a KitchenAid mixer and was planning on getting an attachment.

Is that the way to go? Or are the hand crank/standalone versions better?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

DaveSauce posted:

I'm thinking about getting a pasta maker. I have a KitchenAid mixer and was planning on getting an attachment.

It’s a very good way to go. The con is that if you turn out really liking making fresh pasta, the KA one will end up feeling really small. The major pro is it being motorized. It’s SO much easier than hand cranking.

Your bigger option that is motorized is the Mercato Atlas 180 with motor, but that’s 3x the price.

IMO, go with the KA, and if you turn out really loving making fresh pasta, you can upgrade to the Atlas for $250ish and gift the KA to a friend.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had a manual pasta machine and it was a colossal pain in the rear end and I got rid of it. Nothing about it makes sense to me at all from a usability standpoint. It's really put me off the idea of making fresh pasta at all, but if I were to try again it would definitely be with a KA attachment.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DaveSauce posted:

KA attachment is great. Works well, easy to clean (just brush it off), only drawback is kind of small capacity, but that's never been a huge deal for me. A motorized standalone one might be better, but even with the motorized KA one I feel like I need 3 hands to use it so I can't imagine using a handcranked one by myself.

If you've never made fresh pasta before, it's a real treat and the cost of ingredients:reward ratio is off the chart. You also need a pretty nice chunk of counter space, preferably contiguous.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Kid-friendly stovetop recipes.

I'm teaching my 7-year-old how to cook. He knows how to use the microwave. He's too clumsy to use the oven. He's getting pretty good at using the stove. And chopping things with a knife.

So far he knows how to make grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas by himself. I'm looking for other recipes that require him to:

-Rough chop ingredients. Like slicing apples, cutting zucchini into disks, or cutting a potato into french fry strips. Need a recipe that can tolerate different sized pieces.

-Sautee and fry food. Place a non-stick pan and turn on the stove. Add the right amount of oil or butter. Sautee or fry something without burning it.

-Cook soups or stews. Use a Dutch oven on the stovetop, place ingredients in order, learn the difference between boil and simmer, set a timer to check on slow-cooked dishes.

What recipes can you recommend for that?

BTW, induction stoves are great for teaching kids to cook. They won't turn on if they don't detect metal over the burner. And they turn off after 30 seconds if they stop detecting metal. If a kid turns on the wrong burner, or forgets to turn it off (as long as they remove the skillet), the burner won't stay on.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Raw fish question:

I want to try my hand at some sushi at home. Should I be freezing all fish before trying to eat it raw? Looking stuff up online about whether I can eat a costco salmon filet raw or not gives such contradicting evidence. I understand there is no such thing as sushi-grade but parasites are real and the fda does have some loose guidelines on it...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It seems contradictory because the fish that you buy at Costco, for example, or anywhere that's not the bumper gap between a dayboat and the dock it pulled up to, has already been frozen to preserve it on the boat.

Freezing can kill parasites, and keeps them from growing while frozen, but freezing the fish again at home will affect the texture and taste much more than the flash freezing that already happened.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kwolok posted:

Raw fish question:

I want to try my hand at some sushi at home. Should I be freezing all fish before trying to eat it raw? Looking stuff up online about whether I can eat a costco salmon filet raw or not gives such contradicting evidence. I understand there is no such thing as sushi-grade but parasites are real and the fda does have some loose guidelines on it...

No. Unless you're buying it right from a fisherman at the dock, it was flash frozen on the boat. Freezing it again will gently caress the texture up. Ideally for sushi at home you should buy stuff that's still frozen so you can control how it was thawed and know how long it's been sitting around.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Bagheera posted:

I'm teaching my 7-year-old how to cook. He knows how to use the microwave. He's too clumsy to use the oven. He's getting pretty good at using the stove. And chopping things with a knife.

So far he knows how to make grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas by himself. I'm looking for other recipes that require him to:

-Rough chop ingredients. Like slicing apples, cutting zucchini into disks, or cutting a potato into french fry strips. Need a recipe that can tolerate different sized pieces.

-Sautee and fry food. Place a non-stick pan and turn on the stove. Add the right amount of oil or butter. Sautee or fry something without burning it.

-Cook soups or stews. Use a Dutch oven on the stovetop, place ingredients in order, learn the difference between boil and simmer, set a timer to check on slow-cooked dishes.

BTW, induction stoves are great for teaching kids to cook. They won't turn on if they don't detect metal over the burner. And they turn off after 30 seconds if they stop detecting metal. If a kid turns on the wrong burner, or forgets to turn it off (as long as they remove the skillet), the burner won't stay on.

Pancakes, french toast, and sauces to top will hit all of those requirements while still being pretty forgiving and allowing for lots of variation within the repetition. Fruit sauces can be as simple as macerated berries and fresh whipped cream, or more complicated like an apple compote or caramelized bananas. Throw is some bacon/sausage/eggs and you've got a complete meal. Good on you for giving your kid a chance to learn how much fun cooking can be!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You can also give them a task to chop brioche slices into strips to make French toast sticks!

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Pancakes are great for learning heat management since they show exactly where the pan is hottest. Less of an issue with induction, but still an incredibly valuable skill to acquire.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kwolok posted:

Raw fish question:

In addition to all that’s been said already, I have made sushi loads of times at home, it’s great fun and I’ve never been ill or made anyone I’ll with it. I usually use salmon, tuna I’ve used has been disappointing (probably because I didn’t buy mega expensive stuff), some cooked fish works as well, like smoked mackerel

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bagheera posted:

Kids in my experience love to eat pasta; and most pasta dishes are very simple - plus having some pasta dishes in their repertoire will serve them very well when they eventually move out and have to cook for 1 on a tight budget.

They’ll learn chopping skills, how to manage 2 things at once (a pot of boiling water with pasta cooking in it and a pan with the sauce; and how to time things so both are ready at the same time) and also if you stick to traditional recipes they’ll learn how to use restraint and proper seasoning to make cheap dishes with only a handful of ingredients taste amazing.

Once your kid is old enough to use the oven safely you can branch out into pasta bakes, which will serve him very well when he needs to cook an easy meal for a larger group

https://www.the-pasta-project.com is a treasure trove of resources.

Pastagrammar.com is also excellent, and they have other Italian dishes besides pasta; plus they have a YouTube channel so he can watch the dishes being prepared

As an aside - I hope you’re teaching him how to use a knife and chopping board safely including how to keep a knife sharp, and that a blunt knife is a dangerous knife.

I’d also teach him how to make stews and curries and chilli and beans and stuff - these are really easy and forgiving to make, important for living alone on a budget; and curries are a great way to teach about spices and combinations of spices, how to use a mortar and pestle, frying aromatics and spices to release more flavour, etc.

Edit - almost forgot; get him to watch some Jacques Pepin videos on YouTube on how to make an omelette properly. It’s also a very useful thing to know how to do and a great lazy meal for one, and it’s a nice balance of simple, but with a little technique to practice.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He’s 7. That’s like first grade.

You know your kid best, but if he’s too clumsy to put something in the oven, I’m not sure about a heavy Dutch oven full of boiling liquid. As an entree into soups, can he just do canned soup for weekend lunches a couple times? Open a can of Progresso and he can get the idea about the right temp (simmer vs. boil), safe handling, using a timer, etc.

Lots of salad and fruit salad fit the bill for chopping. Regular scrambled eggs (or add scallions or cheese, etc.) are basic but include skills like whisking and temp control.

Ultimately you probably want to look into kid cookbooks. ATK has a bunch — skip the picture books, obviously, but ones like Kids Can Cook Anything, the Young Chefs/Scientists series, DIY Cookbook are all right in the 8–12 range. You can almost certainly find them at your library.

The most important thing is to let him lead and just do the things he thinks are cool. Nothing will kill a love of any activity faster than your parent pushing you to do it.